• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

CassSept

Meh, that was a pretty weak episode. Third in the row too :(
I hope he has something special prepared for 100th episode (maybe finally ET?). He hasn't reviewed a new truly horrible game for over half a year now :/ (though his Jekyll and Hyde retread was fantastic, one of his best).

-KRS-

He should dig into the vast pile of crap for the Famicom if he's running out of material. There are a LOT of "kusoge" games for the FC. But maybe he only does games that came out in the states, as that is where most of his fans come from. It's always more fun to watch if you have played the game yourself. He did do that Transformers game for the FC though, but I guess that's because it's Transformers.

HAHA FINALLY! I was wondering for years if this one game that I played roughly 17 years ago was one that anyone else even knew about. I'm not talking about Day Dreamin' Davey but of that one little clip during the intro.

The Rescue of Pops Ghostly. Holy crap. I was looking for that title for YEARS. I'm not sure if I still have it or if it was my friends years ago. Oh man I loved that sooo much as a kid. I was always scared playing it, but I loved it a hell of a lot. Thanks Nerd!

There's a new episode up. Daydreaming Davey.

The nerd will never run out of bad games to review. There is no way possible. He hasn't even touched Saturn, Turbo Graphx, Sega Master System, Game Gear, PlayStation, N64, and many more.

Honestly he needs to do WWF games. He could run a 4 part special just on bad NES WWF games. God, the first Wrestlemania game is so fucking godawful. I'm shocked he hasn't done it yet. There's so much to talk about, like how there are two much better wrestling games that came out before it (Tecmo Wrestling and Pro Wrestling), how it is nothing but punches and kicks, how the difficulty is litterally impossible if you chose anyone but Hulk or Andre, how Ted Dibiase's ass crack shows. How the title is bigger, better, badder.

I can almost envision the entire episode. WWF is too funny not to do. Come on James, get on it!

Good episode.

The thing is that he should REALLY start playing games on other systems. Why not more SEGA Master System games? Turbo-Graffix 16? SEGA Genesis? Why not 3D consoles like Nintendo 64 or Playstation? Why not more recent game systems like the Playstation 2, Xbox, or Gamecube? I'm just bothered by that fact that half of the games he reviews are on the NES.

He has ever game system known to man yet a lion share of his games are on the system that he started exclusively with. He's been getting better with more diversity over the years but I'd still like to see more of the crappy unknown games.

Arpharmd B said:
There's a new episode up. Daydreaming Davey.

The nerd will never run out of bad games to review. There is no way possible. He hasn't even touched Saturn, Turbo Graphx, Sega Master System, Game Gear, PlayStation, N64, and many more.

Honestly he needs to do WWF games. He could run a 4 part special just on bad NES WWF games. God, the first Wrestlemania game is so fucking godawful. I'm shocked he hasn't done it yet. There's so much to talk about, like how there are two much better wrestling games that came out before it (Tecmo Wrestling and Pro Wrestling), how it is nothing but punches and kicks, how the difficulty is litterally impossible if you chose anyone but Hulk or Andre, how Ted Dibiase's ass crack shows. How the title is bigger, better, badder.

I can almost envision the entire episode. WWF is too funny not to do. Come on James, get on it!

A non-wrestling fan will never understand why those games are bad. It would be like explaining why MLB 2010: The Show is better than MLB 2K10 to someone that doesn't watch baseball.

Loxley

Flying_Phoenix said:
Good episode.

The thing is that he should REALLY start playing games on other systems. Why not more SEGA Master System games? Turbo-Graffix 16? SEGA Genesis? Why not 3D consoles like Nintendo 64 or Playstation? Why not more recent game systems like the Playstation 2, Xbox, or Gamecube? I'm just bothered by that fact that half of the games he reviews are on the NES.

He has ever game system known to man yet a lion share of his games are on the system that he started exclusively with. He's been getting better with more diversity over the years but I'd still like to see more of the crappy unknown games.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't moved beyond the SNES era that much outside of his Superman 64 review partially because his NES collection is ludicrous. It's clearly the platform that he has the most affection and nostalgia for, so he tends to stick to it. I also think it's partially because the N64/PS1 generation was when console games started to become much more...forgiving (?), for lack of a better term. I think there are simply more games from the pre-N64/PS1 generations that were seemingly made to piss people off and punish the player, those types of games just meld better with the AGVN persona.

He does own modern consoles (a PS3 I believe), as he did brief reviews of the new Castlevania & Ghostbusters games last year due to a large amount of requests from his fans, but his passions generally lie in the late-80's/early-90's era.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Since this thread is bumped, here's a reminder for those in Virginia and the East Coast.

The Nerd will be at MAGFest. The event happens January 13th-16th. James will have three panels on the 15th.
There will be other guests as well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jasoco said:
The third movie pales in comparison to the other two piles of shit. :lol These shitty straight-to-VHS TMNT videos.

Coming out of their Shells and that shitty video posted above makes Turtles III seem like a genuinely great movie :lol

OK episode. And I'd like to see him do more shitty Master System games.

Fuck Day Dreamin' Davey. I could never beat the second level. No matter what I'd do, what gun I'd buy, whatever, the damn dude at the end would always survive the one shot I could get off and kill me in only one hit.

Anth0ny

The ending got me.

Great episode. I knew all about these Star Wars games from the Gametrailers retrospective, but it's always nice to see the Nerd's take on things.

I kinda think the ending was supposed to be referential to how off the fucking wall Darth Vader turning into a scorpion was, but maybe i'm overthinking it.

Many of his reviews end with him going off the deep end because of how bad/frustrating the game was...but in these games, he ended up on the best game of the bunch. So I'm assuming the end was a random way to send him off the deep end.

Jasoco

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
I kinda think the ending was supposed to be referential to how off the fucking wall Darth Vader turning into a scorpion was, but maybe i'm overthinking it.
Maybe.. maybe he's like Bowser's disguised minions in the first 7 castles. "Sorry, Luke. But our Princess Leia is in another Space Station."

rpmurphy

theinfinityissue said:
Probably just a reference to his "That's Bullshit" series.

BiggNife

Damn, I remember playing the Game Boy version of the JVC Star Wars game. It was basically identical. I think the farthest I ever got was the beginning of the first Death Star level.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ruby_onix said:
It's not THAT random when the start of every episode says that he'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in his ear.

Yeah, there's that. I like the idea of it being a lateral reference to the scorpion though.

Gravijah

OrangeGrayBlue said:
His episodes seem to be transitioning into less of his angry nerd schtick and more into straight reviews of old games that are bad...

I prefer the latter, to be honest. Hope to see him do more system reviews.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
He's really gotta stop bringing the episodes to a halt anytime something "wacky" happens in a game. Yes, Darth Vader turned into a scorpion. No need to spend 10 minutes on it.

Top Bottom