• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the probability of the shop having a shovel and/or fishing rod the first day? They only sell two tools at a time before the first upgrade, correct? I'm kind of terrified of having bad luck and getting an axe/watering can combo and not being able to make any money on Sunday, and thus being bored as hell on launch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
From ACC
VsjxdTf.png

I was actually going for an angled, four-toed version. That's why if a program exists, I'd want it.

So what's the probability of the shop having a shovel and/or fishing rod the first day? They only sell two tools at a time before the first upgrade, correct? I'm kind of terrified of having bad luck and getting an axe/watering can combo and not being able to make any money on Sunday, and thus being bored as hell on launch.

I am probably going to restart if I don't get the tools I want on Sunday morning. lol

subtles

The two I got on the first day were the fishing rod and the shovel. I guess that would make the odds pretty good? (Nookling Junction)

Ferrio

Banned

As a first timer.... explain.. why would you be bored? What's with Sunday?

Labrys

It's the day it comes out, that's all. He's just saying he'd be upset because he couldn't make any money the day he gets it.
In response to that, if you nag Isabelle I think she gives you tools, so even if you only get axe+shovel, she may give you a rod/net.

I got a shovel and a net in my Nookling Junction on my first day. (well, today) Then Isabelle gave me a watering can.

The two I got on the first day were the fishing rod and the shovel. I guess that would make the odds pretty good? (Nookling Junction)
Good to know. And yeah, as Fox said too, we can always just reset.

First of all, I am SO DAMN JEALOUS that New Leaf is your first Animal Crossing experience. I'm sure you'll love it!

Anyway, there are six tools in the game: shovel, fishing rod, net, slingshot, axe, and watering can. The best way to make money, particularly early on, is through fishing. There are an endless supply of fish in the river and ocean, whereas there are a finite number of seashells and fruit you can sell each day. Plus, certain fish will net you far more bells than any shell ever could.

Selling dinosaur fossils (that you dig up with the shovel) are also great sources of income. Though since there are only a set number buried each day, you'll want to donate the first ones of each type to the museum first before you start selling them off.

Sunday is the day it comes out, which is the only reason I mentioned it. There IS the Stalk market that is only available Sunday mornings, but you won't need to worry about that on your first day (since you likely won't be able to afford any turnips anyway).

None of this is to say that the game is boring without the shovel and fishing rod (fishing rod in particular, in this case), but at the very beginning when you start out with literally no money, you can't really do much of anything until you have a means of creating some revenue. So if the fishing rod isn't available, you'll be able to scrape up a few hundred bells, but other than that you'll be stagnant in your financial options until the next day. Since we've been waiting three years for this title, I'm assuming most people in Crossing-GAF will be having some good marathon sessions on Sunday, and these sessions will be far less productive without the right tools.

Also, since you are new, you should give this a read (as should literally everybody else in this thread) if you haven't already. It's entertaining and hilarious, but I'm curious as to what perspective this would generate in someone who has never played the game before.

Anyway, hope this answered your questions!

Ferrio

Banned
Is there only two tools amongst all the people in the town too? So if the first player buys the tools day one, the other player is screwed?

E3 means a lot of their gear for recording QLs is being packed and shipped to LA.

On I Love Mondays they specifically mentioned that Brad and Jeff received digital copies which can't be captured since they're using a specialized 3DS for capturing video. So they're waiting on getting a physical copy of the game, then playing that game far enough until they can unlock the online features, then from there they will travel to both Jeff and Brad's towns for the quick look using the capture 3DS.

TL;DR yes, they are.

Also, Sunday marks the first day of many new adventures waiting to happen. If you are indeed new to the series - you will not have a boring first day, no matter what tools are available. It is more so the people who have been waiting for 3 years that want to get a move-on.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Still relevant for those not in America or Japan...

aw1obrme.gif

Oh, and congrats on people getting the game early! I hope you're all enjoying it!

Also, since you are new, you should give this a read (as should literally everybody else in this thread) if you haven't already. It's entertaining and hilarious, but I'm curious as to what perspective this would generate in someone who has never played the game before.

I read that long ago before I was even interested in AC and I found it incredibly amusing. I had only watched people play up to that point and it put everything in a whole new light. Keep in mind that I'm going into my first AC with this LP being a basis of understanding for many of the game's characters and themes, especially Tom Nook. Such an effective, subtle villain.

I read that long ago before I was even interested in AC and I found it incredibly amusing. I had only watched people play up to that point and it put everything in a whole new light. Keep in mind that I'm going into my first AC with this LP being a basis of understanding for many of the game's characters and themes, especially Tom Nook. Such an effective, subtle villain.
Hahaha, awesome. The LP is a perfect embodiment of how the Animal Crossing world is perfectly suited for the player to be as creative and engaged in the setting as he or she wants.

I have an idea for a story I'd like to do with New Leaf, which should be so much easier due to the in-game screenshot functionality, but knowing myself I'll probably be too lazy to ever see it through to completion :p I ASSURE YOU THOUGH THE IDEA THAT I HAVE IS ENTERTAINING!

Speaking of screenshots, are you able to somehow upload or send them to a computer from the retail version?

StayDead

So this morning I can't find the plot to Bob's house. I hope he comes tomorrow or I'll be so upset.

He said he'd move in. T_T

Are there any beginner's guides out there for first time players? I don't want to start out and waste time trying to figure out what to do when I could be using my time more wisely? Or does it even matter?

Salsa

Are there any beginner's guides out there for first time players? I don't want to start out and waste time trying to figure out what to do when I could be using my time more wisely? Or does it even matter?

i'd say you might wanna read something but not too much. Animal Crossing aint Dark Souls really, it's very welcoming and easily explained to you as the game goes by, for the most part.

it's also one of those games that is better to discover for yourself

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there only two tools amongst all the people in the town too? So if the first player buys the tools day one, the other player is screwed?

Nah, you should be able to buy more of them when they pop up in the store.

bs000

A friend of mine left me a little bundle last night!

ibqRzYXlyjSgcl.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to transfer my old system to my new baby without obliterating my copy of Animal Crossing!

I transferred my old 3DS stuff to the Mario Kart XL bundle without destroying MK. IIRC when you transfer your old stuff to the new system, it'll delete everything on the new system and replace it with the stuff from your old 3DS. The license for the bundled game is still attached to that 3DS, so you can just go to the eShop and re-download it for $0. If you've already started playing, I'm guessing you can back up your save to your PC? I'm not sure though.

ramyeon

No one's going to get banned for going off topic.
Regardless, this isn't a chat room. It makes the OT really inaccessible for anyone that isn't involved in the chat-like conversation. An OT should be for anyone to discuss the game or get information about it, not for people announcing when they woke up or when they're going to sleep. I gave up on even reading this thread because it just moved too quickly and was, for the most part, just chit chat. Now that it's actually on topic I feel like I can participate more.

Kokonoe

Banned
A friend of mine left me a little bundle last night!

http://i4.minus.com/ibqRzYXlyjSgcl.jpg[IMG]

Now I just need to figure out how to transfer my old system to my new baby without obliterating my copy of Animal Crossing![/QUOTE]

This post is already better than the IGN unboxing video, I can actually see the system.

[quote="ramyeon, post: 61941833"]Regardless, this isn't a chat room. It makes the OT really inaccessible for anyone that isn't involved in the chat-like conversation. An OT should be for anyone to discuss the game or get information about it, not for people announcing when they woke up or when they're going to sleep. I gave up on even reading this thread because it just moves too quickly and is, for the most part, just chit chat.[/QUOTE]

I guess it just depends on how off topic is defined. Like, what you're talking about with people discussing what time they wake up, I guess I can see that, but if someone posts picture from the Animal Crossing anime and wants to discuss it, I figured that isn't too far off. Actually, OTs end up in community after a short bit.

Proven

It's a 2011 title, I know people still play it and mentioned as such, im just saying that it not going on sale EVER for even $30 is the kind of stuff I dont like about Nintendo, specially since now they have the platform to do so (eShop), and the defense for it being "I like it cause you dont feel screwed if you paid $40!" is just silly to me.

A game shouldn't lose it's value just because a single year or two has passed. There are still sales for the game here and there, although they're retailer specific.

I say this as someone who aims to get into software development, and dislikes the race to the bottom much of entertainment software in different industries has reached. I even look at Steam, and see more and more indie developers releasing games at $15 and sticking to it unless it's one of the crazy Steam sales that happen twice a year now (analogous to Black Friday) or they're participating in a Humble Bundle. Software has a value, and it should take many years and better software that forces the value of older software down.

ramyeon

This post is already better than the IGN unboxing video, I can actually see the system.

I guess it just depends on how off topic is defined. Like, what you're talking about with people discussing what time they wake up, I guess I can see that, but if someone posts picture from the Animal Crossing anime and wants to discuss it, I figured that isn't too far off. Actually, OTs end up in community after a short bit.
You can't deny the amount of spam that was in here the last few days. It was ridiculous.

I don't get your point about OTs moving to community either.

Kokonoe

Banned
You can't deny the amount of spam that was in here the last few days. It was ridiculous.

Preaching to the choir on this part, I've already voiced my complaints earlier on in this thread.

I don't get your point about OTs moving to community either.

The point is that if people are wanting to share all their creations from the game, discuss Animal Crossing itself, that's okay. These threads aren't specifically for general help and advice.

And the other point, the reason I make that comment is that unlike news threads that have run their course, these threads still live on in community while those get locked. The reason for that is these threads are essentially the community for the game. No, they are not meant for discussing all that really oddball stuff that was going on before. I agree.

I'm setting my 3DS a week or two back in time before I start playing. Whenever I exhaust what I can do in a day, I'm setting it one day forward, until I catch up.

I feel no shame in doing this! I want to devote a lot of hours to the game when it comes out.

Kuntz

Someone should [physical] journal a year of Animal Crossing.

Hmmm I'll think about it, would be a good motivation to play everyday.
And I have to keep track of every day in july for work anyway.

Also that pawprint is nice, has a monster hunter vibe...

edit : my new wild world save is on day 21 and NO SHOVEL YET !

ramyeon

Preaching to the choir on this part, I've already voiced my complaints earlier on in this thread.

The point is that if people are wanting to share all their creations from the game, discuss Animal Crossing itself, that's okay. These threads aren't specifically for general help and advice.

And the other point, the reason I make that comment is that unlike news threads that have run their course, these threads still live on in community while those get locked. The reason for that is these threads are essentially the community for the game. No, they are not meant for discussing all that really oddball stuff that was going on before.
Yeah, like I said I gave up on reading this thread because it was just too much to keep up with. So I didn't see your earlier posts on the subject.

Well they are for anything related to the game, and that includes help and advice. It's too daunting for someone to post here asking for help when everyone's talking about weird stuff and chit-chatting away. I could never break into the Fire Emblem thread because it was all just talking crap about "waifus" all the time and it actually put me off the game for a good while.

What I mean is you want this to be a welcoming thread where people feel comfortable to join in and talk about a game we all love, not a thread that perpetuates a bad image for people who play Animal Crossing.

But it seems back on track anyway :)

Robin64

Moaning about how the thread used to be is hardly on topic either..

Anyway, is there any word on if the Animal Crossing themed XL will be in short supply in Europe too?

ramyeon

Moaning about how the thread used to be is hardly on topic either..
Thanks for your input. I'm just putting down my thoughts on the matter, do you have an objection to that?

I'm not going to add any more regardless. I'm looking forward to this game as much as all of you and would love to participate in the community, I would hope we're all going to be friendly around here ;)

And I think my post was leagues above "Going to bed now. Goodnight."

I asked this before but I can't rememberrrrrr.....

How long into the game do you need to be before you can use QR codes?
Wanted to do my flag straight away but don't think that's possible...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom