• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

womp

What speed shipping did you use? I used the standard one, and mine hasn't shipped yet.

2 day shipping. It was only a couple bucks more, and I didn't want her to be waiting too long after release to play. Although now that has changed since I have three carts already lined up for Sunday to buy and she can plop it into her flame red 3DS until it arrives.

Her, my five year old and I cannot wait to play. :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I wish there were better female hairstyles.
I want to make an Ann character in my town, but I guess they had to limit hair length in the game.

Linius

I've decided my town name is going to be a reference to Boards of Canada, in honour of their new album. Now I just have two days to decide between Twoism, Roygbiv, Sixtyten and Geogaddi...

Sundown. Pretty cool name for a town and a good song.

I went to some stores to see if I could get the game early but no suck luck :( last time I got Luigi's Mansion 2 days before it was released so it was worth the try...

Oh well, more time to finish Oracle of Ages and think of a name for my town *tic*
I just want to be mayor

B00TE

Hahahaha same here. I want to go game hunting, but I know I'll play it a lot longer if it's just downloaded to my 3DS

Your avatar is awesome.

Sticking to a physical copy. Too paranoid about losing my save. Not sure that it'd -really- be an issue, but I feel better leaving the save on the cartridge.

My Animal Crossing 3DS XL bundle has shipped! So happy! :D Today is my last day at work before my five day break.. going to enjoy my first 3DS and the entire E3 event.

Labrys

Sticking to a physical copy. Too paranoid about losing my save. Not sure that it'd -really- be an issue, but I feel better leaving the save on the cartridge.

See, and then there's this! I'm so conflicted on what one to get...
Digital for accessibility, but possibility the SD card may die. Cartridge is inconvenient with other games, but your town is safe...

n5Yzt4K.gif

6 is still probably a lot more in Japanese than 8 is in English. Assuming the game allows for Kanji in the Japanese version.

IIRC, no, it didn't. Just Hiragana and Katakana for town names. It's essentially 12 English spaces, though. Ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, all that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone know if Gamestop is going to be selling this game in stores on Sunday? I haven't bought a game at launch from there in a while. It used to be they had the "launch day" but the game didn't actually start selling until a day later.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You can always back up your SD card by just copying the entire contents to your PC every once in awhile. It actually seems safer to me if you are paranoid about losing the data.

B00TE

Anyone know if Gamestop is going to be selling this game in stores on Sunday? I haven't bought a game at launch from there in a while. It used to be they had the "launch day" but the game didn't actually start selling until a day later.

Yup, they are. I'd call your store ahead of time just to make sure though. I think my store only has enough for preorders on Sunday.

Soul Beat

See, and then there's this! I'm so conflicted on what one to get...
Digital for accessibility, but possibility the SD card may die. Cartridge is inconvenient with other games, but your town is safe...

n5Yzt4K.gif
Town safeness overturns accessibility in my book.

corn_fest

You can always back up your SD card by just copying the entire contents to your PC every once in awhile. It actually seems safer to me if you are paranoid about losing the data.

Yeah, but the save copy protection kinda throws a wrench in the works.

Edit: That said, I'm going for digital. I'm using the bundled SD card, so hopefully if it dies, Nintendo will have some way to restore the data, or by then homebrew will have progressed to the point where I can recover it.

Labrys

I learned it doesn't work like that. Every time you save, it gives you a code, and it expects your next save to match up with that save. If it doesn't match, it wipes your data.
The only way to do something like that is to back-up after every save, and I don't think I'm that neurotic...
maybe

Only if you back it up EVERY TIME YOU PLAY. It has some kind of save encryption that will not allow you to roll back to an earlier save. That's why I'm going retail.

Important question: does anyone know if the game forces the store to stay open when you first begin like the last games have? I want to know if it would be worth it to pick it up and play it tomorrow night to get an extra couple of tools before the first "real" day begins on Sunday.

Labrys

Important question: does anyone know if the game forces the store to stay open when you first begin like the last games have? I want to know if it would be worth it to pick it up and play it tomorrow night to get an extra couple of tools before the first "real" day begins on Sunday.

Nook's store would have to stay open until you build your home, but that's the only one. If you're playing at, like 2 AM everywhere will be closed your first day.

Also, I'm slightly leaning towards digital now??? I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haha, thanks for filling me in on SD card backup guys. I still think if you're paranoid, it's one thing to consider. You might be saved my homebrew later. I mean, the chances of your SD card failing, if you're using a decent one, is probably on par with 3DS cart failure, or having your system, or cart stolen.

You guys are making me want to go physical with all the paranoia.

Haha, I think so too. I won't be sweating it. If the SD card did die years down the line, I probably wouldn't mind. I might even enjoy starting a new town by then. :p

Tangeroo

Yeah, but the save copy protection kinda throws a wrench in the works.

Edit: That said, I'm going for digital. I'm using the bundled SD card, so hopefully if it dies, Nintendo will have some way to restore the data, or by then homebrew will have progressed to the point where I can recover it.

I strongly recommend using a different, higher class SD card. The one that came bundled with mine was a low-speed Samsung card and there's nothing about it that is proprietary. I guarantee Nintendo does not have any sort of file recovery system in-house if something were to happen.

Tangeroo

It's also probably worth mentioning that 3DS games also use flash memory for save files. It's not like Nintendo has patented some sort of fail-proof version of flash memory that differs greatly from SD flash memory.

corn_fest

I strongly recommend using a different, higher class SD card. The one that came bundled with mine was a low-speed Samsung card and there's nothing about it that is proprietary. I guarantee Nintendo does not have any sort of file recovery system in-house if something were to happen.

Yeah, I probably will down the road. I assume a higher class card would help with loading speeds, also.
But for now I'm content to live dangerously. I've never heard of anyone's SD card failing - is it really that common of a thing?

It's also probably worth mentioning that 3DS games also use flash memory for save files. It's not like Nintendo has patented some sort of fail-proof version of flash memory that differs greatly from SD flash memory.

Didn't they use some sort of special memory in the Japanese carts that lead to shipping delays, though? :eek:

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Unless you're turning off the system while it's saving, there's really no issue. I don't think I've ever heard a 3DS game's save file getting corrupt because of the flash memory.

Tangeroo

Didn't they use some sort of special memory in the Japanese carts that lead to shipping delays, though? :eek:

Ah, you are right about that. They're using SLC-NAND which *does* have a higher endurance rate than typical flash memory by about 10:1. Granted, we're talking about an endurance increase from 100,000 writes to 1,000,000 writes. I'll admit, I might have stopped playing Animal Crossing prior to hitting 100,000 saves.

zigg

I will get digital and not back up once. I live life on the edge.
Nintendo's already got you covered there!

Ah, you are right about that. They're using SLC-NAND which *does* have a higher endurance rate than typical flash memory by about 10:1. Granted, we're talking about an endurance increase from 100,000 writes to 1,000,000 writes. I'll admit, I might have stopped playing Animal Crossing prior to hitting 100,000 saves.
SD write cycles aren't really comparable to the save chip on a game card. There's filesystem overhead, there's wear leveling that is built-in to the SD, there's the fact that it may be writing to different spots on the FAT filesystem each time the file is written, etc. High write cycle counts are good, it's just that you can't go a > b when comparing save chips and SD.

Besides, I don't think write cycles are actually what cause SD cards to randomly and totally crap out—I expect it's more along the lines of static, insertion stress, etc. I'm personally a lot more comfortable with the card.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah man, that is default for digital. That's why I have settled on a pink DS XL and the cartridge version.

Anyone know if the 3DS save data transfer tool works with New Leaf? I was trying to hold out for Sunday night but just came into possession of a retail version. Wondering if I can play that till digital, transfer my content, then give the cart to a buddy?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lol, you're all too paranoid.

I guess digital is for men only. :p
Who has experienced sd card failure in their life?

*raises hand*

Who doesn't want to lose their large investment of time, creativity, and sharing with others in a beautiful game that isn't designed around linear progression in static goals?

*raises hand*

DAhbU2T.png

Quick FAQ
To further induce hype, I'll be running an AC: City Folk stream every day until release. You can watch, mellow out to the music, join in the chat, or if you have a copy of the game (NA or EU regions work) you can register my friend code and hang out on the stream.

Also, June 8th (New Leaf's eve, I'm calling it!) I'll be doing an extra long stream starting at 9pm EST (6PM EST, 1am GMT) where I'll be giving away games live on the stream. But come midnight I'm dropping everything to download NL <_<.

Q: Where can I watch the stream?
A: http://www.twitch.tv/marriedtoletsplay

Q: What times will the stream be on?
A: 5pm EST (that's 2pm PST or 9pm GMT)

Q: Are you playing on an emulator or...?
A: A real wii using an Avermedia digital capture card and xsplit to stream gameplay

Q: What's your friend code?
A: 0992-2728-6006. If you want to join my town, just put your AC:CF friend code into stream chat.

Q: What if I want to chat?
A: Just click on the stream link and create a user name for twitch if you don't already have one.

Q: Will you stream New Leaf?
A: I would love to, but I lack the proper hardware to capture 3DS video and unfortunately it's fairly cost prohibitive for a free web series like ours (approx $400 before shipping). We will look into acquiring it down the road, but for now we're limited to streaming from console based games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom