• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Lebanon's pro-Western majority claims victory in elections, defeats Hezbollah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
thats how parliamentary systems work. they may have gained some ground, but overall, they were defeated.. the same shit happened with the left leaning party in israel.. they had the majority of the vote, but the right was able to form a coalition that overshadowed that.

Lebanon's parliament systems is confession based. You can't have more than the number of seats your confession can have. This is what's cockblocking Hizbullah. In that sense, they weren't defeated since, had it not been for the constitution preventing them from getting any more seats, they would have had more.

Sometimes I wish people knew what they were talking about...

You can claim they were defeated once they start losing seats. The ones who were "defeated" were Aoun's people (and even that is debatable). As Azih (and I) said, the coalition's lead is now smaller than it was before the election.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Fularu said:
Lebanon's parliament systems is confession based. You can't have more than the number of seats your confession can have. This is what's cockblocking Hizbullah. In that sense, they weren't defeated since, had it not been for the constitution preventing them from getting any more seats, they would have had more.

You can claim they were defeated once they start losing seats. The ones who were "defeated" were Aoun's people (and even that is debatable). As Azih (and I) said, the coalition's lead is now smaller than it was before the election.

its all semantics though. its still a defeat because they are not the "majority" party.

Clipjoint

According to Newsweek, Saudi Arabia spent more money in this election (4 million population) than Obama did in his record breaking campaign ($700 million plus). Lots of that money was buying votes and flying in expatriates for free to vote. There is even some video out there of a high ranking official (allied with the majority) threatening an Assyrian priest with arrest/assault if he didn't deliver votes, and paying off his debts if he was able to get the necessary number. There were a lot of shenanigans in this election, but most was from our "ally" (which includes Nazis and Al Qaeda).

ice cream

Banned
Clipjoint said:
According to Newsweek, Saudi Arabia spent more money in this election (4 million population) than Obama did in his record breaking campaign ($700 million plus). Lots of that money was buying votes and flying in expatriates for free to vote. There is even some video out there of a high ranking official (allied with the majority) threatening an Assyrian priest with arrest/assault if he didn't deliver votes, and paying off his debts if he was able to get the necessary number. There were a lot of shenanigans in this election, but most was from our "ally" (which includes Nazis and Al Qaeda).
If true, thats actually pretty disgusting.

Particle Physicist

JKBii said:
They were not the majority party before this.

okay. so they were defeated again..

did bush not defeat kerry even though bush had already previously won the majority?

why are you guys arguing this.. its described exactly the same way it has always been.

JKBii

quadriplegicjon said:
okay. so they were defeated again..

did bush not defeat kerry even though bush had already previously won the majority?

why are you guys arguing this.. its described exactly the same way it has always been.

Because they gained seats so what you're saying makes no sense. They were not the majority party, they gained a few seats but not enough to become the majority, and somehow that's a loss? I'm not a fan of Hezbollah but I'm not gonna lie to myself to pretend they're on their way out.

Particle Physicist

JKBii said:
Because they gained seats so what you're saying makes no sense. They were not the majority party, they gained a few seats but not enough to become the majority, and somehow that's a loss? I'm not a fan of Hezbollah but I'm not gonna lie to myself to pretend they're on their way out.

its not an overall loss.. but they were defeated for the majority.. its just the way it goes. i never said they were on their way out :lol so who is the controlling party?

i already gave the israel example.. the left leaning party won the most individual seats, but the right leaning parties created a coalition to defeat them for the majority. no one seemed to complain about those semantics then..

Azih

No. Quad, you are wrong. Lebanese politics is uniquely bizzare and no it is not merely semantics.

From the link I posted:
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/648849

Parliament is divided into 64 seats each for Muslims and Christians. (Sunni 27, Shiite 27, Druze 8 and Alawite 2, on one side; Maronite 34, Greek Orthodox 14, Catholic 8, Armenian 5, others 3, on the other side.)

Candidates must compete against co-religionists, though voters from other religious groups may vote for them. (A Muslim voter in a Christian-designated riding must choose between Christian candidates.)

This is a *fucked up system* that has tensions between different groups of people BUILT RIGHT IN. What an amazing French feature! and this thread is blowing my brain. Do people just make up their minds based on the title of a thread or a headline and not by what actually happened? Hezbollah is as powerful as they ever were, this election hasn't changed anything.

Particle Physicist

Azih said:
No. Quad, you are wrong. Lebanese politics is uniquely bizzare and no it is not merely semantics.

From the link I posted:
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/648849

This is a *fucked up system* that has tensions between different groups of people BUILT RIGHT IN. What an amazing French feature!

yeah, its a fucked up system, but it doesnt change anything that i have said. 'semantics' may have been the wrong word to use, but you know exactly what i meant.

Azih said:
and this thread is blowing my brain. Do people just make up their minds based on the title of a thread or a headline and not by what actually happened? Hezbollah is as powerful as they ever were, this election hasn't changed anything.

apart from maybe some scattered posts.. NO ONE is really saying this. i have NOT said that hezbollah is losing power.

so who won the majority? the pro-western party did. did they blow hezbolah out of the water? no. did they beat hezbollah by a larger percentage than before? no, they actually won by a smaller percentage.. but they still got the majority (within the rules of their political system)..

where do you see me saying that hezbollah has lost power?

hezbollah is stronger than ever, sure, but they were still defeated for the majority.

i really dont get why you guys are debating this with such vigor. :lol the title is not misleading at all. if you want to debate that in the grand scheme of things, hezbollah is better off.. sure, go ahead.. but getting all pissy over a technically correct title is lol worthy.

Fularu

Banned
You don't seem to understand. The only reason Hizbullah doesn't have the majority stake is because the constitution isn't allowing shia's to have more than 27 seats. Nothing more, nothing less. Other wise they would have had a very very easy majority.

also the reason the system is that way is to ensure that every confession is represented at the chamber. It was made in orderto stop the civil war and help establish a dialog between the different confessions.

Jesus, do you even understand the meaning of "defeat". Hizbullah wasn'T defeated, they actually came up extremely strong and are brighter than ever in the eyes of the lebanese people.

Particle Physicist

Fularu said:
You don't seem to understand. The only reason Hizbullah doesn't have the majority stake is because the constitution isn't allowing shia's to have more than 27 seats. Nothing more, nothing less. Other wise they would have had a very very easy majority.

also the reason the system is that way is to ensure that every confession is represented at the chamber. It was made in orderto stop the civil war and help establish a dialog between the different confessions.

Jesus, do you even understand the meaning of "defeat". Hizbullah wasn'T defeated, they actually came up extremely strong and are brighter than ever in the eyes of the lebanese people.

i do understand.. hezbollah was still defeated for the majority under the terms of the constitution. .. i am not saying they are worse off than before and that they havent gained ground..

jesus.. so tell me.. who is the majority party? hezbollah? fact is.. the title of this thread is completely correct.. if you want to argue that while hezbollah was defeated for the majority, they are overall better off and were not defeated in perception.. go right ahead.. i wont debate that..

i just dont understand how you can say the title/article is lying when the fact is.. the pro-western party defeated hezbollah for the majority under the terms of the constitution. they are the fucken majority party.. they did not fucken lose.. not yet at least..

Ydahs

ice cream said:
Why couldn't you go before? My uncle and aunti went 2 years ago. Said it was beautiful and fine... I mean Pakistan is worse than Lebanon and I still go there every year! :lol
School was the main issue for me not going, but my mother's parents lived in an area which was under threat of Isreali attacks. My mum went last year and I was always planning to go in the future, but now I feel more comfortable going since there's a chance of it being safer.

maharg

idspispopd
Fularu said:

Ok, here's the thing. In a parliament (no matter how it's structured or what its rules are) a party is "defeated" if it does not have enough seats to form a majority. It usually only comes up if they were previously the majority, but that is what the term means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom