• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA???
YOU CAN KILL THE EVIL MASKS IN SUPER MARIO 2??? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

As far as glitches go, I always thought that Stunts 4D had the best.

How exactly do you rotate like that after a head on collision?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhiRjQg1X14

Check out the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNzEH5LqL8&feature=related

And for the funniest one, IMO. How low can you go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYlKFtu7RNY&feature=related

This last one actually happened far too often. Like one in 5 races for me (I always drove at top speed).

Edit - Upon further searching, somebody actually survived the bounce?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bUAaRVs0S8&feature=related

nincompoop said:
I've gotta try out that Mega Man 2 glitch some time.

It works with the wall crawler device too. I used to do it as a kid. I wanted to see what would happen if you made it up in the clouds, and I ended up in the Megaman version of the minus world.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Terrible episode, besides two moments:

1) VHS tape glitch proof. Nerd backs up his nerd cred pretty hardcore!

2) Clubber lang glitch.

Doesn't forgive the rest of it though. Maybe the worst nerd episode ever. Besides maybe the bugs bunny fight.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
wow, edward norton really seems to be scraping the bottom of the acting jobs barrel

2San

2hwin36.jpg

That episode was definitely his worst since the Bugs Bunny bullshit. I hate it when he tries to make stupid ass characters like that. It always comes off as really dumb and forced. I just want to watch him sit there and bitch about stupid video game shit, not watch him talk to these silly ass characters.

However, the Rocky glitches were hilarious and saved this episode from being total garbage like the Bugs Bunny one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AnEternalEnigma said:
That episode was definitely his worst since the Bugs Bunny bullshit. I hate it when he tries to make stupid ass characters like that. It always comes off as really dumb and forced. I just want to watch him sit there and bitch about stupid video game shit, not watch him talk to these silly ass characters.

However, the Rocky glitches were hilarious and saved this episode from being total garbage like the Bugs Bunny one.

I think to some extent he doesn't realize WHY people enjoy his stuff. He loves making movies and working with special effects, and I think he has the most fun when he's doing stuff like that (even though it's his worst stuff).

I agree with you. To be honest, his commentary is nowhere as good as it used to be.

Cheerilee

RiskyChris said:
Was meh until he fucking pulled out a god damn VHS tape for glitch evidence.

The once and future king of nerds.
I got the impression that it was fake. That maybe he might have experienced that glitch long ago, but he replicated it today with modern technology, and then he simply recorded his reenactment to VHS and ripped it back to digital, and voila, suddenly it looks old.

Edit: Much better trick and more appreciated than his stupid leprechaun buddy.

thetrin said:
I think to some extent he doesn't realize WHY people enjoy his stuff. He loves making movies and working with special effects, and I think he has the most fun when he's doing stuff like that (even though it's his worst stuff).

I disagree. I think the Mr. Bucket video he did recently was the best thing he's done in a LONG time.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
thetrin said:

I agree with you. To be honest, his commentary is nowhere as good as it used to be.
Well, I can't imagine that "Guy who curses at video games" is exactly what he longs to be remembered by, going by all the effort he puts into these videos.

That said, I quite enjoyed this one. A bit corny, but it knew that, so I felt it worked.

maharg

idspispopd
ruby_onix said:
I got the impression that it was fake. That maybe he might have experienced that glitch long ago, but he replicated it today with modern technology, and then he simply recorded his reenactment to VHS and ripped it back to digital, and voila, suddenly it looks old.

Edit: Much better trick and more appreciated than his stupid leprechaun buddy.

I doubt it. It wasn't exactly *that* unusual for people to video tape their gameplay back then. It wasn't even very hard to do.

Anth0ny

Wasn't the great of an episode, but still fun.

I don't think the characters are the main reason why certain episodes suck. I mean, the Ninja Gaiden episode had a fucking awesome ninja character :lol

RevenantKioku said:
Well, I can't imagine that "Guy who curses at video games" is exactly what he longs to be remembered by, going by all the effort he puts into these videos.

That said, I quite enjoyed this one. A bit corny, but it knew that, so I felt it worked.

People seem to forget this. Unlike 99% of internet celebrities James Rolfe has some real talent. AVGN isn't even his most enjoyable stuff IMO.

To be fair I do agree that it's a little cheesy and stupid at times but he is indeed improving. From the Shit Pickle episode to this Glitch Gremlin episode there's loads of improvement. Personally this episode started out stupid but I found the Glitch Gremlin to be tolerable and even have his moments.

Ominym

Banned
I usually end up watching his videos when I can, and honestly, I think any time he has a "Character" on it usually ruins the segment.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Seraphis Cain said:
Seconded. I did it myself a few times.
Indeed. I have a few of my gaming achievements captured on VHS. Somewhere at my parents' house is a tape of my playing through the first Sonic the Hedgehog and collecting all the Chaos Emeralds.

I also videotaped myself playing through all four endings of Phantasy Star III. I was especially proud of that back in the day.

Whimsical Phil said:
Indeed. I have a few of my gaming achievements captured on VHS. Somewhere at my parents' house is a tape of my playing through the first Sonic the Hedgehog and collecting all the Chaos Emeralds.

I also videotaped myself playing through all four endings of Phantasy Star III. I was especially proud of that back in the day.

Ha! I did the exact same thing. I remembered taping myself playing through Sonic the Hedgehog completely and getting all the chaos emeralds. Everyone borrowed the tape from me in fourth grade and watched it in amazement. :lol :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone else think that it's starting to seem like James doesn't want to do AVGN anymore? He's already slowed output, and...eh, I don't know. It really just seems to me like he wants to abandon AVGN and concentrate on his bigger projects.

Personally I'll be surprised if he goes beyond episode 100.

Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone else think that it's starting to seem like James doesn't want to do AVGN anymore? He's already slowed output, and...eh, I don't know. It really just seems to me like he wants to abandon AVGN and concentrate on his bigger projects.

I don't think he feels "trapped" as AVGN or anything, but I think it's clear he wants to mix in other things than just doing nothing but screaming about 20-year-old video games all the time. Unfortunately for him, no one seems to care about his other stuff. All his Board James stuff and other things don't get 1/16 the views that his AVGN videos get.

Medalion

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:

This has been sort of obvious to me since I watched his recent E3 2010 videos... he was really struggling to stay in character to come up with unnecessary swear words every few seconds about things.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Medalion said:
This has been sort of obvious to me since I watched his recent E3 2010 videos... he was really struggling to stay in character to come up with unnecessary swear words every few seconds about things.

I just think he's poor at improvising. He needs time to make these. Plus he was likely tired. His E3 videos were awful.

eXistor

Seraphis Cain said:

I agree, except for a few bright spots (Ninja Gaiden was one of his best imo), the quality has been downhill for about a year. I totally get the sense he forces himself to do these videos and I have the feeling 2010 is gonna be the final AVGN year for him. I can see why though, doing the same schtick over and over can be very demanding and tiring. I hope he'll do more Board James episodes, though I can see him falling into the same trap with that character.

I also agree that the E3 videos were kind of cringeworthy. He was very much out of his element and came across as someone who was forced to be there talking about new videogames that obviously don't interest him.

Whoa... what? Is that how you're supposed to pronounce 'Bob-omb'? Like "buh-BOMM"?

I always thought it was "BOB-omm". Have I been living a lie?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I thought Link holding up the kid looked cute! Collecting pee bags and random ladies refilling his health not so much. And yes being made to start all the way back at the beginning when dying really does kill the game.

Top Bottom