• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Servbot24

Banned
Was going to order one but for some reason Pencil isn't available for over a week. The pencil is the whole reason of owning this, so I'm going to wait to buy it. Or maybe I'll walk into the Apple store and see if they have it.

Will give me a chance to read reviews, but unfortunately I'm guessing they'll all be "this isn't for a broad audience, what have you done Apple" which I don't really care about.

This is tempting me! I want to get back into oil painting, but I also want to keep my relationship and my rent deposit, LOL.

I wonder how long it would take for the investment earn back the money otherwise spent on oil painting supplies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
128GB Space Grey ordered for pickup today.

Don't forget to use your company or education benefits! Company benefits saved me a few dollars.

I can't do art, but I could try drawing stick figures for you guys on this thing.

Sirolf

Ordered the 32GB wifi since I already have tethering on my iPhone plan, got in-store pickup today. No Pencils for pickup anywhere around here, which is really frustrating as it's the main reason I'm getting this iPad.

Same as me.. 32 GB Space Grey wifi (France)

pubba

Hmm the 128GB model with wifi and Apple pencil will cost 7,616 RMB here in China. That's around US $1,195 or AU $1,695

I just called the local Apple store and they said to call back on Friday or Saturday, so I have a few days to think about it I guess...

Just checked the website and it's available to buy online now but won't be delivered till next Friday 20 November. Think I'll wait and try my luck at the store instead.

Servbot24

Banned
For artists buying the iPad Pro, I recommend checking out the Nomad carrying case: http://nomad-art-satchel.myshopify.com

getimage.aspx

It is intended for carrying traditional drawing tools, but it is the perfect size for iPad Pro, and they are currently working on an insert specifically for iPad Pro.

anybody buying this purely as a living room/sofa replacement for an ipad air? I.e for email/web/video?

It's up to your preferences of course, but it seems kind of extreme for a living room gadget.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's up to your preferences of course, but it seems kind of extreme for a living room gadget.

well you say living room gadget but its more than that really. My ipad air 2 is the thing that means I don't need to use my desktop in the spare room. I can do pretty much anything day to day on the ipad while not being isolated from the family. So email/web/video along with teamviewer for remotely accessing desktop/mac mini etc.

Pretty much the only thing I need to use the desktop for is for lightroom and photoshop. I was considering a surface pro 4 but at the moment neither a second PC or an ios device works well with Adobe's software.

NeonDelta

anybody buying this purely as a living room/sofa replacement for an ipad air? I.e for email/web/video?

me, being able to have two apps side by side was the killer feature for me, meaning I can have twitter up at the same time as watching sky sports etc..

What do you think of the UK pricing?

a bit too much, but my ipad 3 has lasted me 4 years and I expect this to do the same if not more, if they had released a new ipad Air I might have gone for that instead, but don't mind paying a bit more for the bigger screen and higher specs.

Majine

Banned
The Verge review

VERGE SCORE

GOOD STUFF
Large, beautiful display
Powerful processor
Precise stylus
Split-screen multitasking

BAD STUFF
It’s expensive
It’s really big
Overpriced accessory keyboard
Not quite a PC replacement

Weevilone

Blahh.. None available for pickup locally.

I started ordering for delivery Friday. By the time I finished adding a couple of Apple gift cards, shipping was already November 18-20. I had an alarm set for midnight Pacific but wasn't patient enough then.

Guess Who

Banned
Hold on to your butt. Geekbench from Ars:

0R9xPos.png

A9X is dual-core, which means we're looking at basically mobile Haswell i5 performance in a dual-core ARM chip.

pubba

Blahh.. None available for pickup locally.

I started ordering for delivery Friday. By the time I finished adding a couple of Apple gift cards, shipping was already November 18-20. I had an alarm set for midnight Pacific but wasn't patient enough then.

Similar thing happened to me on the apple china site. Started to go through checkout and delivery was next Friday 20 November, but by the time I finished the date was 3 December..

chadskin

That is one large iPad alright. Have to try this in person but I think it's too large for me. I wish they had updated the Air with some of the Pro features this year, in particular a new A9 chip, the keyboard connector and Pencil support.

Majine

Banned
Kinda sucks that Air will most likely lag one generation behind in terms of innards from here on out (And the Mini two generations).

Garou

Hold on to your butt. Geekbench from Ars:

0R9xPos.png

A9X is dual-core, which means we're looking at basically mobile Haswell i5 performance in a dual-core ARM chip.

A9X is triple core like the A8X or maybe even quad-core.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9615/apple-announces-the-ipad-mini-4
Inside the iPad Air 2 is Apple's most powerful chip to date, the A9X. According to Apple A9X is 1.8x faster than A8X at CPU tasks, and 2x faster at GPU tasks. Given that A8X was already the fastest ARM SoC in a mobile device this is quite an accomplishment, and is likely the result of architectural improvements, higher clock speeds, and possibly the addition of a fourth CPU core. We'll have to wait until we get our hands on the iPad Pro before any of this can be confirmed though. Apple also noted that A9X is built on a new "transistor architecture" which means it's being fabricated on either Samsung's 14nm or TSMC's 16nm FinFet process.

That is one large iPad alright. Have to try this in person but I think it's too large for me. I wish they had updated the Air with some of the Pro features this year, in particular a new A9 chip, the keyboard connector and Pencil support.

This is a much better comparison.

LBEdm33.jpg

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ugh I'm so tired of reading "I'm no artist but...." How hard is it to get a damn artist to try the iPad pro and give their opinion on the stylus.

I couldn't care less how it compares to the hundreds of shit iPad styluses. Tell me how it compares to a Wacom or surface pro.

Oh well as soon as I try one I'll give impressions.

Just breezed through David Pierce's video review...which seems oddly positive.

Makes me want to hunt down the Surface RT review, cause that's kind of what I'm thinking this is

Ugh I'm so tired of reading "I'm no artist but...." How hard is it to get a damn artist to try the iPad pro and give their opinion on the stylus.

I couldn't care less how it compares to the hundreds of shit iPad styluses. Tell me how it compares to a Wacom or surface pro.

Oh well as soon as I try one I'll give impressions.

Joanna did that in the WSJ review. The guy liked it better than the SP4 stylus, because it had less lag. But unlike the Surface, it still felt a bit too smooth on the glass and made tapping noises.

We were both surprised just how quickly he picked it up. In fact, Mike says it was “more natural to sketch and shade” on the iPad Pro than on his Mac’s Wacom tablet. He was impressed most by how the glass-and-pen combo could imitate his art-paper experience: the gentlest tilts of his watercolor brush, light shading with his pencil and deep presses with a flat marker all were lag free.

His only complaints: The pen slid a little too smoothly on the glass and made faint tapping sounds when in use. The Surface Pro 4’s pen was quieter and had more resistance but Mike said he far preferred Apple’s for speed and sensitivity.

According to Rick Rodriguez, aka Surface Pro Artist, the lag on the SP4 comes from the hovering cursor. Once its size is reduced or disabled entirely, it's pretty much lag free. It's still a compromise, though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wired gave it a 9/10 :)
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/apple-ipad-pro-review/

the iPad’s always had one key problem: It’s ill-suited to the work people do at work. The apps don’t do enough. The tablet isn’t powerful enough. The screen isn’t big enough.

All that’s changed with the iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro is plenty powerful, and it’s plenty big. But to call it “just a bigger iPad” is like calling the Millennium Falcon “just a bigger falcon.” In making it bigger, Apple made the iPad Pro different

APPLE IPAD PRO
9/10
WIRED
The screen is big and beautiful. This tablet is crazy fast. It still has the same battery life, performance, and great app selection as any iPad. With the accessories, the Pro becomes a do-everything sort of device.

TIRED
Its PC-killing visions imagine a world in which nobody lives. It's really big. The price gets high fast.
As expected, Apple totally nailed the Pencil.

Please dear client of mine, sign our deal, and I'm buying this beauty next week.

Doc Holliday

Joanna did that in the WSJ review. The guy liked it better than the SP4 stylus, because it had less lag. But unlike the Surface, it still felt a bit too smooth on the glass and made tapping noises.

We were both surprised just how quickly he picked it up. In fact, Mike says it was “more natural to sketch and shade” on the iPad Pro than on his Mac’s Wacom tablet. He was impressed most by how the glass-and-pen combo could imitate his art-paper experience: the gentlest tilts of his watercolor brush, light shading with his pencil and deep presses with a flat marker all were lag free.

His only complaints: The pen slid a little too smoothly on the glass and made faint tapping sounds when in use. The Surface Pro 4’s pen was quieter and had more resistance but Mike said he far preferred Apple’s for speed and sensitivity.

Awesome! Thank you. Sounds very promising.

Tomcat

The Verge review

VERGE SCORE

GOOD STUFF
Large, beautiful display
Powerful processor
Precise stylus
Split-screen multitasking

BAD STUFF
It’s expensive
It’s really big
Overpriced accessory keyboard
Not quite a PC replacement

Classic iverge review

She would take it on a business trip. Probably never need something like USB on her business trips. No mention on how it is when you place it on your lap this time verge?
Compare the surface review and this and you get the picture how biased they are.

Majine

Banned
Classic iverge review

She would take it on a business trip. Probably never need something like USB on her business trips. No mention on how it is when you place it on your lap this time verge?
Compare the surface review and this and you get the picture how biased they are.

Someone else reviews Surface Pro. She probably don't use it in her lap?

.hacked

Got one ordered for in store pickup.

Sold my iPad Air 1 back when I got my 12 Macbook Retina and have been iPadless for months, can't wait to play some Game of Thrones by Telltale on it.

Guess Who

Banned

The GPU performance in this thing in particular should be fucking embarrassing to Intel. That said, it's probably embarrassing to the whole industry according to that graph. Those are some stupidly impressive results. I almost wonder how it compares to some lower-end nVidia mobile chips.

Servbot24

Banned

According to Rick Rodriguez, aka Surface Pro Artist, the lag on the SP4 comes from the hovering cursor. Once its size is reduced or disabled entirely, it's pretty much lag free. It's still a compromise, though.

I bet the smoothness issue could be solved with a textured screen protector. Not sure if I would want to apply one though.

Doc Holliday

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/11/test-2/

Nice review video with focus on the pencil as an art tool.

I don't mind the glossiness, it means the nib won't wear out as much. Intuos 4 had a really textured surface and it would eat up pen nibs like crazy.

Wtf?? iPad ships in a few days but the pencil 3-5 weeks? Nice Apple -_-

giga

There's a nugget of truth there, but at the same time, everything is converging around stagnated battery technology.

While true, the A9X probably has a similar TDP to the Core M (<5W), and it's performing similarly to the i5 in CPU benches and outright crushing the Iris Pro (used only in 47W chips) in GPU benches.

Top Bottom