• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Pikelet

You can, there's an app called Astropad that does exactly that

Astropad just mirrors your mac screen, which comes with a huge amount of limitations:

-Requires you to own a Mac
-Requires you to be close to said Mac
-Slight latency
-Slight image compression

What it needs is a native Photoshop app that is designed around the touch interface and includes every feature of the desktop version.

Ohhhh shiiiit I have a feeling I'm about to make a bad decision.

The lag is probably a bummer but... Fuck. That's hard to resist.

Both the Apple Story and Best Buy have their holiday return policies in place (January 8th and January 15th, respectively) and no restocking fees. I don't think you'd be able to get a refund on the app, but that's a solid window to try it out and see if it works how you want it to

Astropad just mirrors your mac screen, which comes with a huge amount of limitations:

-Slight latency

What it needs is a native Photoshop app that is designed around the touch interface and includes every feature of the desktop version.

Huh, thanks for the info. Is there another app that offers similar functionality? I haven't used AstroPad myself, just had it recommended. And yes, I hope that the iPad Pro is a success so we can see stuff like a full native Photoshop app. I want there to be a market for actual pro apps in the App Store

Servbot24

Banned

-Slight latency

Agreed that Pro will need a very strong PS app (or at least one with full brush and layer functionality), but being close to my iMac is what I plan to do anyways - I'm fine with it being plugged in if it needs to be. iPad Pro is actually quite cost efficient vs a Cintiq (assuming the latency won't be too bad).

Agreed that Pro will need a very strong PS app (or at least one with full brush and layer functionality), but being close to my iMac is what I plan to do anyways - I'm fine with it being plugged in if it needs to be. iPad Pro is actually quite cost efficient vs a Cintiq (assuming the latency won't be too bad).

If it's Photoshop you want, why not a Surface Pro 4, with Core m3. Should be similar to the iPad Pro in terms of power and is fanless.

Chao

Have you ever used a Cintiq? The cursor can't keep up with fast strokes. they advertise them like "drawing in a canvas" but truth is they have pretty bad input lag and you always have to adjust to where the cursor is, which may not be where you think.

Ipad pro looks miles ahead in the videos I've seen so far. And the tilt function actually does something useful, which is not the case on Cintiqs, at least in my experience.

Definitely up for consideration if iPad Pro doesn't work out, though staying on Apple ecosystem would be ideal.

I can see how that's an issue, yeah. Not to mention the endless app support that won't be available on the Surface. In exchange you get all the power tools.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Instead of just saying "no photoshop, no go me" ask yourself what does photoshop do that other apps can't in your workflow.

I use photoshop for drawing concepts and occasional illustrations. I rarely use photos so any sketching drawing app will do as long as it's fast.

To me iPad pro might have a nice place during the ideation of a design. Concepts, sketches, on the go planning and group sessions.

It all comes down to how the Pencil performs. If It feels nicer than the Sp4 pen, the battery life, and simplicity might be too much for me to pass up. Esp since I already have a workstation with a cintiq.

I've used Photoshop on a surface pro, it's an ergonomic mess without a Bluetooth keyboard so it kinda ruins the point of a tablet imo. My perfect tablet would be an sp4 with some physical buttons ala cintiq companion but I don't see that happening. Sketchbook and mischief are great tablet art apps btw.

Shit I'm ranting lol

Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Didn't Adobe improve the touch support with the latest CC 2015 update?

Haven't tried it on a tablet lately so you could be right. Once the iPad pro comes out I'll see how the pencil compares the sp4 pen. My decision on which one to get pretty much rides on the feel of the styluses while drawing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Many desktop apps don't feel as nice on a tablet ie photoshop, or Zbrush unless you use a keyboard.

This is what I'm talking about https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5NRPk_7g4&feature=youtu.be

Instead of trying to make a tablet run desktop software, developers should try and make new applications that use touch/stylus effectively.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but there is a Bluetooth adapter for the typecover. I carry it with me in case I need to do Photoshop stuff on the road.

Future

Many desktop apps don't feel as nice on a tablet ie photoshop, or Zbrush unless you use a keyboard.

This is what I'm talking about https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5NRPk_7g4&feature=youtu.be

Instead of trying to make a tablet run desktop software, developers should try and make new applications that use touch/stylus effectively.

Microsoft would like developers to modify their desktop applications to be touch centric. They usually don't bother though, probably partially because apple isn't trying to merge touch into their desktops (apple is smart)

The problem with the other point of view is that developers may not ever put as much effort into that touch only application that has a smaller user base, making Mobile apps feel neutered compared to desktop counter parts.

I agree with you. I feel instead of anyone trying to make touch photoshop, people just need to design new apps that cater to the style of app you'd need on the go on a tablet. What do most people want to do when they grab their tablet? Probably want to supplement their workflow on a desktop somewhere. Design apps to do just enough where that becomes worth it, and leave the complex shit on the desktop

Haven't tried it on a tablet lately so you could be right. Once the iPad pro comes out I'll see how the pencil compares the sp4 pen. My decision on which one to get pretty much rides on the feel of the styluses while drawing.

The the new pen tip for the Surface pen is supposed to be great.
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...o-review-surface-book-settles-for-pen-instead

But I'm also very curious about the Apple stylus. While I'm not really convinced of the iPad Pro as a whole, it would surprise me if Apple didn't nail the stylus experience.

Doc Holliday

The the new pen tip for the Surface pen is supposed to be great.
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...o-review-surface-book-settles-for-pen-instead

But I'm also very curious about the Apple stylus. While I'm not really convinced of the iPad Pro as a whole, it would surprise me if Apple didn't nail the stylus experience.

Sp4 is better than the sp3 pen for sure. I just want to see if the Pencil is a game changer in tech. Honestly one of the things keeping me from getting the sp4 is the price of the Sku I want :/ also the type cover is a necessity with Windows, on a iOS you can get by without a keyboard so that's an extra 100 bucks.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I really wish Apple made this thing to compete with the Surface Pro 4. I think the SP4 is a really cool device, but as someone who is tired of Windows and made the conversion to a MacBook Pro, the device doesn't really interest me. Now if the iPad Pro was like the SP4, I would get it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I really wish Apple made this thing to compete with the Surface Pro 4. I think the SP4 is a really cool device, but as someone who is tired of Windows and made the conversion to a MacBook Pro, the device doesn't really interest me. Now if the iPad Pro was like the SP4, I would get it.
It will have 10 times as many apps and functions vs some big desktop apps missing. I can't think of a single desktop app I want, apart from a raw editor.

WillyFive

But it is. As an iPad, it already delivers a far, far better tablet experience; and they promise a better pen, better battery life, and upcoming apps for professional work.

It has downsides to the SP4, but it also has advantages, at a competitive price point.

Hatty

Apparently BHPhotos will ship tomorrow? Even if they dont charge tax I'd avoid them, they have pretty bad customer service and a terrible return policy

Ordered the 32GB wifi since I already have tethering on my iPhone plan, got in-store pickup today. No Pencils for pickup anywhere around here, which is really frustrating as it's the main reason I'm getting this iPad.

Ordered the 32GB wifi since I already have tethering on my iPhone plan, got in-store pickup today. No Pencils for pickup anywhere around here, which is really frustrating as it's the main reason I'm getting this iPad.

If they don't have any Pencils for purchase tomorrow I'm going to be so pissed

Top Bottom