• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever notice the "Way cooler than the main character." trend in games?

Vieo

Ever notice the trend of how game devs throw an extra character into their games that are usually a lot more interesting/brooding and way cooler than the main character you're given to play with? It's almost as if they do it to tease you, like they're saying.. "Oh yeah. This is the character you really want to play with and want the game to be about, but, not gonna happen!".

Here's some examples...

For Megaman, it's Protoman.
For Megaman X, it's Zero. :)
For Solid Snake, I bet you it will be Raiden (but it was Grey Fox in MGS).
For Mario, it's Wario.
For Kirby, it's MetaKnight.
For Chris, it's Wesker.
For Tommy Vercetti, it was Lance Vance.
For Chrono, it's Frog and Magus.
For Cloud, it's Sephiroth.
For Ramza, it was Delita.

and..

For Frodo, it's Gandalf. :D

Am I the only one alone on this? Why do they keep doing that? Hmm... or perhaps it's just me and I find mysterious characters more appealing than 'rent-a-hero's.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I tend to like the mysterious/cool characters... until I get on the internet and am exposed to their crazed fan-bases. ;)

Really though, I always find myself most attached to the main-playable character (as long as he/she isn't whiney or angsty. I like my heroes optimistic, even to the point of corniness. :D )

Edit: But then you have a few games with characters that break your rule, too. Like Samus Aran! She's the main character, but all kinds of mysterious and cool! ;) Much <3 for Samus

jett

D-Member

Raiden is the antithesis of cool. He blows chunks, too.

Anyway...this trend is most obvious in the Final Fantasy series, or RPGs in general. :p

Yusaku

Every story needs an antagonist for the protaganist. If you like the antagonist more maybe it just means you're evil.

epmode

most of the characters you listed are villians or antagonists. you'll find that this "cool factor" also applies to books and films.
Hitman said:
For Shenmue its Ren for Ryo
yeah, ren for reals.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Vieo said:
For Chris, it's Wesker.
For Cloud, it's Sephiroth

I agree with those.

Also:

Ryu -> Ken, Akuma
Ryo Sakazaki -> Robert Garcia
Donkey Kong -> Diddy Kong
Ryo Hazuki -> Ren
Tidus -> Auron
Yuna -> Paine

belgurdo

Banned
I'm definitely not a fan of "silent badass" characters. I try not to play my games for wish fulfillment or whatever. I do however like "straight men" or other types of characters that seem to be more aware and natural about what's going on around them and can be funny about it (like FFVII Cid.)

AniHawk

JC10001 said:
I agree with those.

Also:

Ryu -> Ken, Akuma
Ryo Sakazaki -> Robert Garcia
Donkey Kong -> Diddy Kong
Ryo Hazuki -> Ren
Tidus -> Auron
Yuna -> Paine

Auron was the first to come to mind.

Gek54

Jesus christ you people are dumb. "I bet you thought it will be raiden"

Can you all not figure out that a word was missing?

Vieo said:
Ever notice the trend of how game devs throw an extra character into their games that are usually a lot more interesting/brooding and way cooler than the main character you're given to play with? It's almost as if they do it to tease you, like they're saying.. "Oh yeah. This is the character you really want to play with and want the game to be about, but, not gonna happen!".

Here's some examples...

For Mario, it's Wario.
For Kirby, it's MetaKnight.
For Chris, it's Wesker.
For Tommy Vercetti, it was Lance Vance.
For Chrono, it's Frog and Magus.
For Cloud, it's Sephiroth.
For Ramza, it was Delita.

and..

For Frodo, it's Gandalf. :D

Am I the only one alone on this? Why do they keep doing that? Hmm... or perhaps it's just me and I find mysterious characters more appealing than 'rent-a-hero's.

perhaps they seem to be cooler because you ARENT them and they are "mysterious" as someone said...now if you did have a game with them as the main character where your always them and learn about them....there might be another in THEIR game that is 'cooler" because of the fact you arent them.

its all psychological....i think

hahaha anywho in FF7 Cid was the cool character I wanted to be.....not sephiroth..
in Vice city....i never really liked Lance and never thought he was cool. Didnt really like Tommy Vercetti either but he was ok.

Gotta agree on the Megamans tho....heh.

peace

Chony

I have always wondered what bosses did in there spare time? Do they just sit around in the very end of a cave/dungeon/castle/spaceship/trail/bridge/etc. for a gang of adventurers/solo explorer/marine/etc. all day? Where is the logic. If I were a boss I would at least like a Gameboy or something to pass the time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I must be the only person in the world who hates Wario (game Wario...not Sunday sales Wario :)).

Anyway...
For Ashley Riot, it's Sydney Losstarot.
For Zidane, it's Vivi.
For Cecil, it's Kain.
For Vyse, it's Ramirez.
For your guy in KOTOR, it's HK-47.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I generally DISLIKE "cool" characters. They annoy me. Maniac Mansion was Bernard's game, and Day of the Tentacle proved it!

Give me the Luigis and the Bernards any day of the week.

MASB

bishoptl said:
Raiden? Are you high? You must be high.
lol. It is something you don't really expect to hear isn't it? If I did a Google search, I wonder if I'd come across Raiden fansites.

hold up..
hold on..
wait a minute...
wait a minute...
wait a fucking minute...

Raiden IS the main character!!!

that makes snake the "way cooler than the main character" person...

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The Faceless Master said:
hold up..
hold on..
wait a minute...
wait a minute...
wait a fucking minute...

Raiden IS the main character!!!

that makes snake the "way cooler than the main character" person...
MGS2: The plot that keeps on twisting

Dujour

Banned
It's just psychology. Unless you're vain as hell, there's no way you'd be cool enough to relate to the main character. There's nothing wrong with that. The main character's the first one you're usually introduced to, so you need to have someone come later on to improve upon wh you're used to controlling. And sometimes what people consider to be cool is what's outside of the "right" thing to do. For Grey Fox, it was killing Naomi's parents in cold blood. For Sephiroth, its was burning down an entire village and walking into it's flames (and killing whatshername :p). It's cool to be bad sometimes.

Edit: Yeah, Aragorn, son of Arathorn.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
It's not just videogames. You could make a heck of a cross-media list, starting with Mercutio being cooler than Romeo, or farther back than that (Hades was cooler than Zeus).

Main characters have to be accessible to a large number of people, and in the case of a videogame, are mostly controlled by the player and seen completing tasks rather than in scripted events that would convey any kind of personality.

Supporting characters can be more idiosyncratic or mysterious. They can have extreme character traits without being grating, because the audience is exposed to them less. They can commit immoral acts and seem more free than the hero.

I always thought Kain was cooler than Cecil, and I liked Cecil. I really, really, really like Manny Calavera, but Glottis probably packed in more entertainment per minute.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sephiroth is a deluded momma's boy nancy.

Kefka is possibly the greatest villain personality ever. Total questionable insanity!

sonic6.gif
ownz Sonic

Hero

I think part of the reason why you think other characters are cool is because you can't play as them.

Top Bottom