• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
Can you share it online without that iOS app?

Sorry if the question's dumb, I'm still educating myself.

The game creates QR codes. The app is just for pics you want to put into the AC format and get them in game. So you can share whatever you make through the screenshot feature that New Leaf has.

rouken

- subject to losing your town (though not your license) over SD card corruption, can't back up save (specific to this game… of course, I'm not aware of a way to back up the physical version either)

so backing up the files on my pc wouldn't help if the saves got corrupted?

zigg

so backing up the files on my pc wouldn't help if the saves got corrupted?
No. The way I've seen it explained is that whenever your AC:NL (and only AC:NL; other SD-card-based games don't do this) save is updated, an identifier or signature is written to both the SD card and your 3DS' internal memory.

The upshot is that if your backup has an older save on it than your 3DS thinks it should have, the backup will not work.

MicH

So you can't transfer the save file to another SD card if you decide to get a bigger one. Well, you better get it before you start the game if you feel like you wanna get a bigger card down the line, then!

zigg

So you can't transfer the save file to another SD card if you decide to get a bigger one. Well, you better get it before you start the game if you feel like you wanna get a bigger card down the line, then!
No, that works just fine! You just have to make a "clean break" from one SD to another. Process:

1. Save to your old SD card one last time.

2. Shut down 3DS all the way.

3. Copy files from old card to new card.

4. Start up 3DS with new card.

After this process, the identifier matches perfectly, so there's no problem. If you tried to go *back* to your old card after using the new at this point, though, you risk losing both saves.

Bururian

I swapped to a 16gb card just in case. Increased my space 4x. I did it because I'm doing digital, and I'm sure as I play, the extra data will grow, taking up even more space.

As far as the "best Friends" list goes. do you have to have your 3DS open for them to be able to access your town? I'm not quite sure how that works.

MicH

No, that works just fine! You just have to make a "clean break" from one SD to another. Process:

1. Save to your old SD card one last time.

2. Shut down 3DS all the way.

3. Copy files from old card to new card.

4. Start up 3DS with new card.

After this process, the identifier matches perfectly, so there's no problem. If you tried to go *back* to your old card after using the new at this point, though, you risk losing both saves.
Ohhhh alright. Not so bad then

zigg

As far as the "best Friends" list goes. do you have to have your 3DS open for them to be able to access your town? I'm not quite sure how that works.
The game has to be running and you have to open your gate to Best Friends.

In Wild World, you could admit visitors while your DS was "sleeping", though. Your character even gained a cute little nodding-off animation while you did it :)

rouken

No. The way I've seen it explained is that whenever your AC:NL (and only AC:NL; other SD-card-based games don't do this) save is updated, an identifier or signature is written to both the SD card and your 3DS' internal memory.

The upshot is that if your backup has an older save on it than your 3DS thinks it should have, the backup will not work.

that seems really unfair. how about for the physical cart? the same rule applies?

Tangeroo

System transfer is complete but I almost had a heart attack when my Animal Crossing game was no longer there. It turns out, I just have to "redownload" it from the eShop. I'm also guessing this means that all of my progress is completely gone but that's a small price to pay.

Bururian

System transfer is complete but I almost had a heart attack when my Animal Crossing game was no longer there. It turns out, I just have to "redownload" it from the eShop. I'm also guessing this means that all of my progress is completely gone but that's a small price to pay.

Let me know how big the game file is when you've finished downloading it. I am curious. I have 110,000 blocks on my card now, so I'm pretty safe. The old card I had only 12,000 blocks left.

I've been playing since 2006.
I pre-ordered the bundle the day after I found out about NA finally releasing the bundle.

I AM SO EXCITED. 3 MORE DAYS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wonder if Moe will return. Him, Kid Cat, and Filbert were my favorite.

tumblr_mbt3z498OU1qeg6edo1_r1_400.gif

Tangeroo

Let me know how big the game file is when you've finished downloading it. I am curious. I have 110,000 blocks on my card now, so I'm pretty safe. The old card I had only 12,000 blocks left.

I'm currently downloading it but I'm pretty sure it said "6,002" blocks.

A friend of mine left me a little bundle last night!

ibqRzYXlyjSgcl.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to transfer my old system to my new baby without obliterating my copy of Animal Crossing!

Man that XL looks awesome. Kinda wish I just waited and got that one but I love my red XL.

Enjoy it!

One of the things that annoyed me about Wild World and City Folk was how long it took to have a friend come to my town. Once we'd decided to play multiplayer, I had to run to my gates, go through the whole dialogue and gates-opening process, wait for them to attempt to come to my city (with all of the dialogue/animation involved on their end), and so on. I liked the 'personality' of it the first time, but eventually I got a bit tired of how long it took.

Is it any quicker this time around? Do any multiplayer elements seem more streamlined?

zigg

that seems really unfair. how about for the physical cart? the same rule applies?
It does close an item duping exploit loophole—give item to friend, turn off 3DS, revert save—and probably negates some other exploits as well.

I'm not aware of any way to back up the physical card either, but then again, I trust the physical card way more than I trust an SD card.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered a 16gb San Disk Ultra SDHC card. Figure I'll eventually need more than the 4gb of space if I start buying a few digital games like this. Thought about going with 32, but doubt I'll get many retail games digitally as I like being able to sell them off.

Tadale

Going for the physical cart for myself, and I think I'm going to attempt to grab a hardware bundle for my wife.

Are they supposedly low stock? I had no idea that the Pikachu 3DS was so limited until I was poking around online this week.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Is everyone on irc? I don't think I can connect from work here, so if so I might have to just keep posting occasionally in here. Oh well.

zigg

Are they supposedly low stock? I had no idea that the Pikachu 3DS was so limited until I was poking around online this week.
There was at least one report in this thread about low allocations of the game. Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem specters were invoked.

Tadale

There was at least one report in this thread about low allocations of the game. Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem specters were invoked.

I'm not one to buy digitally still unless it's for Steam, so now I feel pressured to buy 3DS retail releases day and date so I don't miss out due to low print runs. I had a hard time finding Fire Emblem for a while, and got the last one from a Kmart.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
How did you get around their computer system?

Their site had it in the system yesterday for a Store Pick-up/In Stock Now option. I placed an order at 2 stores, they called me back saying they can't sell it until Sunday and it was an error on the site. Tried another store and received a pick up notice, went there today and got it with no problems. Just got lucky. They actually took it off their site now so it seems they caught on...

Nibiru

Banned
My inner Animal Crossing fan has gotten the best of me. I've saved up enough money to purchase the AC 3DS XL bundle. Do you guys think it'll be easy to find if I waltz in on Sunday, or will it be all sold out? Or will it be coming in on Monday even (a lot of the time products come in the day after release date)? I'm in Canada btw, where the bundle is exclusive to Best Buy.

I thought of getting that too but the design is so lame imo and the fact that you don't get the cart and it is only digital is terrible.

I sold my 3ds, bought a blue xl and pre-ordered the cart. Can't wait.

also what's the deal with the Best Buy DLC?

Is it worth going through the trouble of driving kinda far-ish to Best Buy or is it items that I can get through trading, etc?

SmithnCo

also what's the deal with the Best Buy DLC?

Is it worth going through the trouble of driving kinda far-ish to Best Buy or is it items that I can get through trading, etc?

Apparently if you set your router's SSID to whatever best buy uses, you might be able to get the items that way. Unless they've changed how they handle the spotpass zones.

weredog

Neo Member
So does anyone know if the seasons just change instantly, or is there a gradual, real life change? Is it like Pokemon where you walk into a Pokemart and it's Autumn and then when you step out the ground is suddenly covered in ten feet of snow and it's winter or is it a slower change?

zigg

So does anyone know if the seasons just change instantly, or is there a gradual, real life change? Is it like Pokemon where you walk into a Pokemart and it's Autumn and then when you step out the ground is suddenly covered in ten feet of snow and it's winter or is it a slower change?
There have traditionally been gradual color changes in the foliage over the seasons, as well as other changes in the town.

But, uh, living in Michigan, I gotta say, the ten feet of snow really does show up all at once ;)

Tangeroo

Seaward is open for business and apearantly, the trees have already sprouted fruit!

lSqT9qj.jpg

Add me and I'll add you back!

FC: 3136-6565-8234

RaptorGTA

This has probably been addressed but when will the game be downloaded able? Will the game be downloadable at midnight EST or PST? Another questions is how well does the Nintendo network handle downloading games? I’ve only downloaded small apps for my 3ds.

bumpkin

Mine too. My wife has been obsessed with the series since the Gamecube, but this'll be the first time I ever actually play it. I'm super excited.
Me and my wife both played the crap out of Wild World on the DS, but this time is different. In WW, we shared the game (one card with both characters). This time, we're both buying our own copies. She doesn't want to live in *my* town.

...well maybe I didn't want to live in hers, either!

My body is ready for Sunday.

This has probably been addressed but when will the game be downloaded able? Will the game be downloadable at midnight EST or PST? Another questions is how well does the Nintendo network handle downloading games? I’ve only downloaded small apps for my 3ds.

It should be available at midnight EST. I've bought several large games over the eShop and have never had any problems; they've all downloaded quickly with no fuss for me. If you've got a solid connection to the internet you should be good to go.

Yep, it'll be available at midnight on 6/9. In my experience downloads go pretty swiftly on my 3DS. At least faster than my PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom