• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Teppic

SlipperySlope said:
Edit - Has anyone here beaten shadow link without the crouching glitch? You saw his actions in the video. He's like impossible to hit.
I did it on Virtual Console. You just have to be quick and approach him in lots of different ways.

bon

How does a no-sword run in Zelda 1 work? Wouldn't you run out of bombs and arrows? How do you even get far enough to obtain bombs and arrows?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, Thunder, and wasting like all of your magic (after you cast Jump and Shield). No magic left for Life.

Fucking hated that boss, only beat him once, only to get my ass handed to me by shadow link.

Edit - Has anyone here beaten shadow link without the crouching glitch? You saw his actions in the video. He's like impossible to hit.
I have, granted, it wasn't in the actual game but a fan game based on the final battle, but iirc they tried to make their Dark Link behave as much as the actual Zelda 2 boss.

ITA84

bon said:
How does a no-sword run in Zelda 1 work? Wouldn't you run out of bombs and arrows? How do you even get far enough to obtain bombs and arrows?
Aside from bombs and arrows, you can also use the candle. Later on, you can use the wand, which at close range works like the white sword; you might want to get it as soon as possible. Other than that, it's a Rupee-farming game and having a good strategy when placing bombs. There's a detailed swordless FAQ on GameFAQs, and there's also a 2nd Quest swordless playtrough on YouTube.

Cheerilee

SlipperySlope said:
Yep. In the days of the NES, myself, two of my brothers, and my cousin all beat it the regular way, as we had never heard about the glitch. A few years ago I replayed the game and found it extremely difficult (still didn't know about the glitch). Doubt I could do it that way today, as I'm in bad gaming shape.

Mael

Stumpokapow said:
A no-sword run in Zelda sounds like a pretty neat thing to give an achievement out for.

Even the fact that it's possible is kinda mindblowing especially if you look at the later games

OMG Aero

Mael said:
Even the fact that it's possible is kinda mindblowing especially if you look at the later games
Last month I was watching a live stream of someone playing through Wind Waker without using the sword and, granted there were some parts that he had to use it (Like early bosses when he didn't have many items and scripted parts like the last boss) but he did manage to get through the majority of the game without using it.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
OMG... I remember seen pictures of that BthF game!! I thought it got release, but since at that time I couldn't buy many games, I thought I miss it. But no wonder I never saw it or hear of it again, it was only release in Japan! WTF?!

This world is UNFAIR!!

G-Fex

Cow Mengde said:
My guess is he's going to revisit Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

As soon as I learned finally how it works by watching a playthrough video my mind was wrecked and dulled like a fucking dull knife. Most boring game ever in a good long time.

bon

Good episode!

Cow Mengde said:
I can see why he'd want to revisit that one in more depth. In the old video he only plays the game for like one minute.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, Thunder, and wasting like all of your magic (after you cast Jump and Shield). No magic left for Life.

Fucking hated that boss, only beat him once, only to get my ass handed to me by shadow link.

Yes. If you jump towards him while doing a downward thrust (aiming so that you will be slightly in front of him), and then hit the attack button when you're somewhere around his face, you will get a hit some/most of the time. This trick also works pretty well on the iron knuckles/skeletons.

Yeah, my guess would be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as well. He did go back and revisit Simon's Quest in more detail during his retrospective on the whole Castlevania series.

ckohler

Judging by that title card with the face blocked out, I think it's Jason from Friday the 13th. Jason wears a purple jumpsuit like that in the game.

Cow Mengde said:

I came to post this. He never got far in the game, and at the time declared it the worst game ever. And only really showed like 2 minutes of the game.

Justin Bailey said:
Yes. If you jump towards him while doing a downward thrust (aiming so that you will be slightly in front of him), and then hit the attack button when you're somewhere around his face, you will get a hit some/most of the time. This trick also works pretty well on the iron knuckles/skeletons.

I used that all the time against the iron knuckles. Works great against them. The trick I did was so the attack ended up between their upper and lower shield defense. Since the attack would cover both, no matter what they do you get a hit. On my one attempt at Dark Link I tried the same thing to no success. Perhaps it does work against him and I was too freaked out to get the timing right. I'll have to try again.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
wow :lol when he was playing Super BttF 2 and his reaction, I felt so bad for him. Sorta like that kid who wanted to play super mario world but all his family could afford was an NES.

Good episode.

Parallax Scroll said:
Yeah, my guess would be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as well. He did go back and revisit Simon's Quest in more detail during his retrospective on the whole Castlevania series.

My issue with his Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde video was he spent like 8 minutes talking about how he didn't want to play the game. Hyping you up to see the game. Then he bails out after one minute of gameplay. Left you having blue balls.

Regulus Tera said:
Super Back to the Future II looks amazing.
it's really not. graphically it's pretty good, and it sounds good too, but it's soooo freaking repetitive. you're on that goddamn hoverbike the whole game. LOADS better than the other games based on the movies though.

G-Fex said:

The only problem with Dr. Jekyll, is that there's really not too much to talk about. This last video was over 20 minutes. There's not nearly that much that can be said about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, unless he talks about other games too. But he made the comment of "one more game to redo", or some such.

On the other hand, I don't see how it could be any other game. He covered Friday the 13th pretty thoroughly. He covered Castlevania 2 again, like someone previously stated. Not much more to say about CV 2. Actually the whole Castlevania series really should never be covered again, he devoted a series of sequential videos just to cover most of the CV games.

And many of the other ones he sort of cut short he did in this last video.

Are there any other Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde games out there? The first one can only really cover, what, an 8 minute review at most?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
ChazAshley said:
wow :lol when he was playing Super BttF 2 and his reaction, I felt so bad for him. Sorta like that kid who wanted to play super mario world but all his family could afford was an NES.

Good episode.
Loved that part, made me think of the scene from BTTF 3:

Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".
Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.

SaintZ

This was amazing :lol The best in a long time!

His reactions were priceless!

2n6gsg3.jpg

mbri8w.jpg

2e651cg.jpg

(my favorite :lol )

Gomu Gomu

Great episode as usual :lol . AVGN is my favorite internet show ever. I'm amazed how it held up it's high quality all this time.

N4Us

SlipperySlope said:
Are there any other Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde games out there? The first one can only really cover, what, an 8 minute review at most?

Some computer games, no other consoles ones I know of though.

I'd like to see him try to take it on again though, I didn't beat the game but I think it's possible to beat quickly if you know how to play it, just that it seems really tedious to do.

His Super BTTF Reactions were amazing. Loved his reaction to the Jessica Rabbit phone number and the Top Gun plane flying off the screen. Would make such a great BAIL OUT GIF :lol

I had thought someone had made a fan-translation of Super BTTF by now, but I can't seem to find any. What's the deal?

Such a great episode!

Top Bottom