• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel like Jim Carrey lost his way the last 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLD UP

Dumb And Dumber To... that's happening? by the Farrelly Brothers? there's already photos from the set with both Carrey and Daniels in character? even damn Cam Neely is in it lol?

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

mclem

YesMan2008poster.jpg

A semi "Hey, it's that actor", that people might not know:

Yes Man is (rather loosely) based on a true account of someone who did the base premise of the film for a year; said "Yes" to everything. The person in question? Danny Wallace. Who plays the voice and likeness of *this* guy in Assassin's Creed:

6STy64H.gif

So, yes, in a somewhat bizarre Six Degrees thing, Jim Carrey is playing a fictionalised version of the guy who plays the voice of a character in Assassin's Creed.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think for an actor like him -- and seeing that the stigma of 'guy who falls around and acts dumb' still exists here -- the streak he had with The Cable Guy, The Truman Show and Man on the Moon was really groundbreaking. I wonder what happened to put him off track as being the next Tom Hanks Oscar-winner type.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So, yes, in a somewhat bizarre Six Degrees thing, Jim Carrey is playing a fictionalised version of the guy who plays the voice of a character in Assassin's Creed.

WAT I thought AssCreed was set in the past
:3

Gamble

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Fun with Dick and Jane - loved it
The Number 23 - hated it
Yes Man - loved it
Mr. Popper's Penguins
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Kick-Ass 2

the rest I haven't seen but from reviews and word of mouth I would have to agree

Carbon

Neo Member
Yeah agreed. I still have hope for the guy, but it seems like once you've lost it you never get it back. Like Eddie Murphy.

Can anyone think of someone who got shitty and then turned it around? Stallone?

Ben Affleck -- (GOOD) Good Will Hunting, Dogma, Pearl Harbor, Changing Lanes, Sum of All Fears --> (BAD) Daredevil, Gigli, Paycheck, Smokin' Aces --> (GREAT) The Town, Argo

McConnoughey is in the middle of an incredible career resurgence, he is picking brilliant roles and giving great performances.

Starting with The Lincoln Lawyer he has since been in; Mud, Magic Mike, The Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers Club (Oscar nomination), True Detective (HBO series) and he's the lead in Chris Nolan's new movie Interstellar. Dude's killing it.

I personally always liked McConnoughey. He was fantastic in contact. He was great in frailty. I even like is romcoms, where he was always charming and charismatic

iirate

I don't have the love for Carrey's classic roles that many do, but I adore him as a dramatic actor. On top of Eternal Sunshine and the Truman Show, I really love Man on the Moon, warts and all, and that movie wouldn't be anything if it weren't for Carrey.

The answer to this thread is no, no no, because you had to wait until after March 2014 to say it has been 10 years:

mzl.nnkfwyjn.jpg

Probably my favorite film of all time.

He is an one dimensional clown compared to Steve Carell and Will Ferrell, both of who try less hard to be funny. It's only a matter of time before people get tired of Jim Carrey because he never really evolved his comedian and acting ability.

Sorcerer

He is an one dimensional clown compared to Steve Carell and Will Ferrell, both of who try less hard to be funny. It's only a matter of time before people get tired of Jim Carrey because he never really evolved his comedian and acting ability.

I wouldn't give Ferrel that much credit, he basically made the same movie over and over for a while, he just changed the sport.

A basketball player,

A race car driver.

An ice skater.

Beginning with Anchorman, the plot in all these movies is that he is at the top of his profession, his enemies bring him, down, his girl leaves him, he makes a glorious comeback.

Comedians usually lose their edge once they have kids because they insist on making only movies their kids can watch. It happened with Carrey and it definiftely happened with Eddie Murphy. UGH.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
He's certainly better than Adam Sandler. I bring up that comparison only because I bought this at Target the other day:

0002519216257_500X500.jpg

A Series of Unfortunate Events isn't a perfect adaptation but it's decent and the series is so brilliant. It deserved better than to languish at the end of the third book. They were talking about doing sequels in stop-motion since all the kid actors have outgrown the parts, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Yes Man was good, even if it was mostly a retread of Liar Liar.

Haven't seen the other movies.

Woah, I need to buy this (my hd dvd player died and I have bruce almighty and billy madison on HD DVD). How much did it cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom