• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple introduces (RED) iPhones, updated SE storage, and a new 9.7-in iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
New iPad
Apple today announced it is launching a new 9.7-inch iPad equipped with an A9 chip and a brighter Retina display to replace the iPad Air 2, which has been discontinued. The tablet, which Apple is simply calling "iPad," is Apple's new entry-level model at the 9.7-inch size, starting at $329 for 32GB and $429 for 128GB.

The new 9.7-inch iPad is similar in many ways to the iPad Air 2, which had an A8X chip and started at $399, but slightly thicker and heavier with a faster A9 chip and a brighter Retina display. Another difference is that the new 9.7-inch iPad does not have a fully laminated display or anti-reflective coating per its tech specs.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/21/apple-new-9-7-ipad-starting-329/

Product (RED) iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
Apple today announced it is launching a special edition (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on Friday, March 24.

PRODUCT(RED) models will be available in 128GB and 256GB storage capacities for the same $749/$849 and $869/$969 prices as the equivalent iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models in standard colors. The anodized aluminum's vibrant red finish is complemented by a white Apple logo and white front bezels.

Apple says the model is in recognition of more than 10 years of partnership between Apple and (RED), which it says gives customers a way to contribute to the Global Fund and "bring the world a step closer to an AIDS-free generation."
“Since we began working with (RED) 10 years ago, our customers have made a significant impact in fighting the spread of AIDS through the purchase of our products, from the original iPod nano (PRODUCT)RED Special Edition all the way to today's lineup of Beats products and accessories for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch," said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. "The introduction of this special edition iPhone in a gorgeous red finish is our biggest (PRODUCT)RED offering to date in celebration of our partnership with (RED), and we can’t wait to get it into customers' hands."
The special edition iPhone joins the current (PRODUCT)RED lineup, which is available to purchase year-round, including the full iPod line of products, Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones, Beats Pill+ Portable Speaker, the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case, and a range of accessories for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

The new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone will be available to order on Apple's website, at Apple Stores, and at select authorized resellers and carriers. Apple says the new model will begin shipping to customers by the end of March in the United States and more than 40 countries and regions around the world.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/21/apple-announces-iphone-7-productred-special-edition/

SE storrage doubled
Apple has announced that it will soon offer the iPhone SE in 32GB and 128GB storage capacities for $399 and $499 respectively.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...Phone-7-Plus-PRODUCT-RED-Special-Edition.html

Now they come out with a Product(RED) iPhone. When they first released the iPod touch version I had to cop for just how sleek and sexy that thing was.

Incredibly disappointed with no new iPad Pro announcement though. Passed on all those good sales last year on the first model thinking "I can hold out till spring" for a better model, and now nothing. Apple why? =/

I can't help but be disappointed in the lack of a new iPad Mini. A storage bump doesn't count when it's still rocking a SoC from 2014.

I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to phase out the Mini. It would be a shame if it were, the Mini was my preferred iPad form factor by a huge margin.

I still have a Mini 2. I had been tempted at times to get a Mini 4 but kept holding out over the past year for a Mini 5. Now that it's apparently nowhere in sight I wonder if I'm just maybe no longer in the market for a new iPad altogether.

Ceres

Banned
I can't help but be disappointed in the lack of a new iPad Mini. A storage bump doesn't count when it's still rocking a SoC from 2014.

I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to phase out the Mini. It would be a shame if it were, the Mini was my preferred iPad form factor by a huge margin.

I still have a Mini 2. I had been tempted at times to get a Mini 4 but kept holding out over the past year for a Mini 5. Now that it's apparently nowhere in sight I wonder if I'm just maybe no longer in the market for a new iPad altogether.

Same boat. If they discontinue the mini or move to a pro mini version only, I'll likely just get a non Apple tablet

Really upset that I finally dragged my lazy ass to the Apple Store two sundays ago to get my IUP upgrade handled. Would've waited for this if I knew :(

Same boat. If they discontinue the mini or move to a pro mini version only, I'll likely just get a non Apple tablet

At least if there were a Mini Pro announced it would possible have my interest because it would at least be a new Mini.

I'd been considering getting a Mini 4 for nearly a year but I kept thinking "if I wait just a bit more they'll surely announce a Mini 5 with an A9/A10". Now that it's March 2017 I don't want to buy a $400 tablet with 2014's internals.

Genuinely curious--do people prefer the gold/pink/red/whatever iPhones that have a white front? I feel like they would look a million times better if they were one color all the way around. Black is like that, and at least white has a silver back so it's not so jarring. The stark color difference on the variants like this and the 5C are really unappealing to me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Disappointed that this new iPad has a worse screen.

The iPad Air 2 really is the new iPad 2 as far as longevity goes. Totally helped wash away the bad taste the short lived iPad 3 left.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Mac Mini current specs are so bad. Will it ever be updated?

Edit: They didn't go with Red on black? Ew no. Plus I'd have a leather cover on the thing anyway.

Whompa02

Looks cool but it's just a cosmetic. I agree with people pointing out that the font looks terrible. Because it does.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wish there was a dongle to let the iPad pro work as an external HDMI monitor (I know there's software for screen sharing, but I mean plugging a console in).

32gb and 128gb and $100 difference on the SE? Seriously? This confirms no new SE is coming and also confirms the 64GB 449 option is the one I am going to get.

Agreed. The iPad mini is about as large as I will go with a mobile OS. Been waiting but apparently people love huge fucking tablets with a mobile OS.

ZOONAMI

Red is my least favorite color. Would be cool if they did a 5.5 inch 7c or 8c with lots of color options.

Kyne

as someone who will never buy an apple product that phone is hot as fuck*.

*my favorite color is red and I might be bias.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That would be absolutely awesome,

It's technically possible too - lightning has more than enough bandwidth for HDMI in (it already supports out) and the iPad can certainly display external content (there's a dongle that lets you use it to display PC or Mac content without lag - but they're kinda screen mirroring so it needs software drivers at the PC side).

Chris R

Should have been a black front, or maybe even the same red all the way around.

Apple should just let you pick and choose :\

LQX

Does it even cost a cent not to have some sort of anti-reflective coating? Seems odd to get rid of that.

Syncytia

I've always loved the RED products, although I've never bought one. If this was available with a black face instead of white.... I would go out and buy it right now.

toohectic

So that iPad is worse than the Air 2?

It has an upgraded SOC, improved screen brightness, lower price, etc. Only the dimensions/weight and supposed lack-of screen lamination have regressed. Probably fits the lowest-cost iPad position well.

I'm hoping we don't have to wait much longer for an iMac / Mac related announcement. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom