• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple introduces (RED) iPhones, updated SE storage, and a new 9.7-in iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedge7

Godamn, was hoping for either new pro editions or the rumoured 10 inch iPad. I guess I should have just got one a few months ago.

Laekon

Still can't find out why anyone likes phones or tablets with a white border around the screen. The red phones would look much better to me with a black face.

Still can't find out why anyone likes phones or tablets with a white border around the screen. The red phones would look much better to me with a black face.

yes.
nothing looks more ugly than that
white back is okay, but white bezel around the screen? puke

I do. I always go white/silver. The white bezels look sleek and refreshing. Besides, I already own enough black/black gadgets.

In fact I always thought that despite the plastic-y back the iPhone 5c would have looked a lot more appealing with white bezels on the front.

But I get why people want the black bezels so they blend in with the screen.

Servbot24

Banned
I do. I always go white/silver. It just looks sleek and refreshing. Besides, I already own enough black/black gadgets.

But I get why people want the black bezels so they blend in with the screen.

Is there any reason you wouldn't want a black bezel with silver back though?

Is there any reason you wouldn't want a black bezel with silver back though?

Seen it before on the original iPhone 2G and iPad 1. I dunno, the white bezels seem to compliment the silver back case more.

Also, to be honest it reminds me of the 2000s-era Apple more, and I always liked that period of Apple design.

xsarien

daedsiluap

For me it's a little bit of nostalgia and continuity from all the iPods I owned. Besides, black is a little too generic.

That's a gorgeous looking phone, shame it took them this long to launch a red version. My rose gold se will do for a long while though.

A bit disappointed with the new iPad however, my air 2 is sitting comfortably with a slimmer, lighter profile and the a8x is still incredibly fast with almost anything I throw at it. The triple core CPU and ultra fast 2gb really helps it zip along.

Is the SE still an acceptable device for someone looking to upgrade from a 5S? I would like to have a more current phone, but the round form and size of the 6 and 7 really don't appeal to me. I've been thinking of getting an SE for about a year now.

Shame about the thickness and weight bump of the new Ipad.

But, at least they've filled that space with a bigger battery. Hopefully that translates into longer life, unless the A9 sucks up a lot more juice than the A8X.

Not sure if it really warrants an upgrade from an Air 2 though. And the IPad Pro is a massive step up in terms of pricing. Feels like there's a bit of a gap in the ipad range. :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
hnnngh... but my rose gold

but red

but my rose gold

but red

Xjf905YD1F3bKSMqrVZYImI3hEo=.gif

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is the SE still an acceptable device for someone looking to upgrade from a 5S? I would like to have a more current phone, but the round form and size of the 6 and 7 really don't appeal to me. I've been thinking of getting an SE for about a year now.

I bought one for my wife at Christmas. I have a 6S, and smaller screen aside I much prefer the form factor of the SE. It looks great, and the performance is very good.

Erebus

If you don't mind buying a new phone that looks identical to your current one then by all means I think it's worth it. Other than the lack of 3D Touch (that I barely use on my 7) and the inferior front camera, it's a 6s with stellar battery life in smaller size.

I bought one for my wife at Christmas. I have a 6S, and smaller screen aside I much prefer the form factor of the SE. It looks great, and the performance is very good.

If you don't mind buying a new phone that looks identical to your current one then by all means I think it's worth it. Other than the lack of 3D Touch (that I barely use on my 7) and the inferior front camera, it's a 6s with stellar battery life in smaller size.

ah, okay. thanks.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Super duper stoked about the 128GB iPhone SE. I almost picked up a 64GB one a few weeks back but decided to wait it out a bit.

Though I'm a bit jealous about that red iPhone. Goddamn. Unfortunately it's way too big for my tastes.

Disappointed that this new iPad has a worse screen.

The iPad Air 2 really is the new iPad 2 as far as longevity goes. Totally helped wash away the bad taste the short lived iPad 3 left.

But for my old iPad 3 this is a good upgrade right?

Its getting so slow so I really feel the need for a new iPad (and fuck no I wont buy an iPad pro)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Air 2 remains my non-Pro king.
Doubt I'll buy another iPad honestly now that super thin, light, and well built laptops have arrived from many manufactures.

But for my old iPad 3 this is a good upgrade right?

Its getting so slow so I really feel the need for a new iPad (and fuck no I wont buy an iPad pro)

Huge upgrade.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bigger problem with the Red is it still has mad price markup.

You can get the Matte Black for waayyy cheaper in either the regular or plus variant.

You can get a 128 gig Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus for $25 a month (30 month plan) from say Best Buy. Where as the Red color direct from Apple is over $40 (yes yes you get Apple Care).

Hard sell just for a color.

I'm with the people wanting a black front and a red back. Thats just an aesthetically pleasing combo to me. I have to wonder if the fact that some of the money from the sell of product red phones goes towards HIV and AIDS programs. In western american culture black is considered to be bad. Its the color of the grim reper. Also, HIV/AIDS attacks the immune system and is transmitted by blood. So I also wonder if the colors represent red and white blood cells. Perhaps Im overthinking it, but it all seems plausible to me

You can get the Matte Black for waayyy cheaper in either the regular or plus variant.

You can get a 128 gig Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus for $25 a month (30 month plan) from say Best Buy. Where as the Red color direct from Apple is over $40 (yes yes you get Apple Care).

It's because RED iPhones are 128GB minimum and the payments you're citing are for the 32GB model. The Project RED are the same price as the regular iPhones for the same storage.

VertPin

The red looks nice, but I'd much rather prefer all black or
space gray

If Jet Black aluminum somehow still stays with all the microabrasions then bring back space gray. I love my jet black but you really can't use this thing without a case, and I do not like cases.

Fuchsdh

I can't help but be disappointed in the lack of a new iPad Mini. A storage bump doesn't count when it's still rocking a SoC from 2014.

I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to phase out the Mini. It would be a shame if it were, the Mini was my preferred iPad form factor by a huge margin.

I still have a Mini 2. I had been tempted at times to get a Mini 4 but kept holding out over the past year for a Mini 5. Now that it's apparently nowhere in sight I wonder if I'm just maybe no longer in the market for a new iPad altogether.

I think this is the ultimate goal. They'll have an entry-level iPad and then the iPad Pro for everyone higher, and the mini dies. By all accounts it's gotten hammered by the larger iPhone Plus so I'm not sure Apple sees the utility in its lineup anymore.

But man, Apple's product lineup is still a mess, and this doesn't do much to streamline anything.

iPad air 2 437 g and 6.1 mm thick
iPad 2017 469 g and 7.5 mm thick

WTF.

Shakes head.

Yeah this is baffling. According to the Macrumors link in the OP it also loses the laminated display/anti-reflective coating?

Is this even an upgrade from the Air 2?

For me it's a little bit of nostalgia and continuity from all the iPods I owned. Besides, black is a little too generic.

Black also shows finger smudges, dust, and scratches far more easily than white.

I think this is the ultimate goal. They'll have an entry-level iPad and then the iPad Pro for everyone higher, and the mini dies. By all accounts it's gotten hammered by the larger iPhone Plus so I'm not sure Apple sees the utility in its lineup anymore.

But man, Apple's product lineup is still a mess, and this doesn't do much to streamline anything.

It's still kind of a shame. I'm typing on one now. The Mini in portrait mode is just perfect. I've owned and used 9.7" iPads in the past, but the Mini was the one that just clicked and felt right.

Nobody's expecting it to be the flagship iPad anymore, but if the Mini goes I have a feeling I'll probably move on from iPads altogether.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's because RED iPhones are 128GB minimum and the payments you're citing are for the 32GB model. The Project RED are the same price as the regular iPhones for the same storage.

Uh no?

Maybe if you buy direct from Apple, but you can easily get the exact pricing I quoted elsewhere.

That's BB, but you can check elsewhere too for cheaper than the Red pricing.

Edit: It's not just an Apple problem. Samsung's Coral Blue is more $$$ too cause it came later and you can find deals on the original sale of colors.

It's part of the issue of releasing new colors post launch.

It's still kind of a shame. I'm typing on one now. The Mini in portrait mode is just perfect. I've owned and used 9.7" iPads in the past, but the Mini was the one that just clicked and felt right.

Nobody's expecting it to be the flagship iPad anymore, but if the Mini goes I have a feeling I'll probably move on from iPads altogether.

The mini is the perfect size for a tablet, IMO. Regular iPads are pretty good but you can't expect to hold one with one hand for extended periods of time.

Lo-Volt

Not necessarily an upgrade from the iPad Air 2. But the point seems to be something else. It's a particularly inexpensive, but well-built full-sized Apple tablet. For people who aren't necessarily carrying scales with them, that's the beginning and the end of this conversation. I also bet this move is lacking context. The rumor so far indicates that this is an adjustment throughout the line, and we've only seen the first part of it today. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro 2 takes the $500 mark to make up for the shift in price.

asdad123

Uh no?

Maybe if you buy direct from Apple, but you can easily get the exact pricing I quoted elsewhere.

That's BB, but you can check elsewhere too for cheaper than the Red pricing.

$25.67 x 30 months = $770.01 (cause its currently on sale. Normal pricing is $29 per month, or $870.)

Same price as the Red iPhone 7 plus. I fail to see what your point is? On Apple the monthly payment is higher because you are paying over 24 months, not 30.

The new iPad is essentially a new iPad in the body of an Air 1, not the Air 2 or the 9.7 Pro. It's the exact same depth as the Air 1, and just a sliiiiiiight bit more heavy. Probably not noticeable at all (1 pound Air 1 vs 1.03 pound iPad 2017)

Got a new(er) chip, the same other internals as an Air 2, and the body of an Air 1 (including the lack of reflective coating, though it's still missing a side switch)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is the new iPad actually a pretty good value or am I missing something? I've been wanting something to replace my aging 2013 Nexus 7 and this seems like a good deal, especially since I want to step up to a larger size. I might buy it.

I feel like I'm missing something since I see so few positive reactions here though lol

Jeffrey

The lack of transparency on how much each iPhone sale goes to this aid fund is kinda shady.

Unless I missed it somewhere. Been searching everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom