• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

rykomatsu said:
I like how Wakamoto gets into his roles a lot compared to the majority of VA's out there. Him, Inoue Kazuhiko, and Ootsuka Houchu are probably the 3 VA's I enjoy listening to over the majority of female VA's out there.

Holy crap...i seriously didn't expect Ootsuka Houchu to be casted for a role in Birdy...man...ep 5...Wakamoto + Ootsuka = dream VA casting for me. That in and of itself made 5 stellar :p

mAcOdIn said:
You and rykomatsu catch episode 4 yet? Shana cosplay joke! I hope they start making fun of lots of different shows.

yeah...as much as shana was kinda meh, it was a good parody considering Shana's personality was a polar opposite from Hecate (same VA as Haruka). Enjoying this series a lot even though the fan service is a little over the top....obviously not as bad as rosa+vamp, but still pretty bad lol.

Hellsing321 said:
Is there a reason no one is subbing episodes of Bridy?

I thought that Shouta guy was subbing it...and he just moved to Japan I think. Seems like a lot of subs are taking their merry time coming out now, atleast according to a couple of forums.

mAcOdIn

Is the same studio doing Rosario + Vampire again? I like the manga but the show was pretty weak, it had some good moments but over all was way worse than the manga, and well it was aimed at such low children I have to watch it with the door closed else someone find out I was watching something that lame.

Akia

I know I keep on asking this question but:

Are there any awesome action/shonen anime that have came out recently? Or any really, really good anime (something no one should miss) of any genre?

Last I remember the Spring season of Gurren Lagaan, Claymore and Darker than Black was the last good one.

duckroll

Izubuchi really delivered in the script for ep5 of Birdy. So much more amibitous and interesting than the previous eps. I hope he writes a few more eps before the end. We're back to earth next week, which should be interesting. More Maaya next week! Yaaaaay! :D

Fireblend

Banned
Akia said:

Are there any awesome action/shonen anime that have came out recently? Or any really, really good anime (something no one should miss) of any genre?

Last I remember the Spring season of Gurren Lagaan, Claymore and Darker than Black was the last good one.
Baccano! from last year. This year, I guess Birdy, Kaiba, The Daughter of 20 Faces and Kurenai have been the highlight.

Shouta

Hitokage said:
Shouta never finishes any show he starts, and I dare him to prove me wrong! (Dragonaut doesn't count.)

Hito is a whorez.

No regular internet means no access to downloading though. I'll have it back later this week though.

zoku88

Akia said:

Did you watch Kurenai? or Chiko?

Have you started watching the latest Slayers series?

rykomatsu said:
yeah...as much as shana was kinda meh, it was a good parody considering Shana's personality was a polar opposite from Hecate (same VA as Haruka). Enjoying this series a lot even though the fan service is a little over the top....obviously not as bad as rosa+vamp, but still pretty bad lol.
Boo to the Shana diss! 1/2 of Season 2 aside I still will give future seasons a chance.

As for this show it's.... okay. I don't relate to the characters at all and it's loaded with but it's enjoyable and light I suppose, I'll probably continue watching. The "Otaku hate" from the class mates is WAAAAAY over the top though. :lol

I just watched the first two episodes of Kaiba. It's such a strange show. The animation style is very old and almost jouvenile but it takes itself very seriously. It's almost freaky in a way.

Cloudy

Banned
MarkMan said:
Macross Frontier is NICE... Ep 17 had me OMG WTF flashback to OG Macross almost lol.

The show is mediocre at best IMO. I like it but it's not as impressive as I expected it to be..

mAcOdIn

Cloudy said:
The show is mediocre at best IMO. I like it but it's not as impressive as I expected it to be..
Yeah, a beam that would have destroyed the whole bridge of the Macross Quarter is easily absorbed by the rear of his Veritech. Edit: Besides, how the fuck does he get shot through his fighter and pressure suit and make it back ok?

I want to like the show, but fuck is it making it hard, of course even the first Macross was silly in that regard as the main character got shot down more than anyone and yet never died.

zoku88

MarkMan said:
Macross Frontier is NICE... Ep 17 had me OMG WTF flashback to OG Macross almost lol.
I was thinking:
I can't believe they're killing a big brother character like this again
:lol :lol

Arde5643

If Natsume Youjinchou follows the manga, it's actually more of a slice-of-life manga with deep supernatural lore and Taoist/Confucionist or Zen style morality.

It's definitely a niche genre, although I like some deep stuffs at times - imagine Kino's Journey but set in real actual modern times with supernatural apparitions replacing the countries she goes into.

The main focus is on the guy's relationship and meetings with the apparitions whose names are stolen by his mother, while the cat remains in the background not unlike the motorade in Kino's Journey.

Not the best analogy, but close enough.

duckroll

Dascu said:
Is someone still subbing Birdy the Mighty Decode? I haven't found any subs for episodes 3 and 4 yet.

No idea what's going on with that, but you're all missing out. Ep5 was pretty awesome. I love the art direction and backgrounds in ep4 and 5.

BlackGoku03 said:
I just watched the first two episodes of Kaiba. It's such a strange show. The animation style is very old and almost jouvenile but it takes itself very seriously. It's almost freaky in a way.

Old, yet juvenile? Hardly. It's essentially the clean-lined surrealism of Woodring or Trodheim (ALIEEN, specifically) filtered through Juxtapoz-esque aesthetics.

But it was strange in that I never would've expected such a thing from Yuasa, who, while always flirting with surrealism did it through a sketchy, line-excessive 'realism'.

7Th

Zeouterlimits said:
Am I the only one watching Natsu no Sora?
I really like it, but no one else has given it a chance.

Me and clockradiospeakers were praising it a while ago. Easily my favorite show of the season. Kobayashi is awesome. <3

Zeouterlimits said:
Am I the only one watching Natsu no Sora?
I really like it, but no one else has given it a chance.

Certainly not! Aside from Kaiba, it's the only show I'm really liking this year. 7Th hyped it a bit a few pages back, and Kobayashi's involvement hooked me. The background animation (edited photos, I think) is especially nice.

clockradiospeakers said:
Certainly not! Aside from Kaiba, it's the only show I'm really liking this year. 7Th hyped it a bit a few pages back, and Kobayashi's involvement hooked me. The background animation (edited photos, I think) is especially nice.

7Th said:
Me and clockradiospeakers were praising it a while ago. Easily my favorite show of the season. Kobayashi is awesome. <3

*high-fives* W00t for awesome people enjoying awesomeness :D

jman2050

So I stared watching Code Geass to see what all the fuss was about.

Holy crap. :lol

They basically took every bad anime cliche and genre and mashed it together into some sort of unrepentantly absurd mish-mash of crazy characters, mindless action, and plot twists that would make Death Note blush. Speaking of which, the Death Note comparisons are apt. Lelouch tries to be epic and grandiose like Light but is so totally inept and misguided that I swore he was supposed to be a parody of the character. Suzaku was probably conceived by copy-pasting this TvTropes entry and handing it to the production staff. I only finished the first series so far, and those last 4 episodes were some of the most absurd I've ever seen. It's like a trainwreck.

It's also simultaneously the best and worst thing I've seen this year. And I can't stop watching it :lol

So yeah, the hate is completely justified, I just don't really care in this case.

clockradiospeakers said:
Old, yet juvenile? Hardly. It's essentially the clean-lined surrealism of Woodring or Trodheim (ALIEEN, specifically) filtered through Juxtapoz-esque aesthetics.

But it was strange in that I never would've expected such a thing from Yuasa, who, while always flirting with surrealism did it through a sketchy, line-excessive 'realism'.
I say the animation style reminds me of older anime from the 70s. Also the charcter design and costumes of the characters in the series are childish. That's what I mean. Seeing these characters and colors in a story that is very mature and sad at times is strange and is almost freaky in a way. I'm not used to seeing it.

7Th

It's finally out! :D

k3viip.jpg

Jason

Nope...didn't know a subbed version was out. :) Only movie I've seen lately was Ponyo. Anyone who remotely enjoys Yotsubato will probably eat it up. :D

Basch

Why does GAF hate Code Geass? It's not even popular yet. Couldn't you guys have waited? :lol Too much pride floating around this thread. Plus, fan-subs are terrible. After seeing Bandai's translation of Gurren Lagann, I can't go back.

Two things GAF has taught me...

1) Any anime GAF sh!ts on and calls one of the worst is likely one of the best.
2) Any anime that is highly praised by GAF is warranted, but often can be passed as a shadow of #1.

zoku88

You don't think Code Geass is popular? It has lots of fans :-/

I still say that it gets horrible about episode 12 or so of the first season

7Th

Just finished "A Country Doctor". Loved it. Not only has it really nailed Kafka's surreal, depressingly introspective yet ultimately sarcastic atmosphere, the animation is wonderful. It brilliantly plays with timing, lighting and, most remarkably, angles creating some explosive and powerful imagery. The theatrical narration and delivery was ace, too.

Tamanon

Banned
zoku88 said:
You don't think Code Geass is popular? It has lots of fans :-/

I still say that it gets horrible about episode 12 or so of the first season

Bah, they're on episode 15 or so on Geass in the states and it's going strong. I particularly enjoy crazy
Mao

Basch said:
Why does GAF hate Code Geass? It's not even popular yet. Couldn't you guys have waited? :lol Too much pride floating around this thread. Plus, fan-subs are terrible. After seeing Bandai's translation of Gurren Lagann, I can't go back.

Two things GAF has taught me...

1) Any anime GAF sh!ts on and calls one of the worst is likely one of the best.
2) Any anime that is highly praised by GAF is warranted, but often can be passed as a shadow of #1.
Wait are you saying that Code Geass is better then Gurren Lagann?

Dina

Watched the first four episodes of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, subbed by BakaWolf.

Very cliché romantic comedy serie about a girl who is an Akiba-kei but ashamed of it. Boy accepts her for what she is and likes and they start to fall in love. Girl is also rich and good at pretty much everything. Add maids, an annoying little sister, an oversexed, mostly drunk teacher and you got every ingredient of something easily forgotten. Oh and they also make some sort of a promise during their free summer.

But it's actually quite charming and unlike most harem-animes, the boy ends up with the girl immediately. I'll keep watching it and hope that it turns out better though, cause it could use some unique twist.

Dina

Hitokage said:
Oh My Goddess says hi.

I know and there are other animes where the boy ends up with he girl as well, but it's something you don't see that often. NHnH is basically what you expect of it, which is both its strength or its weakness, depending what you think (and know) of the genre.

7Th

Gurren-Lagann has a few somewhat weak episodes, not weak entire arcs. As a whole, it’s especially strong and re-watchable.

Anyway, the Michiko and Hatchin official site has been updated with character sketches, staff and a story summary.

http://www.michikotohatchin.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom