• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Jasoco

Banned
I loved his poke at George Lucas saying he was going to fix up his old reviews.

Also, I can't believe Japan got the only good BTTF game. I would give anything to own it. I like the cartoony look it has and it looks so much more fun. Like an arcade game.

I remember playing BTTF2/3 as a kid and having no idea at all what to do in the game.........now I know and WTF :lol

Same with Roger Rabbit, that game just never made sense at all to me

Fraeon

SlipperySlope said:
The only problem with Dr. Jekyll, is that there's really not too much to talk about. This last video was over 20 minutes. There's not nearly that much that can be said about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, unless he talks about other games too.

Or he could pad it out with movie talk.

I can see why he'd want to revisit that one in more depth. In the old video he only plays the game for like one minute.

That's about how far I got too. I played the game at this kid's house. Whoever bought it for him must hate him. My reaction was basically the same as that video. Confused, annoyed and gave up after a few tries.

Cow Mengde said:
That's about how far I got too. I played the game at this kid's house. Whoever bought it for him must hate him. My reaction was basically the same as that video. Confused, annoyed and gave up after a few tries.

After the AVNG episode I just had to try it with save states... I got pretty far but it was near impossible even with the save states, it took me like an hour to figure out why the hell insta-deaths happen

Tim-E

I've always fucking hated that part of Back to the Future Part III for Genesis. :lol Nice to see him finally play it.

SaintZ said:
This was amazing :lol The best in a long time!

His reactions were priceless!

(my favorite :lol )

Dude, I'm tripping out. The middle image keeps changing after some refreshes. Think my FireFox might be going crazy, as the image name stays the same.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I knew that Super BTTF2 game was going to be good before he even started it. :lol

And his reactions were priceless for that.

Also :lol at the Top Gun's plane flying out of the game.

Bisnic said:
I knew that Super BTTF2 game was going to be good before he even started it. :lol

And his reactions were priceless for that.

Also :lol at the Top Gun's plane flying out of the game.
I was kind of hoping it'd turn out to be just as shitty as the other games, just having the main theme.

KittenMaster said:
I wasn't able to watch the whole vid, but I got to watch the BttF part.

AVGN points out the lack of key songs like Power of Love, but in a way, Power of Love actually *is* in BttF NES, but it's so speed up and the instruments so different that it's almost unrecognizable without a direct comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixxt_AroBw

With that and the Johnny B. Goode version, am I the only one that thinks that LJN fucked up and accidentally made the music run three times as fast?

joetachi

PetriP-TNT said:
With that and the Johnny B. Goode version, am I the only one that thinks that LJN fucked up and accidentally made the music run three times as fast?
I was just thinking that its too much of acoincidence

G-Fex

KittenMaster said:
I wasn't able to watch the whole vid, but I got to watch the BttF part.

AVGN points out the lack of key songs like Power of Love, but in a way, Power of Love actually *is* in BttF NES, but it's so speed up and the instruments so different that it's almost unrecognizable without a direct comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixxt_AroBw

Also Marty being black hair and clothed might have to be with the fact that Eric Stoltz was Marty first so they started making that awful game around that time.

clHhx.jpg

I actually remember my cousin and I beating the original BTTF. It took us a few hours but when we got to the DeLorean part our collective minds were blown. Sure it looks like shut now but when I was younger and didn't know any better it was amazing. I also remember being supremely disappointed with the ending. While we were playing we made up crazy ass end game scenes and when we got the black screen with text we were pissed.

The one thing I never knew was the trick to landing in Top Gun. My mind was blown when he pointed out the numbers at the bottom.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ferrio said:
WOW. Wonder why it was sped up, seems to big of a fuck up to accidentally done it.
Here's the thought process:
1. Ya know, it'd be awesome to have a song from the movie in the game.

2. Wow this song is slow as heck and doesn't really mesh with the pace of action on screen.

3. Screw it, speed the song up.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
G-Fex said:
Also Marty being black hair and clothed might have to be with the fact that Eric Stoltz was Marty first so they started making that awful game around that time.

clHhx.jpg

I doubt that.
The NES game came out in 1989 (the same time as the sequel) and I doubt something that half-assed took 4 years to develop.

There were home computer BttF games released in 1985 but they were much different.

dwebo

Knux-Future said:
does this video glitch up for anyone when it gets to the western stage of the genesis game?

I can't watch the ending...

Phew, the video went haywire around there for me too (audio was still fine). I blamed it on my laptop, though I could rewind to earlier segments and it'd be okay. Thought I was going crazy!

LiveFromKyoto said:
Memory limitations? They probably couldn't have 3 minute songs looping in an NES game.

I don't think that's it. Zelda 1's overworld theme is pretty long.

Plus, it's MIDI. If you realize exactly how those files are generated, slowing one down doesn't make the file any larger. MIDI files are just a series of notes with a spacer in between. Just increase the spacer value, and boom, slower music.

maharg

idspispopd
LiveFromKyoto said:
Memory limitations? They probably couldn't have 3 minute songs looping in an NES game.

Nah, they were just lazy. Also they probably glitched the timer for the music playing code some time late in development and didn't catch it before release. The whole game screams lack of polish. Even put down to its normal speed, it being JUST the baseline of the song makes it quite repetitive anyways. And the main theme would have been better as well.

It's also entirely possible they didn't have the license to use Power of Love so they sped it up to make it sound just different enough. That certainly seems like the motivation for fucking up Johnny B. Goode.

$200

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
I don't think that's it. Zelda 1's overworld theme is pretty long.

Plus, it's MIDI. If you realize exactly how those files are generated, slowing one down doesn't make the file any larger. MIDI files are just a series of notes with a spacer in between. Just increase the spacer value, and boom, slower music.

Zelda 1's overworld theme is only about 40 seconds long.

Longest NES music I believe is the Solstice theme, but even that's shorter than 3 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNPxwnppU0

Carnby

im wondering if a gif of the Top Gun plane taking off and leaving Nerd's home could be combined with a David Caruso joke?

YEEEEAAAAAH?

Top Bottom