• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel like Jim Carrey lost his way the last 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Cable Guy was the beginning of the end.

SickBoy

I think it's just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey. He's been in a few good movies where he's done some decent performances, but most of the time he's just out doing those sub-par movies where he can overact all he wants without giving a fuck.

Totally agree. I think most people want slapstick Jim Carrey and he seems more than happy to oblige. I've enjoyed most of his more dramatic stuff... could live without his comedies in general.

Sheroking

When did these happen?
And, I'd argue McConnoughey was never good in the first place.

Nah, McConaughey had a ton of potential coming out of Dazed and Confused, and then he got mired in shitty romcoms.

Now he's nominated for a Best Actor Oscar, will likely be nominated for an Emmy (for True Detective) and is the lead in the next Chris Nolan movie. That's quite the comeback.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The peak of his career, which went unappreciated because people are idiots with bad taste.

No I'm going to nominate Liar, Liar as his best comedy and the Truman Show as his best not-comedy.

I did laugh at the Medieval Times Amok Time skit however.

He'll never top Truman Show.
I don't care either, that movie is great.

mMwP9Gg.png

When did these happen?

McConnoughey is in the middle of an incredible career resurgence, he is picking brilliant roles and giving great performances.

Starting with The Lincoln Lawyer he has since been in; Mud, Magic Mike, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club (Oscar nomination), True Detective (HBO series) and he's the lead in Chris Nolan's new movie Interstellar. Dude's killing it.

McConnoughey is in the middle of an incredible career resurgence, he is picking brilliant roles and giving great performances.

Starting with The Lincoln Lawyer he has since been in; Mud, Magic Mike, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club (Oscar nomination), True Detective (HBO series) and he's the lead in Chris Nolan's new movie Interstellar. Dude's killing it.

Just signed on to a new Gus Van Sant movie too. Dude is awesome.

Everdred

Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show were my favorites of his and I really like Yes Man but I agree most of the recent films are stinkers.

Bigfoot

I liked him in Kick-Ass 2... I just don't think they gave him enough screen time but I've never read the comic so not sure how closely they followed it.

overcast

When did these happen?
Mcconaughey has been incredible lately. Whether it's stealing scenes in supporting roles or owning a main role. One of my favorite actors to watch.

I'd argue Phoenix has had a resurgance. He disappeared, and I didn't really care for Walk the Line. Then he came back and delivered the performance of the year last year and Her.

As for Carrey, I loved him in Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show. Would love to see him try and focus on dramatic efforts again.

knkng

Yup, always preferred his dramatic roles (although I can only name Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show).

Despite having lots of comedy elements in it, I think Man on the Moon would qualify as a dramatic role, and definitely one of his best performances along with the two you mentioned.

sphinx

the piano man
I think that when Carrey is at his best, he is much better than both Carell and Ferell.

Carrey somehow manages to stay believable in spite of all the overacting and strange, weird faces but the other guys are way too over the top for my liking.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Yes Man
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Kick-Ass 2

I enjoyed these movies. Yes Man in particular.

gugi40

I started feeling weird about him after the movie "the number 23", nothing was the same after that.

Loved him in Ace Ventura movies, The cable guy, and Dumb and dumber.

The other movies just didn't feel as good personally.

Nah, McConaughey had a ton of potential coming out of Dazed and Confused, and then he got mired in shitty romcoms.

Now he's nominated for a Best Actor Oscar, will likely be nominated for an Emmy (for True Detective) and is the lead in the next Chris Nolan movie. That's quite the comeback.

I've never really liked him in any roles, personally.

Pulp Fiction for Travolta.

Oh, I thought it was something recent. Unaware of an early slump in his career. I thought Pulp Fiction was when he became 'good'.
From Paris with Love was decent though, but he went right back to sucking.

I enjoyed Yes Man, was light and fun. Maybe I have bad taste, idk
Jim Carrey is a serious (and better acting) Adam Sandler.
both were at their best in dramatic roles. Sandler's case is disappointing because he's shown to be much more capable of an actor than the shit he's usually involved with

I was at an event where he gave a speech for about 10 minutes. He obviously winged it and while he was funny, it was pretty obvious that he was in a terrible place and in a rocky marriage. People laughed at his jokes but I just felt bad for him.

Let's not forget that he gave good performances in several of these movies. I agree he made some poor choices but he has continued to show how talented he is.

He was by far the best thing about that movie.

Same goes for The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.

Persona7

Banned
is Me Myself and Irene worth a rewatch? I only remember a few quotes like the mozart one, something about ring worm and the car scenes with the spider and expand dong

is Me Myself and Irene worth a rewatch? I only remember a few quotes like the mozart one, something about ring worm and the car scenes with the spider and expand dong

It's good, but inconsistent. It was let down after King Pin, but worth a rewatch. Great soundtrack, too.

Let's not forget that he gave good performances in several of these movies. I agree he made some poor choices but he has continued to show how talented he is.
He's certainly better than Adam Sandler. I bring up that comparison only because I bought this at Target the other day:

0002519216257_500X500.jpg

A Series of Unfortunate Events isn't a perfect adaptation but it's decent and the series is so brilliant. It deserved better than to languish at the end of the third book. They were talking about doing sequels in stop-motion since all the kid actors have outgrown the parts, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Yes Man was good, even if it was mostly a retread of Liar Liar.

Haven't seen the other movies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Jim Carrey is in that place where Mike Myers is where his particular brand of comedy doesn't resonate anymore with a mass audience.

sphinx

the piano man
Yes man was his last decent film.

Yes Man had such a nice message and it was such a "feel good" movie, that I decided to buy the dvd/bluray to watch it again thanks to this thread..

I remember being truly moved by it,

the whole plot of the movie was " what if you let life happen?..."

so nice

A-V-B

Jim Carrey is in that place where Mike Myers is where his particular brand of comedy doesn't resonate anymore with a mass audience.

Liar Liar is still friggin genius, though, and if a movie like that came out again, bet you it'd be a pretty decent hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom