• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Hey all,

LadyRiven asked me for some flower tips, and I realized that I have so many, so I made an all-inclusive blog post about it!

Everything I think I know about flowers in Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Yup. Pretty much the ultimate guide. Good work.

Recently I've been trying to breed pink tulips, and was having a horrible time of it, thanks to the snow. Even with fertilisers, I was lucky to get a single spawn, and even then it was more commonly white or red.

I can't decide if it is better to completely surround fertiliser with flowers or to just use four. Presumably, the more the merrier? But then, I don't want to limit the number of spaces for spawns.

zigg

Yup. Pretty much the ultimate guide. Good work.
Thank you sir.

Recently I've been trying to breed pink tulips, and was having a horrible time of it, thanks to the snow. Even with fertilisers, I was lucky to get a single spawn, and even then it was more commonly white or red.

I can't decide if it is better to completely surround fertiliser with flowers or to just use four. Presumably, the more the merrier? But then, I don't want to limit the number of spaces for spawns.
Phew, hmm. I would expect that a single fertilizer spot would only be responsible for one spawn, no matter how many flowers you surround it with. If you're not willing to tear up all your other flowers temporarily, you could try a bit of selective watering, perhaps.

I don't recall pink tulips being too hard to get, though. Maybe put several white-red pairs on your beach and selective-water those?

Good one!
Thanks! 😊

Frogstep

Pretty active campsite past couple of days in my town.

mlcCZkc.jpg

Got this cool looking guy today. If I had a free spot I might have taken him in, maybe some other time. Frogs and Octopi(?) get along, right?

2AmbeEO.jpg

Cute bunny visit yestrday.

And I got Lionel the day before. Thought I got a screenie of that but guess I missed my shot.

mlcCZkc.jpg

Got this cool looking guy today. If I had a free spot I might have taken him in, maybe some other time. Frogs and Octopi(?) get along, right?

OMG... It's Tako... I wish I could recruit from other igloos. I have two spots open. :/ Oddly, I had Marina today in my campsite but I really don't want her. I only want Tako. :(

Man, having a shit day today mentally. Think I might draw something to try and take my mind off things. Any AC related requests? First one wins
my horrible art

Frogstep

OMG... It's Tako... I wish I could recruit from other igloos. I have two spots open. :/ Oddly, I had Marina today in my campsite but I really don't want her. I only want Tako. :(

First octopus villager I've gotten and of course I'm full and it's the cool one. lol

The option to convince other people's campers to come camp in your town really should have been in this game.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

2AmbeEO.jpg

Cute bunny visit yestrday.

And I got Lionel the day before. Thought I got a screenie of that but guess I missed my shot.

Sounds like they're running through my whole town there. That might mean Muffy soon...

Man, having a shit day today mentally. Think I might draw something to try and take my mind off things. Any AC related requests? First one wins
my horrible art

Hope whatever's got you down gets better soon :)

Niraj

I forgot, have a meteor shower tonight, if anybody wants to make a wish. Who knows, you could get a throne and sell it for fat stacks.

Velcro Fly

How do I get the birthday song? It's the Saturday before my birthday and I don't want to miss it :(

edit: If my birthday is on Saturday does he play it then?

suzu

How do I get the birthday song? It's the Saturday before my birthday and I don't want to miss it :(

edit: If my birthday is on Saturday does he play it then?

KK should play it + give a copy for you (the next day in the mail?) when you visit him on the Saturday before your birthday. He's there from 8pm to Midnight.

I don't actually remember if I got the song the next day or on the same day. lol

What was that trick to getting KK Slider's picture? Go there with a full inventory and keep telling him to pick a song to play until he tries giving it to you?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess I'll try to get a new hairstyle tomorrow since the slider is apparently only 4 positions so I ended up with the exact same cut.

I've only missed two days of playing this game since its release and need to add people eventually that still play as well... barely have been able to spend time with the online stuff as much as I'd like :p

So you can get campers even when you have 10 citizens? Shoot, after I invited Portia, my camp hasn't been used by anyone.

Is anyone else getting some fatigue with the game? It's a good game but there's hardly anything to do after the morning chores anymore until a new month comes and I can catch something new for the museum. That and Nintendo zone & street pass stuff.

leroidys

So you can get campers even when you have 10 citizens? Shoot, after I invited Portia, my camp hasn't been used by anyone.

Is anyone else getting some fatigue with the game? It's a good game but there's hardly anything to do after the morning chores anymore until a new month comes and I can catch something new for the museum. That and Nintendo zone & street pass stuff.

Yes. It's basically just "grab fossils, check stores" every day unless Redd or Joan is in town.

It could be nostalgia glasses, but I remembered way more random stuff happening in the GC version. Random creepy letters from anonymous people or villagers, more villager dialogue, larger variety of "missions"...

Velcro Fly

Yeah at a certain point to me anyway the game becomes pick a random badge and start grinding for it. It's still fun to play but once I fill up my museum I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to play. Even if in six months I put the game down I'll know I still got several hundred hours worth of enjoyment out of the game. I know it technically lasts forever but grinding out badges seems to be the upper limit of what I have left to accomplish outside of a few events between now and June.

Niraj

That's just the nature of the game I suppose, though it's not really a phenomenon that's particularly exclusive. There's nearly always going to be a disconnect from that initial novelty to the point where one becomes mired in the unimaginative bog that is routine. Getting a little bored is perfectly reasonable, and I think everyone has been there at some point. It probably doesn't help that we're coming off of one of the busiest months we've had in awhile (a lot of new items in the stores, snowballs, Toy Day, Countdown, and also the Harvest Festival a week or so before December) and we don't really have any events in January aside from New Year's Day and another fishing tourney.

I'm currently in the "grind for badges" phase as I try to fill up my catalog. Is there a point to getting 100%? Nah, but it gives me something to work toward. Some people are really into renovating their towns or homes, and that's another way to keep busy. Even then, some days are just "grab fossils, check stores, build snowperson, talk to villagers, end," but I suppose it helps that I'm always multitasking when playing. It definitely helps to play with others too I suppose. Most of my best experiences with the game involved meeting new people on the Club Tortimer island or just hanging out with people here. Granted, that's not always feasible, but even if it's something like "hey, can I pop in and catalog x?" it makes for a nice change.

Of course, I wouldn't worry about it if you can't set any goals that seem worthwhile to you. Tons of people take a break from it altogether and come back and find themselves enjoying it much more. In the end though, I guess it's just meant to be one of those games you play for a small amount of time everyday anyway, so it's not really problematic to become a little dismayed by a lack of things to do when it's symptomatic of the nature of the game itself. That said, think about the things that you like most in the game and focus your efforts towards them.

Then again, the stuff I'm saying probably ain't exactly hot off the press, kid on the street corner selling papers for a nickel sort of thing and everyone's aware of it, but I've rambled too much to not submit the post at this point.

Then again, the stuff I'm saying probably ain't exactly hot off the press, kid on the street corner selling papers for a nickle sort of thing and everyone's aware of it, but I've rambled too much to not submit the post at this point.

I laughed when I got to this line. It's true though. I gave myself a goal of redecorating my house, I'm getting into that lull of checking a few things and being done, and I'll focus on my catalog more after that. I allow myself to have those moments where I'm "bored" then I go back.

I've been playing Warcraft since the beginning with the same strat. It allows me to not get burned out too much.

Still haven't missed a day since release, wonder when the streak wil end...

But some days, it is just, check if special visitor is in town, make a snowman, check if Retail have interesting premium stuff (not in that order) and save and quit. And looking if no one is moving each two days. Takes maybe 15 minutes. It's not the whole day playing AC anymore. :p Still busy with Bravely Default and some GT6 if I feel for it.

Today Ankha asked me for a petition, so I go to another town. That town had also Ankha and she was my last villager who signed the petition. Kinda hoped that my Ankha would notice it, but no, it's normal there are two Ankha's. :) No pic, but a queen... Oh well, one day, your pic will be mine Ankha. :)

I'm busy with Snowboy collecting stuff. Only Snowman stuff I'm "missing" is the lift chair. Have some dupes of other stuff.

I still happily play every day too. (Missed only one day due to illness since the US launch.) Most days I play in small spurts: a quick check-in over coffee in the morning (having taken over my rage-at-the-news time), collecting a few chores over lunch, and then making the rounds again while dinner is cooking in the evening. Then a couple days a week, I play a bit longer and give myself a project to work on: landscaping/PWPs/houses, fixing up villagers' houses, islanding for badges, visiting dream towns, etc.. By spacing it out, I always have something that will require my attention and the beauty of the game is that I can do it only when I feel like it.

Niraj

Forgot, I also have an unactivated snowman if anybody wants to try to get lucky with a number.

Frogstep

I haven't missed any days either, technically, but I have missed maybe a 3/4 of a day's worth of time maybe once or twice. But I always make it in time before shops close up for the day. :)

I won't kill myself if I miss a day, but I probably haven't missed more than 5 since launch.

Chop:

Tall bovoid
Tall gongoid
Buzzoid

Got a snowman if anyone wants to come over and roll his number. Got a snowman matryoshka from Snowtyke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom