• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

MercuryLS

Banned
In landscape orientation the Pro's keyboard is full-size. I can use 'proper' typing technique with my fingers above the home keys and pretty much type like I would on a real keyboard. A bit more mistakes, but my typing speed is already much faster than the hunt-pecking on the Air.

Thats encouraging. I'm excited to try out the iPad pro.

Bgamer90

Banned
Few pics of my space grey 128gb with Smart Cover and silicon case.

Had to get the case, could not bare the thought of scratching this thing.

Man. I just got the smart cover. I should probably get the silicon case too.

Oh Apple -- Got to love how they separated the two items instead of bringing them together for a smart case. :p

But anyway, my iPad will come in tomorrow so I'm looking forward to it.

Oh Apple -- Got to love how they separated the two items instead of bringing them together for a smart case. :p

I always get the official Apple cases, but $140 for both those pieces is absolutely absurd. I can't swing it

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wait the smart case doesn't cover the back???
I think I'll get a 3rd party without a keyboard but has a pencil holder. Ridiculous....

Edit: sorry misunderstood, I thought the keyboard case didn't cover the back somehow lol

Doc Holliday

People are so tribal when it comes to Apple vs pc.

I have a pc at home with a cintiq, I need a portable digital sketchbook that feels good to draw on. I don't need it to run maya or play Dota. Surface pro 4 is nice but the battery life, screen and possibly better stylus might convince me to pick up an iPad pro.

Not everyone is looking for the same things in tablets.

iPad-Pro-charts-2.002-980x735.png

Holy shit. It's just glued to 2.25GHz.

It's a little alarming how many apps don't support any of os 9's multitasking features. Amazon prime and Netflix I'm looking at you. I mean shit not even side by side!?

.hacked

Yeah noticed the iPad mini 4 had no smart case, my guess they have been scrapped. I had one for my old iPad Air but got to say this is not bad. The cover locks on great and the "hing" is much nicer then what was on the smart case. Slicone case cas some textur feel as the Smart Cover, very nice but little price as most apple things are. But keeps iPad protected, better resell down the line when it's time to upgrade.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah noticed the iPad mini 4 had no smart case, my guess they have been scrapped. I had one for my old iPad Air but got to say this is not bad. The cover locks on great and the "hing" is much nicer then what was on the smart case. Slicone case cas some textur feel as the Smart Cover, very nice but little price as most apple things are. But keeps iPad protected, better resell down the line when it's time to upgrade.

Yeah, I have a smart case on my iPad 4. Still holds up well. Giving my iPad 4 to my dad (who is still using a first gen, non retina iPad Mini).

It's a little alarming how many apps don't support any of os 9's multitasking features. Amazon prime and Netflix I'm looking at you. I mean shit not even side by side!?

There are actually quite a few things developers have to do to support Split View; some simple, some that may require architectural changes. They absolutely should, but it's not a matter of simply changing a setting. Hopefully now that the Pro is out, these developers will be shamed into providing proper support.

Sure, but I'm not talking about indie developers with no audience. These are mainstream uses for these devices. I assume it will happen sooner than later.

I've found that the Netflix app has been shit for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while for them to get PIP done.

Sure, but I'm not talking about indie developers with no audience. These are mainstream uses for these devices. I assume it will happen sooner than later.

Maybe, but I've found indie dev support for new iOS features to usually be better than the big companies. Hell, Twitter has over 100 iOS developers and the Twitter app is a thin column in the middle of the screen on the iPad Pro.

Maybe, but I've found indie dev support for new iOS features to usually be better than the big companies. Hell, Twitter has over 100 iOS developers and the Twitter app is a thin column in the middle of the screen on the iPad Pro.
That's what I mean, I have a bunch of apps that play very nice with iOS 9, all from smaller devs. And Microsoft.

Also the sound on this thing is ace.

That's what I mean, I have a bunch of apps that play very nice with iOS 9, all from smaller devs. And Microsoft.

Also the sound on this thing is ace.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. And yeah, the sound is good enough for a kitchen stereo kind of setup. It's lacking in bass and dynamic range, a bit tinny, but totally acceptable for it being a tablet.

Apple.com doesn't charge until it ships, right?

Correct.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
In landscape orientation the Pro's keyboard is full-size. I can use 'proper' typing technique with my fingers above the home keys and pretty much type like I would on a real keyboard. A bit more mistakes, but my typing speed is already much faster than the hunt-pecking on the Air.
Between this and SwiftKey intelligent word predictions , I should be very close to the real deal.

Announce this already Apple, that's the missing link:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...oller-hints-at-ultra-fast-lightning-connector

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Between this and SwiftKey intelligent word prédictions , I should be very close to the real deal.

If you use swift key on iPad pro in landscape mode, don't you look like you're conducting an orchestra?

I want more apps to support side by side, but then I don't. That mode needs better ways to search for apps to put in the side panel. Maybe let you access the multitasking view to pick one, or have a search bar. The long vertical list is just horrible, made more horrible by how much space each app icon takes up - a tiny icon surrounded by a massive amount of white space so you can only see a few apps at a time.

I also want portrait split screen (or the ability to stretch picture-in-picture to the full width of the screen in portrait). Watching landscape video in a tall SBS screen is just a waste of space. Watching a video in the top half of a portrait mode iPad would be much nicer.

marc^o^

If you use swift key on iPad pro in landscape mode, don't you look like you're conducting an orchestra?
lol the'at's about how it looks. But the way it scans my life in thousands of Evernote pages, no keyboard is as efficient at predicting what I intend to write.

I want more apps to support side by side, but then I don't. That mode needs better ways to search for apps to put in the side panel. Maybe let you access the multitasking view to pick one, or have a search bar. The long vertical list is just horrible, made more horrible by how much space each app icon takes up - a tiny icon surrounded by a massive amount of white space so you can only see a few apps at a time.

I also want portrait split screen (or the ability to stretch picture-in-picture to the full width of the screen in portrait). Watching landscape video in a tall SBS screen is just a waste of space. Watching a video in the top half of a portrait mode iPad would be much nicer.
They could/should treat it like notifications; and let you enable/disable their presence in the slide out selection. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have a yearning desire to multitask with The tips app.

The current way it works is a joke, it's already awful and not that many apps even support it yet which means it's only going to get worse as the list gets longer. Why can't they have some version of the home screen show up when you slide over?

dork

Banned

Agreed. I keep trying to pop certain apps in side by side :(

This thing is pricey as hell in Australia. For $300 more than the base model you can get a Macbook Pro.

Or a Surface Pro 4....which has far far far better specs.

We started selling them both yesteday.

Sold 30 Surface pro 4's. Microsoft store had a line down the street.

We sold 2 iPad Pro's.

It's a giant ipad.....why?

dork

Banned
Is the ipad pro the first one they removed the little switch on the side? Or did the air 2 not have it either? I liked that thing..

Doc Holliday

We sold 2 iPad Pro's.

For me... a thin tablet with long battery life, great screen, hopefully a great drawing experience and simple to use.

I have a graphics workstation at home, I don't really need one when i'm the road or on the couch. The sp4 pen is really good, but I want to try the Pencil before I make the decision.

On another note:
New Umake video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begRCk6VPWM&feature=youtu.be

marc^o^

We sold 2 iPad Pro's.

The Surface 4 will outsell iPad Pro 15:1, confirmed.

We sold 2 iPad Pro's.

Questions like this crack me up. It's because people like Apple products, they like the ecosystem and they like iOS. I have a Surface Pro 4. It's a great device and it has great specs. It's battery life is half the iPad on a good day...just last night I had a BSOD when I opened up a random web page. The display driver crashes. Sometimes it has hiccups for no reason: things don't load, programs crash, etc.

The iPad Pro is just a big iPad, yeah, but that's the point. That's what some people want. It's simple as shit to use and it's powerful. The AppStore is stock full with great apps and developers support this shit out of Apple products. The Surface will never touch the iPad in terms of usability and ease; it's a great balance of power and simplicity - it just works, as cliche as that sounds. And that's enough for most people.

Tendo

My smart case + pencil now show processing on apple.com. Does that mean they will ship sooner than 3 weeks or will it just sit on processing until it ships?

The specs where iPad Pro trumps Surface Pro 4?

64QhMxL.png

I think "specs" also cover things like amount of storage, amount of RAM, SD card slot, and bunch of other things than just CPU power. I think this is where SP4 has real value advantage over iPad Pro (especially the Core M version).

I, like you, find the A9X CPU power beyond impressive, but when it is only applied to iOS apps, I'm not quite sure why they are spending that kind of effort honestly. When a lowly Atom CPU tablets like Surface 3 can give you lag free drawing experience, A9X isn't really necessary for the task. I'd much rather see the effort spent on iPad Pro features on a 10" form factor. That would make it easier for me to suggest the purchase for my Apple only friends who like to draw on the go. Right now the 13" form factor seems too unwieldy for a lot of them.

With all the money and effort going into CPU development, you'd think Apple is in the process of porting OSX to ARM, lol. Hmmm... maybe that's not all that crazy...

Animator

Apple stores in Vancouver have demo stations with the apple pen now if anybody wants to test it out. I tried it out 10 min ago and I much prefer the surface pen. Apple pen has no weight and the tip is much larger than the surface pen which get in the way of your sketch.

They had adobe sketch and paper on the demo units. Sketch is the only one that supports the tilt shading which worked great. Wish they went with a small tip with replaceable nibs like on surface and wacom because those are much much better to sketch with than the apple pen. Lag wise I can't tell the difference between apple pen/surface. They both work great with hardly any lag unless you are looking at 250x slowed down videos.

Apple stores in Vancouver have demo stations with the apple pen now if anybody wants to test it out. I tried it out 10 min ago and I much prefer the surface pen. Apple pen has no weight and the tip is much larger than the surface pen which get in the way of your sketch.

They had adobe sketch and paper on the demo units. Sketch is the only one that supports the tilt shading which worked great. Wish they went with a small tip with replaceable nibs like on surface and wacom because those are much much better to sketch with than the apple pen. Lag wise I can't tell the difference between apple pen/surface. They both work great with hardly any lag unless you are looking at 250x slowed down videos.

I suspect the bigger tip design was a compromise to get the tilt function the way they wanted it. With a tiny inserted barrel tip like with Wacom, you can only tilt so many degrees before you start losing some of the pressure sensitivity manipulation control. Bigger tip allows you to still get subtle pressure actuation while tilted to a severe angle.

I personally never used tilt feature much on my Cintiqs (even though my main software on it like Painter and Photoshop supported it with many of the brushes), so I'd much rather have smaller tip. But from Apple's perspective, tilt is very important to wow digital art newbies (their main market IMO), and to make bullet point distinction with the Surface line.

Thanx. how would something like the ipAd Pro compare (with pen) to a Wacom Cintic.?
Anyway... No photoshop on it as we know it... So maybe they need to make one with MacOs first.
Right now i'm doing most on a Intuous Pro and that works fine, so no hurry :p.

Weevilone

Questions like this crack me up. It's because people like Apple products, they like the ecosystem and they like iOS. I have a Surface Pro 4. It's a great device and it has great specs. It's battery life is half the iPad on a good day...just last night I had a BSOD when I opened up a random web page. The display driver crashes. Sometimes it has hiccups for no reason: things don't load, programs crash, etc.

The iPad Pro is just a big iPad, yeah, but that's the point. That's what some people want. It's simple as shit to use and it's powerful. The AppStore is stock full with great apps and developers support this shit out of Apple products. The Surface will never touch the iPad in terms of usability and ease; it's a great balance of power and simplicity - it just works, as cliche as that sounds. And that's enough for most people.

I would concur. I also have a SP4 and I honestly dread picking it up to do anything. I can already tell that I won't use it for anything other than a notebook PC b/c Windows is unwieldy as a tablet (imo), but I'm mostly just annoyed that it's been a buggy POS so far. The battery drain, sleep problems, display driver crashing every 5 minutes, etc... I know that many of these things will get better over time, but I have a return window to keep an eye on so I hope they hurry.

Now if Apple would just ship my iPad Pro I could check that out.

Edit: To be clear, I'll be keeping both devices, though if SP4 doesn't clean up its act I'll need to find something else to use for work on the go.

Really curious to see how Astropad does on this thing. Shame no one actually has a Pencil yet.

Apple could have killed the need for Astropad by making the iPad Pro lightening port have better bandwidth than USB 3.0. IF they gave it Thunderbolt bandwidth, you could have easily had native resolution, full refresh rate cable dongle for like few bucks.

Maybe iPad Pro 2 would allow for that.

Animator

Thanx. how would something like the ipAd Pro compare (with pen) to a Wacom Cintic.?
Anyway... No photoshop on it as we know it... So maybe they need to make one with MacOs first.
Right now i'm doing most on a Intuous Pro and that works fine, so no hurry :p.

If all you are interested is sketching procreate is pretty awesome. Try the pen in store first and see how you like it. It is not even close to the Cintiq pen in terms of comfort and control imo. I own a 27" QHD cintiq at home and it's in a league of it's own.

If all you are interested is sketching procreate is pretty awesome. Try the pen in store first and see how you like it. It is not even close to the Cintiq pen in terms of comfort and control imo. I own a 27" QHD cintiq at home and it's in a league of it's own.
Thanx. I'll try it sometime.
Yeah, that's what i figured. I won't buy one now anyway.

Top Bottom