• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace

doing photo retouching you'll want to be importing raw files, sorting and working on them, then exporting to HDD. You're also likely to be backing things up to external HDDs or NAS. I just think an iPad with no USB port and no support for importing raw files is to going to be the primary device for that. And only 128GB on the top end will be used up super quick. I think adobes approach seems sensible in that regard. By all means have the full photoshop tools available to use, but the original files to be worked on will reside elsewhere (NAS/cloud storage is fine for backups but not fast enough for instantly accessing your catalogue)

Now that can be considered a limitation of the hardware, but I think people understand that's how iPad is, so they wouldn't expect major changes. Therefore you would likely consider it a companion device for such work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably little to none. The size of the Pro makes it not ideal for casual daily media consumption, is my guess. Just too big.

Sitting on my sofa now with my iPad Air 2 in landscape on my lap. It basically fills the same field of view as my 50" TV 8-9ft away. So I think you might be right - as much as I'm imagining how great the larger screen will be for watching video, it might actually be too big

But the ram is great so definitely worth considering getting an iPad Air 2

Oxn

Sitting on my sofa now with my iPad Air 2 in landscape on my lap. It basically fills the same field of view as my 50" TV 8-9ft away. So I think you might be right - as much as I'm imagining how great the larger screen will be for watching video, it might actually be too big

But the ram is great so definitely worth considering getting an iPad Air 2

I made a cutout using a legal size paper, and even with no depth it feels rediculously big

Almost comical

Still though, i always get tech envy

Guess Who

Banned
doing photo retouching you'll want to be importing raw files, sorting and working on them, then exporting to HDD. You're also likely to be backing things up to external HDDs or NAS. I just think an iPad with no USB port and no support for importing raw files is to going to be the primary device for that.

Lack of RAW support is totally a software feature and honestly one I fully expect Apple to address at some point if they are honestly serious about iPad photography. They already make hardware to import photos over USB or SD card to an iPad, so getting RAW files to the iPad won't be a problem. iOS 8/9's support for document services makes exporting them to other destinations or to a NAS completely possible.

So would this be an option for easy correction/annotation of PDFs?

I have to read/correct/revise a lot of papers for students and colleagues. Often I just print them, scribble on them, scan them and return them as PDF. Alternatively, I sometimes directly annotate their files, but I hate that it takes a dozen clicks to just place a small correction.

Would a iPad pro with a pencil be suitable for this? How would I manage files? My main device is a macbook air, but it'd be nice to correct stuff slouching on the couch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So would this be an option for easy correction/annotation of PDFs?

I have to read/correct/revise a lot of papers for students and colleagues. Often I just print them, scribble on them, scan them and return them as PDF. Alternatively, I sometimes directly annotate their files, but I hate that it takes a dozen clicks to just place a small correction.

Would a iPad pro with a pencil be suitable for this? How would I manage files? My main device is a macbook air, but it'd be nice to correct stuff on the couch.

I don't see why not. I think it would work perfectly.

But it seems like a rather limited use of a 700$ tablet.

You'd have to switch every mac to that then wouldn't you? Or would we go back to using something like Rosetta?

I think you do that transition with OS11. That would make the distinction more obvious.

The problem with using an emulation layer here, is that the performance gains aren't huge like last time. x86 was so much faster than those creaky old G4's that there was plenty of headroom for emulation. Apple is just going to have to get Devs on board with writing new Apps. Swift will probably help the transition.

I don't see why not. I think it would work perfectly.

But it seems like a rather limited use of a 700$ tablet.

Hey, it would be a nice new gadget as well! (And it's >900 euro here...).

If there are alternatives (with very low latency and high resolution) I'd be happy to hear about them.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hey, it would be a nice new gadget as well! (And it's >900 euro here...).

If there are alternatives (with very low latency and high resolution) I'd be happy to hear about them.

I think in terms of pencil 'feel' and latency, the iPad pro is currently the one to beat. Reviews seem to be delighted with the pencil performance.

Squozen

Well, I ordered mine last night, there goes the best part of $2k (thanks, Australian dollar!). I have to say this is the most shambolic product launch I've seen from Apple for years. Australian pricing was only revealed yesterday when the US knew their prices for weeks, and the pencil won't be shipping until early-mid December. This really feels like a soft launch from a company that's either stretching their resources too far or don't believe this product will be successful on the scale they need.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think in terms of pencil 'feel' and latency, the iPad pro is currently the one to beat. Reviews seem to be delighted with the pencil performance.
The 6S screen could very well be the second best screen on the market for handwriting. I urge you to try the latest Evernote note taking update. It leverages the 3D Touch screen and the result is unbelievable, even with a mere finger. No latency whatsoever.

Hatty

So how do normal iPad apps look on the higher res screen? Is it an iPhone 6 Plus situation where everything looks huge?

This is a much better comparison.

LBEdm33.jpg

Oh God they're limiting icons to 4-in-a-row on a display this big!?
The spacing between them looks terrible.

Walked into bestbuy. Asked if they had them in. The girl had to go to the back, said they were back there not one person had asked about them all day. I was there at hour and a half after opening.

Exact same story here, but much later in the day..

Walked in at 1:30pm and asked for one. They were in the back, and no one had asked about them all day. Bought a 32gb Wifi model. They had no accessories in stock, no keyboards or pencils..

Weevilone

Exact same story here, but much later in the day..

Walked in at 1:30pm and asked for one. They were in the back, and no one had asked about them all day. Bought a 32gb Wifi model. They had no accessories in stock, no keyboards or pencils..

Locally they're available like that at Best Buy, but not if you want LTE models or 128GB models.

Meh3D

I have a couple of questions for anyone that has one.

I'm curious about typing (without the keyboard.) I type on my iPad Air 2 in landscape on my lap which I find pretty acceptable. How does the keyboard look like when you have the iPad Pro in your landscape? (Screen capture?) how does it look like when it's in landscape mode?

Has anyone actually been able to purchase the pen?

So whoever has this can you comment on how good the sound is? I probably won't get this but hoping that some features like 4 speakers and Pencil support trickle down to the normal iPad

Almost definitely.

Besides the fact we don't even know if they will refresh the iPad Pro next year, the other issue is that we don't know if 3D Touch will work on a screen that size that's also packing the hardware to work with the Pencil. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no 3D Touch on the Pro.

Also, placed my order for the 128GB Wifi model last Friday, hoping it comes in by Friday at the latest!! I'm way more excited than I thought I'd be, but I think this device has the potential to completely change how I use my computing devices at home (hopefully way less time spent at my desk).

What?? They went the subscription model for an app? Boo!

Not cheap either, Adobe cc photoshop plus Lightroom is 10 dollars a month :/

Well, the alternative is a Surface Pro and CATIA with the sketcher module, which is way more than the 15/month.
Read more = factor several 10s (based on the package)

There is also a basic version for free if you just want to sketch something and happy with pngs.

Meh3D

I need to stop spending money and being Apple's beta tester (Apple TV.) However, I'd buy one if someone took my iPad Air 2 w/ 128GB and Apple Care off my hands. :D

Also noticed Replay has updated their apps. Best App purchase I've made for the iPad Air 2. Really takes advantage of the hardware. I haven't seen any updates from Grafio (an awesome app I have on my iPad/iPhone.) Grafio is another App that could be made awesome on the iPad Pro only because of the smart pen. Though to be honest, these apps would be awesome on the iPad Air 2 with a legit pen (not the current nubs.) Doesn't have to be as fancy as the Apple pencil.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I got the 128GB Space Grey model. It's way bigger than I felt it would be. No pencil and smart keyboard for a month either in Canada. It's awkward to use in bed because of it's size. The speakers are really good though.

I got the 128GB Space Grey model. It's way bigger than I felt it would be. No pencil and smart keyboard for a month either in Canada. It's awkward to use in bed because of it's size. The speakers are really good though.

I know what you mean :p

I ordered one - a bit concerned that it might be too big for regular use. May just stick with my Air 2.

Well I wasn't able to get one today like I thought it would. Stuff just fell through, unfortunately. Will pick it up in-store with a Pencil hopefully within the next week

What?? They went the subscription model for an app? Boo!

Not cheap either, Adobe cc photoshop plus Lightroom is 10 dollars a month :/

Would love to know why Apple hasn't fixed this after al these years

I think any App that wants to make serious business-class money is going to have to go to subscriptions on iOS, simply because no one is going to spend hundreds of dollars on an iPad App. It sucks, but that's the bed we get to lie in.

Top Bottom