• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make the greatest museum exhibit imaginable. I'm trying to get 36 of them, I have 29 so far (but Chopper has one waiting for me). I'd post a pic but it's gotten so close to completion I now want to wait till I have the whole thing before showing it off again.

I assume you don't want to just dupe them?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I assume you don't want to just dupe them?
Since I only have six left to get I'll try to get them legitimately. But thanks for the offer.

Finally started building the cafe. Don't know why it has taken me so long, I ended up placing it in the spot I decided upon months ago.

Still need to find a nice spot for the police station. These permanent structures can be a bit of a pain, especially when the rest of your village can more or less be completely remodelled if you feel like it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I kind of wish I put my cafe somewhere else. I just put it right in front of my station without giving it much thought. If I could do it again, I'd probably put it more towards the eastern cliff/campsite since there's a lot of space over there too, which would've made dumping stuff on the ground near the station more feasible.

Got this one today:

zlCfzRbjqjoFeXDm1i

Chopper

I kind of wish I put my cafe somewhere else. I just put it right in front of my station without giving it much thought. If I could do it again, I'd probably put it more towards the eastern cliff/campsite since there's a lot of space over there too, which would've made dumping stuff on the ground near the station more feasible.

Got this one today:

zlCfzRbjqjoFeXDm1i
Holy shit dude. You are cleaning up the badges. 5000 medals?! You have too much spare time, my friend.

Niraj

Holy shit dude. You are cleaning up the badges. 5000 medals?! You have too much spare time, my friend.

It's really not that much effort. I pretty much got all of them this past week, and I'd guess 80% were from elite scavenger hunt. When you know what all the items look like (bolstered by the fact that the rooms will always have the same item sets) you can easily finish in 1.5 to 3 minutes. So at best you're getting ~640 an hour, ~320 an hour at worst (which is pretty much never the case). So when you're, say, marathoning a TV show over the weekend at the same time, they accumulate very quickly.

Other tours also give you a remarkable amount of dead time. Elite hammer tour only requires 60 hits for gold, which can be gotten in about two minutes out of the three. Stuff like pros-only bug hunt only require you to catch 10 bugs, which usually gives you around two minutes of free time as well.

How can you not pay attention whilst accumulating medals?

Because most of them are mind-numbingly simple. Just repetitive and time consuming. Put on a movie, listen to some music, talk to a friend on Skype, and put that tiny part of your brain required for the mini-games on auto-pilot.

A couple of random questions.

1. I had Gracie appear twice so far and both times were pretty close together but it's been almost a week since I've seen her. Do I need to do something else for her to show up the other two times?

2. How are the campsite/igloo items obtained? I've been talking to visitors for awhile now and I never see any of those items mentioned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've decided that instead of waiting for a premium on furniture I'm just going to sell all this junk I've accumulated.

It's all orderable stuff so if I do find in the future someone needs an item desperately I can always reorder, but I'm wondering if there are any particular items people are desperate for because I may just have it in my pile of junk.

Code:
clear model
modern wood lamp
loom
Eiffel Tower
golf bag
boxing barricade
record player
speed bag
tree-stump chair
ranch wall rack
microwave
sunrise lamp
school speaker
exotic chest
jingle tv
dentist's chair
robo-char
classic table
jingle bed
jingle table
storage case
exotic table
festive tree
left platform
paper lantern
patchwork lamp
dolly
pear dresser
jackhammer
ranch wall rack
tumbleweed
exotic end table
jingle shelves
tall lantern
jingle piano
kiddie bookcase
left lucky cat
papa bear
astro clock
pothos
antique clock
jingle lamp
record player

Niraj

A couple of random questions.

1. I had Gracie appear twice so far and both times were pretty close together but it's been almost a week since I've seen her. Do I need to do something else for her to show up the other two times?

2. How are the campsite/igloo items obtained? I've been talking to visitors for awhile now and I never see any of those items mentioned.

1. Unfortunately, no :( I had a huge gap between my visits.

2. When you play those games with them (like the 5 item one) they'll sometimes offer them to you. Unfortunately, it's random, so you might have to play more times than you'd like. Thankfully, those are all orderable, so if you ever get tired of trying to get them, we can order them for you.

1. Unfortunately, no :( I had a huge gap between my visits.

2. When you play those games with them (like the 5 item one) they'll sometimes offer them to you. Unfortunately, it's random, so you might have to play more times than you'd like. Thankfully, those are all orderable, so if you ever get tired of trying to get them, we can order them for you.

1. Well that's good to know. I thought maybe I did something wrong.

2. There aren't any I really want, I just thought it was odd that I hadn't seen any of them. Thanks though!

Niraj

Wow, congrats man! :O

I'm still working my way towards silver. I've been farming that scavenger hunt tour whenever it has shown up or whenever farming beetles gets a little boring. Probably the easiest tour to do.

Thanks dude. Definitely agree. The time to medal ratio is just too good.

Stencil

OMG I had no idea you could select more than one item to give to Blathers...

I was really dreading my return from my first Island visit.

LOL.

OK, so anyways, I just made the Night Owl ordinance, what exactly does that do? I mean, what are the hours changed to?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OMG I had no idea you could select more than one item to give to Blathers...

I was really dreading my return from my first Island visit.

LOL.

OK, so anyways, I just made the Night Owl ordinance, what exactly does that do? I mean, what are the hours changed to?
Opening hours for shops are shifted to open and close later and villagers will sleep later. I believe the shift is about three hours.

Info on ordinances.

suzu

When does Gracie change her wares? Also when does she do discounts? D:

I'd like to eventually buy all of the Gorgeous series (currently have none), but I need some time to scrape some bells together. lol

Niraj

When does Gracie change her wares? Also when does she do discounts? D:

I'd like to eventually buy all of the Gorgeous series (currently have none), but I need some time to scrape some bells together. lol

Why isn't Gracie selling *insert item*?
Gracie's stock is cyclical, so she won't be selling the same stuff throughout the year. Her seasons are defined as follows:

Spring is March 1st to May 31st, and the Princess series is available.
Summer is June 1st to August 31st, and Gracie's series is available.
Autumn is September 1st to November 30th, and the Sweets series is available.
Winter is December 1st to February 28th/29th, and the Gorgeous series is available.

On top of this, during the last month there will be sales, with 15% off all items starting on the 15th, 30% off on the 21st, and 50% off on the 26th. Some of the seasonal items may be sold out and replaced with pieces of the Card series or the Wedding Cake item, though these items are not discounted. There are also clothes that you can only buy during the sales periods.

Niraj

Woh! Congrats! That's a huge HUGE success!
I couldn't even tolerate going through the dream world visits to get the bronze badge for that +_+

That one isn't too bad if you skip towns that have clearly been abandoned :/

I should probably clarify that "last month" refers to the last month of the season. I should probably edit that in the OP too.

milkham

I've decided that instead of waiting for a premium on furniture I'm just going to sell all this junk I've accumulated.

It's all orderable stuff so if I do find in the future someone needs an item desperately I can always reorder, but I'm wondering if there are any particular items people are desperate for because I may just have it in my pile of junk.

what's a gold bag?

braves01

Banned
I stopped going to the island after a couple weeks of playing the stalk market. I wouldn't be sad if it gets cut for future games. I don't like having to leave town for that stuff.

Anyways, congrats on 5k medals.

milkham

I stopped going to the island after a couple weeks of playing the stalk market. I wouldn't be sad if it gets cut for future games. I don't like having to leave town for that stuff.

how else will pre-teen japanese girls hold you hostage until you friend them?

Niraj

There are things I don't like about it, but it was nice meeting people there from time to time. I've met some really nice people who I've played with there.

My biggest request for the next game is a goddamn stat board or page. They couldn't even do the one stat they do offer you right. Why would they put that at the end of the tree thing when that's the only reason anybody sits down?

And thanks :)

I think I got that advice from you actually lol. So thanks. :p

Oh lol. You're welcome :p

how else will pre-teen japanese girls hold you hostage until you friend them?

lol

Chopper

My biggest request for the next game is a goddamn stat board or page. They couldn't even do the one stat they do offer you right. Why would they put that at the end of the tree thing when that's the only reason anybody sits down?
So true. I'm not even sure you can see how many medals you have without instigating a purchase, can you?

milkham

So true. I'm not even sure you can see how many medals you have without instigating a purchase, can you?

you can talk to granny but might as well instigate a purchase at that point.
sooooo is it time for grabbing gyroids yet?

I will trade
snowman wall
snowman sofa x2
snowman clock
snowman vanity x2
snowman dresser
snowman

for one snowman table please, anyone!? i'll throw in a painting

Niraj

You can talk to Kap'n's mom and it'll show you how many you have currently. But no way to see your complete total. I just took a guess as to how many I still needed and took it from there.

braves01

Banned
In addition to being a neat little Miiverse portal, I really hope the Animal Crossing Plaza for Wii U is a proof of concept for the upcoming game. One thing that was really disappointing to me about City Folk was that the "city" didn't feel like one at all. I'd like to think having all those models roaming around on screen means the team was testing having a bigger plaza/city more than 4 people can meet up in to trade stuff or play mini-games, instead of only being able to visit other people's towns (or meeting on the island).

I think the lack of stats is a deliberate design choice. While there are players who enjoy targeting and earning specific badges, perhaps the designers are gently nudging players in the direction of earning them organically. If we consider the fact that the game is meant to be played over a long period of time, the fishing badge shows how many fish you caught during your tenure as mayor not how many you could grind out of the sea. It's possible for us to do otherwise but they're not going to encourage our efforts. Or at least that's how I've come to interpret it.

I'm the only one who sits on the tree ledge to see how far they've come? I just wish it showed former villagers as well as current ones. I never saved their move in/move out dates and sometimes wish I had.

Niraj

I think the lack of stats is a deliberate design choice. While there are players who enjoy targeting and earning specific badges, perhaps the designers are gently nudging players in the direction of earning them organically. If we consider the fact that the game is meant to be played over a long period of time, the fishing badge shows how many fish you caught during your tenure as mayor not how many you could grind out of the sea. It's possible for us to do otherwise but they're not going to encourage our efforts. Or at least that's how I've come to interpret it.

I'm the only one who sits on the tree ledge to see how far they've come? I just wish it showed former villagers as well as current ones. I never saved their move in/move out dates and sometimes wish I had.

Yeah, I can understand that mindset. Still though. If you want that kind of thing, I don't see the harm in including it. People who would rather get them organically can still do so. If people want to make badges their goal, that should be their prerogative. It just sucks that you're kind of handicapped in the way that you are in doing so.

Yes, you're the only one :p

I've been so damn busy lately that I haven't even played in about 3 weeks. I'm gonna spend a good chunk of Wednesday catching up.
You're gonna have to move yourself back up to the rank of "shmoopy" now, you know that...

Also, Niraj, congrats. For getting your gold badge and for making my head hurt at the same time thinking about that much islanding. *chuckles*

Niraj

You're gonna have to move yourself back up to the rank of "shmoopy" now, you know that...

Also, Niraj, congrats. For getting your gold badge and for making my head hurt at the same time thinking about that much islanding. *chuckles*

Lol. Well let me put it this way: I was playing Steel Diver tonight...I would have rather had more medals to get :p

Collete

I just realized sitting on the tree is like having your own personal credits of who moves in and what date things get finished and built.
*mind blown*

Elija2

I just realized sitting on the tree is like having your own personal credits of who moves in and what date things get finished and built.
*mind blown*

I think it deletes villagers that aren't in your town anymore, which kinda sucks but I guess keeping them would make getting the number of visitors to your town take too long. That's why they should have put it at the beginning though!

milkham

anyone want a kappa hat? i grabbed 2 extras last night

I will trade
snowman wall
snowman sofa x2
snowman clock
snowman vanity x2
snowman dresser
snowman

for one snowman table please, anyone!? i'll throw in a painting

Status
Not open for further replies.