• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any good MAME/Acade games?

neptunes

noy asking where to get any, I just want to know if there any games you remember playing at the arcade that you reall loved.

Don't mention fighters, I'm taking a break from them for a while.

jenov4

The Combatribes, beat-em-up - it's a blast with 3 players!
Wonderboy Deluxe
New Zealand Story
Galaga 88

Those are on my permanent play list. :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
12.png

13.png

14.png

^^ Guwange

Matlock

Banned
neptunes said:
I actually remember playing that to death on my SNES, I think I've played enough of that game to last me a life-time ;)

Different game altogether: the arcade version was only ported to the Genesis. The SNES had a side-scroller (that is, if memory serves correctly).

FnordChan

Presumably, yes, there are good arcade games. Here are a few personal faves, many of which will show my age:

mQuantum.jpg

Quantum is a particularly wild, particularly rare vector graphics trackball game where you try to capture sub-atomic particles. I'd post pics of the game itself, but what I found online doesn't really do much to show off it's charm, so you get the swank marquee instead.

mDiscs_Of_Tron.jpg

Discs of Tron is best experienced in the arcade, particularly if you can find the huge, blacklit Environmental model. That said, it's still a lot of fun, though I dunno how well MAME can emulate the gameplay, which involves bouncing discs around and trying to knock your opponent off their perch.

mBuster_Bros..jpg

Buster Bros. is a fun little action puzzle game, where big balls (thank you, AC/DC) are falling from the ceiling and you have to blast them on the way down. The catch is that the big balls split into little balls and start bouncing all over the place, with assorted barriers and whatnot in the way to make things interesting. As you can tell, I've completely given up on posting screen shots, in favor of marquee art, but at least this one is a fairly accurate representation of the gameplay.

mThree_Wonders.jpg

Three Wonders isn't entirely accurate, but "Three Pretty Decent Games" just wouldn't sell as well. All three games - a platformer, a shooter, and a puzzler - benefit from nice 2D graphics, which really do help them rise above their station. In particular, Don't Pull is a great Pengo clone.

vXybots.png
xXybots.png

Xybots is a great game with a fairly dull marquee, thus forcing me to actually post screenshots. You run around in a 3D maze and blast things in a manner almost entirely unlike, say, Doom. The two player aspect is a hoot, if perhaps not very practical with MAME.

1051015215.jpg
1054052600.jpg

While looking at the X page of the Killer List Of Videogames, I was reminded that Xevious 3D/G is really nice update of the original.

mPigskin_621_A.D..jpg

And with Pigskin we're back to marquee art. It's a sort of cross between a beat-em-up and football, with much more emphasis on the beating. I have fond memories of pouring quarters into Pigskin with a friend when we were in high-school. Then the bastards at the arcade took it away and replaced it with some other game. What was that...oh, yeah. Street Fighter 2. That's an okay game, but it's no Pigskin.

vArkanoid_-_Revenge_Of_Doh.png
yArkanoid_-_Revenge_Of_Doh.png
xArkanoid_-_Revenge_Of_Doh.png

Not only is Arkanoid - Revenge of Doh the ultimate variation on the Breakout concept, but you can make lots of bad Simpsons jokes while you play. I know, I know, I'm really reaching with that one.

And finally, no discussion of arcade games would be complete without...

vGals_Panic.png
wGals_Panic.png
xGals_Panic.png

Gals Panic. 'Nuff said.

FnordChan

bjork

Guwange makes any method of attaining MAME worthwhile.

Other stuff I've played and liked:
Moonwalker
MERCS
OutRun

In the last set I got, there's a game called Dancing Eyes that's sort of like a 3D Gals Panic... you have to outline boxes on this wifreframe model of clothing, and it disappears as you complete it, and then there's a PSOne-visual looking girl in her underwear. Odd concept, especially since it's Namco produced.

cs060mk2

If you like Cabal, try out Blood Brothers its the same game but set in a western theme with awesome graphics and details!

Rodland is a cute and cool platformer. Its fun to.

Combat School is a game I discovered again in Mame, its like the old sportsgames where you tapped the button as fast as you could but a bit different with some action scenes to. When you finish the school the game transforms into an action game...

Shinobi and Shadow dancer. But you probably will need savestates. I didnt manage to kill the final boss of Shinobi, even with savestates :-/

If you can stand playing rotary games with the mouse, try out Heavy Barrel. Its an old Ikari Warrior type clone with awesome music and cool settings.

And as someone mentioned above, Arkanoid, its a great game that I thought would be boring just because it was old but it is very relaxing and fun to play. Makes me want to build an USB spinner :)

eso76

neptunes said:
haha wtf is that?

Not what you're thinking :)
Slap Fight is an old vertical scrolling shoot em up by taito / toaplan. 1986, i think ?
One of the first shmups to feature a ship that could be made bigger by picking and selecting power ups in a gradius fashion.
It had an 'interesting' soundtrack; generally very bright and lively, it tried to be dynamic with changes of pace and with the melody getting dark, then 'epic' then..whatever.

If you like the 'shoot em up with upgradable, transformable ships' genre, also try Terra Cresta (1985), Dangar and Mag Max by Nichibutsu

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I loved playing the arcade game at the movie theater.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle:Turtles in Time - If you've played the SNES port, you know how this one looks and plays. Playing the arcade original, you begin to notice how good the SNES port was.

Outrunners - Runs great although I get sound skipping at the car select screen. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically an Outrun sequel that gives you selectable cars, all with different passengers, and it was two player (at the arcade anyway).

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara - Excellent fighting game with a little D&D experience gaining thrown in. This was a sequel to D&D:Tower of Doom which is also good, but I like this sequel more.

G.I. Joe - Eh, not a bad game. I mainly play it to stare at Scarlett's ass.

bjork

Supported, but not fully emulated. The set I had would run the very beginning bootup sequence for it, and then that's it. Perhaps a newer version (if they're past 84) has it working?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle:Turtles in Time - If you've played the SNES port, you know how this one looks and plays. Playing the arcade original, you begin to notice how good the SNES port was.

So true. I was thinking to myself 'this is the arcade version?!' while playing the ROM w/ a friend on a laptop a couple weeks ago while on vacation.

I do like the arcade version a little better. I prefer several levels, and the arcade version did have better explosions. The SNES version did have new levels and bosses, but it also lacked the 4 player of the arcade.

Mainly, the arcade version didn't have the cheesy level transitions, and I did somewhat like that Shredder randomly threw you back in time, as opposed to the Technodrome level where you went into the warp. It made no sense, but it was fun. I also didn't really like the new levels.

nitewulf

Blazing Star:

blazingstar-3.gif

19xx:

arcade_0171_007.png

dodonpachi:

04.jpg

dangun feveron (the disco shooter):

dfev_1.png

in the hunt:

hunt-06.png

those are some of my favorite shooters.

dragon breed:

yDragon_Breed.png

aku:jiki

I have way too many MAME favorites. I'll just take some off the top of my head...

vLogic_Pro.png
xLogic_Pro.png

(Yeah, aren't you guys excited? It's fun, promise!)

1071523119.jpg
1071523139.jpg

(Pretty damn terrible screenshot, that.)

1050926741.jpg
1050926724.jpg

vOut_Zone.png
zOut_Zone.png

vTetris_Plus_2.png
yTetris_Plus_2.png

vBattle_Garegga.png
wBattle_Garegga.png

(Exciting shots!)

Silly forum... (continued)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know there are quite a few shooters already here, but I'd like to add one of my favs- Esp. Ra. De. by Atlus/Cave, just a beautiful game:

Esprade_02.jpg

Esprade_15.jpg

Esprade_29.jpg

Esprade_23.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The Outfoxies
Edward Randy
Great Ragtime Show (Boogie Wings) <--- is this emulated yet?
Osman/Cannon Dancer <--- is this emulated yet?
Guwange
Xexex
Liquid Kids
Tanto/Sando/Ichitanto R
The Game Paradise
Gunfrontier
Nebulus Ray
Gunsmoke
Aliens vs Predator
Bionic Commando (more difficult than i remember!)
Head Panic
Marchen Maze
Viewpoint
Zupapa!
Penguin Brothers/A-Blast
Joe and Mac 2
Pulstar (you can laugh at how close someone can come to Rtype without being sued!)
Blazing Star
Un Squadron / Area 88
Powered Gears
Sexy Parodius
In The Hunt
Metal Slug 3 or X
Mars Matrix
Layer Section
Sengoku Ace 1/2
Side Arms
Forgotten Worlds
Sol Divide
Space Harrier
Akenbadder
Sunset riders
Wild West COW : Boys of Moo mesa
Super Pang
Chelnov : Atomic Runner
Chiki Chiki Boys
Chequered Flag
Super Sprint
Hot Rod

Rainbow Island
Saboten Bombers
Strider
Rolling Thunder
Sky Kid
Gauntlet
Scramble
Commando
Bomb Jack
Shinobi
Spartan X/Kung fu master
Phoenix
Star Wars

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
woah that shooter looks beautiful.

I'll in some of my favs...

Final Fight
Vigilante
OutRun
OutRunners
Mortal Kombat I, II, & III
Samurai Shodown series
Alien vs Predator
Super Puzzle Fighter II
Ms Pac-Man
D&D II Shadow Over Mystaria
Metal Slug series
Marvel Super Heroes vs Streetfighter
X-Men vs SF
Marvel vs Capcom
Vampire Savior
Raiden
Macross Plus
Daytona USA 2
Super GT

those are what I play the most.

A few more:

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters - Cool game and because it's from Atari, it has that trademark digital voice. Basically it's a run n' gun game but it's played from a diagonal perspective. If you've played Crusader:No Remorse, this is like the a cartoony, goofy cousin.

Mystic Warriors - A quasi-sequel to Sunset Riders. If you liked that game, this plays identical, only it's with ninjas instead of cowboys.

Pirates - Kind of an obscure game. I'd never heard of it and downloaded it because of the title alone. It's a shooter, where you have to control both a cursor on screen plus control your avatar, dodging incoming fire. If you like shooting galery stuff, this is a good one.

Anyanka

Matlock said:
Different game altogether: the arcade version was only ported to the Genesis. The SNES had a side-scroller (that is, if memory serves correctly).

The SNES version is like arcade/genesis(there's also a Gamegear version, btw). It sucks though, mainly because it's REALLY hard.

The NES version is probably what you're thinking about. It's called Captain America & The Avengers but is a totally different game.

I recomend Sunset Riders!

aerofx

There was particular shooter that I was looking for and forgot the name of it. All I can remember from it is that you're flying a robot and you can collect a series of power-ups very much like Terra Cresta, it latches onto your character and adds new firepower. Maybe you guys can help, since everyone here is centered on Mame.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Blood Bros

Twin Cobra

Flying shark

I like the old school shooters more, Flying shark is great, biplane vs tanks, boats and other biplanes. I used to be able to beat that game 2 times over on 20c at the end of my Uni days.

I'm firing up my Mame cab when I get home!

MoxManiac

Haha, Captain America and the Avengers (arcade version on MAME) is worth playing for awesomely corny, hilarious voice acting.

Stage 1 boss: "YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!"
Player: (in a voice that's the same for each character, and sounds just like the stage 1 boss): "YOU WILL BE THE ONE ESCAPING!"

Or when you die: "I..CAN'T MOVE!"

"THANK YOU. WONDERMAN."
"OK GO!"

Anyanka

The best is...

Cap': WHERE IS THE LASER!?

Ultron: ASK THE POLICE.

WTF? That's just so random! Why would the police know!?

neptunes

you guys ever play any of these over kaillera or the internet?

cause I'm playing metal slug online with someone and it's really fun. :D

aku:jiki

amrum said:
I've heard you can play these arcade games on X-box ? How is the emulation ?
Short version? If you can't handle frameskip, don't even go there.

If you're fine with minor skips in most (modern) games, and some being unplayable (forget about 3D arcade emulation completely, for example), then it's pretty decent.

XS+

Banned
MAME compatible non/fighting arcade games:

19XX The War Against Destiny
Puzzle Fighter
Darius Gaiden
Steel Gunner
Last Resort
Blazing Star
Buster Bros.
Ballistic (neat puzzle game)
Metal Slug 1,2,X,3
Strikers 1999
Strikers 1945 Plus
In The Hunt
Gigawing
Battle Garegga
Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder
Gain Ground
Bubble Bobble
Alien vs Predator
Warriors of Fate
Road of the Sword (dunno if this has been emulated yet but it's a cool arcade beatemup)
And of course PAC-MAN!

Not MAME compatible:

<--- Wartran Troopers
Sonic Blast Man
Zero Gunner 2
Hydro Thunder
Border Down
SCUD Race
LA Machineguns
The House of the Dead
VO4
Ollie King