• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple introduces (RED) iPhones, updated SE storage, and a new 9.7-in iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the new iPad actually a pretty good value or am I missing something? I've been wanting something to replace my aging 2013 Nexus 7 and this seems like a good deal, especially since I want to step up to a larger size. I might buy it.

I feel like I'm missing something since I see so few positive reactions here though lol

Yeah to me it seems like a good value. Was just reading anandtech and they had a pretty good summary of the 2017 iPad.

Its got the case and screen of the Air 1. Camera of the Air 2. SoC of an iPhone 6s.

So its a little heavier and thicker than an Air 2, but faster. I think people are just upset that not everything is an upgrade from Air 2 (and thus not a true successor). I am strongly thinking about replacing my iPad4 with this on Friday.

Guess Who

Banned
Is the new iPad actually a pretty good value or am I missing something? I've been wanting something to replace my aging 2013 Nexus 7 and this seems like a good deal, especially since I want to step up to a larger size. I might buy it.

I feel like I'm missing something since I see so few positive reactions here though lol

Not a lot of positive reactions because it's not a terribly exciting product - it's all old tech. That said, it's a pretty solid value at $329. The non-laminated display is the only meaningful con, but honestly, it's still gonna be a fine display.

But for my old iPad 3 this is a good upgrade right?

Its getting so slow so I really feel the need for a new iPad (and fuck no I wont buy an iPad pro)
Hey me and you both. The iPad 3 has reached its limit for me, I'll turn it into a Youtube player for the kid while I upgrade to either the new iPad or Air 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My iPhone 5's battery is starting to peace out, will probably get an SE now, 32 gb. That phone seems perfect for me, since I don't want to pay that much and I'm okay with a smaller screen. Value-wise it seems like a good deal, glad they upped the storage.

My iPhone 5's battery is starting to peace out, will probably get an SE now, 32 gb. That phone seems perfect for me, since I don't want to pay that much and I'm okay with a smaller screen. Value-wise it seems like a good deal, glad they upped the storage.
Best value ever. I had an upgrade through sprint in November and only paid $50 for the 64gb. Best phone purchase ever.

jrcbandit

So... where's my iPad with 3D touch support?

I don't think many people want that because of the significant increase in weight it entails. The Iphone 7 Plus weighs quite a bit more than the Samsung S7 Edge/ Note 7 (or Iphone 6 Plus) due to the addition of 3D Touch. That along with the ginormous bezels is why I went back to Samsung. It will be interesting to see what Apple does with the new Ipad Pro/Iphone X "The Edition" where they supposedly are getting rid of the massive bezels, they might add 3D Touch to the Ipad then..

Damn, I would have gotten the red iPhone if it had been available when I got my 7.

I wish they'd release the colored phones with a black front. I considered getting a rose gold 7 but I prefer the front to be black.

Man... That red is hot af... I was all in for a matte black when I upgrade later this year or next year but I love the red.

I rock the red silicone case with my silver 6S+, the red/white contrast is nicer than red/black imo.

jbueno

In the market for a new iPad, so this is nice. 64 GB iPhone SE still going strong, don´t feel the need to replace it this year, hopefully they keep refreshing it year over year, love its size.

MaxDOL

Damn Apple, I want to replace my aging iPad AIR 1.

Which iPad should I replace with my iPad AIR 1.

iPad AIR 2 - 128GB Cellular 22900 Thai baht (661 USD)
or
iPad 2017 - 128GB Cellular 20900 Thai baht (603 USD)

I hope I will be able to buy the new 128 gb iPad in a physical store on the 25th.

I'm going on vacation the next weekend an it would be nice to have it up and running by then

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably going to get an SE soon. Any impressions here? A smaller screen alone would be great, but I love the 5 design.

I hope I will be able to buy the new 128 gb iPad in a physical store on the 25th.

I'm going on vacation the next weekend an it would be nice to have it up and running by then

Stock will probably be pretty limited come Friday, that's what I heard from my local apple store. Obviously no harm in checking, but he prepared to not be able to grab one right away

I'm probably going to get an SE soon. Any impressions here? A smaller screen alone would be great, but I love the 5 design.

It's essentially the only "flagship" phone in that screen size. My girlfriend loves hers, and I have to be honest I sometimes get jealous of how easy it is to hold and pocket versus my 7 Plus

Essentially everyone I know with an SE loves it and when people find out about it (because they think the 6/7 size is too big even and the SE isn't advertised) they immediately want it

DeVeAn

Thinner is not better. The Air 2 vibrates like hell with high volume. New iPad is a steal at that price honestly.

Liberty4all

Banned
Disappointed that this new iPad has a worse screen.

The iPad Air 2 really is the new iPad 2 as far as longevity goes. Totally helped wash away the bad taste the short lived iPad 3 left.

I got burned with the original iPad ... bought it a year in too :(

iPad Air 2 I bought right away as I guessed (correctly) that with the memory increase it was (as you say) going to be the new iPad 2 in terms of life.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm all the way on the iPad mini train, but this is a great new entry price.

That red iPhone looks sexy as hell too, damn.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Still rocking an OG iPad Air. Had been thinking about an upgrade to the 9.7" Pro, but that did seem like overkill considering I had no plans to use it as a laptop replacement.

Wondering if this new iPad would be a worthwhile leap.

Jimrpg

We sold our iPad 2 last month in anticipation of a new iPad announcment so this is great news and I'll be getting the new iPad for my mum. At basically half the price of the iPad Pro its a no brainer.

I'm totally disappointed there wasn't a lower iPad mini price. My wife wants to upgrade her original iPad mini (and she doesn't want the bigger sized iPad) but $567 Australian dollars for a 2 year old tablet? This needs to be $399 Australian before I consider it. Super disappointed. I really wished she had just waited the six months to get the ipad mini 2 originally because at least that had a retina screen and it was only AU$400 at the time.

kubev

It's a shame that there's no option for a red SE. I kind of miss the crazy colors of Windows Phones, and I really don't want a larger phone. I suppose that I'll stick with my current SE, since I'm not even close to using the entirety of the 64 GB of storage that I already have.

We sold our iPad 2 last month in anticipation of a new iPad announcment so this is great news and I'll be getting the new iPad for my mum. At basically half the price of the iPad Pro its a no brainer.

I'm totally disappointed there wasn't a lower iPad mini price. My wife wants to upgrade her original iPad mini (and she doesn't want the bigger sized iPad) but $567 Australian dollars for a 2 year old tablet? This needs to be $399 Australian before I consider it. Super disappointed. I really wished she had just waited the six months to get the ipad mini 2 originally because at least that had a retina screen and it was only AU$400 at the time.

Have you guys checked the refurbished store? They have some refurb (which in Apple land is basically new) Mini 2's starting at AU$299

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_2/wi_fi

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yet another totally underwhelming update cycle. How hard can it be to do a proper new iPhone SE update in the 7 style? Give Mac some love? Do something that is news? Arrange a keynote? God I miss the 00s times when Apple would each year have keynotes to announce medium scale innovative new things like iPod Shuffle, iPod Mini, Mac Mini, Timecapsule, Airport Express, hell I'll even take an iPod Hi-Fi keynote at this point

Jimrpg

One more thing, the new iPad specs generally seem fine, wished they gone with the A10 chip instead of the 1.5 year old A9 chip from the iPhone 6s. But the biggest issue I have with the new ipad is that we use the Facetime camera alot and its only 1.2MP. the iPad Pro and iPhone 6s has a 5MP and the iPhone 7 has a 7MP facetime camera. Does no one use Facetime on the iPad? The front camera is neglected more often than not anytime there's a new model. But what choice do I have, just gotta get the new iPad I suppose.

Have you guys checked the refurbished store? They have some refurb (which in Apple land is basically new) Mini 2's starting at AU$299

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini_2/wi_fi

Thanks, Ill check it for a mini 4 and see the prices. I think the mini 2 is a bit old now.

Yet another totally underwhelming update cycle. How hard can it be to do a proper new iPhone SE update in the 7 style? Give Mac some love? Do something that is news? Arrange a keynote? God I miss the 00s times when Apple would each year have keynotes to announce medium scale innovative new things like iPod Shuffle, iPod Mini, Mac Mini, Timecapsule, Airport Express, hell I'll even take an iPod Hi-Fi keynote at this point

They didn't have an event for this stuff because they knew it was underwhelming. Can you imagine the backlash if people flew out for this stuff?

Now when they have an event in the near future this stuff is already out of the way

One more thing, the new iPad specs generally seem fine, wished they gone with the A10 chip instead of the 1.5 year old A9 chip from the iPhone 6s. But the biggest issue I have with the new ipad is that we use the Facetime camera alot and its only 1.2MP. the iPad Pro and iPhone 6s has a 5MP and the iPhone 7 has a 7MP facetime camera. Does no one use Facetime on the iPad? The front camera is neglected more often than not anytime there's a new model. But what choice do I have, just gotta get the new iPad I suppose.

Thanks, Ill check it for a mini 4 and see the prices. I think the mini 2 is a bit old now.

Makes sense. I agree with you as well, the 12.9" Pro I have has a 1.2MP front camera, and it bugs the hell out of me. But my model cost $900 and not $330

Will the iPad be available in Vietnam by april 2nd?

Will it be ok to buy it there then? If I cant buy it before the trip I might buy it there

Want the 128gb wifi iPad

I have an iPad 3 I've been waiting to upgrade. Does this look like a good value, or should I wait for a full upgrade?

No laminated screen though...will that be noticeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom