• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT4| Lives Can Be Cataloged But Not Reordered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck in an Animal Crossing equivalent of Groundhog Day. In the past week I've had:

6 days of Pete being the "visitor"
5 days of rain
4 days with absolutely no hybrids
4 villagers giving me a Dazed Tee
3 Security Cameras to buy in the TIY
Sweet Olive bushes in the TIY every day

Someone please break me out of this awful cycle. I just want some pink roses, pink hydrangea bushes and a visit from Gracie.

Koren

Do you also make sure to scare off any other bugs. It forces new ones to spawn.
To find scorpions, you need also mostly clear skies (pretty sure light clouds are OK but heavy clouds are not) and A LOT OF LUCK. Lucky item is a must.

I've only seen them on two days, although I've been hunting them like forever.

Problem: they commit suicide before I can catch them. And I don't want to cut all my trees to increase the spawn rate and decrease the suicide rate...

(btw, I hate the phone which told me "you're going to find what you look for". Or not, actually)

I'm thinking about maximizing feng-shui to help. Which rooms are taken into account for FS?

Also, this new day is awful. A single orange rose as an hybrid, I've nearly two dozen of those. And my big spike is only 374, which is disappointing.

Linius

What does it look like?

zkt.jpg

Whoa, that's nice. Would be very nice trade material on GameFaqs, I think. :)

Probably yes. But 100 medals each eh :p

Maybe I'll set up a thread in which I ask for the other island stuff I need as a trade.

UberTag

Why do people not like Charlise?
I love Charlise. She's very generous when you post nice things about her in this thread.
She gave me my police station. And she's the only villager to give me paintings (2 legit thus far).

I'm finding it weird now that I've got my golden watering can to DELIBERATELY let my village go to shit. I've been so conditioned to pulling weeds when I see them but now I have to force myself to consciously let them stockpile so I can get Leif to show up so I can play the weeding mini-game once a month and earn exclusive furniture. It's going to take some time to adjust.

UberTag

Holy shit, tropical floor on my OWN island. So if anybody needs one I could provide island trips later today.
Will you be entertaining guests later this afternoon / evening (Eastern time)? I'd love to make an island run and pick up a Tropical Floor.
I can even earn all of the medals beforehand so I just need to stop over and pay them to Grams to pick one up.

I'm thinking about maximizing feng-shui to help. Which rooms are taken into account for FS?
ALL of your rooms are taken into effect for feng shui.

If you're looking to maximize it, here is how things break down.
- 48 maximum pieces of furniture per room - each can provide 2 feng shui points (either two of the same color or one of both red/yellow and green in the corners)
- That's 96 points - a maxed out room will offer 32 green, 32 yellow and 32 red feng shui boosts (items on tables and walls are your friend)
- Unlike in HHA scoring, the basement counts and duplicate items will also pay off; so will Cyrus-customized items for that matter

This is ultimately what feng shui contributes to and how valuable its effect is.

Place yellow items near or on the west (left) walls of your rooms to:
...decrease the price of items sold by villagers
If you've got loads of bells, this is a moot point.

...increase the probability of success of Bell Trees
If you're not planting bell trees (none of us have Gold Shovels at this point), this is also not that useful.

...decrease the cost of art appearing in Redd's tent
Once again, lots of bells makes this trivial. Getting Redd to appear is the struggle. Doesn't matter how much his stuff costs once he's here.

VERDICT - yellow feng shui is pretty darn useless

Place green items near or on the south (bottom) walls to:
...increase the probability of Spotlight items appearing Timmy&Tommy's
This is kind of a big deal. Until you catalog all the spotlight items. Then, not so much.

...increase the probability of genuine art appearing in Redd's tent
Once again, kind of a big deal. Won't make Redd appear more often but when he does you really want to bag one of those legit statues that villagers themselves won't sell you.

...increase the probability of receiving genuine art from villagers
Also a big deal; we don't all have Lionel living in our villages to corner the painting black market.

...increase the probability of receiving exclusive items from Saharah
This is kind of moot. One can always reset to get the items they want from Saharah. Although this will help to make that take less work.

...decrease the probability of embarrassing sounds when sitting
Ummm... how nice.

VERDICT - green feng shui is pretty useful - at least while you're stockpiling art and showcase items

Place red items near or on the east (right) walls to:
...increase the probability of receiving Mario Theme and Nintendo Set items from Fortune Cookies
This is useless. Anyone with the time to focus on feng shui post-HHA theme completion probably already has all of their Nintendo items.

...increase the probability of receiving genuine art from villagers
Predominantly useless. Villagers have a pretty good track record with art as it is. It's getting them to provide it more often that's the tricky part

...increase the probability of receiving exclusive items from Saharah
Once again, useless due to being able to reset for what one needs.

...decrease the probability of embarrassing sounds when sitting
Who cares.

VERDICT - red feng shui is unnecessary

So now, the focus on feng shui really shouldn't even be towards red and yellow items at all.
Focus on the green.
And the maximum amount of green feng shui one can get in a room is - 16 squares (each can hold one table that gives 2 points and one item that gives 2 points). 64 points.
And then add an additional 2 points for every pure green item hanging on a wall in that section.

Linius

Will you be entertaining guests later this afternoon / evening (Eastern time)? I'd love to make an island run and pick up a Tropical Floor.
I can even earn all of the medals beforehand so I just need to stop over and pay them to Grams to pick one up.

Well I'm in Europe, so it will probably be late afternoon (5pm to 6pm) and evening my timezone. I'll probably eat somewhere between 6pm and 7pm and after that I'll be back online.

Anyways, then you can also pick up two red carnations.

EDIT

Ah, found someone on Gamefaqs who's keeping a Ukelele apart for me. All he's looking for his is a bunch of regular sets so that's a great trade :D

MicH

Another day in Dewford, another day with Beau ruining my town. The town was perfect before you came. *sigh*

My town now has

3 peppy
2 lazy
2 normal
1 uchi
1 snooty
1 jock
0 cranky
0 smug

Are you serious? Get out Wendy and Beau!

Koren

- 48 maximum pieces of furniture per room - each can provide 2 feng shui points (either two of the same color or one of both red/yellow and green in the corners)
- That's 96 points - a maxed out room will offer 32 green, 32 yellow and 32 red feng shui boosts (items on tables and walls are your friend)
- Unlike in HHA scoring, the basement counts and duplicate items will also pay off; so will Cyrus-customized items for that matter
Many, many thanks. I'll won't turn my house in a Feng-shui museum, but I'll try to use it better. Wasn't sure for the basement (or even other rooms than the center one), so it's good to know.

I'll probably use more flowers, to start.

UberTag

Many, many thanks. I'll won't turn my house in a Feng-shui museum, but I'll try to use it better. Wasn't sure for the basement (or even other rooms than the center one), so it's good to know.

I'll probably use more flowers, to start.
I've expanded my response to break down each of the colors in detail so you may want to factor that into your feng shui planning.

To reiterate, my tips for the day:
- focus on green feng shui
- don't pull your weeds once you have a gold watering can

And, yes, you WANT to start stockpiling Leif's exclusive furniture before Weeding Day in April because you want to enter that day with zero weeds in order to get his exclusive PWPs.
It's the rest of the year you want to focus on his furniture.

Koren

Thanks a second time, Ubertag, for providing all those interesting informations. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that Feng Shui is restricted to those... I'll indeed go for green at least to get the statues from Redd.

UberTag

Anyone want to trade gyroids? I have extras of the following (and need a ton of others):

Tall Bovoid
Mega Buzzoid
Mini Buzzoid
Tall Buzzoid
Mini Dekkoid x2
Squat Dingloid x2
Mini Gongoid
Tall Harmonoid
Mini Howloid
Mini Lamentoid
Tall Nebuloid
Oboid
Oombloid
Mega Plinkoid
Mega Poltergoid
Tall Quazoid
Mini Rhythmoid
Timpanoid x2
Mini Timpanoid
Time for another tip. Once you're done with fossil donations to your museum and fossil models, move the 4 fossils buried in your village to a pre-determined location.
If you unbury fossils and move them somewhere else, they will STAY in those locations indefinitely. I have mine parked beside the Roost Cafe.

Makes it a lot easier to spot gyroids when they show up this way.

Beach sandals are being sold on my island
Are these rare or anything?

Yeah, these are very rare. :( Never got one on my international island tours, and I took at least 250 visits to that damn island...

So if you can stock some up, they would be nice trade material for other stuff. :)

Philia

Today's just an excellent day. :)

Hybrids: Two black roses, two black tulips and one blue pansy lol.

Got a gold ore from a spare rock. Finally got Fairy Tale Clock from Caroline. I also got Katrina today.

Now I just need to find plaid bottoms lol.

Tash

Today's just an excellent day. :)

Hybrids: Two black roses, two black tulips and one blue pansy lol.

Got a gold ore from a spare rock. Finally got Fairy Tale Clock from Caroline. I also got Katrina today.

Now I just need to find plaid bottoms lol.

Interesting..sounds pretty much like me (minus the Fairy Tale Clock thing and I got a few other hybrids instead). I also got peach as my town fruit which makes me wonder if this a co-incidence or not..

Gold ore, 5 hybrids and Katrina in town who asked for plaid bottoms.

Zero_IYAD

Yeah, these are very rare. :( Never got one on my international island tours, and I took at least 250 visits to that damn island...

So if you can stock some up, they would be nice trade material for other stuff. :)
Too lazy to farm island coins/medals.
You're welcome tho to come grab some later tonight.

MicH

My lucky item is basic bottoms. Lucky my Able Sisters had some!

Also got a bunch of red* pansies today. Ready to get my very own, TT-free purple pansies! Started breeding orange tulips as well.

Apple wants signatures. Can I visit someone and get them?

Linius

Yup
You are welcome, it's 1:50 PM here, probably after 8 PM till 5 AM I'll be home all night.

Edit: I soooo wanna grab a tropical floor but collecting 100 coins.. am too lazy to do that =___=

Oh great, almost same timezone so that's easy for me. And 100 medals is not that much to farm. Especially if you have the elite scavenger hunt. If you really want that floor you better not pass on this oppurtuninity because by island hopping they're so hard to find.

I'll need to farm medals beforehand. let me know when.

Yeah, you better. I only have shitty tours that take a lot of time so medal farming will be hard for me. If I had a good tour I would have probably farmed an extra 100 to buy at least two of them.

Gracie's in town. She's asked for sporty - ALMOST not a problem since I have all four green-zap hero items. I don't have any sporty socks, however. Is there a difference between having four items and five when it comes to passing Gracie's check?

MicH

Crap! Cheri just told me Phoebe wants to move. Hell no! Yet she refuses to talk about it :( Don't leave me, Phoebe!!

WHY WON'T WENDY LEEAAAAVEEE

Gracie's in town. She's asked for sporty - ALMOST not a problem since I have all four green-zap hero items. I don't have any sporty socks, however. Is there a difference between having four items and five when it comes to passing Gracie's check?

I don't think we've determined exactly how many items gets you what. I passed two checks with four pieces and got a Gracie bed each time.

Koren

So 5 or more doesn't provide anything different from 4?
Got a furniture with 5.

I'm wondering... Is using a helmet a good idea? It's replacing both a hat and an accessory, which can yield 2 points instead of 1, no?

Crap! Cheri just told me Phoebe wants to move. Hell no! Yet she refuses to talk about it :(
She will, let her a day or two...

I won't let anyone leave till I have finished my PWP plan against bothering move-ins, but I don't want to begin it before getting the golden watering can... And I need more villager pictures!

MicH

I saved and quit, booted the game up again and she came and told me. Convinced her to stay :)

Anyone I can visit to get signatures?

Animekatt

I saved and quit, booted the game up again and she came and told me. Convinced her to stay :)

Anyone I can visit to get signatures?

Sure. ^.^

Also, what's this mystic petition people have been getting from their villagers? I have yet to receive one...

Philia

Interesting..sounds pretty much like me (minus the Fairy Tale Clock thing and I got a few other hybrids instead). I also got peach as my town fruit which makes me wonder if this a co-incidence or not..

Gold ore, 5 hybrids and Katrina in town who asked for plaid bottoms.

LOL BPB was saying the same thing to me yesterday. We both got the same fortune. She's gemini and I'm capricorn. You?

EDIT: OMG... come think of it... she's peaches too.

EDITx2: Did you go to sleep with the fortune item as I'd always do? I like to think that the good luck thing is having a cascading/roll over effect.

Well, crap, I was rocking these for over a month. Wouldn't be able to get them for you before tonight though, so probably useless?

http://moridb.com/items/bottoms/green-plaid-shorts

Also do you really want to wear my old shorts? Because I don't own a washing machine.

LOL! <333333333

MicH

Thank you do much for your help, Katt and Koren. Lets see what Apple gives me.

EDIT: YESSSSS PIC OF APPLE

Also I have a spare fine painting if anyone wants it!

zroid

Banned
Hmmm, I've got Olivia at the campsite right now. I've definitely been wanting a cat, but she wasn't among my first few picks. Still, what say you AC-GAF?

I already have a snooty villager whom I'm fond of (Miranda), so I don't need her for the PWPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom