• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

A lot of conversation has gone on in the last few days about some new "Cease and Desist" orders sent out to fansubbing groups regarding some prominent series and FUNimation is attempting to get in front of the issue a bit with a new statement released this morning:

"We can confirm that FUNimation Entertainment has obtained has obtained an agreement authorizing FUNimation to act on behalf of d-rights and Enoki Films, Ltd. to prevent infringement on specific titles.

The authorization agreement for d-rights is for 5 series in total:

Monochrome Factor

Nabari no Ou

Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn

Bamboo Blade

El Cazador de la Bruja

We also have an authorization agreement for Enoki Films Ltd for Slayers Revolution.

Though these series have not been licensed to a local distributor in North America, it is important to note that the rights owned by Japanese producers are still applicable, and enforceable, worldwide.

Industry watchers and anime fans have long known our stance on the unauthorized distribution of anime, especially prior to localization. The practices of illegal downloads and 'fansubbing' are very harmful to our Japanese partners and as part of the longstanding relationship between FUNimation and d-rights and Enoki Films, we have been asked to monitor and take action against unauthorized distribution of these titles. Because we believe that this will benefit the industry, we have agreed to do so."

http://www.mania.com/funimation-talks-cease-desists_article_86894.html

Dead

well not really...yet
qcf x2 said:
What is that?
Did you not see the words in the URL?

Perhaps you missed the title being prominently flashed in the trailer...in English.

Come on...

qcf x2

Michikoto Hatchin is English? What are you retardumb? I wanted info on it beyond what was shown, obviously. Thanks for playing.

Lain

Cloudy said:
LMAO @ Itazura no Kiss 18. This show is pretty funny. Irie is such a jackass :lol

I stopped watching that after the 6th episode because the formula was boring me.
Did it change somewhat or it's still dumb girl keeps being dumb trying to make cold guy love her?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lain said:
I stopped watching that after the 6th episode because the formula was boring me.
Did it change somewhat or it's still dumb girl keeps being dumb trying to make cold guy love her?

They finally got married. Jackarse is still a jackarse. Now there's another nice guy going for her. Love triangle ensues.

duckroll

qcf x2 said:
Michikoto Hatchin is English? What are you retardumb? I wanted info on it beyond what was shown, obviously. Thanks for playing.

Okay, no need for the insults. It's an action series about two girls on the road with guns like Noir/Madlax/ElCarzador except without the shittiness of Bee Train. It's animated by Manglobe (Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy) and starts airing in October.

Okay, retardumb is pretty funny. :p

Dina

Hey Noir was good. And the first few eps of ElCazasomething were also pretty decent. Then there's the Beetrain music.

duckroll

HELLSING OVA Vol5 Comiket trailer: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UWkX2qDxPSw

24th Oct 2008! Release date!!!!! Hope it doesn't get delayed (lol!!!). The series is now by Madhouse, but it looks like most of the staff is retained, most importantly the character designer/animation director. Here's the staff for Vol5 from the Geneon press notes:

Director: Hiroyuki Tanaka
Character Designer/Overall Animation Director: Ryoji Nakamori
Storyboard: Hisashi Abe
Script: Hideyuki Kurata
Animation: Madhouse

Shirokun

Tamanon said:
Woot Woot! Hopefully that means a quick release for Slayers:D

Sadly, it doesn't really mean anything at this point. Funimation is simply enforcing Enoki's rights in the US. They do not actually have the licence to the show. Hopefully there will be an announcement soon, but in the mean time, this just means no fansubbed Slayers.

momolicious said:
Is Macross frontier good?

The more spectacular stuff was early on, but I still think it has been pretty entertaining. Others disagree apparently, so your mileage will vary no doubt. Just watch the first few episodes and see what you think.

duckroll said:

24th Oct 2008! Release date!!!!! Hope it doesn't get delayed (lol!!!). The series is now by Madhouse, but it looks like most of the staff is retained, most importantly the character designer/animation director. Here's the staff for Vol5 from the Geneon press notes:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif

The 4th vol. comes out in September too in NA. It's going to be a good few months for Hellsing fans. :D

Dina

I still think Frontier is a pretty good series. Sheryl and Alto work well together, Ranka shows more promise every week and Michael is a good side-character. The action is solid and the story really not that bad. Especially for a romcom space mecha series.

Been watching Nabari no Ou lately...

I hate it. It's a damned SHINOBI show, right? So why is there no fighting, death, actiony, stealth, shinobi shit in it? In every episode after the first few, all I've seen is yap yap yakkity fuckyap and 2 minutes of action.

I'm all for good dialogue and drama but the drama is sappy and the characters make horrendous decisions. Who has heard of a shinobi that doesn't kill? That's retarded. And I think the main character may be slightly gay... I don't know. Maybe I was looking too far into it.

Gah. I'm at episode 13 but I think I'm going to quit. It started out great though...

Cloudy

Banned
Lain said:

It's hilarious. Keep watching :D

mAcOdIn

BlackGoku03 said:
Nabari hate
I dropped it. Everyone sucks but the samurai chick but even she can't save the show. Seems like it was a good time to drop it as well since Funimation sent out cease and desist notices to the fansubbers.

Oh and Itazura na Kiss does rock.

mAcOdIn said:
I dropped it. Everyone sucks but the samurai chick but even she can't save the show. Seems like it was a good time to drop it as well since Funimation sent out cease and desist notices to the fansubbers.
Yeah, I was just reading about it. It's funny... they're doing it on behalf of another company right?

mAcOdIn

BlackGoku03 said:
Yeah, I was just reading about it. It's funny... they're doing it on behalf of another company right?
Seems like a weird agreement if you ask me unless they've entered into some kind of licensing agreement, not necessarily for the shows listed but I can't see Funimation just singling that company out for the good of the industry or some shit.

Edit: That said, if Bamboo Blade gets a US release I'm so there.

Decado

duckroll said:

Sooooooo slow. I'd forgotten about this OVA series.

Dascu

duckroll said:

Finally! The Berserk manga is going to be finished before this OVA series is done.

Dascu

duckroll said:
Why do you say hurtful things. ;_;
They can start on the Berserk OVA series after they finish up Hellsing. That way, even our grandchildren can enjoy the adventures of Guts & Co.

Grzi

anyone watch blassreiter? i know it's a spring show, but it's still airing, right ;P

anyway, a great show, gonzo have totally redeemed themselves for all the shitty shows they did.

Dascu said:
They can start on the Berserk OVA series after they finish up Hellsing. That way, even our grandchildren can enjoy the adventures of Guts & Co.

I've caught up to chapter 30, and although we have 20 years of material... not really that much has happened.

I used to think the comic was too violent, starting from the Eclipse through the rebirth arc, but after volume 20 (or somewhere around there) it toned down the violence considerably, focusing more on character development. Also, Guts in the last ten volumes has been a pretty good guy, actually doing some nice stuff from time to time. I totally think they could continue the show if they wanted to.

Fireblend

Banned
Grzi said:
anyone watch blassreiter? i know it's a spring show, but it's still airing, right ;P

anyway, a great show, gonzo have totally redeemed themselves for all the shitty shows they did.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Defuser

Fireblend said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
I bet you only watch the first episode and judge it immediate.This show is underrated. It's not a bad show.

zoku88 said:
Gonzo can make great shows :mad:

I wouldn't really call blassreiter one of them... it kinda bored me on the fourth or so episode...
It pick around episode 8/9/10 when nearly all the XAT team dies or become amalgram. From there it's mostly all action action action plus some flashbacks.

Grzi

the show is really good. the first episode wasn't great but the show keeps getting better and better. it's not a masterpiece but it deserves way more attention than it's getting.

besides gonzo can make good shows, they made 2 series that are better than 95% anime shows in the last 10 years or so (last exile and gankutsuou), plus some other nice series (samurai 7, fmp, welcome to the nhk, basilisk...).

rykomatsu

Grzi said:
the show is really good. the first episode wasn't great but the show keeps getting better and better. it's not a masterpiece but it deserves way more attention than it's getting.

besides gonzo can make good shows, they made 2 series that are better than 95% anime shows in the last 10 years or so (last exile and gankutsuou), plus some other nice series (samurai 7, fmp, welcome to the nhk, basilisk...).

uh...i watched up to the point where itou shizuka (i don't remember her char name...sad huh)'s "brother" receives the mark of the beast for lack of a better term and slaughters his classmates but didn't really think it was that great.

The only good series Gonzo produced on their own, I think(?), rather than a collaboration like NHK, was Kaleido Star Season 1...rest have been...meh :(...and that was what..5 years ago?

Lain

Did my catchup on Itazura na Kiss. It did improve, some funny drama. But to my disappointment, the formula of back and forth between "I love him even if he is an asshole/I don't love him anymore because he is an asshole" hasn't changed one bit.

duckroll

Birdy ep8 was pretty awesome. I didn't expect the plot to move forward this fast, especially with another season on the way. I want the next ep now! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom