• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

bionic77

Intel should be ashamed.

iPad-Pro-charts.003-980x735.png

iPad-Pro-charts.009-980x735.png
WTF is wrong with Intel?

With how stagnant their CPUs are getting I feel like my iPhone 8S is going to be faster than my laptop.

LCfiner

Gruber's review dives deep on keyboard controls and finds iOS 9.1 wanting in that area. Definitely seems like an area of improvement for a 9.x release.

Meh3D

While true, the A9X probably has a similar TDP to the Core M (<5W), and it's performing similarly to the i5 in CPU benches and outright crushing the Iris Pro (used only in 47W chips) in GPU benches.

Well the GPU is IP from a GPU company (Imagination Tech.) Intel it's not a GPU company. Their purpose with their GPU is to just make them good enough to keep vendors from buying AMD/NVidia GPUs. Not defending their shitty behavior. Intel is not crying at night. They virtually killed GPUs in all but the more expensive notebooks even though the GPUs they replaced were more capable.

However, these are benchmarks that aren't inclusive of what the x86 CPUs or GPUs can do. what I take from these benchmarks is that if the iPad Pro had an Intel chip in it with the same limited software it runs now it would probably not perform much better. However, just like the ARM IP has special functions for task so does Intel so it's still not accurate.

Speaking of which, I was going to buy one (available for pick up) to play with see if I like it. No damn pencil available which was the whole point. (Tee he)

Just picked mine up from the 5th Ave store. They didn't have any keyboard cases or pencils available but I overheard someone say they have them in the back and that they should be available this week.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just picked mine up from the 5th Ave store. They didn't have any keyboard cases or pencils available but I overheard someone say they have them in the back and that they should be available this week.

Nice!!
Did they have them on the demo units?

giga

Well the GPU is IP from a GPU company (Imagination Tech.) Intel it's not a GPU company. Their purpose with their GPU is to just make them good enough to keep vendors from buying AMD/NVidia GPUs. Not defending their shitty behavior. Intel is not crying at night. They virtually killed GPUs in all but the more expensive notebooks even though the GPUs they replaced were more capable.

However, these are benchmarks that aren't inclusive of what the x86 CPUs or GPUs can do. what I take from these benchmarks is that if the iPad Pro had an Intel chip in it with the same limited software it runs now it would probably not perform much better. However, just like the ARM IP has special functions for task so does Intel so it's still not accurate.

Speaking of which, I was going to buy one (available for pick up) to play with see if I like it. No damn pencil available which was the whole point. (Tee he)

I don't buy it. Of course there will be differences in architecture, but Geekbench has been standardized to take advantage of both and gfxbench is a standard OpenGL benchmark. There's no doubt that Intel has been stagnant in making year over year performance jumps. I will give them credit that they have been making strides with Iris though.

btkadams

Wait a second... Is there no iOS 9.2 beta for iPad Pro? I don't see it on the dev site.. How will I do an iCloud restore to the new iPad pro if my backup is from an iPad 3 with 9.2?

mcfrank

Can anyone on the East Coast confirm if their store has pencils or covers? Seems like most don't, but 3-4 week ship time makes me not really excited to get the iPad if I won't have a cover for it.

Can anyone on the East Coast confirm if their store has pencils or covers? Seems like most don't, but 3-4 week ship time makes me not really excited to get the iPad if I won't have a cover for it.

They don't have pencils or keyboard cases anywhere within driving distance of NYC as far as I can tell. But it seems likely that they'll be there by the end of the week.

Servbot24

Banned
I think I'll skip the keyboard for now, and hope that a better one comes out. Seems like 3rd parties should be able to do better than Apple's.

Doc Holliday

Why is Apple so good, is that a money, R&D thing?

I'm very surprised actually.

This is their first time using developing stylus tech.

They didn't go to a third party like Wacom.

The iPad hardware didn't get bigger other than the screen size.

Meh3D

I don't buy it. Of course there will be differences in architecture, but Geekbench has been standardized to take advantage of both and gfxbench is a standard OpenGL benchmark. There's no doubt that Intel has been stagnant in making year over year performance jumps. I will give them credit that they have been making strides with Iris though.

What exactly is standard here? Better yet, what software runs according to this standard? I'm not on Intel or Apples side. I'm against these "standardized" benchmarks. They're nothing but marketing tools. You don't design for benchmarks. I believe they themselves hinder innovation. Now if you like them or believe they give you purpose, more power to you. I argue against them giving any definitive answer here. I say Intels GPUs are lackluster because Intel commits the bare minimum based on actual software, driver support, and their API support.

Working in software I say the benchmark to my software, is my software. Bringing it back to the iPad Pro, I'm curious about it however I don't think the software is really there yet. I'm confident Apple will gave it the hardware it needs. Though I think I'm coming to the point where I want a desktop like interface when it comes to apps if I'm to upgrade my from my iPad Air 2.

dc89

mNVSRrz.png

I have to agree with Mossberg on this one. Not everyone knows the shortcuts. Sure you may say the iPad Pro is a Pro device for Pro users but we all know that isn't going to be the case, people from all walks of life will buy this thing.

Servbot24

Banned
mNVSRrz.png

I have to agree with Mossberg on this one. Not everyone knows the shortcuts. Sure you may say the iPad Pro is a Pro device for Pro users but we all know that isn't going to be the case, people from all walks of life will buy this thing.

The average consumer presses Cmd + S and other such key combinations without difficulty. I think they'll be fine.

Doc Holliday

I still can't believe that you have to wait a month for the Pencil. I mean it is the number selling point for the iPad pro for the demographic they've been catering to since the announcement.

Danchi

mNVSRrz.png

I think it's the way he words it in the review that is confusing:

"It&#8217;s essentially a shallow Mac keyboard, with keys like Command that mean something only in Mac OS X, but not a single shortcut key to an iPad function, like Home or Search."

The fact that he mentions the Command key doesn't make it seem like he's talking about dedicated function keys (like F3 for Expose or whatever).

giga

What exactly is standard here? Better yet, what software runs according to this standard? I'm not on Intel or Apples side. I'm against these "standardized" benchmarks. They're nothing but marketing tools. You don't design for benchmarks. I believe they themselves hinder innovation. Now if you like them or believe they give you purpose, more power to you. I argue against them giving any definitive answer here. I say Intels GPUs are lackluster because Intel commits the bare minimum based on actual software, driver support, and their API support.

Working in software I say the benchmark to my software, is my software. Bringing it back to the iPad Pro, I'm curious about it however I don't think the software is really there yet. I'm confident Apple will gave it the hardware it needs. Though I think I'm coming to the point where I want a desktop like interface when it comes to apps if I'm to upgrade my from my iPad Air 2.
For gfxbench, OpenGL powers many GPU-bound things. For CPU, geekbench is more of a synthetic benchmark, so it's not really based on a software you would run on a device, but rather a raw processing power comparison tool. Some of the tasks it runs are based on real world scenarios, like compression and decryption. I think there's value in both types of benchmarks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
lol, at this pace I can see that Apple will someday put their own chips in their Macs.

That's actually been the rumor for s long time. No doubt there are some cool products in their R&D lab.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gruber's review dives deep on keyboard controls and finds iOS 9.1 wanting in that area. Definitely seems like an area of improvement for a 9.x release.

Great review and goes into lots of detail on what Apple needs to make iOS more usable with a keyboard. If I bought one, I think I would buy just the iPad and Smart Cover, as I'd prefer to use the software keyboard wih the screen in my lap if I have to touch the screen anyway. Then maybe look at getting the keyboard as a dock (or a 3rd party one) when keyboard support improves.

McHuj

A lot of people think this'll happen eventually, but seeing those crazy scores it may happen sooner than later.

Wow at those scores.

I think a lot depends on how far along a potential desktop chip is. They can probably provide a sufficient chip for Macbooks, but I'm don't know if they can do it for iMac yet.

I don't see them splintering OSX into one for laptops and one for desktops.

Guess Who

Banned
By the way, for those a bit skeptical of the A9X Geekbench scores (I know, for instance, there's some controversy about A* chips having bloated scores on SHA1/SHA2 that make the score seem inflated), here's a test-by-test comparison between an A9X and a current-gen Broadwell i5 MacBook Air.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/4149721?baseline=4074053

Intel has hardware-accelerated AES and A9X has SHA1/SHA2, so they stomp each other in those categories, but otherwise they trade blows and are very close, with the Air edging it out.

Top Bottom