• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

SO AWESOME!!!

My instant message ringtone is a Link treasure get
I watched a speed run described by the nerd a few hours ago
The power glove!!!!

That was one of the best yet!

oatmeal

Banned
Not his best one...

But was still good.

He made Death Mountain harder than it actually is. I don't have too many problems going through it.

Much better than that Game Glitch abortion last month.

Sucks that we have to wait a whole month for a new one now when there's one that sucks.

Great ep I do not really like zelda 2 but I do think he does a great job of reviewing it!

2e4de6s.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

He says it's a good game, just very frustrating...

Only if you suck at video games.

So glad he did this. I have a friend who trolls to no end how bad Zelda II is, and I just say he sucks at it and that's why he hates it. You could sleep with hookers, kill villagers, and destroy forests. GTA, eat your heart out.

AniHawk

TSA said:
He says it's a good game, just very frustrating...

Only if you suck at video games.

So glad he did this. I have a friend who trolls to no end how bad Zelda II is, and I just say he sucks at it and that's why he hates it. You could sleep with hookers, kill villagers, and destroy forests. GTA, eat your heart out.

My biggest issue with Zelda II is restarting at the beginning of the game when you get a game over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah, the ending is a nice callback to the original Power Glove video, where he lands the plane on the carrier in Top Gun.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I don't see the drop in quality. I'm glad he's mellowed out the character and the videos have become more informative anyway.

this game gave me an ominous feeling as a kid, that hasn't changed. the villagers behave strangely and death is painful, it is a nightmare that can't be reproduced these days.

james looked kinda bored at the beginning, he came back pretty quick though. dunno why, but i hate how he wrecks his classic posters in some episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AniHawk said:
My biggest issue with Zelda II is restarting at the beginning of the game when you get a game over.

The only place that takes more than 5 minutes to get to from the start is the final palace, and you can actually continue there.

AniHawk

Man God said:
The only place that takes more than 5 minutes to get to from the start is the final palace, and you can actually continue there.

I dunno, I grew tired of the travel to the 7th dungeon.

AniHawk said:
I dunno, I grew tired of the travel to the 7th dungeon.

Takes way less time than traveling through any of the 3d Zeldas.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Great ep I do not really like zelda 2 but I do think he does a great job of reviewing it!

2e4de6s.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

You fail.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Never thought it was hard at all.

However, there were some sections that were frustrating since there weren't a lot of clues as to what to do next at times.

How would anyone know to use "spell" on that flying final boss to be able to hit it too? :p

Jazzem

Haha, ending was great.

Nice episode, if not his best. I pretty much agree with him regarding Zelda II, though perhaps in a more positive limelight
plus I prefer it to the first game.

Very entertaining episode.

I personally like it when he does well known games as well as obscure ones.

I hope James continues doing this thing for a few more years. I don't care if some people think his 'heart isn't in it' anymore. I appreciate his hard work and look forward to and enjoy every single episode he's done.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Never thought it was hard at all.

However, there were some sections that were frustrating since there weren't a lot of clues as to what to do next at times.

How would anyone know to use "spell" on that flying final boss to be able to hit it too? :p

I thought you had to use Thunder?

Yeah, Thunder, and wasting like all of your magic (after you cast Jump and Shield). No magic left for Life.

Fucking hated that boss, only beat him once, only to get my ass handed to me by shadow link.

Edit - Has anyone here beaten shadow link without the crouching glitch? You saw his actions in the video. He's like impossible to hit.

ntropy

SlipperySlope said:
Cool. But nobody here's done it? My dad's the only one I know who's beaten him the "natural" way.

Edit - Holy shit he got lucky in the end.
i couldn't beat him til i used shield. :p

USD

Augemitbutter said:
james looked kinda bored at the beginning, he came back pretty quick though. dunno why, but i hate how he wrecks his classic posters in some episodes.
This. It kills me. :\

USD

maharg said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XJ49mdh_c

Video of someone doing it, supposedly with a PC keyboard on an emulator. Doesn't look like he slowed it down or anything, and it's a pretty tight fight. Basically it's a fight of attrition.
The standoff at 0:56 is so awesome. :lol

It's been a long time since I played the game, but I don't remember using the crouching glitch either.

SlipperySlope said:
Cool. But nobody here's done it? My dad's the only one I know who's beaten him the "natural" way.

Edit - Holy shit he got lucky in the end. He had nothing left.
Like I said in the other Zelda II thread, I beat Shadow Link when I was like 9 years old, first try, no glitches or cheap tricks. Shit, I didn't even have Nintendo Power.

I'm also one of those gamers he refers to who's made it to Gannon without a sword. :D

I assumed the Nerd was going to demo the crouching trick at the end, but he found a pretty creative way to do it. :lol

Rash said:
He's right on the money.

Zelda II is "good but hard." Anyone saying it's a bad game is just plain wrong.

I came in expecting him to say it sucked! Wow, i'm gonna watch this right away... I never thought he would agree with me on this one. AVGN respect +1.

bigosc2k

Banned
It was nice to see a video review where he doesn't go bat shit insane on the cussing, but love the ending with the power glove

SlipperySlope said:
Is Quest 2 feasible without a sword? I have trouble with Quest 2 even with a sword. I hate those rooms with 3 bomb-eating triceratopses.
Probably. I haven't tried. Quest 2 is just fun and challenging on its own anyway.

BTW, do you know how to stun the Dodongos (triceratopses)? It's a pretty important trick if you're fighting lots of them.

Cyan said:
I've done that one too. ;) Not so bad once you've gotten the wand.
I'd say the hardest part is the section the Nerd shows in the video; I think it's level 5. You have to get through like 3 rooms full of blue darknuts without running out of bombs.

Parallax Scroll said:
Probably. I haven't tried. Quest 2 is just fun and challenging on its own anyway.

BTW, do you know how to stun the Dodongos (triceratopses)? It's a pretty important trick if you're fighting lots of them.

I'd say the hardest part is the section the Nerd shows in the video; I think it's level 5. You have to get through like 3 rooms full of blue darknuts without running out of bombs.

You stun them by having a bomb go off next to them. You can then kill them with one shot with your sword. I used to be good at doing this, but now I can't seem to get the timing right. They turn, and there goes your chance, one bomb gone.

You know whats sad? I used to play quest 2 over and over again thinking something would change. I was told that level 7 would turn into some kind of tree level on the 7th play through. I stupidly believed it. On the same file I went through Quest 2 about 7 times before giving up.

SlipperySlope said:
You know whats sad? I used to play quest 2 over and over again thinking something would change. I was told that level 7 would turn into some kind of tree level on the 7th play through. I stupidly believed it. On the same file I went through Quest 2 about 7 times before giving up.
Oh yeah, everyone on the playground assumed there was a 3rd quest.

The thing with stunning Dodongos is that not only do you kill them with 1 bomb instead of 2, but they drop a 4-bomb refill every time. So even if you miss a couple times you should come out of the battle with more bombs than when you started.

Natetan

John Dunbar said:
Funny that he used Error as an example of a useless NPC, since he's one of the useful ones in the game.

He should have talked about the whole Error/Bagu thing. (Isn't Bagu the useful one and not error?)

Anyway, I agree. I like the less raving lunatic and more complaining, but here's some trivia aspect of these recent episodes. Hearing him swear a bunch got old awhile ago. i mostly like it because he goes over old school NES games and some SNES games that I can sympathize about the difficulty with.

Has he covered deadly towers?

I always thought Zelda II was really hard. My brother and I were so happy when we got through all those rooms of damn blue darknuts to get the flute in level 5.

I also thought what he said about the enemy names was funny too. When I was a kid, I did think at least for a second or two 'where do they get these names from?'

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Natetan said:
He should have talked about the whole Error/Bagu thing. (Isn't Bagu the useful one and not error?)

When you talk to a man in Mido, he tells you to talk to Error again, and Error will then help you to get to the Island Palace.

sphinx

the piano man
zelda II's difficulty is way overblown and out of proportion.

I think most people played it wrong back then.

It was kinda like Super metroid, that you could go ahead and go deeper in the game with less weapons and skills but the game would be batshit insane and hard to beat.

Darknuts must be hit in the forehead to effectively beat them without trouble. Any other enemies require good timing while jumping and hitting but nothing a veteran gamer like most people here wouldn't master.

Music is awesome, it had many towns, nice temples, magic, weapons, interesting overworld, epic feeling from beginning to end.

It's a shame this masterpiece was mostly misunderstood.

Top Bottom