• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT2| You Can Stack Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Before playing TLoU, I rolled my eyes at the hype. I thought the game couldn't possibly be that good. And the game does start slow -- solid, but slow. But then you venture beyond the outskirts of the quarantine zone, and it becomes irresistible. I'd go so far as to say it's the RE4 of this generation -- just immaculately crafted and beautifully paced, with super-tight gameplay that encourages improvisation and is challenging without being unfair. A true "road movie" of an adventure, journeying across the country, through the different seasons and weather, sneaking in the shadows, scouring for supplies... Relative to gaming circa 2013, I definitely feel the 10/10s are justified.

And playing TLoU alongside Animal Crossing takes it to a whole new level. The games couldn't be more different, yet they complement each other perfectly, like peanut butter and jelly, or cheese and crackers. The effect is DELICIOUS.

That's very nice to hear. I actually loved the opening scene, but I was feeling a bit bogged down by the following section, up until where you get Ellie, which is the point where I stopped. It's not like I didn't want to keep going at all, but with Animal Crossing sitting there, I was finding it difficult to motivate myself to pick TLOU back up again. :p

I'll do that though, if not this evening then tomorrow, for sure!

Doorman

Anyone with a >100 turnip price at their re-tail who wants me to freeload in their town? I missed my chances and just want to break even at this point.

Mine's at 135 right now. You could check the Stalk Market topic, though, I'm sure someone out there has better value than that.

Kangi

Mine's at 135 right now. You could check the Stalk Market topic, though, I'm sure someone out there has better value than that.

Nobody uses it. = / And the most recent posters are scrambling over a 111 turnip price. Mind opening your gates for me?

I hope beautiful town makes grass grow back faster.

I signed that ordinance back in, since I can make money off turnips tomorrow. But I'll switch away from it after I move all my flowers in a similar area, and start laying down floor tiles.

Look at that fucking sunset:

988231_261758193963437_990011832_n.jpg

Thanks for the great times, Wee and Graham!

You liked being told to be my servant since I'm so queenly? Well, get cracking on your museum.

But seriously, glad people can post pics. I don't have a site to connect to myself. And Graham may never have heard of neogaf...

Stat!

Frick - this is the only game (other than SSB 3DS) that could get me to buy a 3DS.

Is the game as awesome as it sounds?

What are some of the MP features in this one? How much will I want to play this one?

How's the art style? The rolling hill has me a bit nervous - does it feel natural?

Kangi

Frick - this is the only game (other than SSB 3DS) that could get me to buy a 3DS.

Yes. There is a slight chance the game won't click with you, though. Some times it just doesn't click with people.

What are some of the MP features in this one?
Up to four people can be in a town online at a time, and they can do things like fishing, exchanging gifts, going to the island, playing the minigame-ish tours together, etc.

Locally, multiple people can live in your town if you share the game. You get to be the mayor while they're the peasants, though.
How much will I want to play this one?
Quite a bit.
How's the art style? The rolling hill has me a bit nervous - does it feel natural?
The art style is much improved from City Folk; ground textures are better-looking and whatnot. While I'm much more of a fan of the acre style from the original AC, the rolling hill isn't as bad as it was in Wild World, and you get used to it pretty quickly.

Doorman

Ahaha, thanks Kangi! I didn't even realize you'd left the painting (with protective barrier no less) until just now. I didn't have any legit art yet so actually this works out really well, now hopefully my museum will expand.

pariah164

What are some of the MP features in this one? How much will I want to play this one?

Yes. It is.

The MP feature is great. If you have friends, they can come over to your town and help water flowers, bring you gifts/fruit, and go the island to play minigames that are pretty fun. These earn medals, which you then use to buy island-exclusive items.

Animal Crossing is meant to be played in chunks, once a day. It's not a game you can 'speed-run', or 'win'. It's a second life (which, ironically, is better than Second Life).

The art style is very cute; even some of the insects are kind of cute. The rolling hill thing really does feel natural, and it's easy to get into.

Stat!

Yes. There is a slight chance the game won't click with you, though. Some times it just doesn't click with people.

Understood. I enjoyed Wild World a ton, so this is one is up my alley. More to do in New Leaf or just more of the same?
Up to four people can be in a town online at a time, and they can do things like fishing, exchanging gifts, going to the island, playing the minigame-ish tours together, etc.
I saw the turnip thread in the community section. Is that the only market thing I can do in the game? When you say exchange gifts, does that include furniture?
Quite a bit.
Damn you! You could have said "Not really" and saved me money. Now the temptation is unbearable. I love Sim-Style games where you can collect things, and there isn't a goal really.
The art style is much improved from City Folk; ground textures are better-looking and whatnot. While I'm much more of a fan of the acre style from the original AC, the rolling hill isn't as bad as it was in Wild World, and you get used to it pretty quickly.
Alright. Good to know. Im watching some playthroughs on youtube, and it seems fun but I still notice the hills. Its not noticeable when you're playing?

Yes. It is.

The MP feature is great. If you have friends, they can come over to your town and help water flowers, bring you gifts/fruit, and go the island to play minigames that are pretty fun. These earn medals, which you then use to buy island-exclusive items.

Animal Crossing is meant to be played in chunks, once a day. It's not a game you can 'speed-run', or 'win'. It's a second life (which, ironically, is better than Second Life).

The art style is very cute; even some of the insects are kind of cute. The rolling hill thing really does feel natural, and it's easy to get into.

Thanks. I really loved Wild World. From what I remember, the furniture collecting and decorating was my biggest draw. Bigger/better in this one?

Understood. I enjoyed Wild World a ton, so this is one is up my alley. More to do in New Leaf or just more of the same?

The flea market is back, the stalk market is back. I don't really wanna say anymore cause I don't wanna spoil it, if you haven't spoiled for yourself. Half the fun is discovering these features. I heartily recommend the game.

Kangi

More to do in New Leaf. New Leaf is probably the closest to being a direct sequel of the original out of all of the games, so if you played that one you'll love this one. There is definitely a ton to do in this game, though, but you might find yourself bored at first; the majority of the game's content shows itself after the first few days, and then you're hooked.

Build up your museum, mold your town with public works projects, expand and decorate up to
six
rooms in your home, decorate the exterior of your home, collect sets, collect insects, collect fish, collect benthic creatures, collect gyroids, grow tons of flowers, make money, please your townfolk, increase the rating of your town, do island tours for medals and therefore unique rewards...

I saw the turnip thread in the community section. Is that the only market thing I can do in the game? When you say exchange gifts, does that include furniture?
You can exchange pretty much anything that isn't a live creature.

Alright. Good to know. Im watching some playthroughs on youtube, and it seems fun but I still notice the hills. Its not noticeable when you're playing?
It's definitely less noticeable, but maybe that's just because it's surprisingly easy to get used to.

Berordn

Thanks. I really loved Wild World. From what I remember, the furniture collecting and decorating was my biggest draw. Bigger/better in this one?

About three times as much furniture and a thousand ways to get it all. There's a ton of stuff in New Leaf and it's a worthy sequel to Wild World.

Much slower paced though, it'll take much longer to upgrade all the shops and add amenities to your village, which is actually nice in a way.

Blasty

My copy of New Leaf just arrived from Amazon earlier!

FC: 4725-8121-4981

Is the time in this game synced with the time in real life? Is there anything else I should know?

Berordn

Is the time in this game synced with the time in real life? Is there anything else I should know?

Animal Crossing uses your 3DS's realtime clock. Resist the temptation to change it and take it one day at a time and you'll get more out of it.

Neiteio

This is going to sound heartless, but... is there a way to skip Kap's song while going to and from the island? He's slowing down my money-making schemes!

Mokaman51

Neo Member
Has anyone tried this?:

Someone in my town asked me for an Apple, and like always I would be back in a snap giving them the juiciest apple I can find... Anyway, I noticed the ability to give turnips if they ask for something to eat, what is a villagers reaction to giving them a Turnip?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
You can come to my town if you want. :p We can do island stuff or something.

FC: 3523-3319-4954
Added you, my FC is 2578 3146 5356
Added you both. 0817-4158-9208. Hope to see you soon.

Sure, that works.

3909-7665-4014
Added ya'll. Always looking for more friends. Mine is 2578-3128-0643

Stat!

More to do in New Leaf. New Leaf is probably the closest to being a direct sequel of the original out of all of the games, so if you played that one you'll love this one. There is definitely a ton to do in this game, though, but you might find yourself bored at first; the majority of the game's content shows itself after the first few days, and then you're hooked.

Build up your museum, mold your town with public works projects, expand and decorate up to
six
rooms in your home, decorate the exterior of your home, collect sets, collect insects, collect fish, collect benthic creatures, collect gyroids, grow tons of flowers, make money, please your townfolk, increase the rating of your town, do island tours for medals and therefore unique rewards...

About three times as much furniture and a thousand ways to get it all. There's a ton of stuff in New Leaf and it's a worthy sequel to Wild World.

Much slower paced though, it'll take much longer to upgrade all the shops and add amenities to your village, which is actually nice in a way.

The flea market is back, the stalk market is back. I don't really wanna say anymore cause I don't wanna spoil it, if you haven't spoiled for yourself. Half the fun is discovering these features. I heartily recommend the game.

Thank you all. I guess I need to start looking at 3DS Systems for sale. The game sounds absolutely incredible.

I know its supposed to be played for once a day in chunks, but could I play it multiple times a day in large chunks? Is there enough to do that I Won't feel like Im sitting there waiting for 2 hours to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom