• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

duckroll said:
I talked about this way back when it started. I believe that no matter who is airing Birdy, it's an upscale and not a particularly great one. rykomatsu's the only one who claims to have seen a non-upscaled encode, but I dunno if he just can't tell. The IQ is really really poor for the show regardless of what you get, so I just get the smallest SD raws these days. Makes no difference anyway. :lol

I rewatched the OP sequence for BS11/ANIMAX that was released for ep1 and TVK for ep4 and there's a substantial quality difference between the 2...i suppose it might be due to whoever was encoding it, but here are 2 screens...hindsight being 20/20, i think the BS11 version is just upscaled very well...the kanji aren't as resolved as they are in a true HD production...

edit: both files were encoded at 1280x720...neither were resized in any way....

BS11
bs11_birdy.jpg

D-tvk
tvk_birdy-1.jpg

duckroll

rykomatsu said:
I rewatched the OP sequence for BS11/ANIMAX that was released for ep1 and TVK for ep4 and there's a substantial quality difference between the 2...i suppose it might be due to whoever was encoding it, but here are 2 screens...hindsight being 20/20, i think the BS11 version is just upscaled very well...the kanji aren't as resolved as they are in a true HD production...

Yeah, there's a huge quality difference when it's a good encoder with a HD channel source, but what really bugged me is that aside from the lack of clarity in the text, the overall animation and motion is simply not as sharp as it should be. Like others have mentioned, the show really just looks blurry most of the time and it's pretty annoying because it doesn't look like it's supposed to be like that. x_X

rykomatsu

duckroll said:
Yeah, there's a huge quality difference when it's a good encoder with a HD channel source, but what really bugged me is that aside from the lack of clarity in the text, the overall animation and motion is simply not as sharp as it should be. Like others have mentioned, the show really just looks blurry most of the time and it's pretty annoying because it doesn't look like it's supposed to be like that. x_X

Well, even with a mediocre encoding, it's possible to apply filters on the fly to bump up the IQ a bit (deblocking+sharpening+resize etc). I generally futz around with them when i download something to see if it improves or worsens the image quality...i can't apply any deblocking filters in ffdshow for the d-tvk encodes without my computer choking...and my systems aren't slouches either...

E8400 in my HTPC
Phenom 9500 in my workstation

completely brings both of them down to their knees...
(btw, no filters on either one of them)

i don't remember which raw i downloaded but the d-tvk encoding seems to be more saturated than before...

Dascu

I'm waiting for Shouta's group to sub Birdy. It's a shame that some anime series barely get any subbing support while others are overflowing with subgroups.

vas_a_morir said:
I'm reading Berserk Manga right now, I'm up to Volume 18.

Volume 18 spoilers
Farneze is a totally great character. Whenever somebody is getting tortured, she starts sweating and has a bit of a weird look on her face. Am I to take it she is getting sexually aroused by this kind of stuff?
Yes.

Deadly

I know there's alot of Geass haters at GAF but.. damn did anyone just watch the latest episode? shit just hit the fan here, and we got some unbelievably overpowered entertainment =P:lol

Deadly said:
I know there's alot of Geass haters at GAF but.. damn did anyone just watch the latest episode? shit just hit the fan here, and we got some unbelievably overpowered entertainment =P:lol
Yeah... looks like Lelouch's power came back to bite him in the ass.
Wonder if he'll kill Rolo next episode or not... or if Rolo will realize he's being used and try to kill Lelouch instead.

And damn... just watched ep 8 of Gurren Lagann and
Kamina dies?! What the hell... he's the best character of the show... I don't even want to watch it anymore with the best character dead. He may have not of been the main character but what the hell man...

Shouta

Fireblend said:
Why does my only option to watch Birdy has to be a horribly blurry mess? It's like someone applied a filter in purpose with that encode D: unwatchable...

I heard that the folks doing the show in my current absence (which will probably be remedied after I get back from Tokyo was doing some super shit encodes. :lol

Fireblend

Banned
Shouta said:
I heard that the folks doing the show in my current absence (which will probably be remedied after I get back from Tokyo was doing some super shit encodes. :lol
That's not all, they use "allot" instead of "A lot"... around 4 times in one episode, and randomly capitalize non-relevant words. D: please, I beg of you, don't let them be my only option. I'll wait as long as it takes.

rykomatsu

Shouta said:

i thought that was pretty obvious from the screenshots i posted...or that atleast SOMEONE was doing some pretty shitty encodes :p

Shouta

Fireblend said:
That's not all, they use "allot" instead of "A lot"... around 4 times in one episode, and randomly capitalize non-relevant words. D: please, I beg of you, don't let them be my only option. I'll wait as long as it takes.

I'll have it out sooner or later. I have 3 waiting to be encoded on my comp and Ih ave eps 4 and 5 ready to be translated when I get some time.

LowParry

Hrm. Debating which anime to watch next. I'm still following Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 weekly which has been fun. Recently I just finished watching Rozen Maiden. Any current animes to follow this year that are good?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BlackGoku03 said:
And damn... just watched ep 8 of Gurren Lagann and
Kamina dies?! What the hell... he's the best character of the show... I don't even want to watch it anymore with the best character dead. He may have not of been the main character but what the hell man...
Give it a few eps, it'll recover. From then to the time skip it's all excellent.

mAcOdIn

CcrooK said:
Hrm. Debating which anime to watch next. I'm still following Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 weekly which has been fun. Recently I just finished watching Rozen Maiden. Any current animes to follow this year that are good?
Telepathy Shoujo Ran, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Itazura na Kiss, Mahou​ Tsukai​ ni​ Taisetsu​ na​ Koto​ -​ Natsu​ no​ Sora, Natsume​ Yuujinchou, Bleach... err wait how'd that last one get on there? Anyways all the others are fucking awesome.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hitokage said:
Give it a few eps, it'll recover. From then to the time skip it's all excellent.

Yeah, and even more so, 40% of entire budget is invested in last 6 episodes. Insane hand drawn animation.

duckroll

Birdy continues to be entertaining. I'm glad it's been renewed for another season, because they have all sort of awesome storylines going on atm. :D

zoku88

Neo C. said:
The reunion is so cute. Can't watch it enough.
I don't even remember that scene, lol. I can really only remember the part where tomoe freaks out the aunt

duckroll said:
Birdy continues to be entertaining. I'm glad it's been renewed for another season, because they have all sort of awesome storylines going on atm. :D
I kinda wished they waited until the series was over before announcing a sequel >.>

duckroll

Defuser said:
Yeah I know but they're asking for cash up to 200k is lulz.

Eventually someone will decide to force them to take it to court, and then the real lulz will begin. Odex didn't even get that far, and it already cost them their balls. I haven't seen a new Odex release on the shelves for months now. :lol

bloke

Ok, Detroit Metal City is funniest thing I've seen since...since, I don't remember :lol , anyway everyone must watch it....and I suck for not checking DMC manga before!

bloke said:
Ok, Detroit Metal City is funniest thing I've seen since...since, I don't remember :lol , anyway everyone must watch it....and I suck for not checking DMC manga before!

Yeah, I wish it was a series and not just, what seems to be, a special or something.

Fireblend

Banned
rykomatsu said:
really?
it was pretty ridiculous and stupid this week compared to last...imho
Agreed, but it's not like I expect any more from Code Geass. Can't help to wonder how they could possibly come up with something any more ridiculous than the overall situation this episode left everything at. Can't wait for the trainwreck to finish :lol

Oh and DMC is awesome indeed; can't wait for the whole thing to be subbed. Since the special got released I have read a couple of chapters from the manga and can't wait to see them animated. Laughed through most of it. :D

Busaiku

I just saw Detroit Metal City myself, it is indeed hilarious.
Kinda reminds me of something like Metalocalypse and Cromartie.

7Th

I wonder if you guys ever watched Gag Manga Biyori, DMC has very similar joke-building and animation.

rykomatsu

Fireblend said:
Agreed, but it's not like I expect any more from Code Geass. Can't help to wonder how they could possibly come up with something any more ridiculous than the overall situation this episode left everything at. Can't wait for the trainwreck to finish :lol

lol
reading 2ch, it seems like Ougi, in the span of 1 ep, went from being mediocrily liked overall, to the most despised character...whereas Rolo went from being one of the most despised to reasonably liked character in the same timespan

Deadly

rykomatsu said:
lol
reading 2ch, it seems like Ougi, in the span of 1 ep, went from being mediocrily liked overall, to the most despised character...whereas Rolo went from being one of the most despised to reasonably liked character in the same timespan

Hahha, this is oh so sadly true.
I mean Ougi didn't even have to rejoin Zero when he was saved at the start from R2, he still knew there was some wacky stuff going on.
. Rolo is still a big meh, I only enjoyed the song during his scenes in this episode. I don't see how this episode was amazing, it's going in all sorts of directions :lol .

rykomatsu

Deadly said:
Hahha, this is oh so sadly true.
I mean Ougi didn't even have to rejoin Zero when he was saved at the start from R2, he still knew there was some wacky stuff going on.
. Rolo is still a big meh, I only enjoyed the song during his scenes in this episode. I don't see how this episode was amazing, it's going in all sorts of directions :lol .

I thought this was pure gold for next week's predictions, lol:

Ougi: Zero was a scam artist!
Xingke: How'd you come to that conclusion?
Ougi: That's what Schneizel and Cornelia said.
Xingke: Huh?

Ougi: He was caught admitting it on tape. There's no mistake!
Xingke: Who's voice was it?
Ougi: That, I don't know
Xingke: What?

Xingke: So how did you know that Zero was Lelouch from the recording?
Ougi: Because Schneizel said so...

Xingke: Assuming that voice was even Zero, who was he talking to?
Ougi: Suzaku. You know, the guy Knight of Rounds guy
Xingke: Huh?

Ougi: But Chigusa said she was geassed too
Xingke: Who's Chigusa?
Ougi: My Brittanian wife

Code Geass 19 was just so :lol :lol :lol

I especially loved
Nina freaking out over killing ten million people with her bomb when she was screaming at Suzaku to use it last episode. She made the freaking thing and she didn't realize what would happen when they used it?
:lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hellsing321 said:
Code Geass 19 was just so :lol :lol :lol

I especially loved
Nina freaking out over killing ten million people with her bomb when she was screaming at Suzaku to use it last episode. She made the freaking thing and she didn't realize what would happen when they used it?
:lol

I think Lelouch is gonna end up as the good guy after all.... >_>

rykomatsu

Tamanon said:
I dunno, I think by the end of things there won't be a good guy at all.:p

i kinda saw Todo as the "good guy" this entire time but now...? i thought he, out of all the characters, would have kept a cool head...

Hitokage said:

This man is correct. I just finished it up yesterday, and it was great. I was a little disappointed in one of the aspects of the ending, but that's a personal issue, so I don't factor it in. It really is a great series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom