• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Originally had a delivery date of Dec 1-Dec 3rd, now I have a delivery date of Nov 25th. Keep an eye out guys, it'll probably get bumped up!

Edit: triple post and I don't give a FUUUUUUCK

They had one at the Apple Store; an employee let me open it and test it out. While the keyboard is pretty nice, I'm not so fond of the bulky, rough canvas exterior. The material feels cheap compared to Apple's covers. But a bigger problem is the weight; all that bulk adds up to 1.6 pounds, which when combined with the iPad Pro makes it heavier than the new Macbook (~3lbs vs ~2lbs).
That's disappointing but I may end up getting it anyways. I really want some kind of keyboard before my trip and I'm getting tired of trying to find one in stores.

sarcastor

Originally had a delivery date of Dec 1-Dec 3rd, now I have a delivery date of Nov 25th. Keep an eye out guys, it'll probably get bumped up!

Mines coming tomorrow but I have to use my fingers like a frickin Neanderthal for 5-6 weeks until Apple decides to make more pencils :(

sarcastor

However, my local Apple Store looks to be getting daily shipments. 20 on Tuesday and 10 today. I expect it's the same at other stores as well, keep an eye out!

Fucking apple. Do you call them everyday? Cause that would suck.

Any case recommendations? I don't want to pay $80 for Apple's lame case. This looks decent, and only $10

I'd totally pay a finder's fee if someone with pencil access could snag me one. Nearest apple store is 3 hrs away, so I don't feel comfortable relying on them to hold one for me even if they do get stock..

I'd totally pay a finder's fee if someone with pencil access could snag me one. Nearest apple store is 3 hrs away, so I don't feel comfortable relying on them to hold one for me even if they do get stock..
I tried that. They won't hold them. Unless maybe you had a business account. I got the sense through my phone conversation with the store that a business account might have opened up that option. Not positive of that though,

I tried that. They won't hold them. Unless maybe you had a business account. I got the sense through my phone conversation with the store that a business account might have opened up that option. Not positive of that though,

yeah, I don't have a business account or know anyone who has one... so driving to the apple store myself is out, it seems. Good to know so I can avoid wasting my time on a trip.

Gotta say, once you get in the groove of multitasking, it works extremely well. It's very intuitive to slide stuff in and out, and actually very quick in terms of getting multiple windows of content going at once.

Needs some refinement, aka more apps to play nice, and drag/drop, but it's great otherwise. I've used my mbp maybe an hour tops since having this.

I do think rev b will be even better assuming they bring force touch out to play. Especially in conjunction with the pencil*

*still don't have... Maybe tomorrow 🙌🏻😭

Gotta say, once you get in the groove of multitasking, it works extremely well. It's very intuitive to slide stuff in and out, and actually very quick in terms of getting multiple windows of content going at once.

Needs some refinement, aka more apps to play nice, and drag/drop, but it's great otherwise. I've used my mbp maybe an hour tops since having this.

I do think rev b will be even better assuming they bring force touch out to play. Especially in conjunction with the pencil*

*still don't have... Maybe tomorrow 🙌🏻😭

I know I'm repeating myself but they seriously need to re-think the way you select a second app. I just scrolled through the entire list to find out that the app I was looking for isn't even there.

Majine

Banned
I know I'm repeating myself but they seriously need to re-think the way you select a second app. I just scrolled through the entire list to find out that the app I was looking for isn't even there.

Alphabetical order would be nice, and a scrubber at the side (like in Music, Contacts etc.)

Messed around with the pencil a bunch tonight. I'm not a professional artist so I can't compare to other devices but it worked really well for me-- I don't think I could have asked for anything better. The Notes app is very snappy with the pencil and works really well as a basic sketch pad. Did some fooling around in Procreate and worked well there as well. I definitely need to educate myself in that app because I had very little idea what I was doing.

DEATH™;186142307 said:
How good is it compatibility and performance wise?

Astropad over wifi looks like takes a 1024x768 section of your desktop and quad pumps the pixels on to your iPad Pro. The Pencil works great though with minimal lag.

DEATH™

No idea! Haven't used it myself. Here's a video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g8xZedh_hUQ

Watched it already as I research. I understand the "feel" part, but that was it?

I mean, I wanna know it pressure sensitivity/max tilt and if it works well with other 2D and 3D programs like Manga Studio, Painter, Maya, ZBrush etc. If the softwares can't recognize the iPad Pro as well then it might not be worth it.

Astropad over wifi looks like takes a 1024x768 section of your desktop and quad pumps the pixels on to your iPad Pro. The Pencil works great though with minimal lag.

Gotcha. Is it possible to do it fully wired though?

I wish these things give Wacom a much needed competition... They have been overpriced for so long...

DEATH™;186144203 said:
Watched

Gotcha. Is it possible to do it fully wired though?

I wish these things give Wacom a much needed competition... They have been overpriced for so long...

USB connection is an option but even with USB 3.0 you can't do the full frame buffer of iPad Pro screen @ 24bit color and 60 Hz update. You only have enough for half that bandwidth.

Top Bottom