• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Deadlocked jury in Cosby trial wraps up for the night

So not only is Cosby old as dirt and basically blind, but his reputation as an upstanding POC role model has been irreversibly tainted. Even if the jury fails to convict, the damage has been done. Bill Cosby will die a disgraced man, not remembered for the good he accomplished during the civil rights movement, but for the women he drugged and raped throughout his life. That's justice enough for me. A conviction would just be icing on the cake.

From listening to the radio... he probably won't die *that* disgraced.

It's probably the right call. Beyond all reasonable doubt is the burden of proof on the prosecution and if they can't meet that it's their fault, not the jury. There's little hard evidence and we've recently seen threads on here showing how fallible memory is. Victim accounts alone just aren't enough and that's pretty much all you have in cases like this, especially since it's an older crime, the issues are compounded. It just doesn't pass muster.

Yeah I am in agreement with this

I think he did rape all those women, and it's shitty that there might not be a conviction, but it happens, I guess

SRG01

Criminal prosecution for a case more than a decade ago and no physical evidence... there was absolutely no way this would've resulted in an unanimous guilty verdict. That's the unfortunate truth :(

I fear that if Cosby goes free, race relations in the US will only get worse.

This is the worst time for an OJ repeat.

I fear that if you continue to send black men to jail without hard evidence while white men go free because of affluenza race relations in the US will only get worse.

He's black so he's automatically an ambassador for black people.

You say this in jest, but it's Bill Cosby.
For a lot of the people for a decade, the Huxtables were THE emissaries of affluent upper-middle class black folks.
Though it's eroded as the allegations and precedings have gone on for years now, theres still a lot of symbolic stake.

CazTGG

635838097792438704-988978956_I-Am-Surrounded-Idiots.gif

zelas

I fear that if Cosby goes free, race relations in the US will only get worse.

This is the worst time for an OJ repeat.
You should really, really educate yourself on the circumstances surrounding OJ's trial before making a statement like that again.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm glad the majority of Gaffers aren't lawyers. Jesus Christ...

They have to prove he's guilty beyond reasonable doubt. "I read an article and he's clearly guilty" is not enough. And jurors should not be convicting on that shit. If the prosecutor can't get a conviction with what they have, then there's not enough there to sell a guilty verdict to a jury.

Personally, I think he did what he's accused of. But I'm just going by limited knowledge of the case.

Zoe

The sooner we can replace idiot juries with AI the better.
AI would have already come back with "not guilty".

I'm sure the jury feels he's guilty, but it was near impossible for the prosecution to prove it to the necessary standard.

Top Bottom