• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if any hardcore collectors could give me a little hand?

I haven't properly played since... Christmas, so I was wondering if any new DLC was released that I still don't have?

For reference, I missed the Hagoita, but I did pick up every astrology item (up to Cancer Table).

Did they ever release the Kimbap Plate and the missing DLC hats/clothes or were all those via hacks?

I'm gonna grab nips today so if anyone sees any snazzy prices during the week and want a visitor, please let me know. I'll do the same.

Pecan asked to move out last night and I gave her my blessing. I forgot what day it is but if anyone wants her, she's yours. I'm not going to even bother kissing her bum for a pic.

Chopper

I'm gonna grab nips today so if anyone sees any snazzy prices during the week and want a visitor, please let me know. I'll do the same.

Pecan asked to move out last night and I gave her my blessing. I forgot what day it is but if anyone wants her, she's yours. I'm not going to even bother kissing her bum for a pic.
Ha ha. She didn't last very long!

MicH

Decided to try and get back to this game thanks to Chopper's thread. Turns out I only needed one more Katrina visit to get her PWP. At least I now have every single PWP finally :D

Kinda sad I missed out on everything from Festivale until Weeding Day as well as the period in which the Hydrangea's bloomed. I don't know if I want to just change the clock to March and just play a few months behind or just keep it at what it really is. My town is in a winter "setting" at the moment with all the illuminated PWPs and stuff though. I have to get that fixed :lol

Linius

I completely missed Choppers thread. Great stuff that. Might try to get back in a little, leaving on a holiday tomorrow. Perfect timing.

Crazy thing is, I haven't touched my 3DS since I quit this game. But I do have a backlog with other games :p

Zing

Banned
I already thought you guys were hardcore obsessive lunatics, now you reveal that you are controlling multiple characters in the same town?

Velcro Fly

I already thought you guys were hardcore obsessive lunatics, now you reveal that you are controlling multiple characters in the same town?

I need mule space for unorderable stuff that I didn't want to leave up all year round.

I never even fully built my alt house though :(

Zing

Banned
I just discovered that you can order furniture you find in the happy home streetpass area. Now I want more streetpasses. I'll need to take a trip downtown toronto.

Thanks!

Cool, Europe had the Tteok Plate? Very interesting... Was also surprised when I got an Eraser Sofa from Nintendo Zone.

Surprisingly I only need three then: the Hagoita, School Cap and White School Cap.

I have the hats if you want to catalog them. Hagoita isn't reorderable and I only got one, unfortunately.

I just discovered that you can order furniture you find in the happy home streetpass area. Now I want more streetpasses. I'll need to take a trip downtown toronto.
Yeah, but only five items per day. So if a home has a lot of stuff you want, lock it down as a favorite so it doesn't get erased with new StreetPasses.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Chopper's thread bringing back the memories.

Now I'm tempted to play again (and work out what date to set my game back to). But I can't, I have to finish Xenoblade!

MicH

Chopper's thread bringing back the memories.

Now I'm tempted to play again (and work out what date to set my game back to). But I can't, I have to finish Xenoblade!
Yes, finish Xenoblade and then go back to New Leaf :D

I'm currently in April with my town, trying to catch up one day a time. My town is LITTERED with extras of stuff I want to get rid of, mainly extras from the Ice series, a crap ton of Pavé stuff, some golden stuff and a few mush pieces. Oh, and way too many feathers that I don't know what to do with. If anyone want anything, let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna sell it to clean up my town :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, finish Xenoblade and then go back to New Leaf :D

I'm currently in April with my town, trying to catch up one day a time. My town is LITTERED with extras of stuff I want to get rid of, mainly extras from the Ice series, a crap ton of Pavé stuff, some golden stuff and a few mush pieces. Oh, and way too many feathers that I don't know what to do with. If anyone want anything, let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna sell it to clean up my town :p

The history of my town summed up in a sentence.

One day I'll get that golden watering can. ;)

I'm going through my backlog and finish stuff. Finally bothered to finish Pokémon after nine months. Now Xenoblade and it's a million side quests.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm going through my backlog and finish stuff. Finally bothered to finish Pokémon after nine months. Now Xenoblade and it's a million side quests.

Hopefully you're not actively trying to clear them all, you'll go nuts :p loved that game though.

Wow Redd is in town today and he had the Flowery painting!

Now I just need the Scenic Painting and I'm done :D

I'm too lazy uhh... 'busy' to sort my mail and items out but when I do I'll have a few spare artworks I'll offer here

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully you're not actively trying to clear them all, you'll go nuts :p loved that game though.

I'm at least trying to get all the timed quests out of the way because I'd hate to miss out on something. I'll probably move on to the next story segment though since some quests are asking for items in the next area.

So did anyone find my 10 hidden gold roses?

zlCfzSMZxtQyscPBsE

Velcro Fly

Now comes the painful task of redoing the furniture in rooms of my house. I've had the Ice Set in my main room for far too long now. Other rooms I'm about tired of too.

Finally going to finish my golden room. Also thinking I might do a hall of fame room where I put a few trophies that I've won, some villager pictures, and maybe a couple pieces of art or something. I know I talked about doing that a long time ago and I just never did.

Oh hey, I got that gold catalog badge today as well :D
Yay!!! He must have wanted to get it all over with at once. :p
Now comes the painful task of redoing the furniture in rooms of my house. I've had the Ice Set in my main room for far too long now. Other rooms I'm about tired of too.
I'm having a really hard time wanting to change mine. I chaned it at the beginning of the year and I still love it. Though I'd really love to get the final two pieces of the one room - the anchor and wallpaper from Pascal - but I've been WAYYYY too lazy about diving.

I may redo my photo room upstairs though. I'd totally sloppy it up but I'm still missing too many pieces.
Thank you so much! Got Tangy's pic!
Awesome! Sorry if I got confused there when you first came in. I thought you were you and then it seemed like you thought I needed sigs and then I was like wait and second guessed it. Haha. I should have warned you too that it wasn't quite 9:00 a.m. yet either. I was just chilling early waiting for ReTail to open so I could get my nip prices.

MicH

Good lord. I've gotten 30 pieces of the Egg set (doing Easter event right now), gotten countless of grand prize tickets (and don't get me started on the candy) and I still need two pieces. I hate how it's all random :( I think I'm gonna stop now and live with the fact that the set is incomplete. Stupid clock and tv!

I have extras of pretty much every other item though, so if you need any let me know!

Zing

Banned
Don't you guys feel as though you are cheating by changing the system time? How proud can one be of the catalog badge when it was mostly acquired by time traveling or just going to random internet folks' town and picking up items for a moment?

I noticed that Animal Crossing forums are filled with people like this, who time travel constantly to get rare items, have 3 alts, multiple copies of the game running towns, "harvest towns", and so on. It all seems a little crazy to me.

I feel the game is designed to be played for many years to experience most of the content, and it is not intended that every person will discover everything. Instead, many people are gaming the system in an attempt to find all the content as fast as possible. I wonder if the designers would actually be disappointed to see that, after only a year (or less), many people are "finished" with the game.

Niraj

I'm having a really hard time wanting to change mine. I chaned it at the beginning of the year and I still love it. Though I'd really love to get the final two pieces of the one room - the anchor and wallpaper from Pascal - but I've been WAYYYY too lazy about diving.

I may redo my photo room upstairs though. I'd totally sloppy it up but I'm still missing too many pieces.

I need to redo some of my rooms too, particularly my main room and my room on the left, just way too cramped. I started changing the main one back when the mush furniture came around, but never completely transitioned, so there's half mush and half card stuff. The other room has the whole cabana and cabin furniture since I filled it up for the rustic theme, so there isn't a ton of room there either. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days :p

Time travel is a mechanic built directly in to the game. Labelling it "cheating" is completely subjective. Some people find time traveling more fun than playing day by day. It's their prerogative.

The catalog badge can be achieved without time travel and even without a generous community going out of their way to share with and help you. I suspect for many of the participants here cataloging items has been as much about getting to know each other and form friendships as it has been playing the game.

Animal Crossing is a very open game that can be approached in any number of ways. A player can choose to ignore the time travel options offered each and every time they start the game. They can also choose to ignore the multiplayer options. And the badges/achievement system. And, thankfully, those who choose to call them crazy, obsessive, cheating lunatics.

Niraj

Don't you guys feel as though you are cheating by changing the system time? How proud can one be of the catalog badge when it was mostly acquired by time traveling or just going to random internet folks' town and picking up items for a moment?

I noticed that Animal Crossing forums are filled with people like this, who time travel constantly to get rare items, have 3 alts, multiple copies of the game running towns, "harvest towns", and so on. It all seems a little crazy to me.

I feel the game is designed to be played for many years to experience most of the content, and it is not intended that every person will discover everything. Instead, many people are gaming the system in an attempt to find all the content as fast as possible. I wonder if the designers would actually be disappointed to see that, after only a year (or less), many people are "finished" with the game.

Most people here who do time travel are those who stopped playing and are trying to catch up to the current date. They're not skipping any days, so what's the big deal? I don't understand the point about cataloging. Trading items is a natural side effect of being able to visit other towns in the first place. Is it better to wait years in the hopes that a single item from a series will pop up in a store when you can just trade a friend? Realistically, most people would just give up if trading wasn't an option. Seems like you're extrapolating a little too much in general with that other stuff. I'm not seeing it here.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I really doubt the creators would care how a person chooses to play so long as their work is being experienced.

I need to redo some of my rooms too, particularly my main room and my room on the left, just way too cramped. I started changing the main one back when the mush furniture came around, but never completely transitioned, so there's half mush and half card stuff. The other room has the whole cabana and cabin furniture since I filled it up for the rustic theme, so there isn't a ton of room there either. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days :p

Hahaha wanted to redo my rooms as well, but yeah event furniture basically took over my closet space and then in some rooms trying to place an object and run out of space ;__; even my alt ran out of closet space XD, need to expand the house fully so it can be the storage mule it was intended to be =P

I'm at least trying to get all the timed quests out of the way because I'd hate to miss out on something. I'll probably move on to the next story segment though since some quests are asking for items in the next area.

Ah Xenoblade, I too need to complete it, timed quests make me panic when they appear, I got to the swamp and need to get out of there T-T

I just chalk it up to playing how you want. As long as what they're doing doesn't corrupt my game if I visit or vice versa, then whatever. I don't get too mad.

My own rules? No major TT'ing (I have done a couple of hours here and there if adult life consumes my day and I miss something) and I try to avoid duped items. I'm not perfect though. The one thing I put my foot down on in particular though was sloppy. I wanted to get the whole set through either random ReTail pieces, trading for legit pieces, or conning my villagers out of theirs.
Also, congratulations to Euda and Mic on the gold badges :)
Thanks!!

MicH

I usually don't time travel as I generally don't like it as the risks are too big (villagers moving out specifically), I'm only doing it now to catch up from when I stopped playing. To be honest, I don't really care what other people are doing, if they're time traveling or skipping forward to see future events. It doesn't ruin my experience or affect me in anyway, so they can do whatever they want. Besides, not a lot of people here on GAF does so it doesn't really "contaminate" the trading and stuff like that. Just stay away from GameFAQs :p

A lot of the stuff you need to complete the catalog is quit hard or near impossible to get, so I see no problem in "cheating" to get them filled in. There's stuff like the stupid zodiac animals which would take years to get which is just ridiculous. Also, the Birthday and Weeding sets are quite hard/annoying to get. Some of my favorite memories here have been going to catalogue parties to fill out my catalog with fellow Gaffers :D

Also, congratulations to Euda and Mic on the gold badges :)
Thanks :D It must have been a coincidence as I haven't encountered too many new items since I stopped and Phineas was just being slow (as always). Or I really just needed very few items to actually get it!

Zing

Banned
Why is there a need to "catch up"? Why is there a need to get "impossible" items "filled in"?

…

I just got a slingshot yesterday and already I have pegged six balloons. I just upgraded home to have an upstairs and made it a kid room with toys and the balloon decor.

I was given one last chance to stop Biskit from leaving and took it. I didn't realize I had the option when he initially told me he was leaving. When he announced it, I said "good bye" and he got sad. It didn't make sense since he had just made a speech about how he was done with my town and wanted to move on. I guess he just needed some attention.

MicH

Why is there a need to "catch up"? Why is there a need to get "impossible" items "filled in"?done with my town and wanted to move on. I guess he just needed some attention.
Because I don't want to wait 8 months to experience those events or get those exclusive items. Also, people want those items because they want to get as close to 100%ing the game as possible, much like in many other games. This is also why some people will play games for an insane amount of time or do tedious tasks a million times to get an achievement or trophy

It would be cool to see some of your guys houses once they're up together.
My house is completely finished and I put a ton of effort into designing and arranging it.
Whenever I get Streetpass houses they're always a bit... well, crappy really.

Granted I haven't played online all that much or visited many dream towns so I guess I'm just not coming into contact with the more hardcore players, but it is something that has been a little disappointing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since my main incentive when playing this game was house decorating cataloguing was a life saver. I mean you only benefit from the common items you can reorder so you still have to work for the rare stuff.

My house is completely finished and I put a ton of effort into designing and arranging it.

Granted I haven't played online all that much or visited many dream towns so I guess I'm just not coming into contact with the more hardcore players, but it is something that has been a little disappointing.
I think this partially killed my liking for New Leaf. Watching all this half arsed abandoned houses arrive in my streetpass plaza was kind of depressing.

I'd post my dream town but I don't really want to open my file until I'm ready to work out where I left it and have a plan on what I'm doing sorry.

Niraj

Why is there a need to "catch up"? Why is there a need to get "impossible" items "filled in"?

Because he wanted to, and because people want to. There isn't a need for most things in life, but it just comes down to individual desires.

Yeah I hear you, a lot of the time I get ones that have clearly been abandoned. I usually save the decent ones to check out later (and then never go back to them lol :( ). I thought this one was pretty cool, though I don't know remember what the other rooms looked like:

zlCfzRroPJsYFNU_fw

MicH

Since my main incentive when playing this game was house decorating cataloguing was a life saver. I mean you only benefit from the common items you can reorder so you still have to work for the rare stuff.

I think this partially killed my liking for New Leaf. Watching all this half arsed abandoned houses arrive in my streetpass plaza was kind of depressing.

I'd post my dream town but I don't really want to open my file until I'm ready to work out where I left it and have a plan on what I'm doing sorry.
I love decorating my house, though my house is currently stuck in a Christmas and winter theme. My original plan was to make each room have a theme: a Christmas, winter, summer, spring/Easter and autumn room. So far only three are done, but I've since filled them with crap since their completion. Ack. I gotta get back to that.

and yes, having everything available to order is really nice

Pattrikx

Neo Member
I love decorating my house, though my house is currently stuck in a Christmas and winter theme.

Haha, I always have that problem after Christmas, but unlike you, I don't have a permanently Christmas-themed room, I just make my main room Christmassy, then end up leaving the decorations up until March out of laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom