• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT5| Gotta Catalog 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Looks fun. But I'm not gonna pay money for a theme that is only fun for a short while every year. It's not if I want my 3DS in Halloween style all year :p

Looks fun. But I'm not gonna pay money for a theme that is only fun for a short while every year. It's not if I want my 3DS in Halloween style all year :p
I'd get it. I won't get all the AC ones but I like the idea of changing it with the month or with holidays.

My trees are so golden today! I didn't pop in my town yesterday so I missed if that was a yesterday or today thing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'd get it. I won't get all the AC ones but I like the idea of changing it with the month or with holidays.

My trees are so golden today! I didn't pop in my town yesterday so I missed if that was a yesterday or today thing.

I think it was today.

Linius

Change is nice, but I think I'd prefer Christmas then. Halloween isn't that big around here anyways so I probably won't feel the same about Halloween as the average American player.

Frogstep

That one is pretty cool but I think I still prefer the others way more. I wonder what's taking so long for those to come out here. They're just music, sounds and backgrounds, right?

I have non-native perfect cherries on premium today in Threads. It's also a bell boom town.

If anyone wants to stop by send me a PM with your FC and when you're available.

Gavin115

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this is a dumb question but has anyone made a goomba flag for the town?
Because I'm trying now and I can't get the right foot to look right, it's driving me nuts :/

I almost regret buying this game now. I knew smash bros was coming but I didn't care. Now my town is being neglected cause of it.... Haven't played much since it came out.

Because I'm trying now and I can't get the right foot to look right, it's driving me nuts :/
If you unlock the QR machine you can use a mobile app that changes the image into a QR code usable for ACNL, but it'll think the image wasn't made by you so you won't be able to edit/make it into your own shirt etc.

Not sure if there's a link on the OP but there was a website that can show you what to colour to use and where for your images.

Niraj

If you unlock the QR machine you can use a mobile app that changes the image into a QR code usable for ACNL, but it'll think the image wasn't made by you so you won't be able to edit/make it into your own shirt etc.

Not sure if there's a link on the OP but there was a website that can show you what to colour to use and where for your images.

If you use this you can upload a picture and it will convert it to an AC design. It will tell you which colors to use in which square, etc.

Gavin115

Unconfirmed Member

If you use this you can upload a picture and it will convert it to an AC design. It will tell you which colors to use in which square, etc.

Sweet, thanks.
This should help.

Azuran

Banned
That moment when you realized you should have store all that candy instead of eating it...

Please tell me I'm not the only one here who did that ><

Niraj

That moment when you realized you should have store all that candy instead of eating it...

You don't really need much, if any. Make sure you grab all the masks though from Labelle's though.

It's funny--I don't think I've ever played this game in Fall or Winter. I'm tempted to go back now, but me playing AC is such a huge commitment. I *have* to play every day if I'm playing at all. Does anyone else have this problem?

Bacon

I just bought the game yesterday and I can already feel its hooks sinking into me.

I have a question though. What is the draw for those of you that have been playing since day one and still are? Are you still having a good time with the game. Basically I'm trying to figure out how long a tail this game will have for me.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Niraj

And here I've been storing every single candy I can.

It's a very lenient event. Just make sure you're not wearing clothes you like, and make sure you empty your inventory of non-tool items just in case.

I just bought the game yesterday and I can already feel its hooks sinking into me.

I have a question though. What is the draw for those of you that have been playing since day one and still are? Are you still having a good time with the game. Basically I'm trying to figure out how long a tail this game will have for me.

These days I've been trying to get more flower hybrids, but for the most part it's just part of my morning routine. Just dig up my fossils, do a few chores, water some flowers, and I'm done. I like sticking around because it's relaxing and I like to help other players if they need it. I'm also waiting for the largest tree, which should be coming up soon (it requires 500 hours and 500 unique days played).

I'm still happy with it though I admit my time has died down a ton lately. I log on to do the minimum and check on my town in general. Occasionally I'll spend more time if I'm just chilling and don't want anything too taxing on my attention. I have a couple of things I'd like to accomplish (like the 100 million Bell savings and all the sloppy furniture) but I'm not in a rush. Being active in here has helped as well.

Frogstep

I'm still playing for pretty much the same reasons Niraj and probably everyone else still are. It also took me quite some time to get a full frog town, so I'll be god damned if I let that work go to waste. Also it's relaxing. :p

zigg

I kinda let it slide for several days at a time. I invariably find I have a to-do list (destroy boring flowers, money rock, fossils, sell random crap I've been mailed) and if it feels too long I end up bailing and then forgetting to come back for awhile &#128546; In truth, I'm not playing much of anything these days, on any system…

I get the most playtime letting kids/nieces/nephews strip my town of perfect peaches to boost their bank accounts.

Bacon

Interesting thoughts guys. How long would you say you were like, super addicted to the game? I've had it for a couple days now and have been pretty enthralled by it so far. Seems like I could spend a lot of time with it.

Zing

Banned

Doesn't Jack tell you that you will need candy the first time you meet him at the beginning of October?

Interesting thoughts guys. How long would you say you were like, super addicted to the game? I've had it for a couple days now and have been pretty enthralled by it so far. Seems like I could spend a lot of time with it.
I started Christmas day 2013 and played every day for a few weeks, then I quit. Everything in the game seemed like it was designed to just waste time, for example, all the excessive repetitive dialog every time you enter or leave a shop, talk to shopkeepers etc. I didn't see the point of the game. I had no interest in decorating my house or buying clothes. I tried to sell the game on the forums here for months and no one bought at $20 shipped.

This was fortunate, as I decided to give the game another try in June. I loaded up my town, and played for a few days. I had a lot of fun. Everything that bothered me the first time around didn't bother me this time. I also rather enjoyed collecting sets of furniture and trying to put together outfits. I then had my daughter move into my town and she loved it. Unfortunately, that meant that I had less time to play it myself, so I bought her her own copy of the game and she moved into her own town as mayor.

I've been going strong ever since, with a couple days break when Smash Bros hit.

I had to change ordinance, went for greed is good and didn't log in for two days.

Grey flowers everywhere.

Back to beautiful.
If you aren't playing frequently and collecting stuff to sell, the bell boom ordinance doesn't seem to be worthwhile. I also sometimes go for a couple days without playing, but the wilted flowers don't bother me. If you have silver or golden can, it's easy to get them back in shape.

Hey there AC GAF. Haven't posted in this thread since March or so because personal things got in the way but I still read it here and there. Missed the whole month of September as well and with this being my first Halloween in New Leaf, I wanted to pop back in since I have the time. If I'm being honest, the whole month away really reinvigorated my love of this game. I have a bunch of new ideas for my town and haven't been this hooked since early summertime.

I remember trying to use this when you recommended it for some custom pro designs but haven't had too much success. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I did use it as a guideline of sorts for how it could be done. Been wanting to make some Halloween themed stuff so I might give it a go again.

zigg

Several months, easy. I kinda felt like I "won" when I grew the last of the hybrids though and tapered off from there.

FWIW, I didn't bother much with cataloging. I preferred to focus on flowers.

EDIT: Aw hell, now I'm playing again this evening…

EDIT 2: PETITION GET

EDIT 3: Do we still have IRC?

Niraj

Definitely the launch summer. There were a ton of us playing, so there were always towns open, always things to do. The first time we encountered all the events were fun, since we were always visiting each other. There were also big cataloging events. There was kind of a downward trend when Pokemon came out, but then there was a big renewal in the winter with the snowmen and stuff like that.

Hey there AC GAF. Haven't posted in this thread since March or so because personal things got in the way but I still read it here and there. Missed the whole month of September as well and with this being my first Halloween in New Leaf, I wanted to pop back in since I have the time. If I'm being honest, the whole month away really reinvigorated my love of this game. I have a bunch of new ideas for my town and haven't been this hooked since early summertime.

I remember trying to use this when you recommended it for some custom pro designs but haven't had too much success. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I did use it as a guideline of sorts for how it could be done. Been wanting to make some Halloween themed stuff so I might give it a go again.

It could depend on the picture honestly. Most things aren't going to look 1 to 1. I can show a few I did:

tumblr_mr8zwlRG771sw5rnlo1_400.jpg

That flag design was from this.

tumblr_mpuzlylztQ1sw5rnlo1_400.jpg

From this.

tumblr_mr0kxmglcq1sw5rnlo2_400.jpg

From this. I couldn't really find a good picture for some of those lol. So it's not that bad if the pictures are simple.

Grizzo

It's funny--I don't think I've ever played this game in Fall or Winter. I'm tempted to go back now, but me playing AC is such a huge commitment. I *have* to play every day if I'm playing at all. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes I do, sometimes I do feel like the game kinda holds me hostage. I need to play everyday to make sure my favorite villagers don't want to leave :(

You guys. FANTASY LIFE COMES OUT IN 4 DAYS.

Start saying your goodbyes now, and pack your bags for Reveria.

Been playing Fantasy Life for a month now and I still manage to find a few minutes for Animal Crossing here and there, usually right before shutting down my 3DS for the night!

SigSig

ACGaf, comfort me ;_;
I didn't play for a month or so because I had no time and also because I couldn't find my 3DS charger. When I booted up New Leaf today, I was hoping nobody important moved out, took a quick glance at the map and sure enough no house was missing, everything right where I left it...
Except for my favourite villager.
Kid Cat was one of my initial villagers and he was the best and now he's gone ;____;

I'm really not sure if I even want to continue playing New Leaf, but if I don't, Julian will also leave :(

Grizzo

ACGaf, comfort me ;_;
I didn't play for a month or so because I had no time and also because I couldn't find my 3DS charger. When I booted up New Leaf today, I was hoping nobody important moved out, took a quick glance at the map and sure enough no house was missing, everything right where I left it...
Kid Cat was one of my initial villagers and he was the best and now he's gone ;____;

I'm really not sure if I even want to continue playing New Leaf, but if I don't, Julian will also leave :(

that's what's the main flaw about the game, you can't just jump back in and expect all your favorite villagers to be there. It's just pure luck :(

There should be a way to "lock" certain villagers, i.e. prevent them from leaving (just put a limit, like you can only "lock" three of them or something like that).

I know people are gonna tell me that the game is designed to mimic real life: if you go on about your life, other people will live theirs too and thus they might move out of town or get married or whatever. But man... it hurts a bit :/

You guys. FANTASY LIFE COMES OUT IN 4 DAYS.

Start saying your goodbyes now, and pack your bags for Reveria.
Nah, I'll still check. I have turnips. :p I'm still playing THAT part of the game. That's my curse from not charging millions of Bells in the beginning for characters people wanted. :/

Pokémon demo for the US this week too!!
ACGaf, comfort me ;_;

*pat pat*
It'll be okay. You never know who your new favorite could end up being. At least stick through the holidays. They're pretty fun. *nodnod*

ACGaf, comfort me ;_;

Condolences :( There's a few useful pieces of information to help keep your villagers from running off. If you want to take a break, you have three options:

1. Wait until a day when a villager pings to leave. Let them go or tell them to stay then save and quit. As long as you don’t turn on the game, no one else will leave.

2. Note the day you stop playing. When you want to start again, change your 3DS clock (not the in-game one with Isabelle) back to this day.

3. Start the game with a new character/file and check to see if anyone has left or gone into boxes in your absence. If they have, change the 3DS clock back and tell them to stay put.

And if you're checking to see if someone is thinking of moving, there are some key pieces of dialogue that will come up if someone isn't leaving. This is helpful because you know it's safe to take a break without worrying.

Cranky: state that rumors can be frightening.
Jock: ask to spread rumors about their latest world record, or complain that others say that they are a prince from another planet.
Lazy: Rumors that he bought X item and now has a world-class X collection.
Normal: comment that they will only spread rumors they have seen themselves.
Smug:remark that they have done things with other villagers, but refuse to elaborate on the details.
Snooty: use fabricated examples to show the player that simple rumors can spread very quickly.
Uchi: complain that rumors are circulating that they are known for one sport, when it is in fact another.
Peppy: ask the player for any gossip, think you are keeping something secret, and ask for you to spread the details.

Also keep in mind that if you haven't spoken to a villager in several days, they can't ping you. This stuff isn't ideal, I know, but it's the best we can do based on the game's mechanics.

My roommate and I got AC during the smash bros sale. I have been playing this quite a bit. It's my second animal crossing but I'm liking it more than the last one I played (City Folk) I usually play it right before going to bed, to unwind for the day

Grizzo

Condolences :( There's a few useful pieces of information to help keep your villagers from running off. If you want to take a break, you have three options:

1. Wait until a day when a villager pings to leave. Let them go or tell them to stay then save and quit. As long as you don’t turn on the game, no one else will leave.

2. Note the day you stop playing. When you want to start again, change your 3DS clock (not the in-game one with Isabelle) back to this day.

3. Start the game with a new character/file and check to see if anyone has left or gone into boxes in your absence. If they have, change the 3DS clock back and tell them to stay put.

And if you're checking to see if someone is thinking of moving, there are some key pieces of dialogue that will come up if someone isn't leaving. This is helpful because you know it's safe to take a break without worrying.

Cranky: state that rumors can be frightening.
Jock: ask to spread rumors about their latest world record, or complain that others say that they are a prince from another planet.
Lazy: Rumors that he bought X item and now has a world-class X collection.
Normal: comment that they will only spread rumors they have seen themselves.
Smug:remark that they have done things with other villagers, but refuse to elaborate on the details.
Snooty: use fabricated examples to show the player that simple rumors can spread very quickly.
Uchi: complain that rumors are circulating that they are known for one sport, when it is in fact another.
Peppy: ask the player for any gossip, think you are keeping something secret, and ask for you to spread the details.

Also keep in mind that if you haven't spoken to a villager in several days, they can't ping you. This stuff isn't ideal, I know, but it's the best we can do based on the game's mechanics.

I was under the impression that even if a villager doesn't ping you, he can leave anyway (without pinging you to tell you about it).

Does the "go back in time" trick really work? I did that once and the villager who was supposed to leave was already gone...

Hampered just told me he wanted to leave... So I let him go, because I already have two other cranky villagers (Elvis and Roscoe).

Hamphrey is cute but Roscoe just arrived yesterday and I want to give him a chance, even though I already know he's just gonna say the same things as Elvis.

I hope to get a new villager in the next few days!

yayaba

Wife and I still on this treadmill. Last I checked:

Her: 88 hours
Me: 84 hours

Completely surprised how many hours she's sinked into this since she is a pretty casual gamer.

She's been hooked into upgrading her house all the way and participating in getting HHA points so I worry that she'll get bored after she has no more use for her bells though and maxes out on HHA rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom