• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 46 22.0%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 78 37.3%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 40 19.1%

• Total voters

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Trigun Stampede looked fucking amazing as does all Studio Orange shows. In fact, their first anime, Land of the Lustrous, actually initially had a 2D animation PV released before it was switched to CGI, and just about every reader of the LotL manga agreed the CGI was able to represent the manga better.

Claiming that Studio Orange would ever say one of their shows is not worth watching is ridiculous. They put in the work and use CGI to its full advantage, as both 2D and CGI each have strengths and weaknesses and to generalize one as all negative is unfair and wrong.

Here’s a deep dive in how Land of the Lustrous uses CGI to great effect and the direction elevates moments from the manga so well, and now another CGI show, The Dragon Prince, fails to utilize CGI well:

As for Trigun Stampede, they took five years to make it, made a massive worldbuilding bible for the setting that could carry five seasons alone (and they’re supposedly only doing two, that’s how dedicated they are), etc. THIS is passion. Claiming this studio would ever say their show is worthless, I’m sorry, that’s just unfair. If you want to be biased, you can be, but you shouldn’t disrespect creative artists/animators who are clearly putting in genuine work to their creation.

And how many times do you see people talking about Trigun Stampede? No one talks about that show versus say Beserk 2016, why? Because it didn't stand out, the CGI was great for anime but it was combined with a show that felt inferior to the original in every way, and there's your problem, so everyone just put it to the back of their memory if they even watched it at all. Unlike Beserk which was so bad people actually discussed it.

Land of Lustrious was actually the example of CGI use which I was thinking about but couldn't remember the name of. The issue is its been 7 years now and still an overwhelming majority of CGI is used because it's quick and cheap and pointing out the few exceptions to the rule just highlights how frequently these not exceptions infest the anime landscape and essentially waste an entire season slot.

So it might be unfair, but it's not going to stop me rolling my eyes everytime I see anouther wildly regarded classic get a full CGI sequel/remake.

But I will make a bet here, I bet as AI gets better at creating artwork and inbetween cells, that Animation studios stop using CGI, because currently it massively simplifies dynamic movement, but if you could train an AI to effectively draw transition frames more people will use that, because it looks less shit. The only reason it's chosen is cost saving.

Last edited:

Doom85

And how many times do you see people talking about Trigun Stampede? No one talks about that show versus say Beserk 2016, why? Because it didn't stand out, the CGI was great for anime but it was combined with a show that felt inferior to the original in every way, and there's your problem, so everyone just put it to the back of their memory if they even watched it at all. Unlike Beserk which was so bad people actually discussed it.

Land of Lustrious was actually the example of CGI use which I was thinking about but couldn't remember the name of. The issue is its been 7 years now and still an overwhelming majority of CGI is used because it's quick and cheap and pointing out the few exceptions to the rule just highlights how frequently these not exceptions infest the anime landscape and essentially waste an entire season slot.

So it might be unfair, but it's not going to stop me rolling my eyes everytime I see anouther wildly regarded classic get a full CGI sequel/remake.

But I will make a bet here, I bet as AI gets better at creating artwork and inbetween cells, that Animation studios stop using CGI, because currently it massively simplifies dynamic movement, but if you could train an AI to effectively draw transition frames more people will use that, because it looks less shit. The only reason it's chosen is cost saving.

-Stampede is getting a second season, so clearly enough people cared for it to do that. Berserk 2016 is talked about more because it was a disaster on multiple levels (awful sound effects, skipping arcs, etc.). Beastars also did well enough to get a second season.

Also disagree about it being inferior to the original in every way. Stampede actually gave me a reason to give a shit about Vash and Knives’ connection, while the original took way too long for Knives to ever appear and learn anything about him so I had no reason to give a shit about how Vash felt about him. Also, Knives is actually presented as an antagonist to be legitimately feared, whereas the original most of the losses and pain that the heroes experience are from the hands of Knives’ henchman and not Knives himself so it makes him feel less proactive of an antagonist.

-if there are exceptions, then why generalize? You’re contradicting yourself here

-well, I don’t really care, I find generalizations frustrating and when a studio like Orange is clearly working their asses off, downplaying their hard work is disrespectful in my book

-the only reason? So you didn’t watch the first video. If you truly refuse to listen to anyone about the advantages CGI could offer, you’re just extremely biased. Which, fine, you do you if you have a personal preference, but don’t spread misinformation about what the different styles of animation can each offer. It’s just as obnoxious when a western animation fan dismissed all anime’s style of animation, and vice versa.

Generic

-Stampede is getting a second season, so clearly enough people cared for it to do that. Berserk 2016 is talked about more because it was a disaster on multiple levels (awful sound effects, skipping arcs, etc.). Beastars also did well enough to get a second season.

Also disagree about it being inferior to the original in every way. Stampede actually gave me a reason to give a shit about Vash and Knives’ connection, while the original took way too long for Knives to ever appear and learn anything about him so I had no reason to give a shit about how Vash felt about him. Also, Knives is actually presented as an antagonist to be legitimately feared, whereas the original most of the losses and pain that the heroes experience are from the hands of Knives’ henchman and not Knives himself so it makes him feel less proactive of an antagonist.

-if there are exceptions, then why generalize? You’re contradicting yourself here

-well, I don’t really care, I find generalizations frustrating and when a studio like Orange is clearly working their asses off, downplaying their hard work is disrespectful in my book

-the only reason? So you didn’t watch the first video. If you truly refuse to listen to anyone about the advantages CGI could offer, you’re just extremely biased. Which, fine, you do you if you have a personal preference, but don’t spread misinformation about what the different styles of animation can each offer. It’s just as obnoxious when a western animation fan dismissed all anime’s style of animation, and vice versa.
To be fair, the old Berserk anime also skipped arcs.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

If you have never heard of " The exception that proves the rule"? Or generally confused by Hyperbole on the Internet I'm not sure what to say. Other than in the same way your not expecting me to suddenly look at a video about shit looking CGI looking shit and suddenly coming to an epiphany that it's someone how better than what modern traditional animation can put out. I'm not expecting you to get over the fact I think Trigun Stampede could have saved everyone's time by not being made.

It is however fun for everyone else reading, which is why thw opinion is presented more extreme that it would otherwise be.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

i just watched the Castlevania Nocturne, i thought the first two seasons were pretty good, it goes off a little when they tried to come up with original stories but i had no idea what to expect from the new series(spoiler warning?)

first omg the Message is strong with this one , i wasn't prepared

Maria is insufferable and everything wrong with the 'modern audience' character she is here to lecture viewers

Ritcher starts off as a weak crybaby, but he gets better he's ok

Drolta Tuentes is cool i like her she is one of the strongest characters,funny hot and evil,classic Vampire

The 'Vampire Messiah' is good as well, she had presence in all her scenes

Eduardo doesn't do much , the concept of a human turned demon who retains his humanity is a good idea but they don't do anything interesting i thought his hair looked silly when he turns into Demon, and he is an awful singer

Anette,( they seriously don't like white women do they?,) her hair looks from modern day lmao i would have accepted her more if she was an original character like many vampires of the first series

I wasn't expecting to see Juste appear at all ,at first i thought he was going to be old Dracula 😂 he even told all his backstory from the game, Juste as a tired,nihilist old man is one of the most memorable parts but thankfully he got over it

Olrox started as a strong
antagonist , but he is Gay,Black and talks about oppression ,of course he can't be a villain he should at least fight Ritcher ,maybe next season

The Abbot i thought they were going somewhere with, they had a Gray character who had good intentions but his blind devotion to his faith and wrong choices made him struggle, but nope lol, he ends up some crazy bad guy who was going to sacrifice his daughter on a whim,wasted

its a little sad the characters have to go through certain lines and cliches/stereotypes for propaganda,all predictable. however despite what i complain about here i thought the art looks pretty nice, action scenes very well made and its an overall quality production,must watch for fans it has some hype moments

Doom85

If you have never heard of " The exception that proves the rule"? Or generally confused by Hyperbole on the Internet I'm not sure what to say. Other than in the same way your not expecting me to suddenly look at a video about shit looking CGI looking shit and suddenly coming to an epiphany that it's someone how better than what modern traditional animation can put out. I'm not expecting you to get over the fact I think Trigun Stampede could have saved everyone's time by not being made.

It is however fun for everyone else reading, which is why thw opinion is presented more extreme that it would otherwise be.

It’s just you used the word “fact(s)” multiple times in prior posts. To me, I don’t like the spreading of misinformation, intentional or unintentional, lord knows there’s too much of that shit everywhere including Gaf. Opinions are fine, but one should be careful to separate opinions from facts or assumptions for that matter. I find nothing fun about reading something that is just blatantly false to me and yet the other person presents it as fact and not opinion.

I mean, you did it yet again by claiming everyone’s time would be saved. Like, what does that even mean, are you claiming that despite I and plenty of others really enjoying Stampede, you know we ”didn’t really enjoy it” or something? I’m pretty sure I know what I fucking like. Also, the mangaka himself approved of Stampede, so I’m sure he would be quite amused by such a statement.

And personally, I think an opinion seems stronger when one doesn’t feel the need to back it up with extremes and such but rather just let the opinion stand on its own. I wish more would do so, it just feels tiring to hear shit like, “I think we can all agree that _______” or “nobody wanted ______”. An opinion’s foundation seems shaky if it has to be frequently supported by extremes like that.

-Minsc-

Oops, I opened a CGI can of worms. :whistle:

I really have to go back and finish watching the Area 88 OVA. Got about 2/3rds though a couple months back when I had to go somewhere. Been on the back of my mind since.

Definitely old school anime.

EuP5GOu.jpeg
BZ310kz.jpeg

This Manga is something else 🤣🤣😂😂👀👀

Fbh

What's with Demon Slayer this season?.
Is it a filler arc or something?.

Not that the plot has ever been particularly good but we are 5 episodes into this season and it has been beyond bad so far

Doom85

Not that the plot has ever been particularly good but we are 5 episodes into this season and it has been beyond bad so far

I’ve not kept up past Mugen Train, but I heard past that arc in the manga it’s a rollercoaster of quality, some good, some bad. But I hear most feel it’s sticking with as apparently the final arc mostly slaps (IIRC the final fight itself is meh, but all the other fights go hard).

Sc5Slj1.jpeg

Baccano!: C

It was OK. Didn't get what the hype was about. Had the same reaction to Durarara!. The opening song is fantastic though. But I found the show to be pretty boring..

Before anyone @ me, I really tried to enjoy it but just wasn't my thing 👀

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Sc5Slj1.jpeg

It was OK. Didn't get what the hype was about. Had the same reaction to Durarara!. The opening song is fantastic though. But I found the show to be pretty boring..

I enjoyed the show back when I first watched it in my late twenties. If I watched it now for the first time in my early forties I can see myself being less interested in it. I think my brain is just different now. Still, I'd probably get some enjoyment out of it.

Doom85

Sc5Slj1.jpeg

Its All Good Fbi GIF by CBS

It’s personally my 6th favorite anime ever, but different strokes, you know?

In terms of Durarara, I enjoyed that one, but not to the extent of Baccano. Especially the main trio of high school kids from Durarara, I didn’t find their stories as interesting as the rest of the cast.

I enjoyed the show back when I first watched it in my late twenties. If I watched it now for the first time in my early forties I can see myself being less interested in it. I think my brain is just different now. Still, I'd probably get some enjoyment out of it.
Its All Good Fbi GIF by CBS

It’s personally my 6th favorite anime ever, but different strokes, you know?

In terms of Durarara, I enjoyed that one, but not to the extent of Baccano. Especially the main trio of high school kids from Durarara, I didn’t find their stories as interesting as the rest of the cast.

That's the thing I didn't go into it planning on hating on it. It just wasn't my thing. I found two certain people that are a couple to be obnoxiously annoying. And I didn't find the story and cast particularly interesting. But the Opening credits song is fantastic. Still got that stuck in my head

But it's getting tougher for me to watch anime like I used to. I prefer reading manga way more nowadays

That's due to

1. No Cut Content

2. The artstyle is always good and detailed. When with anime, it varies you get cheap looking episodes at times

3. I'm always up to date on the story

4. The manga version is usually the most uncensored

Last edited:

NanaMiku

That's the thing I didn't go into it planning on hating on it. It just wasn't my thing. I found two certain people that are a couple to be obnoxiously annoying. And I didn't find the story and cast particularly interesting. But the Opening credits song is fantastic. Still got that stuck in my head

But it's getting tougher for me to watch anime like I used to. I prefer reading manga way more nowadays

That's due to

1. No Cut Content

2. The artstyle is always good and detailed. When with anime, it varies you get cheap looking episodes at times

3. I'm always up to date on the story

4. The most uncensored
there's also cut content for manga if the original source is light novel.

NanaMiku

Dude don't know if that sarcasm but did you notice my PFP and the things I post about 👀👀👀

Also when it comes to Highschool DxD you mean the manga or light novel

I did watch the anime and enjoyed it
Hahahah, just to make sure.
The light novel. I forgot if I have read the manga or not. The anime was really bad in season 3, they had to retconned the ending of season 3 in season 4 opening.

Sc5Slj1.jpeg

Yeah it's overhyped as fuck. I remember the justification for the main villain being able to do all sorts of crazy shit was "He was in the circus" just straight up bad writing. DURARARARA is the same. 6/10 fiction as fuck.

There's like a single volume training arc and barely that before the big final battle. People are complaining but at that point in the manga you've barely had any time with the surviving Hashira's and the Snake and Stone Hashira barely had screen time. People aren't happy but the biggest problem with Demon Slayer is the bad/fast pacing "THIS HAPPENS, THEN THIS HAPPENS, THEN THIS HAPPENS." Giving the show more time to breath and characters some time to actually... Be in the series is good. Not that I'm watching it but that manga is incredibly fucking awful. Only manga I've bought in my life that I ever personally traded in to a second hand store afterwards.

drganon

Gold Member

I gave up on demon slayer after the second season.

Fbh

There's like a single volume training arc and barely that before the big final battle. People are complaining but at that point in the manga you've barely had any time with the surviving Hashira's and the Snake and Stone Hashira barely had screen time. People aren't happy but the biggest problem with Demon Slayer is the bad/fast pacing "THIS HAPPENS, THEN THIS HAPPENS, THEN THIS HAPPENS." Giving the show more time to breath and characters some time to actually... Be in the series is good. Not that I'm watching it but that manga is incredibly fucking awful. Only manga I've bought in my life that I ever personally traded in to a second hand store afterwards.

So far I've thought the fast pacing is one of the saving graces of the show because the story, characters and world are all super generic and derivative, but the fights are pretty fun and the Ufotable production values are good.
So having it focus on the action and usually jump straight toward the "final boss" of the season instead of filling up time with underlings is what has kept it watchable.
If this arc is what we get when the pacing slows down and the author tries to focus on the characters then I don't know if that's a good thing. It's not even a fun training arc, Tanjiro is just breezing through it all

Dorohedoro was pretty cool.

Did you watch the anime or read the manga?
I loved the manga but couldn't really get into the anime, IMO a lot of the visual appeal is lost in translation, specially with that 3D style they went with

drganon

Gold Member
So far I've thought the fast pacing is one of the saving graces of the show because the story, characters and world are all super generic and derivative, but the fights are pretty fun and the Ufotable production values are good.
So having it focus on the action and usually jump straight toward the "final boss" of the season instead of filling up time with underlings is what has kept it watchable.
If this arc is what we get when the pacing slows down and the author tries to focus on the characters then I don't know if that's a good thing. It's not even a fun training arc, Tanjiro is just breezing through it all

Did you watch the anime or read the manga?
I loved the manga but couldn't really get into the anime, IMO a lot of the visual appeal is lost in translation, specially with that 3D style they went with
Just the anime. It wasn't terrible, but just lost my interest after a while. It could've just been that particular arc though.

Doom85

Dorohedoro was pretty cool.
Just the anime. It wasn't terrible, but just lost my interest after a while. It could've just been that particular arc though.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

So I’m confused, did you like or dislike the Dorohedoro anime? Or did you get mixed up and thought Fbh was asking if you had watched the anime or read the manga for Demon Slayer (when Fbh was actually talking about Dorohedoro)?

drganon

Gold Member
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

So I’m confused, did you like or dislike the Dorohedoro anime? Or did you get mixed up and thought Fbh was asking if you had watched the anime or read the manga for Demon Slayer (when Fbh was actually talking about Dorohedoro)?
I mistakenly thought he was asking about demon slayer. Sorry for the confusion.

NanaMiku

I'm around 100 Pages into Mushoku Tensei Jobless Recarnation Volume 1 and

jXdvHjM.jpeg
IugjiTh.jpeg
JpC1wLG.jpeg
0eFv3iW.jpeg
MC9E2Bh.jpeg
rXij6BZ.jpeg
7qNoVwV.jpeg
VHNCHoi.jpeg
Vjlv4PC.jpeg

This book is super horny. Not complaining though 👀👀

Loving it so far
Yeah, LN is much hornier. If you want something horny, you can also try Harem in the Labyrinth of Other World. The LN is pretty detailed

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After watching the newest movie in theaters while I was in Japan recently, I started watching the Detective Conan anime with my son. He and I are now huge fans, which is good because we still have like 1000 episodes to watch.

Top Bottom