• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Tendo

I think it's one of the best. It gets a lot of bad reviews from when Amazon bought the company and stopped using in all purchases (so you have you use a website to purchase new comics) and customer service not being great.

I know this is anecdotal but I've had to contact CS twice for them and both times I got responses within an hour, one of them was on a Sunday afternoon, so if it was a problem it seems that things have changed.

I love comixology, and other than MU its my only source for buying comics. Not buying in app might be a pain, but it takes no time at all to hop in safari, make your buys on Wednesday, then pop back to the app.

Is this thing gonna be live in Apple stores? I really wanna try the pen out and see how sketching and drawing feels, in person before deciding. It'll literally make or break the product for me.

Honestly I mostly use it for watching videos at this point because my macbook is better at computer stuff and my iPhone 6s is so much faster.

If anyone wants to buy an iPad Pro and doesn't want to go to the hassle of selling their old iPad themselves (like lazy old me), Best Buy's trade-in deal isn't horrible. They gave me like $242 for my 32GB iPad Air (2013) towards iPad Pro.

Anyone having issues watching YouTube videos on their Pro? I have gigabit Internet and subscribe to Red and on the Pro the videos look like crap and often drop down to extremely low quality in the app and the website.

Fusebox

Banned
Just had a good play with the iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard cover. Love the iPad Pro, it's surprisingly light and balanced and the pencil made me want to draw. The keyboard felt naff though, I was typing like crap on it.

I'm really tempted now.

Oxn

If anyone wants to buy an iPad Pro and doesn't want to go to the hassle of selling their old iPad themselves (like lazy old me), Best Buy's trade-in deal isn't horrible. They gave me like $242 for my 32GB iPad Air (2013) towards iPad Pro.

Well my 16gb Mini 3 is only $133, so yeaa......

Holy crap, going from an iPad 2 to this is amazing. The screen, the speakers, the split screen multitasking. The OS is so responsive responsive it is night and day.

Tobor

I wonder what they'd give me for a 64GB Air?

Just had a good play with the iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard cover. Love the iPad Pro, it's surprisingly light and balanced and the pencil made me want to draw. The keyboard felt naff though, I was typing like crap on it.

I'm really tempted now.

Didn't like it either. I just use mine along with an apple bt keyboard when I want to get some heavy typing done. Never really liked tablets on those angled stands; they feel much better on those shallow book easel things or flat.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Holy crap, going from an iPad 2 to this is amazing. The screen, the speakers, the split screen multitasking. The OS is so responsive responsive it is night and day.

I may be in this same boat soon. I've been using a 2 since release and have been waiting for a reason to upgrade.

Still wondering how iPad apps perform and look on the pro?

I may be in this same boat soon. I've been using a 2 since release and have been waiting for a reason to upgrade.

Still wondering how iPad apps perform and look on the pro?

You mean ones that aren't formatted for the screen res? They just have oversized elements/layouts and have a goofy oversized keyboard. I suspect they'll fall in line soon enough.

I'm still on my iPad 3. It's been so sluggish and I really want to hop onto a new iPad. Not sure if I just go with the Pro or settle for the Air 3 whenever they get around to announcing it.

I'm still on my iPad 3. It's been so sluggish and I really want to hop onto a new iPad. Not sure if I just go with the Pro or settle for the Air 3 whenever they get around to announcing it.

Go pro brah. The screen real estate + multitasking is great ���� plus sometime next year you can write on it!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Same here. I might wait for air 3 cause pro is so expensive here in Aus.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You mean ones that aren't formatted for the screen res? They just have oversized elements/layouts and have a goofy oversized keyboard. I suspect they'll fall in line soon enough.

Yeah - games and apps from my iPad are what I'm concerned about for the moment. Is there a good drawing app our there for the Pro yet?

Guess Who

Banned

Apple and Qualcomm (the largest ARM manufacturer) will obviously continue to develop new and better chips, but there's no telling if Qualcomm will be able to keep pace with an Intel running at full pelt, and it doesn't make business sense for Apple to get into an arms race there. In fact, you could argue that it's more likely that Apple would create an iPad Pro with an Intel chip than a Mac with an Apple chip. Intel really wants in on Apple's iOS business, and if it reaches its goals for the next few years, why should Apple continue to design its own chips? It's a useless expense.

giphy.gif

This whole article is so stupid it's not even worth debunking point by point.

Sh0k

Is that trade-in price for the original Air 32GB WiFi only?

Yep. Love the new virtual keyboard as well. Hopefully, a lot of apps will update to support it-- so much better than the older one.

It boggles my mind that there aren't enough Pencils out there for every Pro. C'mon, Apple.

Can't believe I wasted time reading that... I hate these "thinker" pieces that are just based on some "highly respected analysis" opinion. Trashing Apple generates clicks I guess.

Not sure how anyone could read past this honestly

Intel really wants in on Apple's iOS business, and if it reaches its goals for the next few years, why should Apple continue to design its own chips? It's a useless expense.

Without laughing. Yes, it makes no sense for Apple to push the architecture that supports a 30 billion revenue/quarter product at 35%+ margin. They should just hand the wheel over to Intel. How's Intel doing on phones, again?

Is that trade-in price for the original Air 32GB WiFi only?
Yeah, that's what mine was. If you go to their website, they've got a page for estimating the trade-in value of your device - click on the big iPad Pro ad, then there'll be a trade-in deal link. The lowest is $100 for a 16GB iPad 2 Wifi.

Sh0k

Yeah, that's what mine was. If you go to their website, they've got a page for estimating the trade-in value of your device - click on the big iPad Pro ad, then there'll be a trade-in deal link. The lowest is $100 for a 16GB iPad 2 Wifi.

By some reason I get an estimate of $146. through the website :(

Guess Who

Banned
One thing I love is people making up random bullshit to discredit Geekbench, like:

"The [Geekbench] benchmark code is more like mobile application code than it is desktop code."

What does that even mean? Code is code is code. Practically all Geekbench does is run integer/floating point calculations and some encryption/compression algorithms. There's hardly any "application code" to speak of at all, it's just making the processor do raw math. The only thing that may throw this off from processor to processor is how it gets compiled.

Of course, their source for this is a tech businessman and analyst with, as far as I can tell, no programming or hardware expertise. He's a marketing guy.

It is fair to say that, for instance, A* processors score disproportionately high on SHA1/SHA2 calculations due to hardware acceleration, and that can skew the overall score. But the same could be said of some Intel chips with AES, and even looking at individual tests, ignoring SHA and AES entirely, A9X is very competitive. And of course synthetic benchmarks are not necessarily indicative of real world performance, but they are still useful overall for gauging processor performance, otherwise no one would use them.

ss_lemonade

Can someone explain to me why the wifi 32gb ipad air has a higher trade in value than a 64gb air 2, which is what I have (the trade in site says its worth 192)?

Deku Tree

Can someone explain to me why the wifi 32gb ipad air has a higher trade in value than a 64gb air 2, which is what I have (the trade in site says its worth 192)?

Site says $146.00 for the wifi 32gb ipad air in perfect condition.

Edit: and In general trade in values screw you on storage space, and give you no extra money for it.

I don't think the website reflects what you would get for the iPad Pro trade in deal they have going on.

My iPad 3 32gb is only getting a value of $84 when selected in Good condition. However the deal says any iPad that's a iPad 2 and higher will have a minimum of $100 towards the Pro. I'm guessing you'll need to take it in store to see what you get.

Sh0k

I don't think the website reflects what you would get for the iPad Pro trade in deal they have going on.

My iPad 3 32gb is only getting a value of $84 when selected in Good condition. However the deal says any iPad that's a iPad 2 and higher will have a minimum of $100 towards the Pro. I'm guessing you'll need to take it in store to see what you get.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. The difference in trade-in value between the iPad Air 32GB wifi graphite and silver is around $100.

Shun

This thing is huge, I really have to get used to it. Not at all like the transition from 5S to 6S+. I have yet to pick up the keyboard and pen too.

Are those out of stock or delayed? I figured I would get it later when I had the money...

Any good reviews so far?

leng jai

I'm trying to justify buying this thing but the price is just too much. If you buy the 128gb model, the keyboard and the pencil the price is a whopping $1937 AUD.

bodine1231

Picked one up yesterday and loving the hell out of it. I got it mainly for reading comic books and Hearthstone and both look absolutely incredible on that big ass screen.

I tried the Pencil in the store as well and would have bought one on the spot. I used to draw allot and playing with it for a while in the store really got me wanting to practice again.

Tried it for the drawing experience in store today and was very impressed with that minimal latency. Outside of that though, it just confirmed to me that I'll be getting a Surface Pro 4 instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tried it for the drawing experience in store today and was very impressed with that minimal latency. Outside of that though, it just confirmed to me that I'll be getting a Surface Pro 4 instead.

Why? Genuinely curious because that's my dilemma right now.

Top Bottom