• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple introduces (RED) iPhones, updated SE storage, and a new 9.7-in iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand bringing the air gap screen back. It's like we've gone backwards there.
Yeah it shits me that Apple haven't made it a clear upgrade from the device it's replacing. . Always got to do something to try and raise their ASP to the next device tier.

If it's a cost thing, make it $350 with the same screen as the Air 2. Done.

gruenel

I'll probably be buying the new iPad for my wife. Her iPad 4 is on its last legs, performance-wise. Plus, she hates that she can't install an ad blocker on that thing.

giga

Price drops to $300 for educational institutions. Pretty good.

ws4cpoy.png

Li Kao

Unless you need access to the smart connector or the pencil either now or in the future, the 2017 iPad seems like THE iPad to move to if you have a iPad 2/3/4

Uh ? This new ipad doesn't support the pencil ? I mean it's of course smaller than a pro but fuck !

I'm seriously annoyed by this announcement. I'm on the market for both a new phone (don't have one atm) and tablet (have an ipad 4) but there are serious downsides everywhere.

Just glanced at the price but the ipad 2017 one is seriously good. It would cost me 2x that to buy a Pro. And isn't a Pro refresh rumored for April ? Then again, the thing is cheap but it comes with some caveats too.

And on the phone front, while I can't agree that the September refresh is thatttt soon, it puts me in a delicate situation too.

I don't know what to do, maybe opting for an S8 and a Pro (but what about a theoretical new Pro soon...)

I have an iPad 3 I've been waiting to upgrade. Does this look like a good value, or should I wait for a full upgrade?

No laminated screen though...will that be noticeable?

Not sure if this is accurate, but I read that the Air 2 was the first iPad to move to a fully laminated screen. So if you have anything older than that you won't notice.

emag

Which means what?

It's like the old iPhones and iPads, where the LCD display was not joined directly with the front layer of the screen. If you've used a recent iPhone (except the SE) or iPad (Pro, Air 2, or Mini 4), you may notice that the pixels appear to be printed on the screen itself.

The downside to a laminated display is that repairs are more expensive, as if the glass cracks, the whole LCD needs to be replaced as well.

OldMan

Banned
Another sexy iPhone that will inevitably be covered by a hideous case unfortunately. Make your damn product industrustable, shatter proof!

Anion

It's like the old iPhones and iPads, where the LCD display was not joined directly with the front layer of the screen. If you've used a recent iPhone (except the SE) or iPad (Pro, Air 2, or Mini 4), you may notice that the pixels appear to be printed on the screen itself.

The downside to a laminated display is that repairs are more expensive, as if the glass cracks, the whole LCD needs to be replaced as well.
The rather sad part is that damaging the screen for any iPad will require a full unit swap at Apple. So even if this makes the repair cost "cheaper" for the iPad - it won't matter.
Unless this iPad is different

Tigress

Agreed. The iPad mini is about as large as I will go with a mobile OS. Been waiting but apparently people love huge fucking tablets with a mobile OS.

Same here. Glad my mini 4 is totally fine for me. If they discontinue it, oh well, guess I'll be stuck with this one. Bigger tablets are pointless to me (at that point I'd rather have a laptop cause they no longer are portable enough to make up for lack of keyboard and propping up the screen for me so I don't have to hold it up to use it). Before I got a message mini I had an iPad 2 my mom gave me. All it ever got used for is a portable tv I can use to watch while I do chores (I still use it for that so I don't have to put my mini in places it might get a little messy). The mini 2 I was given that was really quirky working was so useful cause so much smaller and lighter and the smaller size also made it easier to type on even with quirks I went out and bought a mini 4 and I've been loving it.

br3wnor

So what's the deal w/ the new iPad not having the 'ant-reflective' screen?

I have an original iPad 3 (the first one w/ the retina screen). The thing is obviously sluggish, but it still works, though I only use it for comics at this point. I'm assuming the anti reflective thing was not on the iPad I currently have and the new iPad would just have similar glare/reflections? I only use my iPad in bed or on my lunch break in my office so glare is never a problem and $329 is mighty tempting. (As is being able to use the iPad for more than just reading comics)

Blackhead

Redarse
Agreed. The iPad mini is about as large as I will go with a mobile OS. Been waiting but apparently people love huge fucking tablets with a mobile OS.

That's not quite true. When the iPad Mini launched it was a smash hit selling more than the big iPad and the iPad Mini 2 was also projected to be a hit as well. The Nexus 7 outsold all other Google Android tablets, the Kindle Fire 7 continues to outsell the bigger Kindles. Part of the reason is the lower price but also part of the reason is as Tigress wrote: many people prefer the size.

Apple fucked over the iPad mini and didn't give it a fair chance. They raised the price of the iPad mini 2 and then iPad mini 3 was an insulting 'upgrade' with the only change the addition of TouchID. Google flat out stopped offering 7" tablets. Even Samsung with all their plethora of models doesn't bother. It's very frustrating.
Yet another totally underwhelming update cycle. How hard can it be to do a proper new iPhone SE update in the 7 style? Give Mac some love? Do something that is news? Arrange a keynote? God I miss the 00s times when Apple would each year have keynotes to announce medium scale innovative new things like iPod Shuffle, iPod Mini, Mac Mini, Timecapsule, Airport Express, hell I'll even take an iPod Hi-Fi keynote at this point

They didn't have an event for this stuff because they knew it was underwhelming. Can you imagine the backlash if people flew out for this stuff?

Now when they have an event in the near future this stuff is already out of the way

what event in the near future? You think Apple is going to have another event before WWDC? Or you think Apple is going to announce iPad Pros and Macs at WWDC? That's unlikely imo but even then that's still a quarter away. Apple announced no improved hardware yesterday. The pace at which Apple upgrades their hardware has slowed to crawl except for the iPhones (and even those are struggling along without a new design...)

LewieP

Chalk me up as another person with an iPad Mini 2 who's been waiting quite some time for a proper upgrade. As soon as they make a real successor, I'm in.

emag

Other than pen functionality whats the difference between the 9inch Pro and the 9inch non Pro?

There are a number of differences, but if you don't know about them already they're probably not dealbreakers.

Compared to the 2017 iPad, the 9.7" Pro has:
A better screen (laminated, AR coating, brighter, automatic true-tone adjustment)
A better processor (A9X vs. A9)
Better front and back cameras
Apple Pencil & Apple Smart Keyboard compatibility

The Pro is also a little lighter and thinner.

So what's the deal w/ the new iPad not having the 'ant-reflective' screen?

I have an original iPad 3 (the first one w/ the retina screen).

If you're fine with the iPad 3's display, you'll be fine with that of the 2017 iPad.

jamsy

Disappointed that this implies no new SE for a while.

The SE is by far the best thing Apple makes and my 64GB is already full since I take a lot of pictures. No interest in giant ass phones everyone is making. Guess I'll need to spent like $200 for an upgrade to the 128GB :(

Li Kao

what event in the near future? You think Apple is going to have another event before WWDC? Or you think Apple is going to announce iPad Pros and Macs at WWDC? That's unlikely imo but even then that's still a quarter away. Apple announced no improved hardware yesterday. The pace at which Apple upgrades their hardware has slowed to crawl except for the iPhones (and even those are struggling along without a new design...)

Well there was a rumor Apple could make a conference when they open their new Steve Jobs auditorium in April. It's just that, a rumor, but it would make sense.

br3wnor

The SE is by far the best thing Apple makes and my 64GB is already full since I take a lot of pictures. No interest in giant ass phones everyone is making. Guess I'll need to spent like $200 for an upgrade to the 128GB :(

You look into the iCloud photo storage? I think 100gb is like $2 a month. I'm in same boat of loving my SE though I have the 64gb and still have a lot of space left, not much in way of picture taking for me. I'm hopeful that they'll release an updated one within the next couple of years, otherwise hanging on to mine as long as possible. No desire to go back to the bigger display, SE is perfect for what I need.

Jeffrey

You should back up your phones to Google photos or Dropbox or some place?

SE camera is pretty decent but I can't imagine looking at the pics on that small low res screen is optimal lol.

I don't understand bringing the air gap screen back. It's like we've gone backwards there.

I think Apple's bending over backwards here to make sure there's very little room to underprice the iPad that doesn't get you into shit-tablet territory. This is basically about competing directly with cheap Chromebooks, also (which have gobbled up a lot of the education market that otherwise would've been in Apple's back pocket).

None of these announcements are for the pro market (and/or Apple's concept thereof) or for premium-product consumers, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an iMac/MacBook event in April, but the mac mini/mac pro are at this point not worth betting on at all, and I wouldn't be surprised at this point if the iPad Pro line remains untouched until October (at which point I suppose they'd get A11X chips, probably emerge in 10.5"/12.9" no-bezel sizes, ship with design language a lot like the rumored iPhone 8, and maaaaaybe come with 3D Touch).

I really like this new iPad. I think I might jump on it. Still have an iPad 2 and it's so heavy. I assume this is much lighter? And should have a significantly better screen which is nice.

Will wait and see on reviews though.

Jeffrey

Actually performance should be negligible with daily usage tasks.

Makes more sense to get a air 2 on clearance than the 2017 iPad.

Should have a better screen too.

This would be great to show at a keynote that also announced new iMacs, Mac minis, Mac Pros, and MacBook Pros with updated processors and 32 GB of RAM.

Instead my reaction to this is...

John Oliver: "Cool..."

That's not quite true. When the iPad Mini launched it was a smash hit selling more than the big iPad and the iPad Mini 2 was also projected to be a hit as well. The Nexus 7 outsold all other Google Android tablets, the Kindle Fire 7 continues to outsell the bigger Kindles. Part of the reason is the lower price but also part of the reason is as Tigress wrote: many people prefer the size.

Apple fucked over the iPad mini and didn't give it a fair chance. They raised the price of the iPad mini 2 and then iPad mini 3 was an insulting 'upgrade' with the only change the addition of TouchID. Google flat out stopped offering 7" tablets. Even Samsung with all their plethora of models doesn't bother. It's very frustrating.

maybe the 7" tablets don't have good margins?

Guess Who

Banned

Apple raised the price of the iPad mini 2 over the original because the original was a last-generation product compared to the contemporary 9.7" model and the iPad mini 2 was a same-generation product compared to the 9.7".

Apple - and everyone else - stopped putting so much effort into small tablets because they stopped selling, not because of missteps by the companies but because everyone started buying huge phones instead, which filled the "small tablet" niche for most people. It's not coincidence that the lackluster iPad mini 3 launched right after the iPhone 6 Plus became a thing.

Looks like the iPad wont be available to reach my hands until two weeks. Poor delivery dates with only standard shipping option on the Apple store webpage and physical and online stores lists it as available on 6-8 of April

I'll not order it then. will try and find it in a store in Vietnam or buy it when I get back home.

Shame. Would have been nice to have it for Netflix and Magazines offline on the trip.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple raised the price of the iPad mini 2 over the original because the original was a last-generation product compared to the contemporary 9.7" model and the iPad mini 2 was a same-generation product compared to the 9.7".

Apple - and everyone else - stopped putting so much effort into small tablets because they stopped selling, not because of missteps by the companies but because everyone started buying huge phones instead, which filled the "small tablet" niche for most people. It's not coincidence that the lackluster iPad mini 3 launched right after the iPhone 6 Plus became a thing.
?! Even now, the Kindle Fire 7 is still selling
You'll get your mini replacement when they make a 9.7" pro with no bezels.
Eh, the 9.7" Pro with no bezels is rumored to be 10.5". The 4.7" iPhone with no bezels is rumored to be 5.8". It doesn't seem Apple is removing bezels to create a smaller tablet but instead to fit in a bigger screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom