• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiryu

Twintown
Seedborn
Dreamsky
ermmm....
I am thinking hard but I am tired to think anyway and going to hit the hay tonight. ;)

Alex

My plan for town naming is the same as always: sit at the name entry screen for 30 mins to 1 hour, completely over think things, then give up and name it from the standard list of names I use for everything else.

Noaksey

Neo Member
My plan for town naming is the same as always: sit at the name entry screen for 30 mins to 1 hour, completely over think things, then give up and name it from the standard list of names I use for everything else.

I know that game.. it's the whole "I will be original" battle .. then go, "fine I'll use the same name i did last time"..

Yep. This is me naming Link every goddamn time.

I thought you were gonna go with NeoLeaf. It's so fitting and adorable.
I'm in EU so it'll prob get taken by the time I submit it. But anyway, I'm not sure I like the idea of crazy capitals in a town name lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For the new page. Our new chatting area.

That will link you to a browser based IRC app.

Or:

You know the drill quote to see.

Wrathie83

Neo Member
Does anyone share a birthday with a AC neighbor?

I share mine with Mallary.

7vLwuGw.png
I share mine with Pango ( not my fave but that's cool).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, town names have to be unique? Like usernames on a website?
No, but it's just a way to know who is who when they come to visit. Especially as names can be the same (because we can't deny someone using their own name). If there were multiple Bobs from Bobtown you wouldn't know who was who. Unique town names just helps rectify this problem.

Basically it's just a GAF thing not an ingame thing.

No, but it's just a way to know who is who when they come to visit. Especially as names can be the same (because we can't deny someone using their own name). If there were multiple Bobs from Bobtown you wouldn't know who was who. Unique town names just helps rectify this problem.

Basically it's just a GAF thing not an ingame thing.

I see. Thanks for the info, BGBW.

Kokonoe

Banned
Omg this is amazing XD

Too bad the 3DS XL has such lousy audio output =/ I feel like even with headphones, I'm still not getting the audio range I'd like.

Yeah, I've been listening to this for the past hour. So addicting. :D

And oh? it does? Kinda bummed to hear that, hopefully it isn't too low. The Wii U Game Pad on virtual console games is suuuuupeerrrr low.

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, I've been listening to this for the past hour. So addicting. :D

And oh? it does? Kinda bummed to hear that, hopefully it isn't too low. The Wii U Game Pad on virtual console games is suuuuupeerrrr low.

I've found the Wii U Gamepad volume to be fine compared to the 3DS XL personally. At least I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've found the Wii U Gamepad volume to be fine compared to the 3DS XL personally. At least I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

It's only during Virtual Console games it gets low. Outside of that the Game Pad is loud, like you can hit the menu button during a Virtual Console game and hear how loud the menu is, but the game itself will be very low by comparison. Test out Super Metroid if you have it.

Yuripaw

Banned
It's only during Virtual Console games it gets low. Outside of that the Game Pad is loud, like you can hit the menu button during a Virtual Console game and hear how loud the menu is, but the game itself will be very low by comparison. Test out Super Metroid if you have it.

Hm, maybe you're right. It might be a little lower during VC games than other stuff. Was just playing Super Mario World, and I still don't think it's as bad as 3DS XL though, lol

Here's a really good question! Perhaps the experts here at GAF can lend a hand.

I'm a Canadian expat and I currently live in Taiwan. I'm going to download this from the eShop when it drops on the 9th.

I will, however, be traveling to New York City on the 22nd for two whole weeks.

So the question is, seeing as how I'll be switching up time zones in a major way (losing a whole day) for two weeks, should I change the 3DS internal clock/calendar to compensate or leave it be?

I hear that it's no fun when you "cheat" and tamper with the time settings, and that's definitely not my goal, but I'd also like the times of day to match up when I'm in NYC playing it for those two weeks.

Would love some advice on this.

Noaksey

Neo Member

I'm a Canadian expat and I currently live in Taiwan. I'm going to download this from the eShop when it drops on the 9th.

So the question is, seeing as how I'll be switching up time zones in a major way (losing a whole day) for two weeks, should I change the 3DS internal clock/calendar to compensate or leave it be?

I hear that it's no fun when you "cheat" and tamper with the time settings, and that's definitely not my goal, but I'd also like the times of day to match up when I'm in NYC playing it for those two weeks.

In my mind, it's is cheating if you do it to gain something, but if you are seriously, moving time zones then change the time, cause eventually it will be back to normal after anyway..

MoonGred

Yep. This is me naming Link every goddamn time.

I'm in EU so it'll prob get taken by the time I submit it. But anyway, I'm not sure I like the idea of crazy capitals in a town name lol.

When in doubt always go with link/LINK. Same with pokemon.
I'm glad I'm not alone with this whole naming issue. Most stressful time of a game

Oh yeah that's absolutely fine, the game's meant to be played in real time so it'd be worse if you didn't change it.

Time travel cheating is doing something like putting bells in your bank account, then fastforwarding to 2099 so you get 100 years interest on the money!

MoonGred

Oh yeah that's absolutely fine, the game's meant to be played in real time so it'd be worse if you didn't change it.

Time travel cheating is doing something like putting bells in your bank account, then fastforwarding to 2099 so you get 100 years interest on the money!

I didn't even know you could gain interest.
This might sound really ignorant but seeing as its AC I don't know if it was sarcasm or not, but someone was saying that you can plant a money sack to grow a money tree, is this true. The fact that you can hit a rock for money makes me think its possible :|

Betty

Banned
I didn't even know you could gain interest.
This might sound really ignorant but seeing as its AC I don't know if it was sarcasm or not, but someone was saying that you can plant a money sack to grow a money tree, is this true. The fact that you can hit a rock for money makes me think its possible :|

Yeah it's true, you need to plant a considerable amount to have a good chance of it growing though, and it will only produce money once.

Ken

Oh yeah, I need to do this too next week.

In my mind, it's is cheating if you do it to gain something, but if you are seriously, moving time zones then change the time, cause eventually it will be back to normal after anyway..

Hey, thanks guys! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be doing it to "gain" anything. I'd literally be losing a whole day (fly from Taipei on the 22nd during the day, arrive in NYC on the 22nd during the day), so I don't see what I could gain from that.

Cool! I was just going to leave it alone.

So it won't affect anything major, having to set the clock back like that?

MicH

I'm seriously excited to hear what DJ Slider has up his sleeve. So far I'm liking his stuff more than KK Sliders stuff

LukeTim

Does anyone know if it is possible to send letters to friends in other towns in New Leaf?

AFAIK, this hasn't been possible yet in previous versions... but it seems like an obvious thing to add.

darklin0

Banned
Does anyone know if it is possible to send letters to friends in other towns in New Leaf?

AFAIK, this hasn't been possible yet in previous versions... but it seems like an obvious thing to add.

I think it was a feature in City Folk but I don't think they brought it back for this version.

Betty

Banned

It was possible in City Folk thanks to WiiConnect24.

zigg

It was possible in City Folk thanks to WiiConnect24.
Which really kind of blows my mind as to why it's apparently gimped in NL. We have SpotPass which is basically WC24 for the 3DS… surely this should work. At least with Best Friends.

Still, I'm not totally clear on what the real answer is regarding cross-town mail. I've just heard it's not possible, or maybe not possible with an enclosed item.

Betty

Banned
Which really kind of blows my mind as to why it's apparently gimped in NL. We have SpotPass which is basically WC24 for the 3DS… surely this should work. At least with Best Friends.

Still, I'm not totally clear on what the real answer is regarding cross-town mail. I've just heard it's not possible, or maybe not possible with an enclosed item.

I'm pretty confident you can just visit their town and drop off the letter then and there, but it does seem that sending to other towns from your town is unlikely.

Also WiiConnect24 is going offline soon I think, so the feature will be removed from City Folk too.

zigg

I'm pretty confident you can just visit their town and drop off the letter then and there, but it does seem that sending to other towns from your town is unlikely.
Right, that worked in Wild World too, but it narrowed the use case for sending mail to leaving a surprise behind. Which is fine, but not what I really want :)

Also WiiConnect24 is going offline soon I think, so the feature will be removed from City Folk too.
Yep. This shutdown for CF doesn't bother me personally—never got into CF much—but I don't like the precedent.

LukeTim

Can you visit Best Friends' towns anytime you like? It's obviously not the same if they have to invite you and be on at the same time...

EDIT: Animal Crossing wiki seems to imply that you can send letters to anyone on your friend roster and the villagers in their town:

AC Wiki said:
Villagers of the Player's town, and, in Wild World and City Folk, villagers on another Player's friend roster.
Other Players living in the town, and, in Wild World and City Folk, Players on the friend roster.

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Letter

I have no idea, since I never used the online features with WW and never owned CF.

EDIT2: I guess it probably means when you're in their town you can choose to send to them...

zigg

Can you visit Best Friends' towns anytime you like? It's obviously not the same if they have to invite you and be on at the same time...
You can visit anyone's town at any time if you have that town's Dream Code, but the changes you make are not permanent.

You can only visit towns live when the other player is online, be they Best Friends or not. However, as I understand it, gates can be opened only for Best Friends if the host wishes. You can also message Best Friends if you're online even if no gates are open.

EDIT: Animal Crossing wiki seems to imply that you can send letters to anyone on your friend roster and the villagers in their town:
Yes, but you had to deliver the letter in person to their post office while you are visiting in Wild World. This works in WW, CF, NL.

City Folk allowed you to send a letter from your post office to a player in another town and it would be delivered via WC24.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom