• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

cartman414 said:
But with the amount of levels involved in every single playthrough, fatigue sets in. (Not to mention of course that DC and Rondo had alternate characters that added interesting playstyles to the mix.)

But almost any game from the past two generations is far longer than SCIV... I really can't understand this. The game is not long compared to most modern games. For a SNES game it's of good length, longer than some games and shorter than others.

Again, I'm pretty sure that length has nothing to do with your actual complaint here and it's just about how much you enjoyed the game, or, more appropriately, didn't enjoy the game. I thought the game was amazing and absolutely do not think that it was too long.

And you're putting too much weight on the stuff unique to SCV4. To call those evolutions and then call the branching paths that added extra depth gimmicks is nothing short of hyperbole.

But how much does branching paths actually affect the gameplay? It doesn't, that much...

Like in RoB on TGCD, so you beat the game and then you go back and replay levels over several times until you find the alternate exits, then play those alternate levels. They're fun while they last, sure, but they don't go anywhere different and you get nothing much for your efforts. How is this better than just having you go through the levels as you go along? If there were better rewards it'd be more worth it, but as it is it just feels like alternate levels just for the sake of having them...

I mean, I find some of the ways you find the alternate levels clever, and it adds something to the game -- the wall with the hidden bomb in it, for instance. But as I said I just don't see it as THAT big of a difference.

And I just don't care for moves/movesets that allow your character to overpower enemies. (See also: Cape Mario in Super Mario World.)

... Did you say earlier that you had a bigger problem with the attack range, that is how you can hit anything because of the sprite size and range? Sure, the game has a big sprite, meaning you can't see far, and the whip is very long. I don't mind this at all, but to me that makes more sense as a complaint than just "I wish the controls were worse".

Removing the 8-way whip restored the missing challenge and once again required the player to use caution and finesse.

And returned the series to its frustrating and often-not-fun roots. Great. That was not an improvement. Again... learn how to make levels that fit the new weapon. Don't remove it and give up!

See Mega Man, some people dislike the charge shot balance in MMIV, but by the second or third game with the charge shot in it, it was balanced. The same would have been true of 8-way whipping had they not abandoned it.

One important thing that set the old entries apart from the Metroidvanias was the importance of making do with a limited moveset, and the stuff you could do with your whip in SCV4 belonged more in a Metroidvania.

Then why don't they have 8-way whipping in Metroidvanias... :(

I'm as much against stiff controls as the next guy (see my complaints regarding Zelda 1's controls), but SCV4's 8-way whip is an example of too much freedom.

No, it isn't. Not at all. I guess this is where we disagree, but seriously, how is it better to make it a lot harder to, say, hit flying enemies? To make it so you have to just hope they come in range without hitting your or that you have the right special weapon... no, the 8-way whip is far better.

And that's why in Bloodlines, I always play as the character who has the diagonal attacks in the air (Morris), as opposed to on the ground (Lecarde). It's much more useful to be able to attack diagonally while jumping, because of which enemies the diagonal attacks are most useful against.

What you say generally here is true, except that for me SCV4's lack of challenge combined with Simon's slow walking speed (not an issue in other games where you're busy watching out for enemies and whatnot) make things monotonous at times, and that combined with the large stage count makes the entire ordeal feel overly drawn out by the end.

Castlevania characters with whips are always very slow moving. Look at all three NES games, you move very slowly and stiffly... that's one thing SCIV didn't improve on. Rondo sort of did, but with Maria only; Richter's not an improvement (unless you really, really like that usually-worthless backwards jump thing...). It's kind of frustrating, but it definitely was a series tradition. As you say about some things, it was definitely was done to make it a bit harder, to restrict your options... and while I could complain, as I said before, with strong enough weapons as you have in SCIV it's really not a problem. You get places fast enough.

Two things: 1) playing as Maria is a far better paced experience, and 2) she's an optional character.

Better paced? I don't know about that... true about her being optional, though.

Again, too many moves isn't always a good thing. Interesting how you mentioned the charge shot in the MM games, since that became an unwelcome substitute when it came to boss strategies.

Sure, simplicity can be good. I'm not saying that all games need very complex control schemes. I do still like many NES games after all... but I just think that too few options is also a problem.

I don't agree about the charge shot there either though, a replacement for boss strategies, really? I don't think so... sure, 5 and 6 are somewhat easy compared to 1-3 (4 is kind of in between), but it's not because of the charge shot, I'd say, and the way that you need to play the bosses in a certain order is very much intact. This is even more true in the X games and beyond, charge shots stayed in the Mega Man series long-term, but many Mega Man games are very, VERY difficult... X5, X6, all four Zero games, MM&B, and more... in my opinion some of those might be too hard. But of course charge shots are just one thing, there are lots of factors in just your controls in MM games... that X5 added ducking but removed the ability to shoot through walls, for example. I'm not going to analyze all of those now or something... I guess I'm just saying that yes, designing controls and such is quite complicated and there are definitely a lot of factors to consider.

Still, I think the Castlevania series would be better off with 8-way whipping in more games. :)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
YESSSSS

edit: complaining about the continue screen? if you die in sotn you are teh suck

Fuck I died all the time on the XBLA verison (I like to blame the d-pad). And yes, the continue screen is fucking annoying.

A Black Falcon said:
But almost any game from the past two generations is far longer than SCIV... I really can't understand this. The game is not long compared to most modern games. For a SNES game it's of good length, longer than some games and shorter than others.

Again, I'm pretty sure that length has nothing to do with your actual complaint here and it's just about how much you enjoyed the game, or, more appropriately, didn't enjoy the game. I thought the game was amazing and absolutely do not think that it was too long.

It was long for a stage based CV. Metroidvanias are typically longer because there's generally more stuff to do. It's kind of respective of genre. And length does have a lot to have to do with the enjoyment of a game. A game too short will definitely feel unsatisfying. Make a game too long, and it starts feeling drawn out, and I got that feeling with SCV4.

But how much does branching paths actually affect the gameplay? It doesn't, that much...

Like in RoB on TGCD, so you beat the game and then you go back and replay levels over several times until you find the alternate exits, then play those alternate levels. They're fun while they last, sure, but they don't go anywhere different and you get nothing much for your efforts. How is this better than just having you go through the levels as you go along? If there were better rewards it'd be more worth it, but as it is it just feels like alternate levels just for the sake of having them...

I mean, I find some of the ways you find the alternate levels clever, and it adds something to the game -- the wall with the hidden bomb in it, for instance. But as I said I just don't see it as THAT big of a difference.

Branching paths add more potential levels without padding the length, giving the game added replay value while balancing the length of separate playthroughs.

And the alternate levels add a LOT more to the gameplay experience than some arguably gamebreaking whip tricks ever would.

... Did you say earlier that you had a bigger problem with the attack range, that is how you can hit anything because of the sprite size and range? Sure, the game has a big sprite, meaning you can't see far, and the whip is very long. I don't mind this at all, but to me that makes more sense as a complaint than just "I wish the controls were worse".

There you go. But to say that not having 8-directional whipping equates to worse controls is a loaded statement.

And returned the series to its frustrating and often-not-fun roots. Great. That was not an improvement. Again... learn how to make levels that fit the new weapon. Don't remove it and give up!

Personally I was fine without the 8-way whip. I think it would be more at home in a Metroidvania, as a special powerup.

See Mega Man, some people dislike the charge shot balance in MMIV, but by the second or third game with the charge shot in it, it was balanced. The same would have been true of 8-way whipping had they not abandoned it.

It's arguable that the charge shot never belonged in classic Mega Man.

Then why don't they have 8-way whipping in Metroidvanias... :(

Lol.

No, it isn't. Not at all. I guess this is where we disagree, but seriously, how is it better to make it a lot harder to, say, hit flying enemies? To make it so you have to just hope they come in range without hitting your or that you have the right special weapon... no, the 8-way whip is far better.

And that's why in Bloodlines, I always play as the character who has the diagonal attacks in the air (Morris), as opposed to on the ground (Lecarde). It's much more useful to be able to attack diagonally while jumping, because of which enemies the diagonal attacks are most useful against.

One word: timing. One of the awesome things about old school Castlevania is setting yourself up to counter an enemy and nailing them. 8-way whipping is unquestionably a better weapon for the job, but herein lies the problem: it makes it too easy.

Castlevania characters with whips are always very slow moving. Look at all three NES games, you move very slowly and stiffly... that's one thing SCIV didn't improve on. Rondo sort of did, but with Maria only; Richter's not an improvement (unless you really, really like that usually-worthless backwards jump thing...). It's kind of frustrating, but it definitely was a series tradition. As you say about some things, it was definitely was done to make it a bit harder, to restrict your options... and while I could complain, as I said before, with strong enough weapons as you have in SCIV it's really not a problem. You get places fast enough.

Here's the thing though, the challenge that came from other areas, such as avoiding traps and destroying enemy gauntlets, is what kept it interesting and perhaps even justified the slow walking pace. With the amount of ease you could destroy many enemies in SCV4, there wasn't much of a point.

Better paced? I don't know about that... true about her being optional, though.

Better paced in that she could run through stages, which perfectly complemented the ease in which she could destroy various enemies.

Sure, simplicity can be good. I'm not saying that all games need very complex control schemes. I do still like many NES games after all... but I just think that too few options is also a problem.

I don't agree about the charge shot there either though, a replacement for boss strategies, really? I don't think so... sure, 5 and 6 are somewhat easy compared to 1-3 (4 is kind of in between), but it's not because of the charge shot, I'd say, and the way that you need to play the bosses in a certain order is very much intact. This is even more true in the X games and beyond, charge shots stayed in the Mega Man series long-term, but many Mega Man games are very, VERY difficult... X5, X6, all four Zero games, MM&B, and more... in my opinion some of those might be too hard. But of course charge shots are just one thing, there are lots of factors in just your controls in MM games... that X5 added ducking but removed the ability to shoot through walls, for example. I'm not going to analyze all of those now or something... I guess I'm just saying that yes, designing controls and such is quite complicated and there are definitely a lot of factors to consider.

Still, I think the Castlevania series would be better off with 8-way whipping in more games. :)

It's not about simplicity so much as it is about having too many powerful tools at your disposal.

LowParry

I like how it all came to an end. Very well done. Yeah, i remember that loading screen. gave me time to take a piss before I continued my 8 hour gamefesting.

four-two

Banned
Wow, the end of this episode... and the ending music from Super Castlevania IV, damn, the music of that game is sooooooo great, i loved, i finish that game 7 time in a row, that was so good...

Anony

he complains that the later castlevanias doesnt have location varieties?
lol, he obviously didnt play OoE or PoR, they had alot of locations outside the castle

NeoUltima

No doubt IV has the best atmosphere(art/music style) of them all.

Also, I often dream that Lords of Shadow will break the 3D shit-curse. I really think it will this time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I hated SOTN for the fact that it made me think I beat it, and then said "sorry bro, halfway there" RAGE

alr1ghtstart said:
I hated SOTN for the fact that it made me think I beat it, and then said "sorry bro, halfway there" RAGE

"wait, there is more of this incredible, fantastic, sextacular game?! FUCK YOU CAPCOM!"?

Are you mad? there is a good reason why I play SOTN almost every year. The game will never get old.

Jazzem

Great review!

Funny how the games seem to be so nostalgic and classic for him, I can relate with something like the Sonic series. Castlevania though I've only really discovered in the past few years, but I have to agree with him on IV's brilliance :D One of these days I will get round to Symphony of the Night, though he did perfectly highlight my annoyances with Playstation loading times there...

And yeah, doesn't OoE go back to Simon's Quest a lot? I wonder what he'd think of that...:p

suikodan

Augemitbutter said:
that nostalgic feeling totally got me at the end.

kudos to the nerd!

Yeah, I had that same feeling. Seeing all those scenes with the stairs or seeing the multiples iterations of Dracula over the years. Ahhhh, the memories...

Siyou

heh, as much as i don't want to admit, i fucking agree with this guy.... SOTN was fantastic and it would be nice to see more 2-d games that didn't only involve the castle. Nothing against the metroidvanias... Much love for them on my part... Got Soma all the way to 99 on Aria and collected every soul on both Aria and Dawn. Beat Circle of the Moon on probably 4 different modes gorwing up. Hated Portrait of Ruin. Played OoE and LOVED it. There's just too much of the same though. I'm not saying I want all games to be like the classic. But it wouldn't hurt to have some. I know one came out for VC... It's about damn time.

Jay Sosa

Excellent series ending, and yeah I'll never understood the lack of a simple continue option either (same as in many other games where you sometimes even have to watch the intro again like in DDS1&2)

Also have to agree that there should be a simple from left to right Castlevania again, I dont wanna go back to the same stages again and again.

Only thing that I missed is that he didn't mention the great OST.

He sounded so sad at the end, makes me feel sad that classic CV is gone too :(

At least we've got CV Rebirth coming out! Hopefully more classic CV will follow :D

Pretty cool, though I disagree with his opinion on SC IV, I loved the whole Castlevania AVGN series. The big problem, IMO, isn't that he didn't cover Rondo (though I was expecting it over the well-known SotN), it's that didn't he even really spend any time or effort at all with Bloodlines' short-ass minute or so. It was like, 'hey, this game is great but not as great as SC IV'. What was the point if you weren't going to give at least as much time as the others?

andymcc

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

a few years ago, i got into the super metroid versus symphony debate with this guy i know. i was talking about how awesome the boss battles in symphony are, he was clueless as to what i was talking about, he told me that i must be mistaken because the game ended at richter. :lol

HUELEN10

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=3447

This is fucking AMAZING!

EDIT (Just finished watching): Oh my fucking god! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think this is my favorite nerd video, ever! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mr. Rolfe, if you are reading this PLEEEEEASE put this on the next DVD!

He forgot to add the part where Super Mecha Death Christ showed up to battle Donkey Kong Jesus riding a puff of smoke.

smdcvdkj.jpg

smdcvdkj2.jpg

HUELEN10

VariantX said:
Damn near speechless. Probably one of the most entertaining things ive seen all year. :lol
Is it just me, or did it feel like it had something in common with Half life: Full Life Consequences? TO me, it felt like that at times, which is why it was so good!

Top Bottom