• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Tobor

I asked before, but no one answered, does anyone have an opinion on the best Remote Desktop software for iOS? I want to remote into my Mac Mini using iPad/iPad pro.

Astro pad is just for drawing. That won't work for me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I asked before, but no one answered, does anyone have an opinion on the best Remote Desktop software for iOS? I want to remote into my Mac Mini using iPad/iPad pro.

I use Screens to replicate what's on my mac on my iPad, and Mobile Mouse to replace my keyboard mouse.

it ran full OS X, like the Surface Pro 4 can run Windows 10 I could see the point, but this is just iOS.
I have bought +100 apps on iOS vs 4 on OSX. It may seem hard to see for you, but I do way more things on iOS than on OSX, and I mean way more.

btkadams

An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X, would be perfect. Basically a Surface Pro 4, but OS X. Until then 13" MacBook Pro all day.

Edit-$800 for basic iPad Pro 32GB + $99 for the Pencil + $169 for keyboard = $1067 Yeah that's MacBook Pro territory. If it ran full OS X, like the Surface Pro 4 can run Windows 10 I could see the point, but this is just iOS.
That could definitely be the case for some people.

I personally use my desktop for Ableton Live (music editing software) and it would run like crap on this thing because of the power inside this device, let alone the fact the software takes up 100 gb on my computer. The only other thing I use my desktop for at this point is games, and those also wouldn't run well on the specs inside such a small device.

The iPad pro is more than capable of doing everything else for me.

What Apple needs to do more than anything is make an extremely low latency display app that lets you use the iPad as a wireless display (or have it use the Lightning port) with a computer in a local area network. I think that would be useful for a lot of people interested in a pro device.

Guess Who

Banned

Screens is usually considered the best, though it's expensive by (the admittedly very cheap) iOS App Store standards.

Carlisle

I've heard good things about Screens. I've been using iTeleport since the iPad 2 days and it's been great, no complaints. It authenticates through your google account for off-network remoting. If you're on the same network there's no need to authenticate, it just sees your Mac and connects.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That could definitely be the case for some people.

I personally use my desktop for Ableton Live (music editing software) and it would run like crap on this thing because of the power inside this device, let alone the fact the software takes up 100 gb on my computer. The only other thing I use my desktop for at this point is games, and those also wouldn't run well on the specs inside such a small device.

The iPad pro is more than capable of doing everything else for me.

What Apple needs to do more than anything is make an extremely low latency display app that lets you use the iPad as a wireless display (or have it use the Lightning port) with a computer in a local area network. I think that would be useful for a lot of people interested in a pro device.

This brings up an interesting question...

How strong is music production on something like the iPad Pro? That's another thing I'd love to use it for if it were capable.

Tobor

I use Screens to replicate what's on my mac on my iPad, and Mobile Mouse to replace my keyboard mouse.

I have bought +100 apps on iOS vs 4 on OSX. It may seem hard to see for you, but I do way more things on iOS than on OSX, and I mean way more.

Screens is usually considered the best, though it's expensive by (the admittedly very cheap) iOS App Store standards.

I've heard good things about Screens. I've been using iTeleport since the iPad 2 days and it's been great, no complaints. It authenticates through your google account for off-network remoting. If you're on the same network there's no need to authenticate, it just sees your Mac and connects.

Thanks guys! I don't mind paying for quality, and Screens does have great reviews. I'll give it a whirl.

artsi

None of the large retailers in my country have the pencil coming in soon, but a small Apple reseller says they'll maybe have some tomorrow so I reserved one. Hopefully it's true and I can go buy the iPad too (which isn't that hard to get), lol.

Stanley 'Artgerm' trying out the iPad Pro

First sketch on the iPad Pro and the Pencil with the Adobe Sketch app. This thing is performing way better than I expected. Very pleased. I should do a video review for those of you who are thinking about getting one.

12247139_10153812556080159_3705929731121650116_n.jpg

Best remote desktop software, IMO, is Jump Desktop. It's pricey, but it works beautifully. I can get to all of my desktop/servers via any of my iOS devices using this software.

Stanley 'Artgerm' trying out the iPad Pro

12247139_10153812556080159_3705929731121650116_n.jpg

Goodness I wish I could draw like that. Having an iPad Pro means I'll pick up drawing again (one can always improve) but I doubt I ever attain to that level of greatness. I hope my son tries to draw on the Pro. I think he was some artistic talent.

Katori

This might be a dumb question, but does any VNC app support mice? I know Citrix supports mice, that's the only reason I ask. I know they'd pretty much have to write their own driver for it but that'd be a killer feature.

Thanks.

So should I just preorder a pencil now, or is there a small chance that some shops will get them?

I just preordered from Apple and if I get lucky and find it before then, I'll cancel. I'm hoping Apple moves up the delivery estimate... it has happened before with other orders, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just preordered from Apple and if I get lucky and find it before then, I'll cancel. I'm hoping Apple moves up the delivery estimate... it has happened before with other orders, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I did. I have no idea what the hold-up with them is but I figured that getting in the queue now can't hurt and, if they suddenly start showing up in stores, I can always cancel.

And I guess I'm in the queue. I didn't realize I could just cancel if I find it locally before. Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I use either Iteleport or teamviewer. Have been using Iteleport for years but recently it's been a bit slow updating the screen.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
iPad Pro's touch sensor doubles its sensitivity when using the Pencil, reading touches at 120hz instead of 60hz. Older iPads don't have that ability.

I thought it was 240? Or is that the pencil itself?

What I read was that the refresh rate of the screen goes from 30 to 60mhz when you're using it.

artsi

I thought it was 240? Or is that the pencil itself?

What I read was that the refresh rate of the screen goes from 30 to 60mhz when you're using it.

The default (with a finger) should be 120hz, and the pencil ups that to 240hz. Don't know about the screen refresh rate though, I always thought it's 60hz.

I'm really interested how Wacom answers to this, they just can't ignore Apple's gravity in the market against their 13" Cintiq and Companion devices with all this positive feedback the Pencil is getting.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The default (with a finger) should be 120hz, and the pencil ups that to 240hz. Don't know about the screen refresh rate though, I always thought it's 60hz.

I'm really interested how Wacom answers to this, they just can't ignore Apple's gravity in the market against their 13" Cintiq and Companion devices with all this positive feedback the Pencil is getting.

I was reading that the 30mhz to 60mhz was a hack by apple to keep the perfomance at such a resolution possible. I'll try and get the link somewhere.

Wacom needs to respond quickly, Ipad Pro already killed their Bamboo styluses for ipads. Surface went to Ntrig and is a better machine than the Companion at a cheaper price albeit without the awesome panel buttons. Wacom pens have remained largely the same since the Intuos 3. Instead of making a cintiq that is cheaper, thinner, with a screen that wont scratch easily, or one without shitty antiglare they gave us the 27hd, a 2700 cintiq -_-

MrGerbils

I'm a bit surprised apple didn't do more with connectivity to Mac. I know they want iOS to be its own thing, but an official way to connect up and use the iPad pro as a second monitor for Mac, with pen input support, would have significantly increased its attractiveness I think. Also mouse support for Remote Desktop stuff would have been great

And valve, please make an iOS steam home streaming app..

I know it'll never happen, but I would die for Xbox in home streaming to iOS.

MS was at the apple press conference to show off Office on the Pro, so crazier things have happened I guess..

LCfiner

regarding VNC apps. my issue with screens (older version, anyway) is that it only supported touchscreen mode where your tap moved the mouse cursor immediately to a new spot.

iteleport is nice in that it allows for either touchscreen mode or cursor control mode which can give you more fine control (screen acts like trackpad and you can move mouse traditionally)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
regarding VNC apps. my issue with screens (older version, anyway) is that it only supported touchscreen mode where your tap moved the mouse cursor immediately to a new spot.

iteleport is nice in that it allows for either touchscreen mode or cursor control mode which can give you more fine control (screen acts like trackpad and you can move mouse traditionally)

Teamviewer is the same. Can't use touchscreen mode,much prefer trackpad mode. This is why these VNC apps should have free trials. £10-15 isn't a lot, but if i'dhave blind bought that,I'd have been really annoyed.

Does jump desktop have a trackpad mode?

Weevilone

Teamviewer is the same. Can't use touchscreen mode,much prefer trackpad mode. This is why these VNC apps should have free trials. £10-15 isn't a lot, but if i'dhave blind bought that,I'd have been really annoyed.

Does jump desktop have a trackpad mode?

I'm a little bit confused by the terminology. Are you guys just looking to use the OSX desktop via touch without guiding a mouse pointer around?

I've used Screens sparingly but will be more tempted to do so with the size of the Pro.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a little bit confused by the terminology. Are you guys just looking to use the OSX desktop via touch without guiding a mouse pointer around?

I've used Screens sparingly but will be more tempted to do so with the size of the Pro.

Iteleport and teamviewer have two modes for cursor control
- touchscreen is direct. Where you touch on the screen acts like clicking the mouse at that location. I don't like this mode because on a smaller iPad with a fat finger, that can be inaccurate.
- trackpad is indirect. When you move your finger on the screen, it moves the mouse cursor. When you tap the screen, it clicks wherever the mouse cursor currently is. This lets you keep your finger to one side so you can always see where the cursor is pointing.

Chinner

Banned
My laptop has broken, so I'm looking for some type of replacement. Currently trying to decide between the air 2 and pro.

Most of my uses will be streaming, browsing, gaming and music. Maybe the occasional word document. Will be used at home exclusively. Will the pro be too cumbersome for use in bed or when gaming?

Will not be used for art.

Any advice? Is the experience on the pro worth the extra cash? Can it still be used comfortably?

n64coder

Iteleport and teamviewer have two modes for cursor control
- touchscreen is direct. Where you touch on the screen acts like clicking the mouse at that location. I don't like this mode because on a smaller iPad with a fat finger, that can be inaccurate.
- trackpad is indirect. When you move your finger on the screen, it moves the mouse cursor. When you tap the screen, it clicks wherever the mouse cursor currently is. This lets you keep your finger to one side so you can always see where the cursor is pointing.

So how is team viewer for the mac? I have used it on my iPad to control my Windows server and I was impressed how well it works. It's also great when you are at work and need to get something from your home machine.

My laptop has broken, so I'm looking for some type of replacement. Currently trying to decide between the air 2 and pro.

Most of my uses will be streaming, browsing, gaming and music. Maybe the occasional word document. Will be used at home exclusively. Will the pro be too cumbersome for use in bed or when gaming?

Will not be used for art.

Any advice? Is the experience on the pro worth the extra cash? Can it still be used comfortably?
I use mine in bed all the time, but only do word processing at my desk with a Bluetooth keyboard.

Re games, probably depends on the game, but banner saga looks incredible; only a few in game elements are lower res

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So how is team viewer for the mac? I have used it on my iPad to control my Windows server and I was impressed how well it works. It's also great when you are at work and need to get something from your home machine.

Absolutely fine, same as with my windows machine. Also because I have teamviewer on my iPad, Windows desktop and Mac mini, it means i can remote into my Mac mini from my desktop if I'm there at the time, which is convenient.

Mine just arrived! The size is big, but honestly not as overwhelming as I thought it'd be. It's funny, coming from an iPad 2, the Pro is so much thinner and seems lighter too. I was definitely due for an upgrade...

I bought it primarily to take notes and sketch with for work, but until I get a pencil, it'll be my gigantic overpriced and overpowered comic book reader. I can't wait to get home and load all my comics into Comic Zeal.

Wacom needs to respond quickly, Ipad Pro already killed their Bamboo styluses for ipads. Surface went to Ntrig and is a better machine than the Companion at a cheaper price albeit without the awesome panel buttons. Wacom pens have remained largely the same since the Intuos 3. Instead of making a cintiq that is cheaper, thinner, with a screen that wont scratch easily, or one without shitty antiglare they gave us the 27hd, a 2700 cintiq -_-

Actually, they already have. And they have won back a lot of OEM wins on Windows side. (New Dells has switched back from Synaptics, as have few others)

It's called Wacom Active ES. ES stands for Electro Static, and it's their own speak for Projected Capacitive pen digitizer. Basically their take on N-Trig solution. It's inside the new Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14/460 I just bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFE9-luWzc

Active ES address the key flaws of Wacom EMR (Electro Magnetic Resonance):

- Added thickness to the tablet (uses a magnetic field emitting board under the LCD and lighting assembly)

- Edge drifting and wobbling (due to lack of board beyond the edge of the screen to stabilize the signal location)

- Pen angle distortion (the angle you hold the pen distorts the cursor location due to resonator location in the pen).

- Screen rotation distortion of X/Y calibration (If you calibrate the screen for one orientation, the rotated calibration is shot due to the angle of the pen is held)

- Parallax of cursor (due to the digitizer board being underneath the LCD and lighting assembly)

With Active ES, you get the pen cursor location accuracy of the N-Trig no matter the orientation of the screen while getting the software support and the awesome pressure curve and low initial insertion force of Wacom pens. The only thing you give up is the digitizer granularity/resolution (which is easily made up with software compensation), "free" pen angle sensing, and huge hover distance of the EMR.

IMO all Wacom has to do is start adding tilt and barrel rotation sensors to the AES pens and they can finally let go of their EMR stuff for the small (15.6" of less) screens. Bigger than 15.6", AES/Pro Cap digitizers get stupid expensive to make, so they need to hang on to their EMR business for the large Cintiqs until the prices of AES/Pro Cap boards come down for large sizes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mine just arrived! The size is big, but honestly not as overwhelming as I thought it'd be. It's funny, coming from an iPad 2, the Pro is so much thinner and seems lighter too. I was definitely due for an upgrade...

I bought it primarily to take notes and sketch with for work, but until I get a pencil, it'll be my gigantic overpriced and overpowered comic book reader. I can't wait to get home and load all my comics into Comic Zeal.

Same exact situation here, haha. Waiting until Best Buy gets their shipment tomorrow.

Any good Bluetooth keyboards with arrow keys?

Tendo

Ugh, I'm hungering for that pencil. Come on Apple! Ship it sooner!

I'm near an east coast apple store. Hopefully they get them sooner.

Top Bottom