• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's nice but you can do this with an iPad Air 2...

This is what I hated about The Verge's review. She talks about "multitasking" like it's a feature only available on the iPad Pro.

News flash: it's not.
The more screen surface you have, the more relevent this feature becomes. It also exists on iPad mini, but it's most likely not as useful.

btkadams

Why do you use mobile GAF. Is it better?
I like the refresh button at the bottom of pages that checks for new posts. Otherwise yeah they're basically the same, except the desktop version looks a bit nicer on bigger screens IMO.

Apple stores need to work on their customer management. Picking up an order should really take maybe 5 minutes. Dudes keep gathering in circles and poking at iPads.

.hacked

My last iPad was the 1st iPad Air and this is a major upgrade in every way. Have not touched my laptop since I got my iPad Pro yesterday morning (save for syncing my music). I remember the Telltale game chugging on my iPad Air and they run much smoother now, still the occasional performance hitch but think that is more the game engine then the hardware. With the bigger screen having much easier time with the on screen controls in games like Goat Simulator, just a much bigger area to move your thumb around and not block your view.

Battery life is good after a day of use playing games and watching vids was still over 40%. Everything loads faster, iPad no longer crashes on certain website or on threads with lots of pictures.

Only downsides are the price and the size. I can see this being a bit too expensive for a tablet and might be a bit heavy (feel lighter then my original 1st gen ipad).

I love it, feel it is the ultimate device for iOS gaming. Back to Game of Thrones!

NeonDelta

The battery life is excellent, been using it for about 3 or 4 hours, surfing, tweeting, watching YouTube, and it's only gone down 30%

Animator

I love that in all the pen latency slow mo videos they are using one note on surface pro which is a vector drawing app vs raster drawing apps on ipad. It is apples and oranges really.

I love that in all the pen latency slow mo videos they are using one note on surface pro which is a vector drawing app vs raster drawing apps on ipad. It is apples and oranges really.

For someone who has no idea what you're talking about, what does this mean exactly?

Skyzard

Banned
I've wanted an iPad since the original release but have held out on picking one up for myself, waiting for some serious specs and when I just can't resist. Pro sounds good...but specs kinda underwhelm, even though I don't know how the processor compares...drive space and camera...they can do better, they should be doing better.

I reckon I'll wait for some seriously hi-tech and sleek, more open os tablets still.

How much could the screen sensitivity really cost them, you're buying the $99 pencil separately anyway right, and it doesn't even slide into the ipad from what I can see...

Katori

I've wanted an iPad since the original release but have held out on picking one up for myself, waiting for some serious specs and when I just can't resist. Pro sounds good...but specs kinda underwhelm, even though I don't know how the processor compares...drive space and camera...they can do better, they should be doing better.

I reckon I'll wait for some seriously hi-tech and sleek, more open os tablets still.

How much could the screen sensitivity really cost them, you're buying the $99 pencil separately anyway right, and it doesn't even slide into the ipad from what I can see...
The processor is one of the best mobile processors out there right now. Even beats the pants off of some recent MBAs in single-core and GPU performance.

What benefits of an "open OS" do you expect to take advantage of?

Skyzard

Banned
The processor is one of the best mobile processors out there right now. Even beats the pants off of some recent MBAs in single-core and GPU performance.

What benefits of an "open OS" do you expect to take advantage of?

Okay, good about the processor.
Although about their MBAs of late, I felt like they were scaling back on the tech advances, wasn't all that impressed with how I had been when they went from gen to gen before, though I guess they did make decent enough advances quickly so they could get away with it, I was just hoping they'd still push more. Shit gets bloated and they went nuts with resolutions.

Open OS - mostly so I can move my files about freely, use it as a storage device, for backing up individual things. Same reason I've been going android OS with smartphones recently. 99.9% of the running time it's fine and not needed, but sometimes I get in a tough spot and won't have a solution on iOS, and I worry it could be a shit hitting the fan moment.
If I'm using something as a computer replacement, which I probably would more with a tablet than a phone, I can imagine running into that more.

Basically I want an irresistible iPad or tablet. It's a tough demand with my phone and pc being good and not having unlimited funds... but commoon.

It's nice but you can do this with an iPad Air 2...

This is what I hated about The Verge's review. She talks about "multitasking" like it's a feature only available on the iPad Pro.

Can't speak to the Verge review, but the Split View is much more useful on the iPad Pro. In landscape orientation it's the size of two iPad Airs in portrait mode side by side. And as you can see from that screenshot, the video PiP overlays are much less likely to get in the way with the screen real estate on the Pro.

Yes a better test would be loading up sketchbook pro on both and doing the test on that.

Literally every review and impression I've read has said the iPad Pro/Pencil combo has less input lag than the Surface/Pen. So what would the video you're asking for prove? Just exactly how wide the gulf between the two are?

It seems silly. Either way, the iPad Pro is ahead in this category.

As a digital designer it is disappointing that it seems ios won't be useful for my workflow any time soon. I'm working in photoshop with smart objects and masks and connecting to ftp servers to import graphics and photos. It doesn't seem there's anything close to a full illustrator vector creation product either. I need to be able to manipulate photos, create clipping masks, edit shape points' curves, add layer effects, etc. I would also kill for an iPad Pro version of Premiere.

I think all of that stuff will be there in the future, though, and that makes me excited. Ofcourse there's always apps like Duet that let you use the iPad as a third screen, so there's that.

If only I could draw...

Animator

Literally every review and impression I've read has said the iPad Pro/Pencil combo has less input lag than the Surface/Pen. So what would the video you're asking for prove? Just exactly how wide the gulf between the two are?

Sure if you are not interested in accuracy and just want to wank to how much the apple pencil is better in inaccurate tests.

I make my living doing this stuff so I am interested in accuracy.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I'm very excited about the Ipad Pro and Pencil but you can't say its ahead at this point because none of the reviews are technical enough regarding the testing. For example a default file size on ipad pro might be faster than an SP4 runnung at 9 x 12" at 400 dpi file.

Also different apps are slower or faster for example Mischief runs circles around photoshop or sketchbook pro on an SP4 in terms of speed but it's rarely ever used in tests.

The one thing the Ipad pro has over any other pen tech i've used is the tilt sensing tech, it looks very natural to draw with the side of the pencil. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

That dredd drawing video has some of the most natural drawing i've seen from digital media and I've been using Wacoms since 1995.

SzOyf5R.jpg

Finally an iPad larger than my penis 👌🏻

Fits perfectly in my briefcase, hardly notice the weight unlike my MacBook Pro. Nice.

Mac, you went with white? I thought you were better than this.

I like my tablets like my women; thin, white, gaudy and overpriced.

As an aside I saw probably 8 people getting iPad pros while I waited at the store. More than I thought.

Hatty

Let's get some wallpapers going in here 😉
I haven't had much luck finding wallpapers. But if you have a mac the standard OS X wallpapers are 5K now so they look pretty good on the iPad, and it's pretty easy to extract them.

iPad Pro's Lightning Port Supports USB 3.0 Transfer Speeds, New Adapters in the Works

Support for USB 3.0 speeds is notable because the Lightning port on current iPads and iPhones can only transfer data at around 25 to 35MB/s, which is USB 2.0 speed. At USB 3.0 speeds, data transfers would be upwards of 60MB/s and up to 625MB/s. USB 3.0-style speeds for data transfers over Lightning have been rumored to be coming to Apple devices for several years now, but have thus far not materialized.

Both Stein and Carlson have pointed towards the upcoming release of new adapters that will enable the faster file transfers, but a release timeline is not yet clear. It is also not known if Apple plans on introducing new Lightning cables that will enable USB 3.0 speeds when transferring files from a computer to an iPad Pro.

Tests conducted by readers on the MacRumors forums and on Reddit with existing Lightning cables and accessories are only transferring files to the iPad Pro at USB 2.0 speeds, indicating new hardware is required to take advantage of the iPad Pro's updated Lightning Port.

BruceCLea

Banned
Got my hands on one today. It's very big, but once you have it in your hands things become relative. The weight of the thing is well distributed, making it feel quite light.

I'm not an artist, but playing around with the pencil is wonderful. It's so responsive and useful. I imagine having the iPad Pro on my lap with a keyboard and using the pencil to navigate the net, apps, etc. I have horrific handwriting, but writing notes was really fun and my handwriting actually looked cool. Ha.

The display is also stunning and the sound is great.

My main problems: there's still that sound vibration thing that happened in the Air 2 when turning the volume up. The keyboard cover by Apple sucks. (will wait for a good alternative)

I know this will never happen, but man, I wish this thing ran some form of OSX.

Ambient80

Just messed around with one at Apple Store. That screen is incredible. Just damn, so sharp and bright. The device itself is huge, but holding it in either portrait or landscape it felt balanced mostly. Pencil felt really nice. It really does have a tiny amount of input lag, barely if at all noticeable. If I didn't have a rMBP I would be looking at buying one. Right now tho I just don't have a reason to.

bionic77

Is this a suitable old person iPad replacement?

My dads birthday is coming up and I was wondering if he would like the bigger size (had a Air 1)? Or is too big to browse the web and answer emails and send texts?

Is this a suitable old person iPad replacement?

My dads birthday is coming up and I was wondering if he would like the bigger size (had a Air 1)? Or is too big to browse the web and answer emails and send texts?

It's fine for me but I can see how some people would think it's too big to use like a smaller iPad.

bionic77

It's fine for me but I can see how some people would think it's too big to use like a smaller iPad.
He generally likes bigger screens. I will take him to the Apple Store in January and see what he thinks.

I have never been a fan of the iPad for myself but it's the greatest thing ever for me nonetheless because all of my tech illiterate family members have one and since they got it they never call me over for anything anymore.

Magical!

Dragonfly

Neo Member
Will this have exclusive apps that are more robust and centered on productivity, or is this just a big iPad with a $100 stylus and $170 keyboard?

My bet is on this one. I highly doubt Apple will open iOS enough for real deep applications to be used.

Servbot24

Banned
Just got mine! Best Buy had a 128gb space grey. It's not particularly useful until I get the pencil, but still very exciting!

Actually typing on the screen works pretty well. I feel no need for a keyboard.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just got mine! Best Buy had a 128gb space grey. It's not particularly useful until I get the pencil, but still very exciting!

Actually typing on the screen works pretty well. I feel no need for a keyboard.

My biggest issue is typing on an iPad while in bed, either I'm hunting or pecking, using the swipe keyboard or a keyboard stand which I really dislikes, due to the constant keyboard touchscreen back and forth interaction. If I could type easily on an iPad in bed I would make the switch completely, right now I'm using an iPad 2 as my main computer and I pine for a laptop for factor just because of the more comfortable typing/pointing when in bed.

My biggest issue is typing on an iPad while in bed, either I'm hunting or pecking, using the swipe keyboard or a keyboard stand which I really dislikes, due to the constant keyboard touchscreen back and forth interaction. If I could type easily on an iPad in bed I would make the switch completely, right now I'm using an iPad 2 as my main computer and I pine for a laptop for factor just because of the more comfortable typing/pointing when in bed.

In landscape orientation the Pro's keyboard is full-size. I can use 'proper' typing technique with my fingers above the home keys and pretty much type like I would on a real keyboard. A bit more mistakes, but my typing speed is already much faster than the hunt-pecking on the Air.

Top Bottom