• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

I hate how long it takes to restore from iCloud in my office. It's been stuck at less than 1 minute for what feels like at least an hour.

So is this the Surface killer?

Apple's engineering is very impressive. An A9X chip as fast as a Core i5-i7 and a superior pen from its first iteration. Apple is definitely not messing around.

As a Wacom Cintiq owner I am super interested to see Youtube drawing demos with the pencil. I didn't like drawing on the iPad even tried most of the major styluses.

Servbot24

Banned
As a Wacom Cintiq owner I am super interested to see Youtube drawing demos with the pencil. I didn't like drawing on the iPad even tried most of the major styluses.
Yeah this is the main thing I want to see, as well as what will be the essential painting app for illustrators, comic artists and concept artists.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah this is the main thing I want to see, as well as what will be the essential painting app for illustrators, comic artists and concept artists.

The usual app for that on iOS is Procreate, which was recently updated with iPad Pro and Pencil support (and was one of the apps Apple put on iPad Pro test demos at the announcement, Adobe Max, etc).

I'm in the Pasadena store in LA right now and they're already out of stock on the space grey and gold (what's the deal with people and the color gold!? geez...) 128 wifi ones, mostly from pre-orders which is understandable. I did manage to get a silver one so that's nice and since I'll be putting it in a case most of the time anyway it's not a big deal. still waiting for it right now since they're a little busy.

and yeah, no demo units and no pencils or keyboard covers in stock right now, and very limited amount of cases.

edit: jut got mine, setting it up right now.

God damn it, it's been an hour and my iCloud restoration has gone from less than a minute to about 2 minutes! Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave!

I'm in the Pasadena store in LA right now and they're already out of stock on the space grey and gold (what's the deal with people and the color gold!? geez...) 128 wifi ones, mostly from pre-orders which is understandable. I did manage to get a silver one so that's nice and since I'll be putting it in a case most of the time anyway it's not a big deal. still waiting for it right now since they're a little busy.

edit: jut got mine, setting it up right now.

I really like the look of gold on Apple devices but I'm not a fan of the white front. I wonder if a gold iPhone/iPad with a black front would look good or just gaudy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God damn it, it's been an hour and my iCloud restoration has gone from less than a minute to about 2 minutes! Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave!

I really like the look of gold on Apple devices but I'm not a fan of the white front. I wonder if a gold iPhone/iPad with a black front would look good or just gaudy.

When you've finished restoring, use your fancy new creative productivity tool and do a photoshop mockup. I think it'd look quite nice

When you've finished restoring, use your fancy new creative productivity tool and do a photoshop mockup. I think it'd look quite nice

s778481183918088934_p220_i38_w640.jpeg

trying it out as I setup the thing, the sound is SO much better! (of course I was still using an iPad3 before so the leap was noticeably big)

dork

Banned
Walked into bestbuy. Asked if they had them in. The girl had to go to the back, said they were back there not one person had asked about them all day. I was there at hour and a half after opening.

Cant wait to open this bad boy

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wonder if the size means you'll naturally use it in landscape mode more often than portrait, which might also mean using the side by side/slideover more than you might with iPad Air? Curious how people will settle on using it - I tend to rest my iPad Air 2 in portrait on my leg while sitting on the sofa which feels comfortable

Walked into bestbuy. Asked if they had them in. The girl had to go to the back, said they were back there not one person had asked about them all day. I was there at hour and a half after opening.

Cant wait to open this bad boy

I doubt they do, but any idea if they had pencils or keyboard cases?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so for all the shit the press (and anti-fans) dished on this thing, the reality ends up being that Apple built a helluva piece of hardware.

figures.

dork

Banned
I doubt they do, but any idea if they had pencils or keyboard cases?

I didn't see any, but again they didn't have anything out yet.

so for all the shit the press (and anti-fans) dished on this thing, the reality ends up being that Apple built a helluva piece of hardware.

figures.

What shit are they getting other than the price? That's the only complaint I have seen.

I need to find a case now! Dang it

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The skepticism has always been more about the software than the hardware.

I've ALWAYS viewed iOS (at least when the first steps of multi-tasking went in) as more of a chicken and egg thing.

"I don't use iOS to create because there are no good creation tools"

"We don't develop creation tools for iOS because no one creates with it"

I mean there are enough single threaded workflows out there that you could do SOME creation with iOS.. and even the rudimentary multi-process workflow capabilities apple added way back can be used in some very basic multi-threaded workflows. iPad Pro opens a lot of that up, but it still needs that one (or two, or three) development company to release a feature-complete creation app to get the ball rolling.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

figures.

Most of the shit was focused on the software, and that is being upheld in reviews. The size is nice for productivity but iOS isn't. Needs better keyboard support (see gruber's review for a detailed breakdown), and/or mouse support. Also clearly needs better side-by-side functionality (drag and drop between panes, multiple instances of an app so you can have two safari or word windows next to each other, better app discovery for the right pane - that list view is already frustrating and most apps don't support it yet)

I've ALWAYS viewed iOS (at least when the first steps of multi-tasking went in) as more of a chicken and egg thing.

I mean there are enough single threaded workflows out there that you could do SOME creation with iOS.. and even the rudimentary multi-process workflow capabilities apple added way back can be used in some very basic multi-threaded workflows. iPad Pro opens a lot of that up, but it still needs that one (or two, or three) development company to release a feature-complete creation app to get the ball rolling.

I wonder how much it would cost them to convince Adobe to make an iOS version of Photoshop. I feel like that's the milestone a device needs to pass to be considered a professional tool for many people.

The main thing I see holding things back is the App Stores current pricing conventions. I don't know if the type of Apps that need to be there can charge prices that can be sustainable. I suppose the solution if for stuff to be subscription based like the Adobe does.

I would love, love, love, for it to work out though.

I've been debating trading out my Air for a Pro. The chip scores aren't that impressive to me as it seems like they are all single threaded.

Having a high quality GPU and Metal is where this thing is going to be interesting.

Intel's big leap is going to come from what its doing with 3D XPoint

MercuryLS

Banned
The completely fanless macbook running on A10X chips is getting more real every single day.

I can't fucking wait.

Yup. I almost don't want to buy the 2016 MacBook 12 knowing that ARM macs with OSX is practically an inevitability. The hard part is going to be 3rd party software, everything is coded to x86-64. How are they going to get these programs over to ARM macs? Or are they going to get these companies to port their iOS apps with a M/KB optimized interface (could be kludgy).

What the hell? The iCloud restore finally finished and now when I slide the screen on the "slide to upgrade" screen I get a black rectangle, then the apple logo and then it brings me back to the "slide to upgrade." Tim Cook has ruined this company.

Shun

Isn't the guy who made the iPad Pro flop thread the same guy who went into the iPhone 6S thread just to shit it up and say that it was practically the same phone as the 5 or 6 and that it was a waste?

The iPad Pro looks great in my opinion.

Edit: Yes he is.

bionic77

Yup. I almost don't want to buy the 2016 MacBook 12 knowing that ARM macs with OSX is practically an inevitability. The hard part is going to be 3rd party software, everything is coded to x86-64. How are they going to get these programs over to ARM macs? Or are they going to get these companies to port their iOS apps with a M/KB optimized interface (could be kludgy).
They seemed to make the switch to x86 without missing a beat.

Guess Who

Banned

Everything's not "coded to x86-64," it's generally coded in Objective-C, making porting from x86 Macs to ARM Macs a simple recompile in many cases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder how much it would cost them to convince Adobe to make an iOS version of Photoshop. I feel like that's the milestone a device needs to pass to be considered a professional tool for many people.

Adobe has a couple of Photoshop apps coming out which sync up with any edits you're doing on the desktop version. I doubt anyone would expect to be able to do their entire photoshop workflow on an iPad, no matter how pro, so I think syncing up with a desktop version is the best we'll see. Key there is how smooth the syncing is, and how beneficial the larger screen and pencil is.

btkadams

This thing is BEAUTIFUL. This is a serious upgrade from my old iPad 3. Multitasking is effortless. I haven't noticed any lag yet.

I wish I could have bought the keyboard and pencil though.mthis launch is weird.

CaLe

So I got an iPad Air... How much of an improvement would this be other than the big screen ? We mostly use it to browse the web... So no photoshop.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So I got an iPad Air... How much of an improvement would this be other than the big screen ? We mostly use it to browse the web... So no photoshop.

Probably little to none. The size of the Pro makes it not ideal for casual daily media consumption, is my guess. Just too big.

btkadams

Running two instances of an app in split view would definitely be an improvement (one safari window on each side for example).

Although, you CAN run safari on the left and Chrome on the right and basically get that experience until it's properly supported.

Top Bottom