• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. actually I think I know where I'll base my town name from. Now to pick one that I like most. Yeah, I really do love Dark Souls. And Sonic.

Oolacile
Ariamis
Lordran
Mobius

Actually. Let me be the first to say fuck the character limit.

Not the first and won't be the last. Just imagine what Svenborgia could have been like. :(

Nook's store would have to stay open until you build your home, but that's the only one. If you're playing at, like 2 AM everywhere will be closed your first day.

Also, I'm slightly leaning towards digital now??? I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE

Go digital. I want it early, but having it ALWAYS on me at all days is just going to be better down the road. This way you can always pop in for a quick check up of your town before playing whatever new game is out.

Now that I think of it.. I'll probably end up getting Smash Bros. digital as well. o.o

Labrys

Who has experienced sd card failure in their life?

*raises hand*

Who doesn't want to lose their large investment of time, creativity, and sharing with others in a beautiful game that isn't designed around linear progression in static goals?

*raises hand*

Yeah, I think I'm going for cartridge for this. Thanks.

*raises hand*

Who doesn't want to lose their large investment of time, creativity, and sharing with others in a beautiful game that isn't designed around linear progression in static goals?

*raises hand*

*Raises hand*

If the Save encryption wasn't on the game I'd totally buy it digital, but since it is, and I can't back it up, I'm going retail.

*raises hand*

*raises hand*
Yes, I've had sd card failures happen to me as well, but not because they were in my 3DS, or my Wii. It's because I constantly used them on the PC, erased data, wrote data, etc. I have a smartphone for years now, same thing, SD card never failed. It depends for what you use them and how you use them, and I'm guessing the SD cards you people have aren't the cheapest ones.

Failure of an SD card isn't that normal anymore and let's not be paranoid on how we can lose or cartridge, damage our cartridge, as well (not to mention these are chips made specifically for this game, sh*t can happen).

People just buy the way it is more convenient to you and don't stress out. Make sure you have a decent SD card though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm using my old Wii SD card in my 3DS now, since it's 8GB. Swapped it with the 2GB that came in my 3DS. I never really used it a TON on the Wii, but it's definitely a few years old. Does age affect the integrity of these cards? Or is it definitely just usage? Would a Wii-era SD card incorporate some old shitty technology more prone to failure?

I'm using my old Wii SD card in my 3DS now, since it's 8GB. Swapped it with the 2GB that came in my 3DS. I never really used it a TON on the Wii, but it's definitely a few years old. Does age affect the integrity of these cards? Or is it definitely just usage? Would a Wii-era SD card incorporate some old shitty technology more prone to failure?
Normally it's more about how much data has been written or erased from it, age isn't much of a concern. The process of "writing" to the card is slightly physically destructive to the media. The process of "reading" from the card is NOT destructive to the media.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Normally it's more about how much data has been written or erased from it, age isn't much of a concern. The process of "writing" to the card is slightly physically destructive to the media. The process of "reading" from the card is NOT destructive to the media.

What is it, exactly, that makes an actual 3DS game card not prone to this? It's still flash storage, yeah? Or is it prone to it, but just experiences comparatively less, since you only write to it as much as you save in that one game, vs an entire system's worth of data saving.

Tangeroo

I expect it's more along the lines of static, insertion stress, etc.

Hehehe. To be honest, I keep my SD card in my 3DS almost exclusively (except for the past couple of days to post pics). I'd assume the physical copies of the game would suffer from the same but I don't begrudge anyone wanting to go physical

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So if you want to use the actual capabilities of the 3DS, which has a lot of writing to the card, it is less recommended.

What is it, exactly, that makes an actual 3DS game card not prone to this? It's still flash storage, yeah? Or is it prone to it, but just experiences comparatively less, since you only write to it as much as you save in that one game, vs an entire system's worth of data saving.
They are prone to this as well, just have higher "endurance", let's say (for lack of better words, sorry but english isn't my mother tongue).

The endurance rate before the cartridge wears out is higher than a SD, but we're talking about incredibly high numbers here, it won't wear out if all you're doing is playing 3DS since you don't really write that much into the SD anyway (compared to how some people abuse them on a PC).

Just one thing, I don't know how old that SD card you have is, but newer ones use something they call "memory leveling" technology. It basically treats the next unused position as if it's the beginning of the card and starts writing from there. This means it extends it's life. Older ones if you had erased something it would be treated again as unused and the data would be written there, where old data was erased from. This made the beginning of the SD card be very heavily used and led to faster wear of the card.

So if you want to use the actual capabilities of the 3DS, which has a lot of writing to the card, it is less recommended.
The data you write (apart from downloading games) is basically nothing for the SD card. Even then, you could download the entire eshop over and over again for quiiite a while and your SD card would still be totally fine. People are underestimating how much information can be written into these things, definitely it's not the 3DS that's going to challenge a decent SD card, not even close.

I'm not trying to convert people here btw, I'm just trying to reassure others that don't 100% understand how these things work and are feeling uncomfortable with the idea of having it on the SD card.

A bit late to the Friend Code party, but here's mine: 0516-7269-7320.

My AC: WW town is named Hell. I'm probably going to call my New Leaf one Uffern -- it's a little more subtle.

Katzii

For you New Leaficans, can I ask if there's a flagpole for you to put a design on in the town, like in Wild World (and possibly other iterations of the game)?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
For you New Leaficans, can I ask if there's a flagpole for you to put a design on in the town, like in Wild World (and possibly other iterations of the game)?
I believe there is a flag on your town hall as well as your train station in New Leaf.

Anyone know if the 3DS save data transfer tool works with New Leaf? I was trying to hold out for Sunday night but just came into possession of a retail version. Wondering if I can play that till digital, transfer my content, then give the cart to a buddy?
Nobody knows the answer to this? Japanese owners?

What opening hours are you guys going to set for your stores? Is it possible to have a 24 hour store? I mostly won't be able to play until the evenings on weekdays, but I also want to have decent opening ours for weekends.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I've never played AC before, but I'm interested to try this out. I have a few concerns that I'm wondering if someone can clear up:

Is the game super time consuming? Will I be looking at more than a 20-30 hr investment?

It seems super grindy - what makes it fun? I guess... what is the core essence that keeps you playing?

I got tracking and confirmation for my pop-tart shipping! It's gonna be 7-12 business days, so any GAF-ers in EU, I feel your pain. But, I'm just glad I'm getting one. I tried 11 different stores and they were all not taking anymore pre-orders, and I just didn't wanna gamble having it on day-1 as a walk-in.

Tangeroo, thanks again for posting GS link to order it online. Totally slipped my mind. Can't wait. This'll be my first AC since the Gamecube version.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I thought the 3DS only recognizes up to 32.
GltZD.jpg
Has to be reformatted to FAT32.

I thought the 3DS only recognizes up to 32.

Supposedly (I think I read somewhere from Nintendo that it supports up to 32) but it still reads 64GB and 128GB sd cards though. I don't know if that may translate to problems though, it shouldn't.

Dice

It seems super grindy - what makes it fun? I guess... what is the core essence that keeps you playing?
Don't get into a mind of completing objectives, even collection of things in game, as if that is the game. Get into the mind of gardening or crafting. The process is not an obstacle, the process is the experience, that of growing what you have into something beautiful in a way that is up to you. Creative customization of everything and sharing the process with community is the nature of the game.

Don't get into a mind of objective completion. Get into the mind of gardening or crafting. The process is not an obstacle, the process is the experience, that of growing what you have into something beautiful in a way that is up to you. Creative customization of everything and sharing the process with community is the nature of the game.

They should make this the back-cover blurb.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Don't get into a mind of completing objectives, even collection of things in game, as if that is the game. Get into the mind of gardening or crafting. The process is not an obstacle, the process is the experience, that of growing what you have into something beautiful in a way that is up to you. Creative customization of everything and sharing the process with community is the nature of the game.

Wow, that was a great explanation. thank you!

suzu

I've never played AC before, but I'm interested to try this out. I have a few concerns that I'm wondering if someone can clear up:

Is the game super time consuming? Will I be looking at more than a 20-30 hr investment?

If you end up liking it, then yeah, it will be a long term game. There is no "goal". You do as you like. Most people will probably/eventually settle into a routine of playing a few minutes a day or something.

From the OP:

What's the appeal?

Let's have Animal Crossing creator Katsuya Eguchi explain it:

This game actually offers the opportunity for the player to find what they like to do, instead of games forcing them, 'Okay, this is what you can do in the game.' But the player, himself or herself, can find what he or she likes to do, or collect, or create. Whatever they want to do, they can find it in this game, and then they can also showoff to other people, so they can express their personality in this game to other people, and to themselves. That's the point.

Or Animal Crossing: New Leaf director Aya Kyogoku:

For example, digging fossils, you can just do it one day, but you actually have to do it many times to collect one set. Then there's flowers - you want to keep watering the flowers every day, and people that are interested in taking care of the flowers, can water the flowers, and make different, unique types of flowers by doing so every day. By doing those things every day, you can achieve something bigger, and you can also get a sense of satisfaction from it. By doing those everyday things over and over, it will deepen your experience in this game, creating a deeper, more meaningful life in the town.

And what Dice said. lol

Dice

Wow, that was a great explanation. thank you!
You could also watch the rather long Nintendo Direct to get a feel for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhpDmcuHVA

In a sense, it is just simulated creative community life, with other recreational activities in there as well. Since it is virtual, it removes real-life barriers to such things like money, skills, property ownership, etc. I can see how the culture of Japan has an appreciation for this type of thing, yet modern city life inhibits it at every front. The franchise is a wonderful outlet for this side of humanity, which is probably why it is so ridiculously popular.

As someone who has no friends who will are interested in Animal Crossing. How well will this play solo?

Should play well but will make it more fun with peeps to share experiences, that's why we made their friend code sheet.

Do you at leaast like the sound of things thus far?

As someone who has no friends who will are interested in Animal Crossing. How well will this play solo?

It'll play fine. The big draw for friends is that you can get exotic fruit from them (which sell for a lot more, and was my money maker in WW and CF). However, you can get exotic fruit from your animal neighbors if you send them a letter with a fruit attached. Also, in the first 3 games, you needed a friend to visit the department store to get it fully upgraded, though apparently this is no longer the case.

Question about town names:

Is "Town" appended to the name, or is it usually referred to by itself; "Would you like to invite a friend to Funzone?" or "Would you like to invite a friend to Funzone Town?" (for example)

This is important! :p

No "town" suffix. I live in Ralik, not Ralik Town. In fact, it there was a "Town" suffix, then The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing would've been ruined.

froliq

Doing some friend adding before all the E3 craze will hit. Typing in friendcodes and 30 sec wait between each PM is tiring, so if you need a pal for AC, then I'll add you up. Just PM me or drop your code or say something so I can look you up.

Unicorn

I'm buying physical because every other game I'm going to buy digital so it's not like the card is ever going to leave my DS anyway. The only other game I'm going to buy physical it's Pokemon. Those are the only two games I kept the cards for DS and I'm going to keep the tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom