• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FoxHimself said:
Yeah, although he wasn't 100% horrible in the bucket video.

Also, what's up with his hair? It looks like it wants to be the next Marge Simpson.

He plays almost all of the extra characters in his videos though. You just never see him without a costume in the AVGN videos.

maharg said:
I really hate the guy who does some of these other videos with. He just seems so uncomfortable and douchy.

The truth is Mike's actually a pretty nice guy. He's suppose to be douchy in the Board James videos because he's called "Mother Fucker Mike". I've talked to Mike and he's a very nice guy.

RagnarokX

maharg said:
I really hate the guy who does some of these other videos with. He just seems so uncomfortable and douchy.
Mike Matei is the guy who plays most of the characters in the AVGN videos and draws the title screens for each episode. But yeah, he's not so good playing himself.

Gravijah

Cow Mengde said:
The truth is Mike's actually a pretty nice guy. He's suppose to be douchy in the Board James videos because he's called "Mother Fucker Mike". I've talked to Mike and he's a very nice guy.

I love Mother Fucker Mike. :lol The new Board James was awesome.

RagnarokX said:
Mike Matei is the guy who plays most of the characters in the AVGN videos and draws the title screens for each episode. But yeah, he's not so good playing himself.

Mike does a lot of hard work behind the scenes even if he doesn't show his face in the episodes.

Rayven

aka surume
bucketTime.jpg

:lol

maharg

idspispopd
Cow Mengde said:

I'm not intending to rag on him as a person (but I can see why you might think I was), just saying that he irritates the hell out of me in a lot of the videos. Like, more than I feel the 'character' is supposed to. It was really really bad in the "old video formats" video. I wanted to shove a laserdisc down his throat.

turk128

Now I want to see a horror flic of this. Just with Hollywood chump change, I bet James could make a really entertaining one.

Cow Mengde said:

I'm sure, but he certainly completely hides it in the Board James videos... he's quite annoying and unlikable there. I mean, like the Hero Quest video. Hero Quest was/is one of my favorite games ever, I've played so many hours of that game... and James did a fairly good job with his part. Mike's though, was just so annoying. Yes, I get it, you need patience for a game of that level of complexity. It's still a pretty simple game though, compared to many others...

I know it's all a joke, but still I found Mike's attitude in that episode particularly irritating, and it's not that much better in many of the others.

As for the Mr. Bucket review, I agree, he probably could do a fine horror film... I'm really not into horror though, so I don't think I would want to watch it. I just don't like the genre that much.

maharg

idspispopd
TelemachusD said:
That video is unwatchably bad apart from his cameo.

I've found this whole series about on par with the Nerd's more dramatic outbursts (I don't think very highly of those, btw). Somehow I don't mind it as much from TNC, though. Maybe because he indulges less.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Was Jack Bros released in English and someone just sent him the JP version because it's more common?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
TelemachusD said:
That video is unwatchably bad apart from his cameo.

I've always wondered why GAF doesn't like the TGWTG crew. I happen to find most of them quite entertaining.

And keep in mind that they shot Kickassia in about 5 days, with almost none of them being classically trained actors (aside from Cinema Snob). It's a pretty impressive feat that I'm sure few of us here would be able to manage.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah, there was a North American release. The import version is just cheaper.

Yeah, Jack Bros. is probably the most expensive US release. If you don't mind spending extra the US version is worth it if you care about the story because the game does have text, which is only in Japanese if you get the import, but the large price differential means most people would probably just rather deal with the Japanese...

There are, however, eight games that really were only released in Japan. Four are very rare and expensive, the other four a bit more common. With the 14 games released in the US (several US-only), that makes 22 games total, not counting unreleased titles, homebrews, etc, which is far too few...

I know I've said it before, but I like the Virtual Boy. The 3d is so well done and impressive, and as a longtime Game Boy fan I don't care that it's just four shades of color. The only major bad thing about it is how badly it did and how few games there are. :(

... I mean, I can understand many of the reasons why it failed, and some of them are pretty good reasons. Others aren't. But the system itself, the games, and the 3d are so good that I just don't think the bad side matters as much in comparison. I've never liked that video of his, too critical (it's not THAT hard to see which parts are walls in Red Alarm...).

Also, I'll never understand why Nintendo chose to release the Virtual Boy version of Panic Bomber but not the SNES version... that makes absolutely no sense.

As for this video, he's right about Jack Bros. that it's fun, but makes little use of the Virtual Boy's 3d. You're mostly just on a flat plane. It'd have been great if the system had lasted a little longer, so more games with 3d or scaling in them, like Bound High, Dragon Hopper, Zero Racers, etc. could have been released for it... remember that the VB pretty much only had one generation of games. First generation titles usually don't max out what a system can do.

Jack Bros looks pretty good, actually.

about the whole red color thing vs game boy color, you have to understand how unappealing it is to look at just red colors. If the virtual boy did use black and white/green like the Gameboy, it would have been easier on the eyes. I mean, think about how some games use red to point things out in games; Crysis used a red outline around enemies at lower difficulties because it stood out. It's hardly ever used for the HUD or text; it's for pointing things out, or needing to warn you about something. That was all you saw on the virtual boy. It's a color that has too much presence.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Seraphis Cain said:
I've always wondered why GAF doesn't like the TGWTG crew. I happen to find most of them quite entertaining.

And keep in mind that they shot Kickassia in about 5 days, with almost none of them being classically trained actors (aside from Cinema Snob). It's a pretty impressive feat that I'm sure few of us here would be able to manage.
I dont count Spoony as TGWTG, but I enjoy Linkara and I'll watch Cinema Snob, NC and the Nostalgia Chick when I have some free time. And sometimes Lord Kat's Until We Win Stuff is interesting.

krae_man

I paid way too much for a US version of Jack Bros. I need to actually play through the entire game, I think I've only got to like level 3 or 4. I should finish it at some point.

Seraphis Cain said:

The thing is most of the time they come across as forced, mainly NC because he does too many videos. Even AVGN was running out of steam, hence the switch to monthly releases.

I do like some of NC's stuff but most of it is just yelling. Spoony / Linkara / Snob on the other hand are well worth watching.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A Black Falcon said:
I know I've said it before, but I like the Virtual Boy. The 3d is so well done and impressive, and as a longtime Game Boy fan I don't care that it's just four shades of color. The only major bad thing about it is how badly it did and how few games there are. :(

You must be very eager to try out the 3DS then! :D

Speaking of which, I'm a little bit worried now that I've seen the Virtual Boy Review. I hope the 3DS won't be stuffed with too many gimmicky games like the Virtual Boy. From what I've seen, the problem with VB games, apart from the eyestrain and weird red/black combination, is that even though the 3D effect enhances the games a bit, it just doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't remove any confusion one might have were they 2D, and it doesn't do anything a 2D console couldn't do. Mario Clash or Wario Land would still be 100% playable in 2D, because even without 3D you can tell which plane is the foreground and which is the background — see games like Abe's Exoddus where you've got foregounds and backgrounds.

I still can't figure what kinds of gameplay 3D can allow that 2D cannot. I'm half-expecting the system not to have 3D as its major differentiating/enhancing feature compared to the DSi. It has to be something else —like online features or a new kind of controls—, with 3D just being the icing on the cake.

Seraphis Cain said:

Kickassia was filmed in 3 days actually. The fourth day was done in the hotel.

MechaX

Seraphis Cain said:

Like HK-47, I never really directly affiliate Spoony with TGWTG Crew but I find him funnier than the TGWTG Crew on a regular basis. But Linkara's History of Power Rangers bit got me quite interested in his work, Cinema Snob is cool, and I still watch the Nostalgia Critic on a regular basis. But besides these three, TGWTG has a shit load of people that I've never really been interested in. I will say that Kickassia did make me take a look at Angry Joe's stuff.

But it's also the fact that the particular Santachrist scene was, in my opinion, definitely the most awkward/unfunny moment of Kickassia. And it definitely doesn't help when people are trying to wade through that scene for the Board James cameo and don't really know the context of the scene.

Kilrogg said:
You must be very eager to try out the 3DS then! :D

Speaking of which, I'm a little bit worried now that I've seen the Virtual Boy Review. I hope the 3DS won't be stuffed with too many gimmicky games like the Virtual Boy. From what I've seen, the problem with VB games, apart from the eyestrain and weird red/black combination, is that even though the 3D effect enhances the games a bit, it just doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't remove any confusion one might have were they 2D, and it doesn't do anything a 2D console couldn't do. Mario Clash or Wario Land would still be 100% playable in 2D, because even without 3D you can tell which plane is the foreground and which is the background — see games like Abe's Exoddus where you've got foregounds and backgrounds.

I still can't figure what kinds of gameplay 3D can allow that 2D cannot. I'm half-expecting the system not to have 3D as its major differentiating/enhancing feature compared to the DSi. It has to be something else —like online features or a new kind of controls—, with 3D just being the icing on the cake.

I take it that you've never played a 3d game such as a Virtual Boy game, then... I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

I mean, if you want to see the difference, first play a Virtual Boy in emulation on a computer, and then play the same game on an actual Virtual Boy. The difference is immediately apparent -- what looks like just parallax scrolling or scaling sprites in the emulated version looks instead like true 3d movement and layers in the version on the actual system. It really makes a difference, emulation does not depict the games as they are. I at least think that the difference between something looking like it's swinging in and out in the standard 2d sprite scaling sense (such as the swinging balls in level 1 of VB Wario Land played in emulation) and something actually looking like it's moving towards and away from you (such as the same obstacles in the game played on an actual VB) is significant.

As for your point about confusion, I'm not sure what you mean, but in some ways I disagree. 3d can reduce the confusion of not being sure where something is by placing it in a clearly different part of 3d space -- compare Mario Clash emulated or screenshots to the actual game for instance... sure 2d can do that, sort of, but it's better and much more effective in 3d. It also allows for 'unnecessary' but cool effects too, like how the pause menu in Wario Land seems to hover above other layers of the screen. 2d can't really do that.

VB 3d is pretty good too, far better than anything red/blue glasses can do. On that note, referring to the AVGN video again, the reason why there wasn't anything like a headstrap is that the 3d image is created by mirrors that move very quickly (fast enough to create the system's 50hz image, so 50 times per second I imagine). Each eye's picture is actually being created by a single line of LEDs, and via the mirrors it bounces each line into place fast enough that it appears to be a single image. It's red because only red LEDs were cheap and good enough at the time -- this is one reason why some in Nintendo wanted to delay the system, so that they could wait for the technology to improve so they could consider more colors. They didn't, of course.

As for the 3DS, I am interested to see how it works, and how good the 3d effects are... I don't know if I'm "very excited" yet, but I definitely am interested, yes, both because of the 3d and because I like Nintendo handhelds in general. (I don't have a DSi, but I do have a GB, GBC, GBA, and DS)

Oh, and I would say that yes, the biggest downsides to the VB are the eyestrain and the fact that it gives some people headaches. I don't get headaches from it, but some people do, and that's too bad. (It is true though that after looking into the thing and seeing nothing but black and red for a while, it usually takes a while for your eyes to adjust once you look back out into normal light...) Also you cannot watch someone else who is playing, which is bad -- you can't see it without playing yourself. Something like the 3DS which does not even require glasses would be a huge improvement on that factor at least, I think.

None of the VB games I've played were gimmicky. You would think they would be, but the 3D effect is graphical, so gameplay still takes precedence.

Wario Land for VB is a legendary game. Teroboxer was the closest to a Super Punch Out sequel. Mario Tennis was pretty fun. I haven't played everything (only had these three games) so I know not all games are exceptional, but I stand that the VB was vastly underrated.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
None of the VB games I've played were gimmicky. You would think they would be, but the 3D effect is graphical, so gameplay still takes precedence.

Wario Land for VB is a legendary game. Teroboxer was the closest to a Super Punch Out sequel. Mario Tennis was pretty fun. I haven't played everything (only had these three games) so I know not all games are exceptional, but I stand that the VB was vastly underrated.

You just named the three games other than Jack Bros worth playing though.

Teleroboxer is a lot better than anyone gives it credit for. Intresting note about the game: Teleroboxer was produced by an internal team at Intelligent Sytems (Nintendo R&D1) known as Team Deer Force. The game was only the second title that Team Deer Force produced. The first was Super Metroid.

HK-47 said:
You just named the three games other than Jack Bros worth playing though.

No way. Really, of the 14 US releases, I'd say that 8 or 9 are pretty good games, and several more decent... and several of the import-only titles are good as well.

Vertical Force is a fantastic game, classic Hudson shmup greatness. It's my second favorite VB game after Virtual Boy Wario Land, which is indeed a true classic and the system's best game... but Vertical Force is great too. It's a bit short, as many VB games are, but really fun while it lasts. Red Alarm is perhaps the system's best tech demo, and a decently fun game as well (I at least do not usually find it hard to tell walls from places you can fly). Mario Clash is simple, but not bad. Galactic Pinball is fun, I loved Kirby's Pinball and this feels slightly like it. Panic Bomber is a good game, though it doesn't make much use of the 3d. Again I really wish that Nintendo had released the SNES version in the US instead... it has a 5 player mode (with multitap)! Oh well...

Of the eight Japan-only releases, Insmouse no Yakata is the most interesting. It's a 3d maze game where one stick controls movement (from box to box I think, you don't have real free movement) and the other the cursor which you shoot at enemies with. It's kind of Lovecraft-inspired I believe. Space Squash isn't bad either, sort of like 3D Pong... and I'd say that Virtual Bowling (much better than Nester's Funky Bowling I think, based on what I've seen) and Space Invaders: Virtual Collection (what it sounds like, with both classic and "3d-ized" graphics modes) are good as well, if they weren't so insanely expensive. V-Tetris is alright, but nothing special -- it's just standard Tetris, pretty much. It is the cheapest and most common import-only title though. Virtual Lab's another insanely expensive one, and it's an okay but not great looking puzzle game. The other two are an SD Gundam strategy game and a not-too-interesting (in my opinion) fishing game that is also incredibly expensive.

Of the unreleased titles for the system, a full working version of one, Bound High, recently leaked. Playing it on a real system is of course quite difficult, but it's worth taking a look at if possible, or at least look a the Youtube videos of the game... you play as a bouncing ball, so it makes use of the 3d mostly to animate your character. :)

Coolio McAwesome said:
Teleroboxer is a lot better than anyone gives it credit for. Intresting note about the game: Teleroboxer was produced by an internal team at Intelligent Sytems (Nintendo R&D1) known as Team Deer Force. The game was only the second title that Team Deer Force produced. The first was Super Metroid.

R&D1 and Intelligent Systems are different divisions. R&D1 mostly did handheld games, being Gunpei Yokoi's division, so they worked on a lot of GB and VB titles. They only did a couple of major-console titles, the most prominent indeed being Super Metroid... Intelligent Systems, though, is a completely different studio I'm pretty sure... unless you're saying that that was a combo team of both studios? Huh.

Goodie goodie, been waiting rather impatiently for this one :D

This is gonna be good :lol

EDIT: Holy cow I've got a tag now! (and a good one at that :lol)

Majine

Banned
Oh my, this one is 20 minutes long. Just for one game? :lol I mean, in contrast to the 51 games in the last episode.

Top Bottom