• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

Oh my, why didn't anyone tell me Yoshiki Tanaka's Tytania (Legend of Galactic Heroes author) is being animated and directed by the LOGH director Noboru Ishiguro. Shouldn't get my hopes up though, but at least the character designs seem decent.

http://www.tytania.jp/

Akia

Fireblend said:
Baccano! from last year. This year, I guess Birdy, Kaiba, The Daughter of 20 Faces and Kurenai have been the highlight.

I read the summaries on Chiko, Baccano!, Kure-nai and the Slayers anime. Nothing really stood out. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that the Fall Season delivers.

mAcOdIn

Akia said:
I read the summaries on Chiko, Baccano!, Kure-nai and the Slayers anime. Nothing really stood out. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that the Fall Season delivers.
What? The thing I loved most about Kurenai was the dialog between characters, something that's not going to be conveyed through a summary. Episode 2 and beyond is pure awesome, you should no by episode 2 if you'll like it or not, but the story of Kurenai really takes a backseat to the characters.

You're dead on about Slayers, I have no idea why alot of people like it.

Chiko's pretty good although I've fallen behind on it.

zoku88

mAcOdIn said:
I wear my lack of taste as a badge of pride then :)
Wear it high and proud, my friend ^^

Btw, have you seen the earlier series and commenting on Slayers as a whole or just the recent series?

mAcOdIn

zoku88 said:
Wear it high and proud, my friend ^^

Btw, have you seen the earlier series and commenting on Slayers as a whole or just the recent series?
Only the new one, I have not seen the older ones, so they may indeed be all kinds of awesome to me, but since it's licensed in my region it's gonna have to wait until I pay off my late fees.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
mAcOdIn said:
You're dead on about Slayers, I have no idea why alot of people like it.

Slayers is probably one of those forms of media that, for me, transcends any measure of goodness. Like Dragon Ball. I have no idea why I love it, but I'll be damned if I don't cry like a little girl at the end of every season.

In terms of plot development, it's average. Characterisation is somewhat two dimensional except for tiny slivers of drama, and the humor is dated at best. I can't explain to you why it is the greatest thing in the universe. There is no logic, only cheesy dialogue and heart warming fantasy adventurism.

(In other words, I lost my anime virginity to Slayers and am lost in perpetual nostalgia)

Are the subs for Chiko 14 out yet?

duckroll

Cloudy said:
WTF is going on in Soul Eater 17? W...T...F.. :lol

EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA

/cuts to commercials

duckroll

EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA EXCALIBUR EXCALIBUR I'M GOING TO CALIFORNIA

zurra

i love excalibur :lol :lol

couldn't help but laugh when
the knight of one pulled out excalibur
on last week's code geass

zoku88

Just watched ep 5 of Slayers. Looks like we're getting into serious territory >.>

Yay at my fav character appearing ^^

Neo C.

Akia said:
I read the summaries on Chiko, Baccano!, Kure-nai and the Slayers anime. Nothing really stood out.
Kurenai is filled with ambiguous dialogs, so it's not everyone's taste. To me, it's all about Murasaki, she's like the most adorable child character I've seen for a long time. As a whole, Kurenai is a genre mix, so even some watchable fight-scenes are part of the experience.

And Chiko...well it looks like genre mix is "in", so you have some thief theme, some post world war theme (searching for the ultimate weapon built during world war), some detective theme etc.
All these themes are packed in some of the best visuals filled with sometimes excellent animation and a few epic moment. I wish I could make some gifs, especially when Chiko fights and slides with a fucking broom (episode 15).

4kzguu.jpg

Chiko in Mission Impossible.

Dina

zoku88 said:
Just watched ep 5 of Slayers. Looks like we're getting into serious territory >.>

Yay at my fav character appearing ^^

Raw-rumour has it that ep 6 is silly old Slayers again and the preview for ep 7 seems to be cut out of the same wood.

But that's always been something that Slayers does, showing some bad guy or scheme at episode 5-8 and ignore it for the coming episodes.

From this season, I am watching Birdy and Yakushiji (might drop soon).

Of course, im still keeping up with Geass S2 and MF.

Fireblend

Banned
7Th said:
The final two episodes of Kaiba are out in a version everyone should be able to understand.
Yeah, a great ending. Most things were resolved and I was pretty satisfied with it. I was actually a little disappointed with episode 11 in terms of what had been left to resolve in the last episode but in the end I was very pleased. I'll definitely be rewatching it soon.

Fireblend

Banned
MarkMan said:
Is there a Fall 2008 thread yet?

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1217887678585lp0.jpg

I'm gonna watch...

Hokuto No Ken Raoh
Nodame Paris
Casshern Sin
Rosario + Vampire 2
Gundam 00
Vampire Knight II
Is Michiko To Hatchin really airing on Fall? Everytime I see that picture I ask about that but haven't really got a decent answer. Other than that, probably just Gundam00 and Nodame's second season. Also if I'm not mistaken I had heard someone praise Casshern, or was that just my imagination?

Pachael

RoodyPooUS said:
There are more eps of Today in Class 5-2 coming out? Or are those just repeats?

Full season in Fall.

Quite sure I'll follow Nodame, 5-2, probably ef, and I love Stitch, so I'll look and see.

Jason said:
Nodame Paris? :eek:

Is this a full season or a couple of episodes?

Whoa! I loveeed the Japanese Drama.
And WOW I really need to catch up with the Summer anime. Still have tons of stuff from spring to finish.

hey dudes

someone summarise/condense things for me

what are the 2-3 best scifi/action/horror shows out recently (2-3 years)

Busaiku

manipulate said:
hey dudes

Kaiba's easily been the most enjoyable scifi series in the last 3 years, for me at least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
manipulate said:
hey dudes

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for action. It is also sci-fi (technically), but I don't think it has what one looks for in that genre.

I'm reading Berserk Manga right now, I'm up to Volume 18.

Volume 18 spoilers
Like, this dude that has a flat face like the iron giant is a total prick. I wish the show would continue, but this shit is way too fucked up to show... and Farneze is a totally great character. Whenever somebody is getting tortured, she starts sweating and has a bit of a weird look on her face. Am I to take it she is getting sexually aroused by this kind of stuff?

rykomatsu

duckroll said:
Birdy ep6! Yay, more Maaya! Err... yay, more Maaya! Yay?

animation quality went to the dumps :(
shrillness in Maaya's voice from ep1/2 are all but gone now too...

still watching, but interest is waning a bit...maybe because this ep was a little slow too...

still think Wagaya and Natsume Yuujincho are the top 2 this season thus far...interestingly, the Japanese based yokai anime have had a pretty good run the last few seasons imho. Slow maybe, but interesting and really well done...(note, not ones which involve western monsters lol)
Wagaya, Natsume Yuujincho, Mokke, etc

Fireblend

Banned
manipulate said:
hey dudes

Kaiba, Noein, Dennou Coil, Gurren Lagann, Paprika (movie), I guess Diebuster could fit with the 3 years thing, but you have to watch Gunbuster first. As for action... I guess you have massive amounts with the ones I mentioned with Gurren Lagann alone, but I would add Eureka Seven. And if you haven't watched them already, although they don't really fit what you asked for, Planetes and Baccano! are very awesome.

(I know Planetes was uncalled for, but I have to mention it everytime anyone asks for recommendations)

Clevinger

syllogism said:
Oh my, why didn't anyone tell me Yoshiki Tanaka's Tytania (Legend of Galactic Heroes author) is being animated and directed by the LOGH director Noboru Ishiguro. Shouldn't get my hopes up though, but at least the character designs seem decent.

http://www.tytania.jp/

Neato. I'm up to episode 28 or so in Legend of Galactic Heroes and it ranks up there with Monster among well done anime stories.

JSnake

manipulate said:
hey dudes

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!! For action that is. also happens to be the best anime ever

duckroll

Snaku said:
Woah, that trailer gave me a bit of a stiffy...

Is this a remake, sequel, or original story?

Pretty sure it's a remake, which I guess also makes it an original story. I'm pretty pumped, looks awesome. :)

Fireblend

Banned
Why does my only option to watch Birdy has to be a horribly blurry mess? It's like someone applied a filter in purpose with that encode D: unwatchable...

zoku88

Fireblend said:
Why does my only option to watch Birdy has to be a horribly blurry mess? It's like someone applied a filter in purpose with that encode D: unwatchable...
I was wondering if I was the only one noticing that :(

I checked Shouta's encode just to make sure if it wasn't me being paranoid :lol :lol

EDIT: or, wtv encode the RAW that Shouta's group used, to be more precise.

duckroll

I talked about this way back when it started. I believe that no matter who is airing Birdy, it's an upscale and not a particularly great one. rykomatsu's the only one who claims to have seen a non-upscaled encode, but I dunno if he just can't tell. The IQ is really really poor for the show regardless of what you get, so I just get the smallest SD raws these days. Makes no difference anyway. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom