• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If all you are interested is sketching procreate is pretty awesome. Try the pen in store first and see how you like it. It is not even close to the Cintiq pen in terms of comfort and control imo. I own a 27" QHD cintiq at home and it's in a league of it's own.

Curious to try it now because I've seen a few Cintiq owners say the opposite. I don't own the 27hd but the 22hd.

How was the initial activation force? That's my main gripe with the Surface 3, 4 pens, i feel like it doesn't pick up really light pressure like a cintiq.

Curious to try it now because I've seen a few Cintiq owners say the opposite. I don't own the 27hd but the 22hd.

How was the initial activation force? That's my main gripe with the Surface 3, 4 pens, i feel like it doesn't pick up really light pressure like a cintiq.
Oww... Haha..

Animator

Initial activation force was very good you pretty much only have to touch the screen with it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Compared to Wacom's 1 gram and N-Trig's 10 grams, where would you estimate it at?

How fucking ridiculous is it that we even have to ask this question 2 days after the ipad pro launch. Nice job apple -_- Also horrible job by the reviewers, I'm sick of all the "artist" reviews saying shit like "compared to all the other styluses this is awesome" uhm no shit! All Ipad styluses were shit! I want to know how it compares to wacom, and Ntrig.

Apple could have killed the need for Astropad by making the iPad Pro lightening port have better bandwidth than USB 3.0. IF they gave it Thunderbolt bandwidth, you could have easily had native resolution, full refresh rate cable dongle for like few bucks.

Maybe iPad Pro 2 would allow for that.

Think that new port that they use for the keyboard might work?

I have no idea what that port is

Tendo

I used to have a Samsung 12 inch. This just feels wayyyy bigger. I'm almost worried this is too big to use.

I don't really have an answer for that, never had a problem with pressure activation with wacom, ntrig or apple pen. Give it a try in store.

I went couple of days ago after work to one of the biggest Apple store in LA. No iPad pro nor Pencil on display. Couple weeks maybe for Pencil delivery and possible store display, lol.

Think that new port that they use for the keyboard might work?

I have no idea what that port is

Not enough bandwidth. With the new display you need slightly over 1 GB (that's gigaBYTE, not gigabit) /second bandwidth even before you start pass back and forth the pen pressure, tilt and position data.

Animator

I went couple of days ago after work to one of the biggest Apple store in LA. No iPad pro nor Pencil on display. Couple weeks maybe for Pencil delivery and possible store display, lol.

They should have it for demo now. They said the same for stores here in Canada but I went today and they had six ipad pros with the pens for demo out there. The shipment availability is still weeks though. Give them a call?

They should have it for demo now. They said the same for stores here in Canada but I went today and they had six ipad pros with the pens for demo out there. The shipment availability is still weeks though. Give them a call?

I have to go to MS store 2 doors down this Saturday anyways so I will stop by then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For me... a thin tablet with long battery life, great screen, hopefully a great drawing experience and simple to use.

I have a graphics workstation at home, I don't really need one when i'm the road or on the couch. The sp4 pen is really good, but I want to try the Pencil before I make the decision.

On another note:
New Umake video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begRCk6VPWM&feature=youtu.be

aren't they both basically the same weight and screen size? Not sure if SP4 is slightly thicker but it can't be by much if they're the same weight. And there are lots of compliments about the feel of the SP4 pen with the new nibs offering different levels of friction.

Lima

Got mine today. 32GB in space gray with the black smart cover. Thing is huge but damn the screen is good. And the speed. I thought the Air 2 was quick already but this is on another level. Makes my 6S look bad as that is quite laggy sometimes with certain animations.

Certainly the smoothest iOS9 device.

All I'm going to be using it for is browsing the web and watching Youtube/Twitch etc. and the bigger screen is amazing for this.

Bgamer90

Banned
Got mine today. 32GB in space gray with the black smart cover. Thing is huge but damn the screen is good. And the speed. I thought the Air 2 was quick already but this is on another level. Makes my 6S look bad as that is quite laggy sometimes with certain animations.

Certainly the smoothest iOS9 device.

All I'm going to be using it for is browsing the web and watching Youtube/Twitch etc. and the bigger screen is amazing for this.

Thought my iPad would come in today but it's actually coming in on Monday. Looking forward to it.

I'm expecting my iPhone 6 Plus to feel really slow in comparison.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Finally got to mess with one.

It's absolutely massive. Feels significantly larger than their 12" MacBook. Also, the keyboard accessory is kind of shitty. Trying to cram the kickstand and keyboard into one accessory makes it thick, heavy, and kind of unwieldy to open and close.

Pencil was really good. Feels great in the hand. Best stylus I've used on a device outside of Wacom's.

Overall, though, funny enough - if I were to get one, I think I'd just get a 32GB and a pencil and use it as a replacement to my Air 1 - basically a faster, bigger, consumption device.

Lima

It's absolutely massive. Feels significantly larger than their 12" MacBook.
That's because it is. Pro is 12.9".

Overall, though, funny enough - if I were to get one, I think I'd just get a 32GB and a pencil and use it as a replacement to my Air 1 - basically a faster, bigger, consumption device

And there is nothing wrong with that. Same for me minus the pencil. Don't want it, don't need it.

Finally got to mess with one.

It's absolutely massive. Feels significantly larger than their 12" MacBook. Also, the keyboard accessory is kind of shitty. Trying to cram the kickstand and keyboard into one accessory makes it thick, heavy, and kind of unwieldy to open and close.

Pencil was really good. Feels great in the hand. Best stylus I've used on a device outside of Wacom's.

Overall, though, funny enough - if I were to get one, I think I'd just get a 32GB and a pencil and use it as a replacement to my Air 1 - basically a faster, bigger, consumption device.

I mean sure. Why couldn't they give us a 64GB model for $800? I mean why start at 32 and go to 128GB. I don't feel I need more than 64GB. My iPhone has 64 and I usually have 10 or 15 left over, my Air 2 is a 128GB (from work) and I only use half the memory.

Shame because with 32 GB you run out of space so fast with those big apps. Forget putting some movies on there for a flight or whatever.

Bgamer90

Banned

That's exactly what I'm going to use mines for (32 GB); Web browsing and video watching around the house.

I prefer a desktop setup for editing media.

Guess Who

Banned
The best explanation I've heard for the iPad Pro's bizarre SKU setup of 32 > 128 > 128+LTE is that the iPad Pro is expected to be a lower-selling device than other iOS devices, and one that (by virtue of its size) requires a lot of shelf space, so it'd be hard to stock at retail with three capacities and LTE variants of all of them.

That said, the baseline storage clearly should've been 64GB.

Had a chance to play around with it today at the Apple store and I was instantly glued to it just on the drawing ability alone. I tried it out for about 10 minutes on Adobe Sketch and it was insanely easy to use. Pencil feels natural in your hands and drawing on it feels even better than I imagined. Shading also felt natural with it being able to tell how far you're tilting the pencil.

Would pick one up in a heartbeat if it could just run Photoshop and Illustrator. Another small nitpick would be that it felt a little too smooth since the pencil was gliding on a smooth glass surface. It didn't have that rugged feel that drawing on a Wacom/Surface Pro has.

Will pick up a later generation Pro but man it's impressive how good they got drawing down on the first try.

22606865729_5904df8890_c.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought a 128GB Space Grey today

Game changer. This thing is magnificent. Browsing, video, etc, wow.Utterly ecstatic at the acquisition of the pencil now.

Multitasking needs refinement but when it works it's great. I see a lot of potential in the larger format... Now we just need some dope software to take advantage of the power.

Also it's a nice surprise that I can play a game and watch video at the same time. Only get sound from the vid tho.

The extended keyboard functions are a nice touch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's exactly what I'm going to use mines for (32 GB); Web browsing and video watching around the house.

I prefer a desktop setup for editing media.

I'd like to manage with a 32GB but when apps like word and excel are 500MB each, that space goes quickly. Plus I have a bunch of podcasts store for offline use. I'm used to 64GB on my current iPad and iPhone, so it'd feel weird to drop and have to fridge manage on a pro

Are you still keeping a regular iPad around the house or switching to this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a possibility for there being aftermarket pens / styli?

I'd expect third party nibs to change the traction and feel on the screen (especially after the positive comments about the surface pro 4 nibs), and sleeves to adjust the feel of the pencil in the hand, but possibly not full stylii

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm really on the fence on whether head to Apple Store to get one.

My main concern is how comfortable will the iPad Pro be to hold in one hand while reading, browsing, emailing or watching videos, because I need by other hand for swiping and writing.

I mostly use my iPad Air 2 in the bed, on the sofa and when flying.

After playing with one I am really interested in picking it up, I'm just not sure it's worth getting now without the accessories or not. The keyboard is surprisingly good, but I think it's dumb that you need two cases to cover the Pro. As for the stylus, while I don't think I'd use it a ton since I'm not an artist, I do enjoy using the stylus on the SP3 for quick notes and markups/signatures, so I would probably get it too. I'll probably have another look at the store next week before jumping in, but I'm definitely interested at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm really on the fence on whether head to Apple Store to get one.

My main concern is how comfortable will the iPad Pro be to hold in one hand while reading, browsing, emailing or watching videos, because I need by other hand for swiping and writing.

I mostly use my iPad Air 2 in the bed, on the sofa and when flying.

14 day return is perfect for this kind of 'can't tell if it'll work in my usage scenario'. Also worth checking if Apple uk have Christmas returns period up yet - you may be able to use it until January before deciding.

Does onenote on iPad have note taking support? If not I wonder if they'll add that in or keep it as a surface pro/Windows KSP?

Chittagong

Gold Member
14 day return is perfect for this kind of 'can't tell if it'll work in my usage scenario'. Also worth checking if Apple uk have Christmas returns period up yet - you may be able to use it until January before deciding.

That is an awesome idea. I can't find anything about a Christmas returns policy in the UK, but 2 weeks might be enough

Lima

One thing I will say that yes it feels kinda heavy for one handed use at first but you get quickly used to it. If you ever had a 3rd gen iPad this is only like 50g more. That alone is pretty impressive considering how much bigger it is.

LCfiner

I was at a Starbucks yesterday with a friend and I saw a guy across the table from us show up with a new ipad pro. he was just putzing around with it, looking at pictures and browsing the web. he had it in a basic case/stand. no keyboard

it’s damn big. i can see it being a real nice alternative to an 11” or 13” laptop based on the size (although it looks like it needs a desk more than a light laptop does). I do like the 4:3 ratio in landscape for webpages.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I want to get one for comics and continuing to learn to draw, will the 32 be sufficient? I hate that there's not an intermediate choice...

n64coder

I do enjoy using the stylus on the SP3 for quick notes and markups/signatures,
I never use my pen on my SP3 but this reminds me that I should use it to come up with a new signature for signing documents.

I'm surprised by the comments on the Pro still being ok for one handed use in the bed. I found my SP3 to be too big for that purpose so I continued to use my old iPad 2 until I recently upgraded to the Air 2. I find the 10" size to be best for the bedtime reading.

Tobor

I was debating between a new Macbook to replace my 2011 Mac Mini, but I rarely need a Mac anymore. I can get by just fine on iOS 99.5% of the time.

Now I'm thinking an iPad Pro is the way to go and just remote into the Mac Mini on the rare occasions I need it.

What is the best iOS remote desktop app?

Luigiv

Is there a possibility for there being aftermarket pens / styli?
It's techically not impossible but would be very unlikely. The pencil is an active stylus built on Apples own proprietary tech. It's operation is very closely intertwined with the digitiser in the tablet it self. In order for third parties to build there own stili, Apple would have to share the specs and interface of it's tech with those third parties. As far as I can tell, that's an unprecedented move in the active digitiser world. But who knows, maybe it will happen.

20cent

Banned
Curious why the pencil availability is so far away. Won't buy an iPad pro if I can't get the pencil right away.

Mookee

This is a full 100% down to 0% battery report. My iPad Pro was last plugged in on Thursday morning:

FVVN7JZ.jpg

Mostly light usage (browsing, music, podcasts...)

moeman

Could anyone comment on the ipad's capabilities as a note taking device? Are they better than the SP3? I've been looking into getting a tablet for annotating and handwriting on pdf files but the handwriting always just feels "off" to me. Hoping it might be different on the ipad.

Rion

The specs where iPad Pro trumps Surface Pro 4?

People should stop quoting that chart to prove that iPro "trumps" SP4 i5. All graphic benchmarks on iOS render in low precision mode, while those same benchmarks are forced to high on Windows.

SP4 is also much faster than iPro in CPU task, especially in multi-core operation. The benchmark that available across these 2 platforms does not fully take advantage of the CPU Instructions that are only available to X86 architecture. Any performance critical application would perform far better on a SP4.

Weevilone

If I want to get one for comics and continuing to learn to draw, will the 32 be sufficient? I hate that there's not an intermediate choice...

Comics pushed me to 128. It's possible to just download the latest issue that you're on, but I started buying in volume when theire is a sale and it downloads issues immediately. You can cancel that, but it's a hassle. You can also buy from web page and just selectively download. In fact web buying is convenient, but I usually have my iTunes account charged up with discount gift cards, so need to use those funds.

Assuming Comixology, but it also helps that most of the apps let you archive what you've read, and they'll now track where you are in each issue so that works for management.

Deku Tree

I'm still doing very good with my iPad Air 1. Plus my MBA 11 2013. Wish they updated to an iPad Air 3 this year... Oh well. Will wait to see if they iPad Pro 2 is a better laptop replacement than the rev1.

Too many things that I just couldn't do on the iPad Pro 1 that I do right now on my laptop. A lot of it (but not all of it) may be software based.

Could anyone comment on the ipad's capabilities as a note taking device? Are they better than the SP3? I've been looking into getting a tablet for annotating and handwriting on pdf files but the handwriting always just feels "off" to me. Hoping it might be different on the ipad.

I've bought one for exactly that task: annotating PDFs. Unfortunately, no pencils to be seen here in the Netherlands. I've played around with one in the store and it was amazingly responsive. I've tested the workflow at home (receive PDF by mail, copy to PDF annotation software) and it seems really easy: left hand hold the iPad and selects/unselects pen or text mode and right hand is free to write and scroll. My finger is not exactly thin enough, so I am patiently waiting for my Pencil. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap stylus somewhere.

Top Bottom