• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT| Adorable Debt Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
I believe people claimed midnight of release, I logged in when it was 9pm Friday XD. Just don't wait for an email they tend to be late, just go and log into Club Nintendo at the midnight of AC's release and it should be there =)

Honestly, thank you so much.

I thought I screwed it up, but it makes sense. You took a lot of worry from my shoulders!

Add me on 3DS? It'd be great to play NL - 4425-2273-6142

So this morning when I was checking my card statement, I saw that the GameStop charge for the poptart was pending. Looks like they're getting um ready to go out. Or just super anxious to charge us.

Kuntz

Wowowowow friends, I leave for 3 days and what do I miss ?
THIRTY pages, and an OT ...

Submitted in spreadsheet !

Be strong europeople, I'll try to be...

SuperSah

Banned
Wowowowow friends, I leave for 3 days and what do I miss ?
THIRTY pages, and an OT ...

Submitted in spreadsheet !

Be strong europeople, I'll try to be...

Getting the game 5 days after US is gonna burn.

I'll make sure i'm away from this OT to avoid spoilers.

There's an event coming up on July 7th for people with the Japanese game. Tanabata. You can get a bamboo tree with cards hanging from it, befitting of the tradition of Tanabata.

(Watch Haruhi!)

As long as someone reminds me I'll grab all the Japanese exclusives I can.

My wife and I watched the first season of Haruhi and loved it. She completely lost interest because of the endless eight though. :(

I seem to remember reading that the disc image for the Gamecube version is 32MB. How things have changed.

I'm thinking it was actually closer to 16MB... 32MB wouldn't have fit in the GCN's memory (which maxed out at 24MB). And the entire game DID fit into memory because you could literally take the game out after it had booted... I left my GCN for days after we rented the game the first time (only to start my town over once we bought the game since it came with it's own memory card).

This isn't surprising if you play the game, the textures are all a muddy mess, and indeed the game is just a port of the N64 game (which itself was only 16MB if I remember correctly) with a couple features bolted on.

City Folk clocked in at 300MB or so... so this is definitely a hefty size upgrade regardless.

I decided to give up on reading every reply in this thread, as I started out with a THIRTY PAGE DEFICIT.

Dat Crossing-GAF hype. I love to see it

SuperSah

Banned
I'm thinking it was actually closer to 16MB... 32MB wouldn't have fit in the GCN's memory (which maxed out at 24MB). And the entire game DID fit into memory because you could literally take the game out after it had booted... I left my GCN for days after we rented the game the first time (only to start my town over once we bought the game since it came with it's own memory card).

This isn't surprising if you play the game, the textures are all a muddy mess, and indeed the game is just a port of the N64 game (which itself was only 16MB if I remember correctly) with a couple features bolted on.

City Folk clocked in at 300MB or so... so this is definitely a hefty size upgrade regardless.

Aye, GC was indeed 16mb. I think New Leaf's size may be huge due to the 3D rendering?

I'm thinking it was actually closer to 16MB... 32MB wouldn't have fit in the GCN's memory (which maxed out at 24MB). And the entire game DID fit into memory because you could literally take the game out after it had booted...

Wow. There can't have been much free memory, then. Careful with those dynamic memory allocations, people!

Aye, GC was indeed 16mb. I think New Leaf's size may be huge due to the 3D rendering?

Nah, 3D rendering has nothing to do with file size. The DS had very little in the way of memory, so they kept most of the low-res textures and models from the GCN version.

While wild world doesn't LOOK much better, it actually has a lot of improved models and the textures are probably 8x as large (and more of them) which is why it's so large compared to those 2 (no need to waste time compressing the textures either, streaming from the disc would be more than enough)

3DS has more RAM than the Wii does (not sure how much available to developers, but even then it'd be on par with wii) so they can afford to use high res textures and models, plus they seem to have added a ton more content. That's why it's so large by comparison.

Just noticed the friend code spreadsheet. Will be doing some massive data entry later today while I'm at work and letting those know who I got so far.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Wow, from 16-24MB to 1 GB, what a jump indeed.
However, when did NeoGAF start having such a big passion for Animal Crossing? I don't remember anything like this in the past.

Wow, from 16-24MB to 1 GB, what a jump indeed.
However, when did NeoGAF start having such a big passion for Animal Crossing? I don't remember anything like this in the past.

Probably because the last game of this caliber was Wild World waaay back in 2005. We were bitter from City Folk hah (I wasn't around on GAF then to be honest)

I dont need reviews.

Name alone + japanese sales, more than enough

Truth!

Man, I don't think I'm gonna even try to keep up with thread the way I did the last one... so if someone has an important question for me (which I highly doubt) - please PM. *chuckles*

So, I got the AC Swapnote from Aya at Nintendo just now, and it overwrote my Japanese version of the stationary! Is there a way I can get the Japanese one back and have both?

Philia

LMAO as soon as I heard about this game, I don't need a review or this thread, or anybody... WW just sold me on the series already. :3

The original was a modified N64 game. WW had significant improvements from there, but the DS was only capable of so much. City Folk was running off of a modified version of the Wild World engine built on DS, so the small size probably stems from the fact that CF's roots were in a weaker handheld's capabilities, then scaled up. New Leaf, as far I know is running off an entirely new engine with a lot of comparatively fancy new tech (like bump mapping and lighting) running on it. I think the developers really took a lot of the criticisms of City Folk to heart, so the engine improvements in general are indicative that the team was earnest in starting fresh and making Animal Crossing new again. AC: NL doesn't look that huge of a graphical upgrade from its forebears, but when you study all the new stuff going on, it isn't really surprising that it's so much bigger. Also, more items, bigger towns, etc., etc.

This game is one of the very few reasons why I wish Nintendo would allow expansion of the limited friend list. But this complaint is dull, and I'm going back to Luigi's Mansion to fill in the time slot.

I started Link's Awakening for the first time over the weekend, hoping to finish it before AC comes out.

I don't think that's going to happen. I'm stuck looking for golden leafs.

This game is one of the very few reasons why I wish Nintendo would allow expansion of the limited friend list. But this complaint is dull, and I'm going back to Luigi's Mansion to fill in the time slot.

It seems like it's not enough at first but I guarantee by the end of the first month you'll be doing some housekeeping. Three months tops. If not... then you're super lucky with the people you've chosen.

Kouriozan

It seems like it's not enough at first but I guarantee by the end of the first month you'll be doing some housekeeping. Three months tops. If not... then you're super lucky with the people you've chosen.
I guess you're right. Some might even stop playing after a week >.<

Soul Beat

This'll be my first Animal Crossing game! Excite!

My FC is -- 3566-1628-5922

Looking forward to playing with you all in the future! :)

Skelter

Banned
When do we get some reviews of the US version?

I predict 5 stars from Joystiq, 10/10 from Destructoid and pretty much 9-perfect scores everywhere else.

First Animal Crossing that actually sounds like a sequel with a ton of additions should be enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom