• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Gamespot thread.... Why have they swept the PSP delay under the rug?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
otheranthony-ns said:
Gatsu I'm still waiting for Kassivin's answer as to why the PSP delay news is nowhere to be found on their site. That isnt big news or anything right?

If anything, if we can get anything out of this post, it's that I got a few more forum goer's to keep their eyes open. When State of Emergency 2 or Jak5:redux get 9+ scores you'll remember this thread hopefully. *teardrop*

Yes because even crappy PS2 games get scored well at Gamespot:

Way of the Samurai 2 6.3
World Tour Soccer 2005(first party PS2 title) 5.4
Cy Girls 5.1

Catwoman, Driver3....The list goes on....

Did you have a point?

Here's a suggestion... stick to that their might be a pro-PSP, anti-DS bias... DON'T try to say there's a Sony bias at Gamespot... then you just make yourself look foolish.

DarienA said:
Yes because even crappy PS2 games get scored well at Gamespot:

Way of the Samurai 2 6.3
World Tour Soccer 2005(first party PS2 title) 5.4
Cy Girls 5.1

Catwoman, Driver3....The list goes on....

You must be kidding.

otheranthony-ns said:
Who said they have a Nintendo bias? I didn't. Do they have a DS bias? You better believe it. If there was no PSP it would be another story. Stop trying to pick apart my posts, you're going in circles.

Maybe if you stopped frothing at the mouth for a second, you realise his point is that other than your claims that Gamespot has a DS bias, the only proof you have offered of this is that they didn't report a rumour of a PSP delay. Nevermind that it's quite telling that in your view, not reporting a rumour that is bad for the PSP, makes them biased against the DS, but you have been challenged on your claim by a number of people who counter by saying that Gamespot actually covers the DS on par or even more than most other sites. You have yet to respond to these claims, which going by your reasoning means that they are right and you are wrong.

So you were being challenged to provide tangable proof, directly related to the DS (not the DS, by proxy of the PSP), that supports your claim that GS is biased against it.

Gattsu25

Banned
otheranthony-ns said:
You must be kidding.

You being the first person to say this in the thread made me laugh :) bravo!

Also, the name has two 't's :b

Die Squirrel Die said:
Maybe if you stopped frothing at the mouth for a second, you realise his point is that other than your claims that Gamespot has a DS bias, the only proof you have offered of this is that they didn't report a rumour of a PSP delay. Nevermind that it's quite telling that in your view, not reporting a rumour that is bad for the PSP, makes them biased against the DS, but you have been challenged on your claim by a number of people who counter by saying that Gamespot actually covers the DS on par or even more than most other sites. You have yet to respond to these claims, which going by your reasoning means that they are right and you are wrong.

So you were being challenged to provide tangable proof, directly related to the DS (not the DS, by proxy of the PSP), that supports your claim that GS is biased against it.

Thank you.

DarienA

otheranthony-ns said:
You must be kidding.

You brought up State of Emergency 2 and Jak as if to say all PS2 titles even crappy ones score well... I gave you 3 crappy titles that didn't score well... you need more? ok. here's a full list of the PS2 titles that did not score well above 6.5 in the last 6 months.

Athens 2004 6.5
Catwoman 6.3
Way of the Samurai 2 6.3
World Tour Soccer 2005 5.4
Ribbit King 5.9
DRIV3R 5.4
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling 6.5
McFarlane's Evil Prophecy 6.2
Malice 5.0
Strike Force Bowling 5.2
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain 6.5
Future Tactics: The Uprising 6.4
UFC: Sudden Impact 6.0
Serious Sam: Next Encounter 6.5
Alias 6.3
Trivial Pursuit Unhinged 4.7
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Mayhem 5.6
Destruction Derby Arenas 6.2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm 6.3
Cy Girls 5.1
Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku 5.2
Seven Samurai 20XX 6.3
Corvette 4
LifeLine 6.5

Most of the games on that last were pretty much judged crap at multiple sides... and SOME of these titles were even initially hyped by said sites....

Stick to the anti-DS, pro-PSP line of argument... not the anti-Nintendo, pro-Sony line... you might have more life with this line of.... reasoning.

Die Squirrel Die said:

Where was the DS coverage at E3? It wasnt on the front page that's for sure. Instead we were treated to wall to wall links to previews of Death Jr. Hell even the poll for most of E3 was about the PSP.

It was PSP mania, and it was that way for weeks after. DS was nowhere to be found and still is.

There has been a lot of negative news concerning the PSP, the first delay, Square and other devs saying they really arent interested in it. And it has all magically skipped over Gamespot.

Gattsu25

Banned
otheranthony-ns said:
Where was the DS coverage at E3? It wasnt on the front page that's for sure. Instead we were treated to wall to wall links to previews of Death Jr. Hell even the poll for most of E3 was about the PSP.

It was PSP mania, and it was that way for weeks after. DS was nowhere to be found and still is.

There has been a lot of negative news concerning the PSP, the first delay, Square and other devs saying they really arent interested in it. And it has all magically skipped over Gamespot.

lack of DS coverage? provide us wth links supporting that claim. Abundance of Death Jr. coverage during E3? links to support your claim. Strong PSP coverage and weak DS coverage for weeks after E3? links. Lack of negative PSP news? links

You are the ones making the claims, you are the one accusing gamespot. the burden of proof is on you

DarienA said:
You brought up State of Emergency 2 and Jak as if to say all PS2 titles even crappy ones score well... I gave you 3 crappy titles that didn't score well... you need more? ok. here's a full list of the PS2 titles that did not score well above 6.5 in the last 6 months.

Athens 2004 6.5
Catwoman 6.3
Way of the Samurai 2 6.3
World Tour Soccer 2005 5.4
Ribbit King 5.9
DRIV3R 5.4
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling 6.5
McFarlane's Evil Prophecy 6.2
Malice 5.0
Strike Force Bowling 5.2
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain 6.5
Future Tactics: The Uprising 6.4
UFC: Sudden Impact 6.0
Serious Sam: Next Encounter 6.5
Alias 6.3
Trivial Pursuit Unhinged 4.7
Scooby-Doo! Mystery Mayhem 5.6
Destruction Derby Arenas 6.2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm 6.3
Cy Girls 5.1
Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku 5.2
Seven Samurai 20XX 6.3
Corvette 4
LifeLine 6.5

Most of the games on that last were pretty much judged crap at multiple sides... and SOME of these titles were even initially hyped by said sites....

Do you have a point? Did I suggest that Gamespot gives only 7+ scores to PS2 games? Do you really think Gamespot would give big scores to throw away titles everyone else has already panned or ignored?

Let me ask you this, why was there 2 frontpage annoucements in 1 week's time of Doom 3 for the Xbox not making it out till 2005? One was for the rumor, which they promised to follow up on, and the other was confirmation that in fact the game had been delayed.

IGN on the other hand reported that Killzone and GT4 might not make it out this year. DId Gamespot reference this at all? Was this in 'Bogus or not Bogus'? WHy didn't they follow up on the rumors? Tor Thorsen is up to the task I'm sure. Nope it was swept under the rug.

When DMC3 was delayed to 2005, where was the annoucement on the frontpage? It's nonexistant.

Insertia

otheranthony-ns said:
No kidding. Gamespot is just blatantly onesided. DS is getting shafted on that site. How much you want to bet if that latest Famitsu poll results were in the PSP's favor, it would have made Gamespot's frontpage?

They didn't cover the previous Famitsu poll where retailers favored PSP over DS.

This thread is so f**king stupid.

"Waaah Gamespot is on the PSP hype train and ignoring DS. If they continue DS will be ignored and PSP will be a success! Waaaaah"

fanboys...

Gattsu25

Banned
otheranthony-ns said:
Posted in late June. CNN's report was last week.

Irrelevant

otheranthony-ns said:

Quote function > You.

DarienA

otheranthony-ns said:
Do you have a point? Did I suggest that Gamespot gives only 7+ scores to PS2 games? Do you really think Gamespot would give big scores to throw away titles everyone else has already panned or ignored?
Did you read that last? Not ALL of those titles were throwaways, some of the titles in that list actually had good early previews... it's convenient to not notice that though right?

Let me ask you this, why was there 2 frontpage annoucements in 1 week's time of Doom 3 for the Xbox not making it out till 2005? One was for the rumor, which they promised to follow up on, and the other was confirmation that in fact the game had been delayed.
I don't even know what Gamespot's front page looks like, I always go straight to http://www.gamespot.com/all_updates/index_type.html for my news. Wait I thought this was a DS, PSP thing... and now your bringing Doom 3 in to it? I guess I'm going to have to start reading the gamespot front page... once I find it.

IGN on the other hand reported that Killzone and GT4 might not make it out this year. DId Gamespot reference this at all? Was this in 'Bogus or not Bogus'? WHy didn't they follow up on the rumors? Tor Thorsen is up to the task I'm sure. Nope it was swept under the rug.

When DMC3 was delayed to 2005, where was the annoucement on the frontpage? It's nonexistant.
Ok... here's another one there's a rumor floating that Forza has been delayed to next year... but nobody is reporting that... where does that fall in your conspiracy theory? How often is gamespot running that Bogus Not Bogus article? They don't seem to run it that much. Which I guess leads to the finale question... when in your opinon should rumors be reporting on and when shouldn't they?

Gattsu25

Banned
anthony, just wanted to toss this at you especially since I know you have a huge problem with it.

GTA:SA has been the #1 looked up game before it became a front page item

Gattsu25 said:
anthony, just wanted to toss this at you especially since I know you have a huge problem with it.

GTA:SA has been the #1 looked up game before it became a front page item

They shouldn't cover that game. It's not on a Nintendo system.

DarienA

I feel like my IQ dropped for particpating in this thread... lord knows what I was thinking. Yes there's a conspiracy... there that's over with.

Personally I read IGN and Gamespot because they DON'T always have the exact same articles and news items... countless times I've seen Gamespot report something that IGN didn't and vice versa....

Kon Tiki

Banned
Insertia said:
What does that prove? It's simply an article about publishers commenting on PSP.

I'm reffering to the Famitsu poll several months ago that showed retailers favoring PSP to DS.

This one?

Are you fascinated by the machine?
PSP Nintendo DS
Stores Users Stores Users
Yes 66.7% 58.6% 74.5% 73.6%
No 9.8% 21.8% 11.8% 13.1%
Undecided 23.5% 19.6% 13.7% 13.3%

No wait, maybe this one:

Which do you think will sell most?
Stores Users Famitsu
PSP 23.5% 36.9% 33.3%
Nintendo DS 51.0% 51.9% 41.2%
Undecided 25.5% 11.2% 25.5%

Not that one either.

AniHawk

Insertia said:
What does that prove? It's simply an article about publishers commenting on PSP.

I'm reffering to the Famitsu poll several months ago that showed retailers favoring PSP to DS.

I don't know where that is, but I know a Famitsu one a lot more recent.

You wouldn't like it though.

Gattsu25

Banned
damn...wanted to hear some more from Gerber

Im done with this thread...it's getting too jumbled up and anthony is doing way to much damage control on all the claims he can't back up...how many times has his argument changed? whatever…

So you want them to update every single time a product is rumored to be delayed? You get the idea the first time around, there's a chance X system/game might not make its release.

border

Society said:
Well why didn't they post the 2nd delay story?
Because it is pretty much the exact same story....Paul McNeely of American Technology Research says that PSP may be delayed beyond March 2005. He said it a month and a half ago, and now he continues to say it. Do you want 'em to print it twice just because CNN is rehashing old news? Do you want them to print a new story every time the same analyst says the same thing in a different report?

The real question is why it took CNN 7-8 weeks to pick up on the PSP Delay story. Obviously, they are biased in favor of Sony and/or getting moneyhats from Sony! Gamespot is absolved -- why look at how quickly they jumped on the PSP delay news! Unbeknownst to their biggest critic!

I hope that Red Cloak/DrBill/otheranthony/Daxter Two/whoeverthefuck will continue to update us every other day about the extent of CNN's corruption! Why isn't DS on their front page? Why don't they have a cover story about the new Ngage model? FUCK ARE BIASED!

DarienA

border said:
Because it pretty much the exact same story....Paul McNeely of American Technology Research says that PSP may be delayed beyond March 2005. He said it a month and a half ago, and now he continues to say it. Do you want 'em to print it twice just because CNN is rehashing old news?

The real question is why it took CNN 7-8 weeks to pick up on the PSP Delay story. Obviously, they are biased in favor of Sony and/or getting moneyhats from Sony! Gamespot is absolved -- why look at how quickly they jumped on the PSP delay news! Unbeknownst to their biggest critic!

I hope that Red Cloak/DrBill/otheranthony/Daxter Two/whoeverthefuck will continue to update us every other day about the extent of CNN's corruption! Why isn't DS on their front page? Why don't they have a cover story about the new Ngage model? FUCK ARE BIASED!

Ownage.

Kon Tiki

Banned
border said:
Because it is pretty much the exact same story....Paul McNeely of American Technology Research says that PSP may be delayed beyond March 2005. He said it a month and a half ago, and now he continues to say it. Do you want 'em to print it twice just because CNN is rehashing old news? Do you want them to print a new story every time the same analyst says the same thing in a different report?

It was not Paul McNeely. It was Activision CEO Bobby Kotick. Which would make it 2 different news stories.

I seen lesser news posted on gaming sites.

If I had time I would dig up repeated story on delays on other products/games for comparison.

impirius

Laguna X said:
Where's that Waaaahmbulance pic when you need it?
Whoa duders sorry I'm late

wambulance.jpg

Special Eagles edition

Anyone want to do an AutoSummarize on the thread? I'm lost..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It was not Paul McNeely. It was Activision CEO Bobby Kotick. Which would make it 2 different news stories.
If you read the story behind the link posted here five times already, you will see that it talks about the McNeely pretty much all the way, and also have the [update] amend at the top where McNealy is also mentioned (update might be the infamous "2nd" delay story, btw)

Oh, and this has to be the most pathetic and idiotic thread of the week.

i just read this whole thing and all i have to say is these threads rock! man, i love watching you guys argue over the integrity of a website that reviews videogames. awesome!

Brofist

={<SMOKE>}= said:
i just read this whole thing and all i have to say is these threads rock! man, i love watching you guys argue over the integrity of a website that reviews videogames. awesome!

hehe nothing new here pal...this pales in comparison to game sales debates. my favorite gaming company's games sell more than yours..im teh cool. I'll never understand the mentality.

davis

didn't bother reading whole thread but seriously you will enjoy DS much more if you stop worrying so much about PSP and whatever the heck is going on with it ignore it if your not interested in it.

hirokazu

i can't believe someone can make such a big deal out of a games news site choosing not to report rumour and speculation o_0

not like the DS will magically win by default if they did write about the rumour, so why bother?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
GameSpot gave their past two GOTY awards to Gamecube games. If they're anti-Nintendo, they have an odd way of showing it.

jarrod

Banned
kasavin said:
On the contrary, we're the only major gaming site that actually has a DS platform page (as far as I know).
This needs to be reiterated... wake up IGN! If N-Gage gets it's own section DS should warrant one as well, rather than taking over the GB site (especially since it's not even a GameBoy).

Top Bottom