• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel like Jim Carrey lost his way the last 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel compared to guys like Steve Carell and Will Ferrell, Jim has struggled and should have made better choices the last 10 years. Especially coming off of Eternal Sunshine in 2004. Except for I Love You Phillip Morris, it's been pretty much all bad movies.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Fun with Dick and Jane
The Number 23
Yes Man
Mr. Popper's Penguins
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Kick-Ass 2

Hopefully Dumb and Dumber To is a return to form. Been a frustrating 10 years being a Jim Carrey fan.

I feel more this way about Eddie Murphy but I see your point. My favorite movie of his was probabaly Liar Liar. I didn't find Dumb and Dumber all that funny to be honest.

Sephzilla

Carrey's shone flickers of his former brilliance...

BruceAlmighty_poster.jpg

YesMan2008poster.jpg

...but yeah, he's mostly lost his touch.

Sheroking

Well... Jim is too energetic to just act, which he's long since proven he can do, so he reverts to his shtick and takes the jobs he's given where he can do that.

I'll defend Lemony Snicket's to the end of the damn earth, though. I love that movie.

Vesmir

Banned
He doesn't owe anyone anything, if he wants to make bullshit movies that mindless people will eat up then whatever. Same thing has been happening with DeNiro for a while.

They've put their effort in, and now they are looking for a quick buck.

I actually really liked Fun with Dick and Jane...
but yes, there's been a tapering off in recent years.
I hadn't seen it before, so I watched The Number 23 a couple weeks ago. What an incoherent mess of a film.

jett

D-Member
He's lost it. Either the ability to act or the ability to pick good, hell, decent projects. His last good movie was truly 10 years ago, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yeah agreed. I still have hope for the guy, but it seems like once you've lost it you never get it back. Like Eddie Murphy.

Can anyone think of someone who got shitty and then turned it around? Stallone?

Rich!

Yeah agreed. I still have hope for the guy, but it seems like once you've lost it you never get it back. Like Eddie Murphy.

Can anyone think of someone who got shitty and then turned it around? Stallone?

Robert Downey Jr? But I don't know if he can be classed as amazing to begin with before the downturn he suffered

WillyFive

He needs more dramatic roles. He's brilliant in web shows, but his movies have been pretty poor in the last decade with some exceptions (Bruce Almighty). He wasn't even that great in Burt Wonderstone.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I think it's just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey. He's been in a few good movies where he's done some decent performances, but most of the time he's just out doing those sub-par movies where he can overact all he wants without giving a fuck.

Waaghals

I haven't seen all of those, but A Series of Unfortunate Events was a good movie. I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Other than that I guess he lost his way compared to his heyday.

Messi

I feel compared to guys like Steve Carell and Will Ferrell, Jim has struggled and should have made better choices the last 10 years. Especially coming off of Eternal Sunshine in 2004. Except for I Love You Phillip Morris, it's been pretty much all bad movies.

Fun with Dick and Jane
The Number 23
Yes Man
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Kick-Ass 2

Hopefully Dumb and Dumber To is a return to form. Been a frustrating 10 years being a Jim Carrey fan.

Burt wonderstone was not a bad movie, and he was at the very least the second best thing in that movie. Oh and Lemony Snicket was a decent movie too.

AkuMifune

Banned
Robert Downey Jr? But I don't know if he can be classed as amazing to begin with before the downturn he suffered

Oh yeah, though his was more getting sober. Travolta yes, but didn't have the same highs I think. McConaughey is a good call.

I had hoped Carrey was returning to form in Kick Ass 2, but my god.

maxcriden

Fun with Dick and Jane
The Number 23
Yes Man
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Kick-Ass 2

I have to respectfully disagree. I thought Fun with Dick and Jane was legitimately good and funny. Didn't Paul Feig direct it? Yes Man was great, hilarious and compelling. Mr. Popper's Penguins was solid and cute. And I think The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is very underrated and will be much more appreciated as more people see it.

Sheroking

Jim Carrey is a serious (and better acting) Adam Sandler.

Both of them can act but choose not to. Sandler chases money, Carrey, I believe, does what he loves against what audiences would prefer. Sandler writes and/or produces his own vehicles with his buddies, Carrey gets offers.

So similarities, but very different.

Fun with Dick and Jane
The Number 23
Yes Man
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Kick-Ass 2

I liked Lemony and Fun with dick and Jane, but I agree. Even on Philip Morris being the one bright spot.
I feel like his age has come to an impasse with his comedic style.

Wthermans

Banned
Both of them can act but choose not to. Sandler chases money, Carrey, I believe, does what he loves against what audiences would prefer. Sandler writes and/or produces his own vehicles with his buddies, Carrey gets offers.

So similarities, but very different.
So what you are saying is they both choose to suck. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom