• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mikey Jr. said:
Half way point, the fps takes a nose dive and just starts going at like 1 frame per second. No explanation for that. Just going to download the wmv file and watch it that way.

I've noticed that some of the ad banners on the site will slow down the video. Scroll your window so that the top banner is out of sight and the framerate fixes itself. I have no idea.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
can anyone upload the cheetamen music? I cant access to youtube ;_;

but I would like the genesis one

CryptiK

cd-cover.jpg

shuri

Banned
The action52 games were made by a single guy in his basement. You can find the original scanned design documents and promotional material he would send to rental stores and at retail. He had the whole cheetamen thing all planned out to be a huge franchise.

It was a one-man operation.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Btw, the background image on one of the puzzle games for the Genesis version (a pharaoh mask) looks suspiciously similar to Deluxe Paint's promotional images that were bundled with the application.

Deluxe Paint was a commonly used tool in the creation of graphics for the older consoles. It was developed by none other than Electronic Arts.

Jasoco

Banned
ChronicleX said:
The thing is most of the time they come across as forced, mainly NC because he does too many videos. Even AVGN was running out of steam, hence the switch to monthly releases.

I do like some of NC's stuff but most of it is just yelling. Spoony / Linkara / Snob on the other hand are well worth watching.
My favorites are the Critic, Chick and the new chick Obscurus Lupa. Occasionally I watch Spoony, but he rarely does anything I want to watch. AVGN is also top of my list of course. Actually, everything James does makes me laugh. Whether it's the Nerd, Board James or one of his other persona's.

Isn't reviewing old movies actually the Critic's normal job? He implies it all the time, and there was that video where he quit his job shortly after starting up. If so, that would explain why he does so many and has so much time.

But for the most part, I don't enjoy a lot of his troupe. It all depends on what they review. I mean I don't read comics or play old PC FMV games or watch Wrestling.. but if it's something that interests me I'll watch it.

Also, this is awesome:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/mjtv/specials/23624-ipad-review
He does it so well. I've never seen his "character" though.

Wizpig

Varjet said:
AVGN visits Nintendo's E3 booth:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-screwattack/101813

Where did he get that shirt from?
AVGN videos... ok, great, he's in-character and all... too bad he also made some videos "as James", and let's just say he sounds like a non-gamer.
He hasn't got hype for anything, he looks bored, and "Donkey Kong was ok, Zelda... meh I don't know if I'll buy it, Castlevania XBLA is Castlevania, the 3DS oh I haven't played any games on it but it's not worth the hype..."
Also the ScrewAttack guys are... ugh...

Damn.

One of the comments on those E3 videos:

god the nerd has been such a douche during e3, complaining about everything like a ******* woman on her period.
u would expect the nerd which was originally called "the angry nintendo nerd" to say something good and be excited about stuff, instead he just *****es about everything, just go back to the "golden age" of gaming and die there.

Wizpig said:
AVGN videos... ok, great, he's in-character and all... too bad he also made some videos "as James", and let's just say he sounds like a non-gamer.
He hasn't got hype for anything, he looks bored, and "Donkey Kong was ok, Zelda... meh I don't know if I'll buy it, Castlevania XBLA is Castlevania, the 3DS oh I haven't played any games on it but it's not worth the hype..."
Also the ScrewAttack guys are... ugh...

Damn.

One of the comments on those E3 videos:

That's the point of the nerd. To bitch, gripe, moan, and be angry.

And yes, James Rolfe is a lapsed gamer.

Wizpig

TL4E said:
He should keep the "angry" theme exclusive to his AVGN stuff.

No offense James. :lol That's just bad.
But that's the AVGN.
Here you can also find E3 videos with James as James, and they are even worse, if that's possible.

ArjanN

Wizpig said:
But that's the AVGN.
Here you can also find E3 videos with James as James, and they are even worse, if that's possible.

Then he just shouldn't do this I guess. The angry nerd bit just doesn't work if he has to force it. He should save it for things that are actually shit.

ZAK

The skyward boner thing was pretty good, but otherwise he's not very good unscripted. It seems obvious that he can't really think of anything to say so he just defaults to talking about nutsacks.

The Cheetahmen theme is the most awesome music ever.

I downloaded all the remix versions I could find and put them in my Ipod, tell the story of the game to some friends and let them hear the music and they were totally hooked, so we went to a trip to Barcelona and one night we went to the night clubs and bar zone, when we were drunk we put the Cheetahmen remixes and we started to dance in the middle of the street, eventually more people came, thought the music was cool and started to dance, at the end we were like 30 people (10 of them were friends, he other people were from near pubs) outside the LOST pub dancing to the theme.
Then we arrived to the hotel, and they were two girls sleeping (friends also) because they didnt want to come to the party with us, so it was like 4am and we enterded with the Cheetahmen theme to the room, they started to laugh.
It was awesome.

We even used the theme in a short we did for university. :lol

Cow Mengde said:
http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/06/21/the-dragon-in-my-dreams/

Here's a video of him looking back on his life and why he made movies. It's actually pretty moving and emotional. It's not a comedy in anyway. This is his 300th movie.

That is awesome, James reminds me of a friend that also loves to do movies, and he has this great ideas and turn them into shorts, won some festivals too. I always tell him he will be someone important becuase he really has talent. Hes also very modest so that makes him even better.

G-Fex

RagnarokX said:
Rocky thing had me laughing, but overall bad episode. I almost turned it off during the first glitch goblin segment.

Yeah I would've liked a bit more glitches in games than gremlin that isn't really funny.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm not a big fan of him using different characters and this didn't change that, but man those Rocky glitches were cracking me up. :lol

ZAK

Cow Mengde said:
http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/06/21/the-dragon-in-my-dreams/

Here's a video of him looking back on his life and why he made movies. It's actually pretty moving and emotional. It's not a comedy in anyway. This is his 300th movie.
So he's something of a masochist then? He suffers nightmares, but seems obsessed with horror. He intentionally routinely plays the worst video games he can find and documents his experiences. "You're your own damn nightmare."

I really though he was going to talk about the Goldeneye glitch, especially since the glitch guy was saying get down at the end of the Rocky segment.
Unless that was just a reference to the game.

Top Bottom