• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how hard it would be for them to implement the TV OS view focusing stuff, or the ability to highlight specific icons, into iOS. Combine that with an Apple TV remote-style touch-based surface on the keyboard and I think you would have a pretty reasonable answer to the want of a mouse on this thing.

Guess Who

Banned
I wonder how hard it would be for them to implement the TV OS view focusing stuff, or the ability to highlight specific icons, into iOS. Combine that with an Apple TV remote-style touch-based surface on the keyboard and I think you would have a pretty reasonable answer to the want of a mouse on this thing.

It's already been discovered that a lot of the tvOS UI controls, including Focus Engine stuff, are present in iOS 9.1 and fully work with keyboard navigation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's already been discovered that a lot of the tvOS UI controls, including Focus Engine stuff, are present in iOS 9.1 and fully work with keyboard navigation.

So just not officially enabled, then? That's too bad, but perhaps a good sign that they're working on it.

I'm probably a little crazy but how is it for developers doing remote work which means basically lots of browser and SSH sessions.

Is there a proper SSH app for IOS at least as reliable as Terminal?
can you pair a bluetooth mac keyboard to it instead of being stuck with either the pro keyboard or whatever 3rd party keyboards appear? I guess you can't pair a magic pad..

Don't know about ssh but I use a standard Apple bt keyboard with mine (the older one) and it works great. I just need some kind of sleeve to tuck it in, I'm paranoid about putting it in my briefcase with the pro as the metals might scratch each other.

I'm probably a little crazy but how is it for developers doing remote work which means basically lots of browser and SSH sessions.

can you pair a bluetooth mac keyboard to it instead of being stuck with either the pro keyboard or whatever 3rd party keyboards appear? I guess you can't pair a magic pad..

Panic's Prompt is the best available ssh app. Not updated for the Pro's new resolution but I suspect it won't be long before that happens.

As s rule, if Panic makes it then there's not much to be gained by looking at the alternative.

Guess Who

Banned

Bluetooth Mac keyboards can be paired to iPads.

And yes, I'd recommend Prompt for SSH.

https://panic.com/prompt/

Mine shipped today, but (at the risk of stating the obvious) the pencil is OOS for a few weeks. I really just got it for astropad use so I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it until then.

Also, any thoughts on the smart keyboard? It looks neat and I want it, but I haven't heard the best things and blowing another $200 doesn't sound amazing right now.

Thanks I didn't see the post a few above mine. Awesome.
I'm still torn though. Something about the utility of a 13" MBP is difficult to give up even with some nice advantages of the big ipad pro.

I wouldn't be able to. Not just yet. Hardware is there, software is holding it back. This next year is going to be interesting.

Has there been any reviews of the Astropad being used on the Pro? Might sway me in picking a Pro up if it works better then it did with the Air.

Shun

The thirst is real, Pencils are going for mad prices on eBay.

JXZZiUJ.png

Bump that, are those even selling at those prices. Shit...

Trying to get my hands on a Pencil and Keyboard right now...

Went in to play around with one at the store

The drawing is nice, there is a strange lag visible when you draw small marks with the pencil, even though it faithfully follows movement.
I can see amateur artists not yet all into pro equipment really having fun. Apple invents digital art.

I couldn't find any way for the keyboard to operate the gui, like start safari and hit tab to get to the input box, or keys to switch between apps. Or full screen an app. Or anything like that. Maybe they are there just I don't know them.

The resistance to converge is annoying just gimme an iPad in a MacBook form factor with a touch pad and iOS.

epmode

Is it generally faster to ship to a local Apple store or ship to my home address? It's sold out everywhere.

The Apple website estimates that home delivery is faster, just want to know if I'm missing something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The drawing is nice, there is a strange lag visible when you draw small marks with the pencil, even though it faithfully follows movement.
I can see amateur artists not yet all into pro equipment really having fun. Apple invents digital art.

I couldn't find any way for the keyboard to operate the gui, like start safari and hit tab to get to the input box, or keys to switch between apps. Or full screen an app. Or anything like that. Maybe they are there just I don't know them.

The resistance to converge is annoying just gimme an iPad in a MacBook form factor with a touch pad and iOS.

Command + tab to switch between apps like on Mac OS X
Control + tab to switch between tabs in Safari

I couldn't find a way to get to the address bar in Safari with the keyboard, though.

Is it generally faster to ship to a local Apple store or ship to my home address? It's sold out everywhere.

The Apple website estimates that home delivery is faster, just want to know if I'm missing something.

Usually they're the same. If one is faster, do that one

Command + tab to switch between apps like on Mac OS X
Control + tab to switch between tabs in Safari

I couldn't find a way to get to the address bar in Safari with the keyboard, though.

In any app if you hold down CMD after a few seconds it'll display all the app-specific commands the keyboard can do

Bgamer90

Banned
Loving this so much. Bigger screen + split screen adds so much for media consumption (in comparison to the iPad 4). Man. This is pretty much perfect for what I will use it for. Couldn't be happier.

Usually they're the same. If one is faster, do that one

In any app if you hold down CMD after a few seconds it'll display all the app-specific commands the keyboard can do

well there you go..

I found a video (at the end) that compares the latency of the iPad pro pencil to the surface. They look pretty similar, and both have latency, but wow something terrible is going on with the surface pro line in terms of shape it looks like it is drawing a set of line segments if you go really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgGBW2qSV9I

you can see the same issue here with the surface stylus too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8I6tbsYH8

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a sad joke that I'm left handed and have no artistic ability. Would probably get the pencil if I did.

sarcastor

I am incredibly impressed with how little latency there is in Astropad paired wirelessly via Bluetooth. I expected that to be way worse.

Unfortunately Astropad is only for Mac. Is there a PC alternative?

If only I could actually buy one.

I think the Pencil is a hoax and they don't actually exist

You would think Apple would produce more Pencils since you realy need one for the Ipad Pro. Maybe they were expecting softer sales?

Any recommended apps or games that are legit optimized for the Pro? Just picked one up and loving it.

The App Store has a big banner in the featured section called "Awesome Apps for iPad Pro" with some great call-outs

You would think Apple would produce more Pencils since you realy need one for the Ipad Pro. Maybe they were expecting softer sales?

I can almost guarantee they were not expecting sales of this volume

I think all OEMs. including MS and Apple constantly underestimates the artist market.

There is a pent up demand on Apple side that didn't want to jump side to Windows tablets with active pressure sensitive pens. They finally give these people the device they have been waiting for and under product the Pencil. smh...

It is funny to see lot of these videos from Apple only users that treat the Pencil like a revolutionary new device when Windows side has been enjoying those feature for years. Some of these videos are cringe worthy when they are totally ignorant about the facts. But that does speak volumes about the diehard nature of the Apple fanbase. If it's not Apple, it does not exist for them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a bit surprised apple didn't do more with connectivity to Mac. I know they want iOS to be its own thing, but an official way to connect up and use the iPad pro as a second monitor for Mac, with pen input support, would have significantly increased its attractiveness I think. Also mouse support for Remote Desktop stuff would have been great

And valve, please make an iOS steam home streaming app..

Shun

While I wait for my pencil and board, is the Pencil good to use to navigate the iPad Pro?

There are times where I'll be typing and I want to draw a quick sketch or navigate between documents.

Or should I just use my finger in this case to prevent wearing out the pencil? The pencil warranty is separate right?

I'm a bit surprised apple didn't do more with connectivity to Mac. I know they want iOS to be its own thing, but an official way to connect up and use the iPad pro as a second monitor for Mac, with pen input support, would have significantly increased its attractiveness I think. Also mouse support for Remote Desktop stuff would have been great

And valve, please make an iOS steam home streaming app..

Valve care the bare minimum about OSX/iOS and not an ounce more

I don't even think Steam on OSX supports retina resolutions, and as far as I know their iOS app was JUST updated to support 6S/+ resolutions, but I can't find anything in the version history. I just remember it previously looking like trash

I'm a bit surprised apple didn't do more with connectivity to Mac. I know they want iOS to be its own thing, but an official way to connect up and use the iPad pro as a second monitor for Mac, with pen input support, would have significantly increased its attractiveness I think. Also mouse support for Remote Desktop stuff would have been great.

There is always iPad Pro 2. I'm sure that function was thought about, The problem is the super high resolution screen. The USB 3.0 controller doesn't have enough bandwidth to pass the entire resolution worth of frame buffer through USB 3.0 bandwidth without paring down the refresh rate or lower the resolution. They will have to shove in a Thunderbolt controller with iPad Pro 2 for that functionality.

Astropad is a passable solution for now. It's a very compromised way to turn iPad Pro into a pen monitor, but it's very simple to set up so most people will love it. That one video someone linked earlier clearly shows that most Apple users don't care about the compromises and will embrace it.

While I wait for my pencil and board, is the Pencil good to use to navigate the iPad Pro?

There are times where I'll be typing and I want to draw a quick sketch or navigate between documents.

Or should I just use my finger in this case to prevent wearing out the pencil? The pencil warranty is separate right?

It would be very awkward to pick up the pencil to move the cursor around while typing. On my Surface 3, I just use my finger and if needed, the arrow keys on the keyboard to fine tune the cursor.

Shun

I'm sad that Thunderbolt isn't more common. I would love to have a good thunderbolt drive for Time Machine and use Thunderbolt more outside of Display Port.

USB type C too.

Deku Tree

Any native apps like calendar or iOS mail redesigned for the larger iPad pro screen? Seems like iPad pro mail should support your OS X folders IMO

Carlisle

One thing that surprised me at the store was the lack of 3D touch. I guess it's not as necessary on an ipad where you can use multitouch gestures to interact more easily--on a phone you're relegated to just your thumb in a lot of cases so having that added dimension goes a longer way. But doesn't the pro screen have the tech to measure pressure? Don't see why they don't just flip the 3D touch button on for it.

MrBigBoy

One thing that surprised me at the store was the lack of 3D touch. I guess it's not as necessary on an ipad where you can use multitouch gestures to interact more easily--on a phone you're relegated to just your thumb in a lot of cases so having that added dimension goes a longer way. But doesn't the pro screen have the tech to measure pressure? Don't see why they don't just flip the 3D touch button on for it.
Sadly it does not have the tech for it. 3D Touch would also make the iPP heavier and ticker. I hope they implement it in the iPP2.

Carlisle

Sadly it does not have the tech for it. 3D Touch would also make the iPP heavier and ticker. I hope they implement it in the iPP2.

Ahh, I thought that was how it measured pressure from the pencil, but I guess that tech is all in the pencil... which makes sense then. But now I'm confused why the pencil wouldn't work on older iPads! Oh well.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I preordered the pencil.

I would impulse buy this iPad this afternoon if it was in stock in Paris, but I couldn't find it. As it has to be preordered, I'll wait few more days to see how close I am to make my quota.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X, would be perfect. Basically a Surface Pro 4, but OS X. Until then 13" MacBook Pro all day.

Edit-$800 for basic iPad Pro 32GB + $99 for the Pencil + $169 for keyboard = $1067 Yeah that's MacBook Pro territory. If it ran full OS X, like the Surface Pro 4 can run Windows 10 I could see the point, but this is just iOS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X, would be perfect. Basically a Surface Pro 4, but OS X. Until then 13" MacBook Pro all day.
The minute Apple allows an USB 3 HDD compatibility with the iPad Pro, I'll sell my mac mini. Until then I have to keep it, 128go isn't enough for my 2To photo library.

Top Bottom