• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

What the hell is up with the grass deterioration?

This is my first Animal Crossing game and I've only played it for 5-6 hours so far, over the course of the last three days, yet I'm getting these big patches of dirt everywhere. I did run around the town for the forty minutes I played before I was told it could damage the grass (you'd think the game would mention this mechanic, ugh). That said, after reading up on the game it seems the main thing that's probably causing it for me is the fact that I load the game several times a day.

I've been playing this alongside Pokemon, and usually play the game in half-hour chunks 3-4 times a day. Why am I punished for the way I choose to play the game? I don't have time to get everything done all at once, and I WANT to play a few times a day. Apparently saving the game causes the deterioration to happen as well? Well fuck me, I've been playing this with a friend and every time I let him into my town the game is forced to save.

Is there anything I can do? I've started moving all of my flowers onto some of the dirt patches but I don't have enough yet...I don't even have 100% approval rating as a Mayor, if that gives you an indication of how early into the game I am.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

This is my first Animal Crossing game and I've only played it for 5-6 hours so far, over the course of the last three days, yet I'm getting these big patches of dirt everywhere. I did run around the town for the forty minutes I played before I was told it could damage the grass (you'd think the game would mention this mechanic, ugh). That said, after reading up on the game it seems the main thing that's probably causing it for me is the fact that I load the game several times a day.

I've been playing this alongside Pokemon, and usually play the game in half-hour chunks 3-4 times a day. Why am I punished for the way I choose to play the game? I don't have time to get everything done all at once, and I WANT to play a few times a day. Apparently saving the game causes the deterioration to happen as well? Well fuck me, I've been playing this with a friend and every time I let him into my town the game is forced to save.

Is there anything I can do? I've started moving all of my flowers onto some of the dirt patches but I don't have enough yet...I don't even have 100% approval rating as a Mayor, if that gives you an indication of how early into the game I am.

I don't think I've ever seen multiple loadings throughout the day as a cause for grass deterioration. I think putting flowers on bare patches and watering will work eventually, but the issue is if you walk onto those patches after you water them, the effect is negated I think. I think there's a way to time travel two months forward and then back or some shit like that to get your grass back if you want an easier solution. Trust me, I know your pain. I'm living like fucking Aladdin here.

Elija2

I believe that loading/saving the game causing your grass to deteriorate was only true fin City Folk and isn't true in New Leaf. In New Leaf only actually stepping on the grass deteriorates it. Putting flowers on top of the grass and watering them should make the grass grow back faster, but it's still a long process and stepping on the grass even once will still cause it to deteriorate. If you're so worried about it just try not to step on any grass if you don't have to, and if you do walk over it as slow as possible because that apparently reduces the amount of deterioration that will occur. Yeah, it's a dumb feature. Don't ask Niraj about how his grass looks.

And you didn't even get the 100% approval rating yet? You should have finished that day one.

Macka

And you didn't even get the 100% approval rating yet? You should have finished that day one.
I've never played a game like this before. For the first three hours I was just fishing and shaking trees. :p Either way it's reassuring to hear that constant loading might not be fucking me over.

Wolfe

Yeah saving/loading doesn't hurt it or my grass would be shit. I've basically taken to never running on my grass and it's grown back and hasn't deteriorated since, the rule I use is any movement speed that doesn't cause a dust cloud is ok and as I said my grass is pretty much baller status.

Then again maybe the 5 billion flowers I have helped somehow (damn villagers, I never asked for this).

Koomaster

Just saw the letter in my mailbox from you, Koo. Cheers for it and the item. :) I can't wait either.

Might take a while to get there though.
Welcome!

Hopefully not much longer. I just gave you 10 more visits while I was watching the Walking Dead, and I saw someone else visit while I was there. So that gives you +11 at least since your last post. Getting close to the finish line. :)

rataven

Can you grow grass back over ALL dirt patches? It seems like my village came with quite a few bare areas when I started, and I figured there wasn't anything that could be done about those, but I'd be stoked if I could green them up!

Hopefully not much longer. I just gave you 10 more visits while I was watching the Walking Dead, and I saw someone else visit while I was there. So that gives you +11 at least since your last post. Getting close to the finish line. :)

Good man. :)

Can you grow grass back over ALL dirt patches? It seems like my village came with quite a few bare areas when I started, and I figured there wasn't anything that could be done about those, but I'd be stoked if I could green them up!

Original dirt patches will forever be dirt patches.

Wolfe

Yeah each layout had default dirt patches I believe.

Welcome!

Puts me at 86 then. Thanks bunch man, super appreciated! :D

I'll leave the 3DS on and gates open overnight in case anyone else feels like popping by.

rataven

Original dirt patches will forever be dirt patches.

Yeah each layout had default dirt patches I believe.

Aw that's too bad. I have a few annoyingly placed dirt patches.

For all the freedom NL gives you, there's still some annoying locked up issues, like rock placement and neighbor plots in stupid places, that I hope eventually open up at some AC in the future. I'd love full town design control.

Niraj

Puts me at 86 then. Thanks bunch man, super appreciated! :D

I'll leave the 3DS on and gates open overnight in case anyone else feels like popping by.

I'll try to drop by a few times after dropping Wolfe's photo frame off. Speaking of, let me know when you're ready Wolfe.

Also, Frogstep, let me know when I can drop off that slushie machine.

braves01

Banned

For all the freedom NL gives you, there's still some annoying locked up issues, like rock placement and neighbor plots in stupid places, that I hope eventually open up at some AC in the future. I'd love full town design control.

As much as I'd like total control over everything in the town, I do worry the game would lose some of its charm. I think keeping some stuff luck based or just well-hidden in terms of mechanics is occasionally a good thing.

Yeah, Isabelle shot down a long-gestating plan for a bridge because my house was too close... at three AND four squares between edges of bridge/house, and being a couple squares below the main house. It shouldn't be in any no-build zone, and yet...

I'll try to drop by a few times after dropping Wolfe's photo frame off. Speaking of, let me know when you're ready Wolfe.

Brilliant, cheers! :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, Isabelle shot down a long-gestating plan for a bridge because my house was too close... at three AND four squares between edges of bridge/house, and being a couple squares below the main house. It shouldn't be in any no-build zone, and yet..
Stuff like this is dumb. I destroyed a bridge and was going to build a different type of bridge in the exact same spot but I wasn't able to because a house was in the way. Apparently spacing rules don't apply when townies move in but they do when I want to rebuild a bridge in the exact same spot.....

Wolfe

About to hop on the bus, I'll post again when I'm back home and have my gate open.

Niraj

I only got the orange one from Jack, never did figure out how to get the other color ones :p

If you lost to a villager and didn't have a hat on they'd give you that (may have had to have the rest of your clothes as patched clothes, not sure). I have a couple extras still I think if you want them.

Wolfe

Ah ok yeah if you don't mind holding onto one for me I'd appreciate it, unless you want to drop it off now real quick. And if so you should BF me so I can bug you in game when I see ya.

Niraj

Ah ok yeah if you don't mind holding onto one for me I'd appreciate it, unless you want to drop it off now real quick. And if so you should BF me so I can bug you in game when I see ya.

I can drop them off really quick. I think there's only two extras I had.

Finally, finally, finally got Bruce's picture this evening. He's one of my original 5 and favorite villagers but he refused to give me his pic. Got it today for an "any fruit" request. Quote: "Nobody's perfect."

Does anyone have a spare fishing tourney wall they don't mind parting with? I have an extra floor I could trade plus some Saharah/Halloween stuff.

Frogstep

What's a fast way to make bells now that the sharks and beetles are no longer available for farming?

I really should have stepped my game up, but I was being silly thinking that my house not being upgraded all the way didn't bother me. It does now. :<

Niraj

What's a fast way to make bells now that the sharks and beetles are no longer available for farming?

I really should have stepped my game up, but I was being silly thinking that my house not being upgraded all the way didn't bother me. It does now. :<

Can't you just go to the island like usual?

Frogstep

Presumably. It's perpetually summer on the island.

Well, I know how I'll be spending my nights from now on. I wish I knew this sooner but I kind of stopped visiting the island after a few visits to a point where I completely forgot it even existed.

Thanks for filling me in!

I got my second rare mushroom today. (A very apt name, considering it was over a month apart between the two.) Now I can FINALLY chop down most of my trees and reign in my flowers and make a town that doesn't look like an overgrown swamp.

After that, I can start my "vignettes" and repair my grass. I (probably) won't be so ashamed of my town anymore! :D

Niraj

I got my second rare mushroom today. (A very apt name, considering it was over a month apart between the two.) Now I can FINALLY chop down most of my trees and reign in my flowers and make a town that doesn't look like an overgrown swamp.

After that, I can start my "vignettes" and repair my grass. I (probably) won't be so ashamed of my town anymore! :D

Come to think of it, even though I've visited, I don't think I've ever really seen your town.

Someday another tuna will wander up to my shore.

lol, I just couldn't resist being a dick :D it's kind of my M.O.

Wolfe

lol, I just couldn't resist being a dick :D it's kind of my M.O.

It's funny cause a few months back Kami came to my town to look for a Petaltail dragonfly after not having any luck in his town for days and I still had the right time of day. I'm just doing whatever and he's hunting and at some point gives up and sits down on the bench in front of the cafe, I walk over near the river and immediately spot one and catch it (I hadn't cataloged one yet anyway) then proceed to run back to him and bust it out a few times to show off lol.

Niraj

It's funny cause a few months back Kami came to my town to look for a Petaltail dragonfly after not having any luck in his town for days and I still had the right time of day. I'm just doing whatever and he's hunting and at some point gives up and sits down on the bench in front of the cafe, I walk over near the river and immediately spot one and catch it (I hadn't cataloged one yet anyway) then proceed to run back to him and bust it out a few times to show off lol.

lol nice.

Not sure how many visits it was, but I got ab to 100.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I also haven't seen Katie in a really long time. I think the only thing I'm missing from her is the sketch book and maybe the globe. I'm sure she'll visit me soon enough.
That's a good point, I haven't seen her in ages as well. And to think their was this brief period she was popping up every other day, but I was only playing a bit each day so I never bothered to take her anywhere.

In the meantime, whilst watching the Giant Bomb Extra Life livestream, I started doing what Philia and BGBW did and making a map of the town. It's WIP still but the paths and building placements are done. Went pretty quickly.
Mine is still WIP because I've only focused on one side of the river so far but I've found it to invaluable. I mean for example I was looking at it the other day and realised that the pattern my paths and flowers are drawing had one line too many near the top so I basically had to shift every up by one. Would never have noticed that in game. It's being picky but if I'm going to do something on a large scale I want to do it right.

Whew, the majority of the "weeding" (read: flower destroying) & landscaping is done. My town is now one big blank slate.

I was having Harvest Moon flashbacks there, all that late night yard work. The rebuilding begins tomorrow.

Wolfe

Oh that reminds me I was going to pick up all my mushrooms and toss them in my house before the day ends.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh good, I got the Mush Wall this time. Was worried I'd get the floor three times in a row.

Instead I got a repeat of the Harvest furniture at Nook's.

Chopper

Yeah, I got a second Mush Dresser today. But at least Sahara's here, and I got a Tree-lined Wall and a spare Autumn Floor. Not bad.

Bah! Just had a character move out and there was no way to stop them. Got a heads up a few days ago and no matter how many times I spoke to them, they never raised the issue of them moving out. I tried and tried as well.

Come today and they are all packed and told me they couldn't find a way to let me know they were moving. I hate that!!!

lol nice.

Not sure how many visits it was, but I got ab to 100.
14; you're a trooper! Thanks a million man, that's fantastic! :D Super, super appreciate it!

Thanks to you, Koomaster, bluepolicebox, Wolfe and everyone else who helped grind my visit count high. Station's getting remodeled today!

Mine is still WIP because I've only focused on one side of the river so far but I've found it to invaluable. I mean for example I was looking at it the other day and realised that the pattern my paths and flowers are drawing had one line too many near the top so I basically had to shift every up by one. Would never have noticed that in game. It's being picky but if I'm going to do something on a large scale I want to do it right.
I hear ya. I'm pretty persnickety when it comes to placement as well. I obsess over the little details. I'm hoping the map will help me better plan out my PWP placement. Since I can't have as many in the southern area as I intially thought, it'll help me better plan around them.

Whew, the majority of the "weeding" (read: flower destroying) & landscaping is done. My town is now one big blank slate.

I was having Harvest Moon flashbacks there, all that late night yard work. The rebuilding begins tomorrow.
Nice. It's a ton of work and time, but there's nothing like the feeling when a landscape project comes together.

I'm slowly (very slowly) breeding the white carnations I need for my carnation garden. I can't wait to finish it, finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom